IGNORED

West Bromwich Albion away match day thread

4 minutes ago, Johnny Musicworks said:

Getting outclassed by West Brom and Bournemouth will not define our season but how well we recover from this week may well do.

Barnsley will be very interesting.

And we have a decent chance of putting in the performance of the season seeing as I won't be there to see it. :laughcont:

• Like 1
3 minutes ago, Clevedon Red said:

We need 2 performances really ?

Yep hopefully one follows the other.  But feel a home win is more important and would very much settle many peoples nerves. I don’t care where we get the points but understand why many do. 

Edited by lenred
2 minutes ago, Leveller said:

There’s admittedly no point in sacking Pearson - he may as well be given time to see what he can do. However, it’s difficult to see why he’s still getting the hero treatment when he has made almost no progress in improving performances after the best part of a year.

Oddly, Dean Holden still gets virtually zero understanding, despite having been dealt almost the same hand and doing no worse.

Forget last season. I don’t think anyone would of turned that around . A perfect storm of terrible management off the pitch by Ashton which was allowed to happen by Lansdown. Three years of selling our best players & replacing with dross yet increasing the wage bill is laughable. Then having 12-13 players OOC with no sell on value is abysmal . Topped off by publicly saying fam had a very good contract put under his nose & the rest of them hadn’t . How do you think that went down in the dressing room. Plus the injuries. 
He has to be judged on this season only imo & has a huge job ahead of him.  He has at least 5 players who are league one level if not more & the money is not there at the moment. We have to stay up . That would be success this season . Followed by another clear out in the summer. 

• Like 15

Some OK moments in the second half, but the third goal (Simpson ? ) killed the game.

Not happy, but I was far more disappointed by Tuesday's footballing suicide: today's KO is mire acceptable (and was predictable, given the difference in strenght and injuries). 

Edited by Dan Robin
  • Thanks 1
7 minutes ago, steviestevieneville said:

Forget last season. I don’t think anyone would of turned that around . A perfect storm of terrible management off the pitch by Ashton which was allowed to happen by Lansdown. Three years of selling our best players & replacing with dross yet increasing the wage bill is laughable. Then having 12-13 players OOC with no sell on value is abysmal . Topped off by publicly saying fam had a very good contract put under his nose & the rest of them hadn’t . How do you think that went down in the dressing room. Plus the injuries. 
He has to be judged on this season only imo & has a huge job ahead of him.  He has at least 5 players who are league one level if not more & the money is not there at the moment. We have to stay up . That would be success this season . Followed by another clear out in the summer. 

Relegation would be a financial disaster for the club - we simply have to stay up 

1 hour ago, BasSavage88 said:

Litterally anyone ATM. Anyone defending Pearson is a ******* idiot 

Litterally anyone ATM. Anyone defending Pearson is a ******* idiot 

You misguided a unrealistic are kneejerk fool................please arrange as you see fit?  It will give a 15 minute break from spouting?

Edited by maxjak
18 minutes ago, Merrick's Marvels said:

In case it's escaped your attention, the trajectory of our club over the last year has been one massive downward spiral. A downward spiral like no other club in the entire Football League. No-one needs to know the inner workings of Millwall, Luton and Swansea to see that they are not on a similar downward spiral, nothing like it in fact. If you can't work that out, you need help. 

t.Derby? Derby are better than us, a fact that strengthens my argument not weakens i

Derby have earned 17 points this season and only sit bottom thanks to a points deduction that has nothing to do with how their team is actually performing. If you can't work that out  your beyond help.

Seriously, losing badly at West Brom isn't the day to be throwing your toys out of the pram. 

Derby are better than as a club and in a better position as a club ok I won't bother to reply anymore. A club in administration with points deducted who didn't pay their players and had the manager paying for hotels on away trips. Yea no intelligent discussion to be had here.

• Like 1
14 minutes ago, lenred said:

And who are these mythical figures passing you these ‘messages’?  I think you’re lying.  Happy for you to prove otherwise.  

