IGNORED

New direction

Red Army 75

Nobody said that this season was going to be easy. It was a 3 year journey and so I think it is wrong to chuck toys out of pram after losing a few matches and 3 months. Sure home form needs to improve and I hope that monkey is tossed off their back next week. There are enough teams doing worse to enable us to sleep easy (for now). The grass is rarely greener on the other side.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Wiltshire robin said:

.........the amount of money he’s pissed away on the wrong things is just ridiculous.

........and the amount of money he's pissed away on a crappy stadium, and a shitty training ground???

Should have got in someone like they did at Horfield!

:facepalm:

Edited by Redtucks

Can’t knock Lansdown’s commitment. He’s invested vast sums in this club both in terms of infrastructure (which will be his legacy) and in various playing squads.

He has made some shocking decisions over the years and hasn’t seemed to learn from them which is surprising for such a successful business man. I don’t believe Pearson is right but we’ve ended up with him because of the Holden shit show.

We did A LOT of good work progressing under LJ but failed to make the right appointments to go to the next level. All of that has been undone in only the last 18 months. Dreadful miss-management.

Depressing time to be a city fan. We’re heading straight towards Lg1 currently.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Robbored said:

We get stuffed at the Hawthorns where no sensible City fan expected to get anything and we get an all too familiar knee jerk reaction…………:facepalm:

Otib really does make me smile especially when City lose………..:laugh:

Completely agree about knee jerk reactions?

However is there any room for a conversation about the last 20 years?

I appreciate he’s bought some nice things ?

7 minutes ago, Redtucks said:

........and the amount of money he's pissed away on a crappy stadium, and a shitty training ground???

Yeah a new stadium and training ground which will be used in league one if we keep going the way we are . He’s been in charge for 20 odd years now and in that time many clubs with nowhere near as much investment have passed us without redeveloping a stand and building a training ground .

49 minutes ago, EmissionImpossible said:

I swear before the season people were saying mid table was most likely. Now we have slipped beneath that position, people are losing their minds!

It is the way the players are losing that is the worry.

Look at Brighton this evening losing at ht to Man City 3-0 at home.  Looked totally outclassed.  Raised their game second half and played some lovely football with passion.  No more goals from City and a well taken penalty for Brighton.

OK they will lose but the fight the passion the quality - all three of these missing from The City today.

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, Wiltshire robin said:

Yeah a new stadium and training ground which will be used in league one if we keep going the way we are . He’s been in charge for 20 odd years now and in that time many clubs with nowhere near as much investment have passed us without redeveloping a stand and building a training ground .

Many others have passed us in the other direction and some of those with points deductions for poor financial management.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

We could have a combination of Bill Gates, Elon Musk and Jeff Bezo buying the club. We would still have the same issue in FFP. The only way round it to make more money would be to build a 60k capacity ground and fill it weekly. 
We go on about a big catchment etc but how many times barring the Manchester clubs have we come close to filling the ground we’ve got. 
Mistakes have been made in MA etc, but it’s how we deal with it going forward. 

1 minute ago, Wiltshire robin said:

I take it you are talking about derby and Wednesday who will both be back in the champ and pushing for play off before we ever will be .

There are quite a few who were in the Prem but who have dropped well below us, even with parachute payments.

12 minutes ago, RedorDead BCFC said:

We could have a combination of Bill Gates, Elon Musk and Jeff Bezo buying the club. We would still have the same issue in FFP. The only way round it to make more money would be to build a 60k capacity ground and fill it weekly. 
We go on about a big catchment etc but how many times barring the Manchester clubs have we come close to filling the ground we’ve got. 

Good points .

we could fill the ground more if ticket prices got lowered . Living outside of Bristol I have many friends who are plastic fans of teams like Liverpool who have a soft spot for city but will never come watch them when they have to pay between £30 and £40 to watch city play Peterborough at home .

45 minutes ago, Redtucks said:

I’m genuinely grateful for the facilities the club use.

Just a shame somebody else didn’t help with the football decisions over the last 20 years.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Red Exile said:

I agree with your sentiments - and SL is going nowhere quickly in my opinion. But his legacy :gaah:

Surely Bristol City must be amongst the most consistently frustrating clubs to follow. His 20 years have been one false start after another...endless promises of jam tomorrow...never abysmal, never truly successful, just hope killing you...

I wish he'd get his act together!

