IGNORED

Post Match Interview

Ivorguy

14 minutes ago, italian dave said:

I agree with you.

I struggle to see what our plan is. I get the impression that NP has a style that he’s determined to stick too, although I’m not really sure what it is, and I’m not sure the players know either. Or at least, if they do, it’s not one that they are comfortable with. 

You can’t go on forever blaming the legacy NP has inherited. There are some good players in our squad. All managers inherit the previous managers players and have to live with it for several years (in most cases throughout their tenure).

They have to make the best use of the players they’ve got. Set up to their strengths. We don’t seem to be doing that. We’re trying to play to a pattern and a style that doesn’t suit most of our players.

Our lumping it up to Martin is, as you say, depressingly routine and depressingly ineffective. There was a spell against Forest when we had Weimann and Wells up front, Scott behind. We actually played it on the deck, we moved and created spaces, we gave Forest something to think about. I’d like to see us set up like that. And arguably that would have been more effective against the giants in the WBA defence.

I’ve  not been a great Wells fan, but I thought he had a good second half today, found spaces, made good runs, gave defenders a problem on the ground. But he has precious little support, and no-one else playing off that space.

As someone who was there, I was surprised by the Tanner sub. I didn’t think he was any worse than others, and bringing on someone who’s hardly had a game all season seemed odd. 

In terms of style I think long-term he wants us to play a 4-2-3-1, which isn’t the best fit for the current squad. He persevered with it at the start of the season before switching to a back 3 (which the squad is set up for). Think that’s just a short-term fix to try and get some results on the board but who knows.

You can’t really discuss this season without mentioning the legacy he inherited as it provides so much context for the state of affairs on the pitch. Yes managers have to make the best of it, yes we should be doing better at home, but ultimately too many of the squad just aren’t good enough. Can’t see many current players still being at the club at the end of next season.

In terms of style of play I’m not sure if there’s one style we would suit as we have such a mix of players. Some suit pressing, some suit counterattacking, some suit a long ball. Again, this stems from the legacy NP inherited.

That being said, the style of play and results of recent games have been terrible after some good performances early in the season. Feels like we’ve been here before doesn’t it? Some strange decision making from the dugout, the only explanation for Tanner’s substitution I can think of was to take him out of firing line as he’s been having a good season so far.

I think he’s fine unless we’re touching the relegation zone, regardless of who’s in charge this is not an overnight fix and I can’t see anyone realistically available better to lead it other than Pearson.

8 minutes ago, Simon bristol said:

Maybe he thinks you are on the board of the club or in some advisory capacity? 

chris wilder is the obvious name that we should have gone for.

If we had any chance of getting him in I’d agree, but that’s not happening.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, And Its Smith said:

They are all better than they showed today.

Disagree with this. If I'm being honest.

Kalas, for me, while he can be a good defender does not communicate enough - period. Especially with more inexperience players either side of him in Atkinson and Tanner.

Jay and Kasey have provided a return nowhere near the £6m we forked out for the pair.

Bents has wonder saves and howlers in equal measure. Theres a reason Brentford upgraded to Raya. Arguably his distribution has been woeful lately. For me he needs dropping - but then he's also captain.

Martin and Weimann simply aren't good enough physically in the former's case and technically in the latters.

I could go on.

I realise there is a degree of, if they could do all of X y and Z they'd be PL,  true, it'd be good if they could prove to just be solid at this level. Which none of proven whatsoever, there been zero consistency.

Of this squad, the only ones I'd look at keeping are O'Leary (Never had a string of games since Villa), Atkinson, Pring, James (who I think must need a rest), Tanner, Massengo, and Scott.

While as squad options I'd keep the academy prospects such as Semenyo, Vyner, Towler, Bell, Conway, Janneh, and Benarous. With a couple to be loaned out as need for gametime. Purely on a cost basis.

Everybody else could be binned, sold, or released, and I don't think I'd bat an eyelid.

O'Dowda, Bakinson, Palmer, King, Simpson, DaSilva, Weimann, Wells, Weimann, Martin, Moore, etc etc. Wouldn't care, if anything I'd be glad if the wages saved.

If we could get money from any of Kalas and Bents, Id snap their hand off. Think we may see some really cutthroat transfers over the next 18 months.

I've said it before, but for me, we - along with Millwall and Hull, must have one of the most technically inferior squads at this level.

