IGNORED

Paul Simpson and Keith Downing have left

ray savino

5 hours ago, Robbored said:

If any poster had any genuine inside knowledge they’d hardly post it on here and why it’s all speculation and rumour.

The only things I believe are posted on the OS - that’s the only way we know that it’s genuine.

I had actually written my reply above before I read this. Uncanny or are you just predictable?

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, Loco Rojo said:

I wonder if Nigel has plans to replace either or both with people he's worked with previously?

He’s already replaced one of them, hasn’t he?

Fleming had never worked as a coach with him before & the one that keeps getting suggested (Craig Shakespeare) is at Villa.

1 hour ago, RedM said:

I had actually written my reply above before I read this. Uncanny or are you just predictable?

RedM - I seriously doubt that you or any other poster on here are itk but if you are what benefit does that give everyone else on otib?.

Nobody itk can post anything confidential on here. If they did that would compromise their source and Ive been in exactly that situation many times over the years.

6 hours ago, JonDolman said:

I think Downing was brought in as the defensive coach and Simpson attacking.

Not sure how it works now. Downing used to be up in the stands under Holden whereas now it seems to be Pearson + a young looking man who is probably some sort of performance analyst with a laptop. Or I guess it's just that young man when Nige is in the dugout.

I read somewhere about Downing being obsessed with every little detail in our defence when we concede a goal. So yeah seems like that's more his role.

It frustrates me seeing how bad we often are in possession, but I also completely agree with you on the defensive side. For the players we have we look really vulnerable and surely something that can be improved with good coaching on the training ground.

Keeping possession better though probably only helps our defence. It's such a shame as we have 2 very mobile centre backs in Kalas and Atkinson so we could play a high line and play some good stuff, taking some risks as we have pace to cope well in one on ones if teams break.

Both Simmo and Keith intimated (more than once) that they did not have specific forward or defensive roles, and just did what was needed on a day to day basis by the head coach.  Natural to assume that the flair player in his day (Simmo) would do the attacking stuff and the steady-Eddie midfielder in his day (Keith) woukd coach the defensive stuff, but I never saw that in the videos.  Keith always doing the striker work….in fact I’d say Keith much more involved in the training video stuff than Simmo.

5 hours ago, Henry said:

Because you alluded to knowing more, people speculated.

I was told at 09:24 this morning Simmo had been sacked.  I asked person if it was health related and he replied nope.  The person is not Paul Binning / Exiled Robin in case you wondered, but someone who is close to someone at the club with loose lips!!

4 hours ago, Kid in the Riot said:

Apparently both were due to leave at the expiry of their contracts, so not quite the "jumping ship for glory" move it was sold to us as by Mr Ashton.

Working in senior football at a C'ship club (top 10 at the time!) is more prestigious, and well-paid, than working in youth football for the FA - even if it is for the national side.

It was a good move for the pair of them, and an offer they wouldn't have got from any other club at this level, and for that, they and us have Mr Ashton to thank. 

Yep, the view that England age group head-coach roles beneath u21 level is a high paid job is very unlikely to be the case, hence why we have had the likes of Kevin Betsy involved at this level.  Far better paid in the Championship is my guess.  I’d question whether the FA would attract the best for our kids if they paid more.

No disrespect to Keith or Simmo who achieved success with England, nor can I comment on their performance at City either, I’m sure most of the time they were under instruction from Holden or Pearson.

I would love to know how much input Holden had.  Simmo was his manager at Shrewsbury, but I never quite heard an interview where Deano really said it was his choice.  He admitted he only knew of Keith from seeing him at St Georges, not that he’d struck up a relationship with him.

7 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

Both Simmo and Keith intimated (more than once) that they did not have specific forward or defensive roles, and just did what was needed on a day to day basis by the head coach.  Natural to assume that the flair player in his day (Simmo) would do the attacking stuff and the steady-Eddie midfielder in his day (Keith) woukd coach the defensive stuff, but I never saw that in the videos.  Keith always doing the striker work….in fact I’d say Keith much more involved in the training video stuff than Simmo.

I was told at 09:24 this morning Simmo had been sacked.  I asked person if it was health related and he replied nope.  The person is not Paul Binning / Exiled Robin in case you wondered, but someone who is close to someone at the club with loose lips!!

Yep, the view that England age group head-coach roles beneath u21 level is a high paid job is very unlikely to be the case, hence why we have had the likes of Kevin Betsy involved at this level.  Far better paid in the Championship is my guess.  I’d question whether the FA would attract the best for our kids if they paid more.