I agree the football legacy thus far is nothing but perpetual hope and disappointment. But clearly the stadium and the training ground is the legacy I mean here. And that will live on long after Lansdown has gone.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Davefevs said:

I didn’t expect to get stuffed…I expected a fully committed performance, a performance that would at least keep us in the game.  They are a goods side, but we made it easy for them.

Exactly. To show progress we've got to make games like this (and last week) tighter. We get stuffed up there as sure as night follows day. When are we going to become a good Championship side Steve? What's the target? When can we give West Brom a game and not be embarrassed?

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, RedorDead BCFC said:

Shame that we ballsed up the last 3 years.

Agree that we are hamstrung by it now.

Heavy sigh.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, ChippenhamRed said:

I agree the football legacy thus far is nothing but perpetual hope and disappointment. But clearly the stadium and the training ground is the legacy I mean here. And that will live on long after Lansdown has gone.

Yep...got to be honest though, I don't give a darn about either the training ground or the stadium. The seats we sit in in the Dolman are precisely the same seats we say in under GJ...alot of water has passed under the bridge. We've got a nicer view I guess. The football side of the club has - relative to others clubs - gone backwards. That's what I trek upon and down the motorway for.

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, Red Exile said:

Yep...got to be honest though, I don't give a darn about either the training ground or the stadium. The seats we sit in in the Dolman are precisely the same seats we say in under GJ...alot of water has passed under the bridge. We've got a nicer view I guess. The football side of the club has - relative to others clubs - gone backwards. That's what I trek upon and down the motorway for.

Otoh, we were prior to SL a League One ie third tier side more often than not. I reckon if you take 20 years vs 20 years.

Not saying that this is ideal, but about 4 years ago I made a thread called "Is this as good as it gets". It was very happy to say ill-timed as we went on the brilliant 4 month run culminating in Reading at home and the first hour v Wolves in December 2017.

In retrospect though, it'll take a good 2 years before we can have reasonable expectations of investment IMO if the current system that combines FFP, Parachute payments and the rolling 3 year loss limit remains in play. New ownership wouldn't change this fact.

Of course we can improve on the pitch but I dunno how far and how quickly beyond short term improvement in result and performance how far and much we can improve for a while.

There's no quick fix, magic formula, silver bullet to be had here.

Edited by Mr Popodopolous
  • Like 2

3 hours ago, Red Army 75 said:

Is it time for SL to sell up . Obviously Covid and the millions he has spent are taking its toll . Plus his openness for investment. The club is stagnant at this present time. Who would like new ownership. 

Not a dig at SL by any means but I feel the club needs a new direction 

Be careful what you wish for

• Like 2

Just now, Mr Popodopolous said:

@Redrascal2

What you say about SL turning off the tap could be true but then again rugby has its salary cap regulations.

Possibly Bristol are close to limits there so cannot do much without letting players go first, but tbh not really looked at it much.

The Bears lost 2 current England internationals, who must have been on a sizeable salary. No replacements were in brought in. 

3 minutes ago, Redrascal2 said:

The Bears lost 2 current England internationals, who must have been on a sizeable salary. No replacements were in brought in. 

Salary cap fell to £5m according to one report, dunno if that was followed through on but it was £7m pre Covid. Fall of £2m if it did.

Bristol were opposed but eventually voted in favour.

It's madness to be calling  for Lansdown to go - as others have said - who would buy anyway?  

But I would rather he'd  have prioritised getting decent football brains in before building the fancy stadium and training facilities and, most of all, before he had the idea of Bristol Sport.

Good football should have been the priority- not rugby or basketball.   That stuff is just vanity project.

3 hours ago, BigAl&Toby said:

Under his involvement we’ve gone backwards. Money spent and money wasted.

Two very different points here.

Money spent and wasted? Definitely. Same as every club. Have we done more so than others? Arguably yeah.

Under his involvement gone backwards? Now that's a load of bollocks.

He took over as Chairman in what, 2001?

From a quick look, in the 20 years before we spent time in these divisions:

L2: 2

L1: 12

Champ: 6

Since he took over:

L2: 0

L1: 9

Champ: 12

Including 8 of the last 10 years in the Championship . In fact from looking at it we have only ONCE in the last 20 years since he took over finished lower than the position he took us over in. We're now an established mid table Championship side, that wasn't the case for a long time before Lansdown.