2 minutes ago, Fuber said:

Disagree with this. If I'm being honest.

Kalas, for me, while he can be a good defender does not communicate enough - period. Especially with more inexperience players either side of him in Atkinson and Tanner.

Jay and Kasey have provided a return nowhere near the £6m we forked out for the pair.

Bents has wonder saves and howlers in equal measure. Theres a reason Brentford upgraded to Raya. Arguably his distribution has been woeful lately. For me he needs dropping - but then he's also captain.

Martin and Weimann simply aren't good enough physically in the former's case and technically in the latters.

I could go on.

I realise there is a degree of, if they could do all of X y and Z they'd be PL,  true, it'd be good if they could prove to just be solid at this level. Which none of proven whatsoever, there been zero consistency.

Of this squad, the only ones I'd look at keeping are O'Leary (Never had a string of games since Villa), Atkinson, Pring, James (who I think must need a rest), Tanner, Massengo, and Scott.

While as squad options I'd keep the academy prospects such as Semenyo, Vyner, Towler, Bell, Conway, Janneh, and Benarous. With a couple to be loaned out as need for gametime. Purely on a cost basis.

Everybody else could be binned, sold, or released, and I don't think I'd bat an eyelid.

O'Dowda, Bakinson, Palmer, King, Simpson, DaSilva, Weimann, Wells, Weimann, Martin, Moore, etc etc. Wouldn't care, if anything I'd be glad if the wages saved.

If we could get money from any of Kalas and Bents, Id snap their hand off. Think we may see some really cutthroat transfers over the next 18 months.

I've said it before, but for me, we - along with Millwall and Hull, must have one of the most technically inferior squads at this level.

Did you watch the game? Every player put in their worst performance of the season, hence I said they are all better players than they showed today. That’s all I’ve said. I’m puzzled how you can disagree with that really. They were all incredibly poor today and are all better than they produced. 

I think your reply shows we are talking at cross purposes 

1 hour ago, JoeAman08 said:

Yes and another issue is why he was so against a loan. As you say, a forward was needed. Loan is a decent option to have for a short term target. Like staying up for example. 

As I am sure you understand Joe, loans actually cost money - there is firstly the loan fee, which for a young EPL player could be around £1m for the season. Then you have to pick up a % , or maybe all, of their wages.

Some , if not all , of these guys are on serious money, Tammy for example, when he was here, was on £25k a week at Chelsea - I have no idea how much of that we paid but I guess a fair amount.

Oh, one more thing, we are broke thanks to Swiss Tony and LJ, so none of that is possible nowadays.

Edited by ScottishRed
  • Like 4

2 minutes ago, And Its Smith said:

Did you watch the game? Every player put in their worst performance of the season, hence I said they are all better players than they showed today. That’s all I’ve said. I’m puzzled how you can disagree with that really. They were all incredibly poor today and are all better than they produced. 

I think your reply shows we are talking at cross purposes 

Apologies, my view was in the context of the last few games as well as today.

I was more referencing that I believe some on this board massively overestimate how good a few of our players are. Quoting your post in particular was likely just short sighted of me while I unknowingly went on a tangent.

2 minutes ago, Fuber said:

Apologies, my view was in the context of the last few games as well as today.

I was more referencing that I believe some on this board massively overestimate how good a few of our players are. Quoting your post in particular was likely just short sighted of me while I unknowingly went on a tangent.

I think individually the players are mostly all mid table ish players. What they don’t have is any confidence and seemingly a coherent plan to work too.  Forests players have gone from not good enough to play off contenders all because of a new manager. Just got to hope Pearson can get us there. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, ScottishRed said:

As I am sure you understand Joe, loans actually cost money - there is firstly the loan fee, which for a young EPL player could be around £1m for the season. Then you have to pick up a % , or maybe all, of their wages.

Some , if not all , of these guys are on serious money, Tammy for example, when he was here, was on £25k a week at Chelsea - I have no idea how much of that we paid but I guess a fair amount.

Oh, one more thing, we are broke thanks to Swiss Tony and LJ, so none of that is possible nowadays.

Yes but those are top loan prices. Some clubs are interested in their players getting better or just getting a portion of wages off their books. Look at Reading for example. They aren’t paying anywhere close to what some of their loan players make at their parent club. 

