IGNORED

Successful Partnerships

Gazred

With the news that Mr Michael Bell has been brought in on a perm deal by Tinman...

https://www.bcfc.co.uk/news/micky-bell-joins-city-full-time/

I was reminded that they probably formed one of the best partnerships I've seen in my time following City.

Tinnion over, through, down the side to Bell was a regular sight and great to watch.

Who would yours be and why?

As a partnership can involve more than two people, I suggest the best partnership City has had was the whole team, including Alan Dicks, that gained promotion to Division 1. The whole was greater than the sum of its parts. 

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, pongo88 said:

As a partnership can involve more than two people, I suggest the best partnership City has had was the whole team, including Alan Dicks, that gained promotion to Division 1. The whole was greater than the sum of its parts. 

I’m a great believer in partnerships (as you say can be more than 2 too) being at the heart of individual performances. I often think - if player x was crap today, how did his teammate player y or player x influence that.  Especially pertinent for full-backs in their relationship with their wide midfielder, the centre-back on their side and the midfielder on their inside…and finally centre forward as a passing option.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, pongo88 said:

3 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

I’m a great believer in partnerships (as you say can be more than 2 too) being at the heart of individual performances. I often think - if player x was crap today, how did his teammate player y or player x influence that.  Especially pertinent for full-backs in their relationship with their wide midfielder, the centre-back on their side and the midfielder on their inside…and finally centre forward as a passing option.

Liking the deep lateral thinking outside of duos chaps.

2 minutes ago, Rocking Red Cyril said:

I really did not rate Webster when he was with us 

Well that's controversial.

1 minute ago, GrahamC said:

Ritchie & Cheesley..

I'm obliged to press you for a why Graham, not that it's necessary!

1 minute ago, Gazred said:

Liking the deep lateral thinking outside of duos chaps.

Well that's controversial.

I'm obliged to press you for a why Graham, not that it's necessary!

The strike partnership that fired us to the top flight, one was the hardest working player of my 50 years of supporting City, the other a centre forward who would have played for England.

Good friends off the pitch, too.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, GrahamC said:

The strike partnership that fired us to the top flight, one was the hardest working player of my 50 years of supporting City, the other a centre forward who would have played for England.

Good friends off the pitch, too.

Well put. Before my time, but thankfully I've been well educated in our clubs history to appreciate them.

28 minutes ago, Gillies Downs Leeds said:

Taylor and Turner

Neville & Riley as well.

My formative football education that led me to the view that you don’t have to play a target man….and I stand by it today.  And that’s being a massive Mick Harford fan before those two came along.  Movement, hard work - can make up for lack of inches (ooh-err missus).

20 minutes ago, And Its Smith said:

They’ve written Micky but I think it’s Mickey 

Tony and Anthony Rougier.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

4 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

My formative football education that led me to the view that you don’t have to play a target man….and I stand by it today.

Absolutely agree but it's odd how many cling to the view that you have to have a big man up front as if they have missed how much the game has changed over recent decades.

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, chinapig said:

Absolutely agree but it's odd how many cling to the view that you have to have a big man up front as if they have missed how much the game has changed over recent decades.

It’s funny really, because you ask most Centre-Half’s who they like to mark, and they’ll say a big un….they don’t like pace, nor the niggly little ones who are a pest.

Someone like David Speedie was all three, decent in the air for a little one, sharp, and a right pest.

• Like 1