IGNORED

After safe standing….safe drinking?

italian dave

24 minutes ago, Mike Stone said:

I spent £85 on a England v Wales ticket at Twickenham,  only to spend most of the 80 minutes getting up and down because people want to go and fetch beer.

Now I love beer more than most but christ it's only 90 minutes, what's the point?

With all due respect mate - it’s been well known for decades that rugger fans sink amounts of beer that would consistently put football fans to shame ... they’ve also been allowed to quaff their beer of choice within the stadia in their seats for a long time - bit naive of you to complain about this in 2021? And FYI - rugby matches are 80 mins not 90 mins ... you seemed to refer to both?!

Edited by BS4 on Tour...
  • Hmmm 1

5 minutes ago, Mike Stone said:

I spent £85 on a England v Wales ticket at Twickenham,  only to spend most of the 80 minutes getting up and down because people want to go and fetch beer.

Now I love beer more than most but christ it's only 90 minutes, what's the point?

The Leyton Orient Chief Exec said in this article - "We believe that adults should be given the chance to drink safely in their seat….”  The problem is, as @Mike Stone said, people don’t sit in their seat and drink. They get up and walk to the bar, buy a drink and then come back, forcing everyone else in the row to get up and down twice to let them pass. Multiple this by the number of people who might decide to get a drink during the match and it’s a nightmare for those who actually want to watch the football 

• Like 6

2 minutes ago, pongo88 said:

The Leyton Orient Chief Exec said in this article - "We believe that adults should be given the chance to drink safely in their seat….”  The problem is, as @Mike Stone said, people don’t sit in their seat and drink. They get up and walk to the bar, buy a drink and then come back, forcing everyone else in the row to get up and down twice to let them pass. Multiple this by the number of people who might decide to get a drink during the match and it’s a nightmare for those who actually want to watch the football 

Perhaps they'll introduce a drinking section ?

• Like 2
  • Haha 4
  • Robin 1

This reminded me, read in Ahead of the Game a while back that the EFL support the idea of drinking in view of the pitch returning.

I think they're correct as well- football has changed a lot- the alcohol ban was necessary in the 1980s, probably the 1990s and maybe arguably into the early 2000's but it's fairly safe now. Clearly it's up to the Government but I think the time has come.

Consumed several beers at Roma v Inter in 2017, no issues- mind you don't recall any on sale in the 2nd half!! Maybe below the stand can't remember, but not on sale to people in their seats.

Edited by Mr Popodopolous

If you let fans drink in their seats they will throw their beer everywhere on purpose for attention when we score, which seems to be the done thing nowadays. Not a massive fan of being soaked every game we score in, even if that isn’t every game!

Plus the constant standing up to let people past who can’t go 45 mins without a beer would get annoying 

• Like 5

Just now, And Its Smith said:

If you let fans drink in their seats they will throw their beer everywhere on purpose for attention when we score, which seems to be the done thing nowadays. Not a massive fan of being soaked every game we score in, even if that isn’t every game!

Plus the constant standing up to let people past who can’t go 45 mins without a beer would get annoying 

Don't think we'll get that wet at Ashton Gate... Away fans will be soaked mind.

if they did,i would hope they introduced 'no alcohol' areas for those that want to watch the game without any of the above inconveniences. cant understand why anyone would spend £30 plus for 90 mins then waste a load of it for the sake of a beer. if you get that thirsty,take a bottle of water/coke etc in with you

• Like 2

1 hour ago, And Its Smith said:

And to let them past again when they need a piss.

• Like 2

On 22/10/2021 at 22:08, Mike Stone said:

This.

What possible good can come of changing the rules..? 

I don't think the rule should ever have been there, although appreciate that the minority (probably those who'd abuse any change in rules) spoil it for everyone else... 

However, surely people can cope with 2 x 45 minute periods without needing a pint and it will just end up ruining atmosphere even more, if people are holding pints. 

Leave it as it is and wait for half time/full time. 

17 hours ago, redsquirrel said:

if they did,i would hope they introduced 'no alcohol' areas for those that want to watch the game without any of the above inconveniences. cant understand why anyone would spend £30 plus for 90 mins then waste a load of it for the sake of a beer. if you get that thirsty,take a bottle of water/coke etc in with you

As long as you want to drink it all in one go as you're not allowed to take the lid in.

I think those who attended football in the 70's & 80's remember why the rules on sitting/standing/drinking/segregation at football were put in place.

Whilst the majority can stand and drink without causing trouble there was and is a minority who can't.

Bring back safe standing - yes. I always used to stand and would prefer to stand.

Drinking - no.

Football is in danger of going back to the dark days of racism and fighting IMO. As i said at the start if you remember the 70's & 80's attending football was actually quite scarey for most.

On 22/10/2021 at 22:25, Nomad said:

Perhaps they'll introduce a drinking section ?

That was pretty much what Orient's owner has said - determine where in the ground drinking should/could be allowed and also choosing the match. (His example being that a tense London derby wouldn't be the best match to trial it with)

18 hours ago, And Its Smith said:

Your first point is absolutely the biggest problem I can foresee with it.  You would hope that those that are idiotic enough to do it would likely be all in the same area anyway, but even so....

16 hours ago, Red Shadow said:

And to let them past again when they need a piss.

We have a prediction most matches what minute the kids and parents along from us go to the toilet.   Alcohol definitely isn't a contributing factor here!

I guess part of the (admittedly erroneous) theory may be that if you can drink at your seat you're not going to try and binge a few pints in 15 minutes just before the game and at half time etc, and so the drinking will be more paced, hopefully reducing the amount of alcohol related incidents in the ground. 

I'm all for trialling it, but feel it should be something that the fans get a vote on how it works if it's passed.  But in all honesty I don't think it would be passed, so that's kind of a moot point in any case.  There will be incidents during the trial that shows too many people couldn't be trusted to behave responsibly, I've no doubt.

Personally I don't drink before a game because I have a bladder the size of a peanut and would miss half the match even on 1 pint!

On 22/10/2021 at 21:02, italian dave said:

https://news.sky.com/story/football-clubs-ready-for-alcohol-trial-during-matches-while-police-brand-it-really-foolish-12441493

Given the recent upsurge in football violence, seems unlikely that this will run…….???

It doesn’t make any sense to stop people drinking in view of the pitch, it’s a complete false economy, all you are doing is encouraging fans to drink more before the game (because they can’t during the game) and then during half time, if you manage to get a drink, you have to down it in order for you to go back and watch.  I don’t really think fans who want to drink will drink anymore because you can keep your drink with you watching the game.  The biggest risk is probably that plastic pint glasses will be lobbed in the air and fans will get soaked with beer!

• Like 1