Money aside, because we all know it is an issue, it was weird to have that stance throughout the window. We have one objective and it is to stay up. So to say you won’t sign loan players that could help you achieve that is a bit confusing to me. There is clearly a bit of wiggle room or we would not have signed Tanner. 

2 hours ago, JoeAman08 said:

I was pretty underwhelmed to be honest. Saying similar things after Bournemouth and Forest. Everything he said we know. 

What I don’t get is he talked about passengers after last match. Made 1 change to the XI taking out the Man of the Match and goalscorer alex scott. Sure was Massengo but could someone else not been dropped? Weimann looking very much like a passenger since QPR away. 

Then starts Tanner and Massengo. Has Scott and Bell on the bench against West Brom who we expect to be a tough match. Then proceeds to say he didn’t want to expose young players too much. Basically made Tanner a scapegoat today when everyone was shit. Then brought on Danny Simpson who can’t run who the proceeded to make the same mistake Tanner did. 

Pearson is just flat out getting in wrong lately. Matty James can’t play in a 2 in the championship. In general we don’t really have good enough CMs to do this with any combination. Maybe Massengo and Williams but not sure we’ll ever see that. Then playing Weimann behind the strikers. He struggles with the ball at his feet but was asked to be the link between midfield and attack. He runs a lot. Ok how much has that helped the last 3 games? Baker and Dasilva don’t look right next to each other in the 5. Dasilva also never sprints, rarely puts his body on the line and generally looks a shell of the player he was pre shin injuries. Makes the left side very slow. We continue to have no plan of how to start an attack outside lump it up to Martin no matter what. Their 6’5 cbs won 98% of the aerial duels.

I just can’t see any plan. Making loads of changes for the sake of it now. I see someone struggling for solutions and slowly the players losing patience. His answers today were box standard say we weren’t good enough. Too many individuals didn’t show up. No shit! It was 3-0 and could have been 5 or 6. Things are starting to crumble and I’d have to see a hell of a performance next weekend to say I am wrong. 

Great post Joe. I wasnt there today but was at the previous two games this week and am really worried where this is all going. 

I'd really like NP to succeed. His record is fast becoming what would untenable at any club in the EFL. I'm also getting pretty bored of the "it's Lee Johnson/Ashton who should be blamed for how our team is". I genuinely think we've got enough good players to just about hold our own yet they cant seem to and I dont believe this is the fault of anyone outside the current coaching set-up... whatever that is now

Edited by Marina's Rolls Royce
  • Like 5
  • Flames 1

2 minutes ago, Marina's Rolls Royce said:

Great post Joe. I wasnt there today but was at the previous two games this week and am really worried where this is all going. 

I'd really like NP to succeed. His record is fast becoming what would untenable at any club in the EFL. I'm also getting pretty bored of the "it's Lee Johnson/Ashton who should be blamed for how our team is". I genuinely think we've got enough good players to just about hold our own yet they cant seem to and I dont believe this is the fault of anyone outside the current coaching set-up... whatever that is now.

I'd really like NP to succeed. His record is fast becoming what would untenable at any club in the EFL. I'm also getting pretty bored of the "it's Lee Johnson/Ashton who should be blamed for how our team is". I genuinely think we've got enough good players to just about hold our own yet they cant seem to and I dont believe this is the fault of anyone outside the current coaching set-up... whatever that is now.

You can say that again ?

He had a tough job. Still does as well but 100% this team isn’t producing performances they are capable of. Brought in a few he wanted so think it is reasonable to be expecting consistent hard working performances. We just haven’t had that. 

Just now, JoeAman08 said:

You can say that again ?

He had a tough job. Still does as well but 100% this team isn’t producing performances they are capable of. Brought in a few he wanted so think it is reasonable to be expecting consistent hard working performances. We just haven’t had that. 

Haha- yes- now edited!

Yes- NP has had an incredibly hard job but we are not a basket case club compared to so many. I think we were hoping for a bit better and maybe a home win? As for several matches of late, the only thing preventing us from conceding record breaking score lines has been the posts, abysmal finishing when clear through and DB.

• Like 2

I personally think Pearson is doing a good job. He’s got a limited squad to work with and I’ve been impressed with levels of commitment shown by the players on the whole (admittedly I wasn’t there today). It’s been a marked improvement from what I saw under Holden 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Ivorguy said:

NP’s interview was, as usual,realistic.  He looked very fed up, as well he might.

I like the way he faces us to the reality.