No disrespect to Keith or Simmo who achieved success with England, nor can I comment on their performance at City either, I’m sure most of the time they were under instruction from Holden or Pearson.

I would love to know how much input Holden had.  Simmo was his manager at Shrewsbury, but I never quite heard an interview where Deano really said it was his choice.  He admitted he only knew of Keith from seeing him at St Georges, not that he’d struck up a relationship with him.

I got the impression it was a knee-jerk appointment after the "vigorous/rigorous" search for the manager resulted in DH, by you know who…

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

7 hours ago, Robbored said:

The only things I believe are posted on the OS - that’s the only way we know that it’s genuine.

I believe that you and GJ had somewhat of a disagreement. I don't remember that being posted on the OS.

Are you able to confirm that it was genuine......or not?

?

Edited by Redtucks
  • Like 1
  • Haha 3
  • Flames 1

It certainly makes sense that Nige is now clearing the decks and paving a way for his own staff to come in.
Downing and Simpson seem like good guys but the whole trio of them and Holden was a complete car crash of appointments they should have all got the sack together IMO.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, GrahamC said:

He’s already replaced one of them, hasn’t he?

Fleming had never worked as a coach with him before & the one that keeps getting suggested (Craig Shakespeare) is at Villa.

Good shout about Flemming. He may have been one in Nigels mind to replace one of them or maybe there's someone else as well? Shakespeare would be a great shout but I can't see him leaving Villa to come here.

Whatever happens next, it does feel like a change/improvement in the coaching set up (excluding Nigel) is required if we're unable to spend on the playing staff.

Edited by Loco Rojo

17 minutes ago, Loco Rojo said:

Good shout about Flemming. He may have been one in Nigels mind to replace one of them or maybe there's someone else as well? Shakespeare would be a great shout but I can't see him leaving Villa to come here.

Whatever happens next, it does feel like a change/improvement in the coaching set up (excluding Nigel) is required if we're unable to spend on the playing staff.

Might not be anyone coming in.  Pearson - Fleming assistant - Downing and Cisse coaches - Mountain goalkeeping coach.

• Sad 1

7 hours ago, VT05763 said:

Yes, top of the league and playing great football until the Boro game and the injuries started.

From then until now absolute dross.

Playing great football? We were winning games such as Forest away and getting obliterated at the same time. We haven’t played great football at any time since Wolves turned us over about 4 years ago.

• Like 9

3 hours ago, Davefevs said:

They weren't Dean's men, they were Ashton's, which makes even more sense that Pearson would move them on. They weren't even picked by a football man.  I don't know if it's been confirmed but I don't think Downing (who appears even more hapless than Simpson imo) will survive. 

My view is there will be an incoming in the not too distant future. I said back in January or whenever it was that I'd have quite happily seen both of the Chuckle brothers go along with Dean. 

The standard of coaching must have been very poor to deliver the performances and results over the past 18 months. Neither Downing nor Simpson will be missed, but best wishes to the latter with his health issues. 

• Like 5
  • Flames 1

5 hours ago, Robbored said:

RedM - I seriously doubt that you or any other poster on here are itk but if you are what benefit does that give everyone else on otib?.

Nobody itk can post anything confidential on here. If they did that would compromise their source and Ive been in exactly that situation many times over the years.

So you're saying that, in the past, you've been itk? 

53 minutes ago, Kid in the Riot said:

They weren't Dean's men, they were Ashton's, which makes even more sense that Pearson would move them on. They weren't even picked by a football man.  I don't know if it's been confirmed but I don't think Downing (who appears even more hapless than Simpson imo) will survive. 

My view is there will be an incoming in the not too distant future. I said back in January or whenever it was that I'd have quite happily seen both of the Chuckle brothers go along with Dean. 

The standard of coaching must have been very poor to deliver the performances and results over the past 18 months. Neither Downing nor Simpson will be missed, but best wishes to the latter with his health issues. 

Exactly my view.

As an outsider Simpson filled me with slightly more confidence than Downing, too.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Kid in the Riot said:

Why’s it taken so long? Financial reasons?

36 minutes ago, YGBjammy said:

Wonder who's coming in, and if it'll be one incoming or two? ?

Either way always felt these two were slightly underwhelming appointments along with Holden. England youth coach roles sadly don't mean a lot. 

I've never really got what they brought to the party and it just never seemed a good fit.  NP has had time to come to the same opinion I think.  Might well be as simple as they haven't got the wherewithal to get across NPs message, tactics and formations to the players. Let's be honest, they been the one consistent feature through our terrible home run, numerous late collapses and lack of shape on the field.  Coincidence?

• Like 1