IGNORED

Watched the Quest Highlights

Mr Popodopolous

Just now, Mr Popodopolous said:

I'm sure at least one if not both will be on the club highlights but...

Tanner backpass- for those who saw it, how bad was it? What roughly happened? The Simpson one was a shocker!

Wells disallowed goal just after Hugill opened the scoring- Error that went against us or correct decision but with a (very) late flag?

Wells disallowed goal was correct decision 

• Thanks 1

I've watched the disallowed goal back several times, and not wholly convinced.

Weimann seemed to get sandwiched/cleaned out a bit in the process too! Or at least clipped.

That aside, I'm not 100% that the WBA defender didn't get a toe on that or didn't bounce off him and go, perhaps Weimann onto WBA defender kinda thing. Was Wells offside when the ball was played?

image.thumb.png.a85c93f61c55dcb4124dde820cae2366.png# 

When the ball was played to Wells. It's incredibly tight if so but if he is then incredibly tight is good enough. That's from the better angle, that Robins TV showed a little later.

image.thumb.png.08d211248e0712bb68ab609484fd5d59.png

Cast iron certainty that there was no touch by a defender or touch by a defender from Weimann that broke through to Wells- and remember we have the benefit of multiple replays and angles, linesman can make that call with certainty from his position can he??

14 hours ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

Tanner backpass- for those who saw it, how bad was it? What roughly happened? The Simpson one was a shocker!

Wells disallowed goal just after Hugill opened the scoring- Error that went against us or correct decision but with a (very) late flag?

The linesman should NOT flag unless he is sure that Weimann passed it.

He will be mic’d up to the ref, and I’m sure will be asking “was it a City or WBA player that touched it”, ref will be saying, “was Wells offside at the point of contact, because it was Weimann who touched it”.

Therefore they did what they were meant to do.

Worse would’ve been for the limo to guess and flag offside.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

10 hours ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

I've watched the disallowed goal back several times, and not wholly convinced.

Weimann seemed to get sandwiched/cleaned out a bit in the process too! Or at least clipped.

That aside, I'm not 100% that the WBA defender didn't get a toe on that or didn't bounce off him and go, perhaps Weimann onto WBA defender kinda thing. Was Wells offside when the ball was played?

image.thumb.png.a85c93f61c55dcb4124dde820cae2366.png# 

When the ball was played to Wells. It's incredibly tight if so but if he is then incredibly tight is good enough. That's from the better angle, that Robins TV showed a little later.

image.thumb.png.08d211248e0712bb68ab609484fd5d59.png

Cast iron certainty that there was no touch by a defender or touch by a defender from Weimann that broke through to Wells- and remember we have the benefit of multiple replays and angles, linesman can make that call with certainty from his position can he??

I saw the behind the goal angle and it's inconclusive but you can see that Weimann and the defenders are both stretching their toes to the ball and could even have both made contact.

Regards Tanner's backpass, he passed it beyond the wide player nearest to him but didn't calculate that the striker could also run onto it.

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Davefevs said:

He will be mic’d up to the ref, and I’m sure will be asking “was it a City or WBA player that touched it”, ref will be saying, “was Wells offside at the point of contact, because it was Weimann who touched it”.

I think it would have been impossible for him to be 100% sure which foot touched it so you could argue that it was unfair for the lino to call it.

I think with Wells being in such an advantageous offside position the lino just erred in the side of caution because to incorrectly allow the goal would be embarrassing.

Just my best guess though.

2 minutes ago, mozo said:

I think it would have been impossible for him to be 100% sure which foot touched it so you could argue that it was unfair for the lino to call it.

I think with Wells being in such an advantageous offside position the lino just erred in the side of caution because to incorrectly allow the goal would be embarrassing.

Just my best guess though.

No, what I’m saying is that the Lino correctly kept his flag down because he did not know who made the touch.

Once the referee says it was Weimann then he has to give offside.

If the ref says it was Ajayi, then the goal stands.