The next task is for him to raise the players’ game.  I wish him well and certainly don’t envy him.  We can’t expect him to make silk purses out of sows’ ears overnight.  I just hope he doesn’t get so fed up that he walks.

Shame he can't get a home performance out of his squad because I feel the tide is starting to turn against him 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, JoeAman08 said:

I was pretty underwhelmed to be honest. Saying similar things after Bournemouth and Forest. Everything he said we know. 

What I don’t get is he talked about passengers after last match. Made 1 change to the XI taking out the Man of the Match and goalscorer alex scott. Sure was Massengo but could someone else not been dropped? Weimann looking very much like a passenger since QPR away. 

Then starts Tanner and Massengo. Has Scott and Bell on the bench against West Brom who we expect to be a tough match. Then proceeds to say he didn’t want to expose young players too much. Basically made Tanner a scapegoat today when everyone was shit. Then brought on Danny Simpson who can’t run who the proceeded to make the same mistake Tanner did. 

Pearson is just flat out getting in wrong lately. Matty James can’t play in a 2 in the championship. In general we don’t really have good enough CMs to do this with any combination. Maybe Massengo and Williams but not sure we’ll ever see that. Then playing Weimann behind the strikers. He struggles with the ball at his feet but was asked to be the link between midfield and attack. He runs a lot. Ok how much has that helped the last 3 games? Baker and Dasilva don’t look right next to each other in the 5. Dasilva also never sprints, rarely puts his body on the line and generally looks a shell of the player he was pre shin injuries. Makes the left side very slow. We continue to have no plan of how to start an attack outside lump it up to Martin no matter what. Their 6’5 cbs won 98% of the aerial duels.

I just can’t see any plan. Making loads of changes for the sake of it now. I see someone struggling for solutions and slowly the players losing patience. His answers today were box standard say we weren’t good enough. Too many individuals didn’t show up. No shit! It was 3-0 and could have been 5 or 6. Things are starting to crumble and I’d have to see a hell of a performance next weekend to say I am wrong. 

Just on this note- I'm someone who still has faith in NP tbh, it's a big job and I don't envy him.

Tbh though, on this note I'm unsure that a side these days gets promoted with 2 in CM. Maybe 2 and one other attacking central midfielder in front but generally IMO it'll only take a club so far...3-4-3, maybe or 3-4-2-1 perhaps but...it's harder now than a while ago- only takes a side so far at this level now I think. Fortunately if and when Williams, Massengo and James are all fit at the same time there is our midfield.

• Like 2

To take a point or win against teams like WBA and Bournemouth We have to be on top and have luck. Yesterday neither was there, WBA far better team than us. What NP says after the game is irrelevant, we have to accept that our team on a bad day is not better then yesterday. Before the season I hoped that we should avoid relegation thats still the fact. LJ, Holden not good enough, NP same?  For me its the players not good enough. In Sweden we say: you cant cook a soup with a nail. Dont say our team are rubbish but I accept that we gonna have problems this season, last season after Christmas was disaster. The two late goals vs Forest was not good for confidence. It feels like a win vs Barnsley is needed for the players, to believe in there selves and believe in the team. Everything is not black or white, we have been in more difficaulties over the years. So lets get behind the team and take all points vs Barnsley. COYR!!!

• Like 2

11 hours ago, KegCity said:

In terms of style I think long-term he wants us to play a 4-2-3-1, which isn’t the best fit for the current squad. He persevered with it at the start of the season before switching to a back 3 (which the squad is set up for). Think that’s just a short-term fix to try and get some results on the board but who knows.

You can’t really discuss this season without mentioning the legacy he inherited as it provides so much context for the state of affairs on the pitch. Yes managers have to make the best of it, yes we should be doing better at home, but ultimately too many of the squad just aren’t good enough. Can’t see many current players still being at the club at the end of next season.

In terms of style of play I’m not sure if there’s one style we would suit as we have such a mix of players. Some suit pressing, some suit counterattacking, some suit a long ball. Again, this stems from the legacy NP inherited.

That being said, the style of play and results of recent games have been terrible after some good performances early in the season. Feels like we’ve been here before doesn’t it? Some strange decision making from the dugout, the only explanation for Tanner’s substitution I can think of was to take him out of firing line as he’s been having a good season so far.

I think he’s fine unless we’re touching the relegation zone, regardless of who’s in charge this is not an overnight fix and I can’t see anyone realistically available better to lead it other than Pearson.

