IGNORED

Paul Simpson and Keith Downing have left

ray savino

1 minute ago, 2015 said:

I will never know how we managed to have a coaching team of Holden/Downing/Simpson after a month without a Manager, when LJ left us in more than an adequate position for a proven manager to push us on.

To me it will be a huge turning point in the History of this club over the next decade. A huge c*** up similar to the club choosing Pulis over Moyes. It has set this club back years

And it appears that it’s another decision needed to move us forward in the plan.

1 hour ago, 2015 said:

I get the feeling it was NP assessing whether the pair were up for the job and has seen that they aren't good enough and gave them a fair chance. That's how I'm looking at it anyway

I think this season is exactly that a test run not just for coaching staff but players to,COVID played a massive part last year he will get it right just needs to finish the jigsaw and put those pieces in place.

1 hour ago, Port Said Red said:

I just have a memory of my dad telling me that he put out a disclaimer in the local press to say he was not a Catholic or involved with any local Irish organisations? As is often the case with these things it's a secondhand report from a period many years ago... 

Why did your father do that?

Was he concerned about not being accepted in a B&B in Weston-super-Mare?

Don't tell me he had a dog as well!

?

On 25/10/2021 at 23:32, Port Said Red said:

It's before me time so @cidered abroad may have a fuller story, but I seem to remember from the HD book that it was to do with summer pay, which I think HD had promised would remain the same as winter pay? Doherty tried to go back on that agreement.

There was also some issues around the Irish players he signed and sectarianism? 

It's in the Atyeo biography. A lot went pear shaped that season, including a split in the dressing room. There are suggestions that, amongst other things, religion may have been a factor but from the ouside looking in and from a distance of 60 odd years, a simple: The established players .v. The manager's new signings seems more likely. Doherty was an unorthodox manager and it's fair to say the established players didn't take to some of his unusual methods (I have that from one of the established players in that dressing room at the time).     

Edited by Merrick's Marvels
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Moments of Pleasure said:

Like Joe, Mick and Paul in 1976, down that back alley in West London, ass they're about to rock the/our world. And they know it....

You'd guess it was wouldn't you, or maybe under the Westway, but I think it was actually Camden Market!

2 hours ago, mozo said:

Why is this happening now? 

If they were surplus to requirements, why didn't we get rid in the summer?

Has something gone wrong behind the scenes?

Because things aren't going to plan, our direction of travel is downward (or stalled if you're feeling generous), there's no money to spend, the manager isn't having the impact he hoped for and things are slowly getting desperate, so this is a final roll of the dice in an attempt to stave off a relegation dogfight.   

Edited by Merrick's Marvels

54 minutes ago, Hampshire reds said:

Alex Ball been promoted has that been confirmed or was that a temporary move to take in the WBA game.  

The fact that no replacement is being sought combined with Micky Bell's addition to the academy on a full time basis would indicate its not just a short thing, if Micky was just filling in there would be no need to announce it

There has been some restructuring of the non playing/ non coaching staff regarding the first team this week too. People who work on the logistics at the HPC and matchday home and away. I don’t think anyone has left but people have been shuffled around or given new titles.

• Like 1
  • Hmmm 1

I wish Paul and Keith well for the future. I hope Paul is recovering well from his illness. We need a top coach to come in to help this team. I keep reading about a plan. Sorry if i have missed something as i dont see any sign of a plan. At the moment we are in free fall. I dont get why people have so much faith in Nige.  Correct me if i have this wrong but we have one 6 games since he has been here the first win paul and Keith were in charge and the Peterborough win he was at home. I dont want to be negative but facts are facts. For me when Dean left the coaches should have gone also. I get nige came into a mess but 17 home games without a win. That is dreadful. So can someone tell me what is the plan. Hopefully Paul and Keith get jobs soon as both come over as a couple of nice guys.

• Haha 1
  • Sad 2

1 hour ago, Hampshire reds said:

I wish Paul and Keith well for the future. I hope Paul is recovering well from his illness. We need a top coach to come in to help this team. I keep reading about a plan. Sorry if i have missed something as i dont see any sign of a plan. At the moment we are in free fall. I dont get why people have so much faith in Nige.  Correct me if i have this wrong but we have one 6 games since he has been here the first win paul and Keith were in charge and the Peterborough win he was at home. I dont want to be negative but facts are facts. For me when Dean left the coaches should have gone also. I get nige came into a mess but 17 home games without a win. That is dreadful. So can someone tell me what is the plan. Hopefully Paul and Keith get jobs soon as both come over as a couple of nice guys.

Plan: stay up and improve next season

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

28 minutes ago, Tinmans Love Child said:

Agreed this is all about steadying the ship, sorting a few things out behind the scenes, shipping out the dead wood, then hitting it hard next season

Steadying the ship?  At the moment we’re sinking like a stone.  If by ‘sorting a few things out’ you mean ‘halt our disastrous home run and get the team playing well and reversing our inevitable slide towards relegation’, then I’m completely with you!

• Like 2
  • Flames 1

2 hours ago, Hampshire reds said:

If we win Saturday what will  you have to post about. And if you don't mean to be negative you are failing badly. You turn a topic about two coaches leaving in to your usual anti Pearson rant. Broken records come to mind.

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1
  • Flames 1