There's a lot to criticise Lansdown for, but "we've gone backwards" is nonsense - and this isn't even taking into account our brand new ground, training facilities, etc.

We just haven't gone forwards as quickly as we'd like.

When's your next tedious "The emperor is naked" post by the way?

Edited by IAmNick
  • Like 2

53 minutes ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

Otoh, we were prior to SL a League One ie third tier side more often than not. I reckon if you take 20 years vs 20 years.

Not saying that this is ideal, but about 4 years ago I made a thread called "Is this as good as it gets". It was very happy to say ill-timed as we went on the brilliant 4 month run culminating in Reading at home and the first hour v Wolves in December 2017.

In retrospect though, it'll take a good 2 years before we can have reasonable expectations of investment IMO if the current system that combines FFP, Parachute payments and the rolling 3 year loss limit remains in play. New ownership wouldn't change this fact.

Of course we can improve on the pitch but I dunno how far and how quickly beyond short term improvement in result and performance how far and much we can improve for a while.

There's no quick fix, magic formula, silver bullet to be had here.

I respect - indeed enjoy! - your posts...

My question here is how long is a 'quick fix'? Steve Lansdown has promised the earth - and had it in his grasp. He's let it slip.

When I watched the side trudge off the pitch at the end of our last home game in the top flight I'd yet to leave school.

I'm on the verge of retirement. 

2 hours ago, Red Army 75 said:

SL is opening asking for investment the man is getting no younger. His son won’t take over . It’s a reality the club will be sold 

Exactly. This thread is forgetting that we are openly seeking investment. So a lot will change in the coming years.

26 minutes ago, mozo said:

Exactly. This thread is forgetting that we are openly seeking investment. So a lot will change in the coming years.

What would change out of interest with the new investment?

Barring big player sales, the headroom is the headroom. Increased sponsorships of course but these need to be fair value etc.

By my calculations assuming that the FFP regs, the distribution of TV cash stay as they are now, then barring further significant and I mean significant revenue growth, player sales or further wage slashing then we will next be able to spend relatively freely at this level in 2023/24. Summer 2023 it is!

14 hours ago, IAmNick said:

Two very different points here.

Money spent and wasted? Definitely. Same as every club. Have we done more so than others? Arguably yeah.

Under his involvement gone backwards? Now that's a load of bollocks.

He took over as Chairman in what, 2001?

From a quick look, in the 20 years before we spent time in these divisions:

L2: 2

L1: 12

Champ: 6

Since he took over:

L2: 0

L1: 9

Champ: 12

Including 8 of the last 10 years in the Championship . In fact from looking at it we have only ONCE in the last 20 years since he took over finished lower than the position he took us over in. We're now an established mid table Championship side, that wasn't the case for a long time before Lansdown.

There's a lot to criticise Lansdown for, but "we've gone backwards" is nonsense - and this isn't even taking into account our brand new ground, training facilities, etc.

We just haven't gone forwards as quickly as we'd like.

When's your next tedious "The emperor is naked" post by the way?

**** me. If I wanted to be impressed by a brand new ground, training facilities and any other etcs - like what? - I’d have gone elsewhere.

Seems like you are easily pleased. Style over substance? Carry on.

We’ve gone backwards in the sense of not realising potential and making piss poor decisions and allowed those to define us.

Watched MOTD this morning. Southampton. Leeds. Wolves. Barnsley. BHA. Once our peers. Now?

And losses on the bounce to Bournemouth, Forest and WBA. With no passion or clue. Again once our peers….

And you want to quote mid Championship league positions over the past 20 years as being progress?

And I’m delighted you recall my belief that the emperor is indeed naked. Stark bollock.

Here’s another. All that glistens isn’t gold. Unless of course you’re the UBO of a multi-layered company that has set up a model that’s resulted in a massive investment in freeholds that will ensure his gold will always glisten.

Meantime we can look forward to Haze at nearly £6 a pint and tepid pies for £4…..

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

What would change out of interest with the new investment?

Barring big player sales, the headroom is the headroom. Increased sponsorships of course but these need to be fair value etc.

By my calculations assuming that the FFP regs, the distribution of TV cash stay as they are now, then barring further significant and I mean significant revenue growth, player sales or further wage slashing then we will next be able to spend relatively freely at this level in 2023/24. Summer 2023 it is!

Lansdown says it would make a significant difference and yeah maybe you're right that 2023 or 2024 are in his mind.

• Thanks 1