If we had any chance of getting him in I’d agree, but that’s not happening.

All fair points and there’s clearly a lot of issues with where we are right now.

I’ve got a friend who’s a Watford fan and when we appointed NP and I asked his view I remember well him saying that one problem NP had was that when things weren’t going well (or even when they were going fairly well but not quite well enough) he didn’t seem able to turn things round or change things. 

I know what you mean about the style of football we’re suited too. I’ve said before that I think the biggest failing of our recruitment over the 2018-20 period was that we manage fo recruit in effect two sides, but whereas most clubs do that with a single style of play, and like for like replacements, in mind, we managed fo recruit two teams each suited to a different style. And now we’ve started losing a few players from each! So I get what you’re saying…….it just feels like NP is now trying to impose a third style on what’s left!

• Like 1

Pearson has inherited an awful squad that has been playing with no confidence for several years now and Johnson was the main culprit for that for the way he handled the players, Taylor Moore being a fine example, plays his best football so Johnson sticks him on the bench next game then sends him out on loan!

Johnson and Ashton between them continued to buy players that as Johnson called them "clubs in the bag" all similar type players with no plan how to utilise these players causing an unbalanced and unhappy sqaud with no style of play which we are still paying for to this day. 

If anyone thinks that this is going to be a 5 minute fix then they need to pull their head out of their a*s. 

Pearson has been straight with us telling us that it will be bumpy and will not happen overnight,he needs another 2 or 3 windows to start shaping the team with regards to style of play and the players to carry out what he asks, most of the players currently here can't.Pearson started the cull last summer getting rid of players that pretty much all fans wanted gone and that will carry on in the next couple of windows.

We have to take the positives with the signings that Pearson has already made with the likes of Atkinson, Tanner, James and to a certain extent King, if we manage to get in a few more players like this, particularly in forward areas and the improvement of some really talented youngsters we could see a positive future, so for me it's all about staying up this season. 

• Like 4

14 hours ago, sephjnr said:

Did he explain his thoughts behind the Tanner sub, and is the bullet still in his foot

⬇️⬇️⬇️

14 hours ago, Numero Uno said:

He did. Basically said that Tanner started the game very poorly and that was his decision whether people agree with it or not.

5639143A-7843-4C47-8DC0-EB183531946F.thumb.jpeg.72ead9018bce73a8bf8f9c6a8dac9890.jpeg

I genuinely see that as trying to protect Tanner, not throwing Tanner under the bus. Sephjnr, fine if you disagree. It wasn’t one mistake, it was the general case of not playing well, getting exposed by Townsend down his side, in part getting Kalas dragged out of position.

Re Simpson….tin hat on, but I thought he actually did ok….bar the shocking back pass.

14 hours ago, BasSavage88 said:

Becuase he is awful at his job and is making the club worse. It's not spouting hot air it's a football forum.

Are you saying no one can say they want a player / manager / employee out of the club without finding a cost effective and available replacement?

So you think if this run continues we won't sack Pearson becuase we can't afford it? 

What do you mean by making the club worse?

For over 3 years I’ve been highlighting that the club is heading towards a huge downturn, because we overspent.  Covid brought that point forward.

Results during Nige’s tenure have been worse.  This season they have improved, recent performances not good enough.

But I think if you don’t want to take into account (or even acknowledge) the “other stuff”, you’re only judging part of situation.  I think that’s wrong, but that’s up to you.

If, when the accounts come out and we losses in the £35m range, does that influence your thoughts.  You use the word “club”, but you only focus on results.  The other stuff is influencing results.

• Like 3

14 hours ago, Top Robin said:

Pearson has brought in 5 players of his choice which should have been enough to make that team better......basically they haven't improved the team enough and some might say, not at all. 

He should have brought in a forward but didn't and he has persevered with two average ones.

Plus with his managerial experience, he should have been able to improve some of the players we already had but he hasn't.

He has frankly been very disappointing as a manager. 

A hypothetical question for you.

Imagine letting 10 OOC players go, then looking at the contracted players and thinking there’s another 5 or 6 I wouldn’t really want here in an ideal world, but I can’t shift them because they are either on too much money or the impairment on their transfer fee amortisation will make FFP worse.

Is Tanner, Atkinson, King, James, enough?  (You can add Simpson, Weimann and Baker if you like).

• Like 1