It will 100% the ref confirming who made the touch.  All the Lino will do is inform him whether Wells was offside at the point Weimann touched it….which he was.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Davefevs said:

No, what I’m saying is that the Lino correctly kept his flag down because he did not know who made the touch.

Once the referee says it was Weimann then he has to give offside.

If the ref says it was Ajayi, then the goal stands.

It will 100% the ref confirming who made the touch.  All the Lino will do is inform him whether Wells was offside at the point Weimann touched it….which he was.

Yeah agreed ? 

1 hour ago, woodsyred said:

Whether he was onside or not 3-0 flattered us it really could have been 6 and Pearson is really struggling to get performances out of most players

I agree that we may well have been thrashed, certainly could have collapsed even if it was, goals do change games, can change narratives.

I suppose it must have been the right call though.

Thanks Dave. What I would say is that the ref is clearly behind the play so can he tell for sure from there that the pair of defenders didn't get a touch somewhere. Not far in front of the halfway line. Weimann and the 2 WBA CBs are right next to each other and he's behind albeit roughly in line so if they're reliant on the ref to make the call does he have the full picture.

Perhaps I'm clutching a bit..

16 hours ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

Not seen Tanner's, but Simpsons pass was beyond poor. Barely half way to Bentley.

The "goal" is interesting. He was offside, should have been a fairly straight forward one to flag. When he doesn't , it makes things a bit odd. No need to wait for VAR, but I wonder if he wasn't sure who played the ball, and so let it play out. Not sure it's the correct decision but in the Prem it would be great work. I had to look a few times to be satisfied Weimann got the touch, I think he did, but it looks close as the guy makes a challenge. In the Championship if you let the player go through to score, it normally means he's onside, I would love to hear the Lino's excuse.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, 1960maaan said:

Not seen Tanner's, but Simpsons pass was beyond poor. Barely half way to Bentley.

The "goal" is interesting. He was offside, should have been a fairly straight forward one to flag. When he doesn't , it makes things a bit odd. No need to wait for VAR, but I wonder if he wasn't sure who played the ball, and so let it play out. Not sure it's the correct decision but in the Prem it would be great work. I had to look a few times to be satisfied Weimann got the touch, I think he did, but it looks close as the guy makes a challenge. In the Championship if you let the player go through to score, it normally means he's onside, I would love to hear the Lino's excuse.

Davefevs explains above why the flag didn’t go up 

2 hours ago, Davefevs said:

Thoughtful analysis as always, Dave. I agree.

(I thought Weimann played it and it was offside.)

The only thing I thought was it should have been a foul to us. Weimann cleaned out before Wells was offside. But ref seem to forget that in the aftermath.

• Like 1

I think you’re dead right with this Dave. It’s what I said at the time. 

It’s a real tough one for the officials. From the perspective of where we were stood, it was impossible to judge the positions, we just saw the move, the ball go in the net, there was even time to then glance at the lino (as I often do) and throughout all that his flag was down. Then you see the Albion players, and a bank full of Albion fans, all throwing their arms up in the air and, even a second or so after that, he puts up his flag. It really looked like he flagged in response to those appeals. 

I’m sure that wasn’t the case, but it was one of those occasions when you’d probably benefit from the ref being able to explain it. 

Mind you, the ref and that lino got one or two other (less consequential things) completely wrong when they didn’t work together as they should have done. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, firstdivision said:

Thoughtful analysis as always, Dave. I agree.

(I thought Weimann played it and it was offside.)

The only thing I thought was it should have been a foul to us. Weimann cleaned out before Wells was offside. But ref seem to forget that in the aftermath.

Glad someone else mentioned this last bit, Weimann cleaned out, clipped, sandwiched whatever. Totally missed by the officials!

13 minutes ago, firstdivision said:

The only thing I thought was it should have been a foul to us. Weimann cleaned out before Wells was offside.

9 minutes ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

Glad someone else mentioned this last bit, Weimann cleaned out, clipped, sandwiched whatever. Totally missed by the officials!

Technically, as soon as the ball was touched by Weimann , Wells is offside. Then AW gets fouled, though as the Ref didn't actually wave play on I don't think he saw it as a foul.