Can’t say mate. But it’s a good source. Perhaps the coaches leaving has something to do with it as well! All I know for sure is twice this season NP has has chosen his team and has substituted youngsters early including today. Perhaps the manager should give himself a bloody good shake!

27 minutes ago, LondonBristolian said:

Indeed.

One strength LJ had was that - apart from that absurd losing streak - he generally had the ability to scrape out a win at the exact moment the fans’ patience was exhausted. That was a bad thing in some ways as it meant he stayed longer than was good for him or us but Pearson needs to find a way to do the same.

There is only so long reputation and improved early season performances can stave off the angry mob…

The problem we had with LJ was surely that the fan's patience had no bearing on whether he stayed or went! A more ruthless owner wanting promotion instead of vindication would have ditched LJ after that terrible run following the Wolves defeat. The writing was on the wall. How different things could have been.

I suspect the same will be true of Pearson. The fans reaction will have little bearing on Lansdown. Then again Pearson isn't his boy wonder...

Edited by Red Exile

Let’s be honest, very few expected us to get anything from today’s game.

The important game was always going to be next Saturday….my biggest fear is that Barnsley will sack their manager after tomorrow and then they will head to Ashton Gate next Saturday with a new manager in charge and the famous “new manager bounce” ?‍♂️

• Like 1
1 minute ago, Br1stolCityBoy said:

Can’t say mate. But it’s a good source. Perhaps the coaches leaving has something to do with it as well! All I know for sure is twice this season NP has has chosen his team and has substituted youngsters early including today. Perhaps the manager should give himself a bloody good shake!

Think the writing has been on the well for the coaches since NP took over.  Just needed to get his own men in which he has done with Curtis. Early substitutions, whilst I don’t like them I must admit, may have context.  I await to see what he says when asked but maybe an injury, niggle, or just tactical. Agree Simpson though is not a great replacement.  Regardless though the fact of the matter is we were left up shit creak by that ***t Ashton and we now have to rebuild which includes staying up this year, nothing more.  

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
11 minutes ago, collier said:

Derby are better than as a club and in a better position as a club ok I won't bother to reply anymore. A club in administration with points deducted who didn't pay their players and had the manager paying for hotels on away trips. Yea no intelligent discussion to be had here.

You are right about the overall picture of course but it has to be said that Rooney is doing a remarkable job in more difficult circumstances than Nigel faces. Would that we were as hard to score against as Rooney has made Derby for instance.

• Like 2
17 minutes ago, collier said:

We're talking about what their team, as opposed to our team, has achieved on the field of play!! 

A point perfectly obvious, I would have thought  from my previous post.

Enjoy the rest of your angry evening. 

B******s, b******s and thrice b******s.

Did anyone, hand on heart, anticipate anything other than a comprehensive defeat this afternoon? I didn’t.

Cast your mind back two seasons when we were on the wrong end of a similar hiding at the Hawthorns as LJ’s stock began to plummet big style - progress since then has been negligible.

We’ve too many distinctly ordinary players, too many promising but raw youngsters who lack the experience to rumble with the big boys at this level, and a coach who increasingly doesn’t seem to know how to set us up.

The number of stupid errors, lapses in concentration and, of course, amateurish inability to see out a game is getting extremely tedious. And that Nathan Baker must be made of Waterford Crystal.

I’m not out of patience with NP, largely because burning through managers eventually saw us go down last time, but his tenure has been deeply underwhelming on the whole. Perhaps I’m still smarting from that horrendous collapse in midweek, but it all feels pretty ominous I’m afraid. :(

• Like 1
58 minutes ago, City1970 said:

This is a forum to discuss City, not just this match. Weimann, Martin and Wells have missed countless sitters this season.

I will ignore the childish rant.

All forwards miss sitters sometimes, Martin and Weimann had four apiece before today so on track for 15 at the end of the season. Main problem is the scarcity of goals from midfield and defence.

• Like 1