IGNORED

Downing leaving?

Major Isewater

4 minutes ago, Wiltshire robin said:

Both getting six figure pay offs according to the post . I thought when Simpson left it was only a matter of time for Downing .

I doubted that figure initially, but then I saw this in a report.

"Some coaches are on over £150,000 a year, whilst a sports scientist at a southern Championship club is on £100,000 - and one kitman at a southern Championship club is on a reputed £56,000 annual wage."

Is this why Scotty is always smiling? :)

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

2 minutes ago, Port Said Red said:

"Some coaches are on over £150,000 a year, whilst a sports scientist at a southern Championship club is on £100,000 - and one kitman at a southern Championship club is on a reputed £56,000 annual wage."

That is surely Murray. We advertised the under 23s job as a £35,000 per year job. Why is a kit man on more than that?!  Cos he’s funny? 

• Confused 1

1 hour ago, Wiltshire robin said:

Both getting six figure pay offs according to the post . I thought when Simpson left it was only a matter of time for Downing .

Makes you wonder what their annual salaries are if that’s true.

It was only a matter of time before the axe fell on them, but I have to question the club signing off those deals on big wages during the middle of a pandemic. 

• Like 4

53 minutes ago, tin said:

Makes you wonder what their annual salaries are if that’s true.

It was only a matter of time before the axe fell on them, but I have to question the club signing off those deals on big wages during the middle of a pandemic. 

I would imagine that they would get paid off the equivalent of 12 months salary. That seems to be about standard. And given that some players in the championship earn £20k+ PER WEEK, then £150k per annum might seem excessive compared to average earnings but in football terms it’s not so significant. You can argue that’s wrong, but that’s the economics of football as things stand.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Port Said Red said:

⬇️⬇️⬇️

2 hours ago, And Its Smith said:

That is surely Murray. We advertised the under 23s job as a £35,000 per year job. Why is a kit man on more than that?!  Cos he’s funny? 

Think it was me that posted that Luke Williams’s job was being advertised at that salary.

As for Simmo and Keith I doubt they’re on over £100k p.a. But nothing would surprise me when Ashton is agreeing contracts, but how many signings were what we fans would say were a “snip”.  I suspect somewhere between £50k and £100k towards the £50k end imho.  If over £100k, then I would imagine it’s their best ever gig!!  FA role wasn’t really full-time, so wouldn’t have been high salary, although per hour it might’ve been more (if that makes sense).

Im not sure it is Scotty, but if it was, I suspect it’s because his role is more than kitman in reality.  He’s an ambassador of the club too, whether official or unofficial and does lots of other stuff too, beyond washing and laying out the kit.

Edited by Davefevs
  • Like 8
  • Flames 1

2 hours ago, Port Said Red said:

Probably Fulham or Bournemouth 

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

⬇️⬇️⬇️

Think it was me that posted that Luke Williams’s job was being advertised at that salary.

As for Simmo and Keith I doubt they’re on over £100k p.a. But nothing would surprise me when Ashton is agreeing contracts, but how many signings were what we fans would say were a “snip”.  I suspect somewhere between £50k and £100k towards the £50k end imho.  If over £100k, then I would imagine it’s their best ever gig!!  FA role wasn’t really full-time, so wouldn’t have been high salary, although per hour it might’ve been more (if that makes sense).

Im not sure it is Scotty, but if it was, I suspect it’s because his role is more than kitman in reality.  He’s an ambassador of the club too, whether official or unofficial and does lots of other stuff too, beyond washing and laying out the kit.

Was doing the food bank stuff with Scott when that article came out, his words were “I’d be ******* buzzing to be on half of that” ? he was fairly sure it was a made up article as there was nothing to report on sport wise at that point 

• Like 5
  • Thanks 2

2 minutes ago, petehinton said:

Was doing the food bank stuff with Scott when that article came out, his words were “I’d be ******* buzzing to be on half of that” ? he was fairly sure it was a made up article as there was nothing to report on sport wise at that point 

Surely he’s on more than £28k.  You’ve got me feeling all sorry for him now ???

Got to say he is such a top bloke, I know we all know it, but he is.  I think we are lucky to have him.

• Like 7

20 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

⬇️⬇️⬇️

I remember seeing the job advert when it was advertised and wondering why the salary was so low. My understanding was a lot of Murray’s role was being good in the changing room. It didn’t do much good last season and I assume he’s only good in the away dressing room! 

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

Just now, And Its Smith said:

I remember seeing the job advert when it was advertised and wondering why the salary was so low. My understanding was a lot of Murray’s role was being good in the changing room. It didn’t do much good last season and I assume he’s only good in the away dressing room! 

I’ve been in the dressing room pre-match when Joe was mascot (Swindon (h) - what a night), and he is a real energy.  Having said that the players are hugely pampered - “Scotty, can you cut me a pair of ankle socks”, “I can’t find my shin pad, can you find it Scotty”, etc, and he does whatever they ask.

2 minutes ago, And Its Smith said:

He’s being disingenuous there I think 

Me too.

14 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

Surely he’s on more than £28k.  You’ve got me feeling all sorry for him now ???

Got to say he is such a top bloke, I know we all know it, but he is.  I think we are lucky to have him.

You’d think so, either way the hours you have to put in as a kit man would probably make you net out at minimum wage anyway!

• Like 3

8 minutes ago, SBB said:

Kit man is a graft, especially these days without having any YTS lads helping. Thick skin, a sense of humour and a lot of unseen work. 

Aren’t there one or two ladies that help him with the day to day stuff too?  Does that make him a line-manager too? ?

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, tin said:

I have to question the club signing off those deals on big wages during the middle of a pandemic. 

Money's easy to spend when it's not yours.

If Ashton was paying those wages himself, something tells me he wouldn’t have been quite so generous.

Edited by Merrick's Marvels
  • Like 3

1 hour ago, Davefevs said:

⬇️⬇️⬇️

If they signed 3 year contracts when appointed (as was rumoured) then just North of £60k a year would mean this is the sort of figure that they’re entitled to with 18 months of that left if we now sack them.

Never understood why we appointed both & certainly in Downing’s case, as you’ve said previously, unlike Simpson there didn’t appear any obvious connection to Holden, suggesting that he was an Ashton appointment.

1 minute ago, GrahamC said:

If they signed 3 year contracts when appointed (as was rumoured) then just North of £60k a year would mean this is the sort of figure that they’re entitled to with 18 months of that left if we now sack them.

Never understood why we appointed both & certainly in Downing’s case, as you’ve said previously, unlike Simpson there didn’t appear any obvious connection to Holden, suggesting that he was an Ashton appointment.

I’ve no idea whether they signed “player-type” contracts for a fixed length or whether they are salaried like a normal employee.  Would be strange to bring Holden in on a 12 month (rolling) contract, but then appoint his assistants on three year deals imho.

In terms of manager contracts, there is no standard contract (source: LMA).

Have to say that i am very pleased that Downing and Simpson are on their way................Galton & Simpson would have been an improvement?   You only have to look at he standard of organisation, defending at set pieces, level of passing, basic skill levels etc, to see that an upgrade on coaching is needed?  I appreciate that the players are also culpable for the level of performances, but quality coaching staff are essential due to Nige not being a hands on manager.  So it is paramount that we have top level coaches dealing with the squad on a day to day basis.  And to me it is obvious that the coaching is not of a good enough standard.

I wish both of them well, I am certain they will be well compensated for their average efforts, but we need some top coaches with new ideas and input to improve and motivate this squad IMHO.  The High Performance Centre's standard of High Performance seems to me,  NOT High enough. 

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, maxjak said:

Have to say that i am very pleased that Downing and Simpson are on their way................Galton & Simpson would have been an improvement?   You only have to look at he standard of organisation, defending at set pieces, level of passing, basic skill levels etc, to see that an upgrade on coaching is needed?  I appreciate that the players are also culpable for the level of performances, but quality coaching staff are essential due to Nige not being a hands on manager.  So it is paramount that we have top level coaches dealing with the squad on a day to day basis.  And to me it is obvious that the coaching is not of a good enough standard.

I wish both of them well, I am certain they will be well compensated for their average efforts, but we need some top coaches with new ideas and input to improve and motivate this squad IMHO.  The High Performance Centre's standard of High Performance seems to me,  NOT High enough. 

Set piece defending is Pat Mountain’s area fyi.  Agree with Pearson needing different style of coach though.

15 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

I’ve no idea whether they signed “player-type” contracts for a fixed length or whether they are salaried like a normal employee.  Would be strange to bring Holden in on a 12 month (rolling) contract, but then appoint his assistants on three year deals imho.

In terms of manager contracts, there is no standard contract (source: LMA).

Pretty sure @Kid in the Riot suggested that this was the case at the time & also pointed out that inconsistency with Holden, which suggested we weren’t convinced from the outset.

In a previous job I got sight of quite a lot of sport scientist/first team coach salaries in the football league, and I can assure you most aren't paid as much as the mooted figures in that Post article.

I've also got a friend who has been part of championship coaching setup's for years (working part time, whilst also holding down another full time job), and he literally couldn't afford to take on the job full time as the salary was so low.

The salaries of the majority of non-playing staff is scandalous compared to how much the players get paid

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1