IGNORED

Away “fan” behaviour

Wrongagain

5 hours ago, Bcfc54 said:

I have been a reader on this forum for many many years and this is my first post.

I was at the game yesterday with my husband, we follow City to every away game and have done so for a very long time, however we have decided that it’s time to choose carefully which games we attend in the future. The behaviour of some of our fans was appalling, standing in the aisle and standing two to a seat with no consideration for others. It was a friend of mine who was taken ill at half time, this was after a first half when we were having to stand the whole time in order to see the game, not a problem for most but difficult for some older supporters.

I have no problem with fans standing, however I think it’s time that football clubs look at the how away tickets are allocated so that supporters who want to sit can have tickets in the same area near the front and those who want to stand can do so nearer the back. It is a shame that older supporters and those with young children feel threatened and not comfortable going to away games.  Away games should be enjoyed by everyone whatever their age.

Totally agree with you, we don’t go to ‘local’ away games now because of the type of ‘supporters’ they attract. Such a shame that real supporters such as yourself are made to feel the way you are. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

36 minutes ago, Wiltshire robin said:

depends where they sit though , people were sitting in the first few rows yesterday so they shouldn’t have a problem. If they choose to sit half way up the stand what do they expect . Also it’s an away Game most clubs around the country all stand up away , they are lucky it’s not like that at City 

No, they shouldn’t have a problem, but they very often do.

I still remember, several years ago now, when we were playing at Portsmouth.

I was sat in the second row with my wife and young son. He was about 10 at the time.

A group of said inconsiderates in the front row insisted on standing despite being asked to sit.

We ended up having to move, as did an elderly gentleman who was in tears and who could hardly walk.

Edited by Redtucks
  • Like 1

This is why I don’t bother to go to many away matches these days. There are too many so called fans who have the attitude “we’re Bristol City we do what we want”. For them a short trip like WBA is just an excuse to get to the pub early and act like idiots during the match. I’ve got no problem with some people standing but, if they do, they should stand at the back so those sitting at the front can see. Unfortunately some people stay drinking as long as possible, get into the terraces just before the start of the match, and stand blocking the view of those who want to sit. There are some grounds where sitting and standing for away fans is clearly segregated - eg Burton - but these are few and far between. Nowadays I’m only likely to go to a crazy away matches, such as Middlesbrough mid week, as there are less drunks attending  and there is plenty of room for standing and sitting without any agro 

• Like 6

7 hours ago, bris red said:

Away games should be unreserved seating its as simple as that IMO.

I think Millwall might be, went a couple of times- unsure if it's the whole stand or part of it, but officially unreserved sections have to have IIRC a 10% cut in allocation. Unsure if that'd be just home areas however.

Edited by Mr Popodopolous

3 hours ago, RedM said:

Most of the problems I’ve witnessed when away stems from one thing. People who want to stand congregate at the back of the stand and those who want to sit generally know to take the lower seats, in both cases whether they are allocated to them or not.

At some grounds you are met by a steward who directs you to your allocated seat on your ticket, this is the first problem as it may not be suitable so you move somewhere else. At 2.58/7.43 someone then rocks up and decides they want the seat as it’s ‘theirs’

The bigger problem is though that groups of lads, as it tends to be ‘lads’, roll up late and can’t get into a crammed stand at the back of the block with all the super fan singers so they park themselves lower down and  then stand in front of elderly or children who have been in the ground for an hour or more so they could get a seat they could watch the match from. Selfish gits the lot of them as they won’t move or sit down. I’ve seen them ruin many peoples away day. 

This bit is certainly important to point out, each ground has a different set of official requirements- reserved, unreserved, partially standing and seating etc.

49 minutes ago, Wiltshire robin said:

Look it is what it is , as said before on this thread no other club moans about it why are fans get so uptight about it even though we rarely sell out is weird .

I'm not sure that 'it is what it is' makes it right though. You're right: it's generally not a huge issue, especially when we don't sell out, and people know the routine and get on with it. And that's fine if both parties are considerate of the other. And much of the time that's the case, and people respect each other. But it becomes very one sided that's not the case.

In the scheme of things yesterday it wasn't the worst thing that happened - although the earlier post from @Bcfc54 highlights what the consequences can be. But it's the attitude that goes with it - its my right to get pissed up, to do what I want, to threaten steward if I cant get a drink, to set off flares regardless of who's nearby, to walk all over other fans to get to where I want to stand, and to stand there regardless of the needs of those around me. It all goes together - from a minority, but on some trips a significant minority.

• Like 6
  • Flames 1

6 hours ago, Bcfc54 said:

I have been a reader on this forum for many many years and this is my first post.

I was at the game yesterday with my husband, we follow City to every away game and have done so for a very long time, however we have decided that it’s time to choose carefully which games we attend in the future. The behaviour of some of our fans was appalling, standing in the aisle and standing two to a seat with no consideration for others. It was a friend of mine who was taken ill at half time, this was after a first half when we were having to stand the whole time in order to see the game, not a problem for most but difficult for some older supporters.

I have no problem with fans standing, however I think it’s time that football clubs look at the how away tickets are allocated so that supporters who want to sit can have tickets in the same area near the front and those who want to stand can do so nearer the back. It is a shame that older supporters and those with young children feel threatened and not comfortable going to away games.  Away games should be enjoyed by everyone whatever their age.

Sorry to hear that...I hope your friend is OK now? 

2 minutes ago, Shaun Taylor said:

I'm not a rugby fan but as a comparison you very rarely hear of any trouble at rugby matches so what's different between the two sets of supporters as they're known to like a drink!

I’ve watched Bristol most of my life and have season tickets.

Its nowhere near as fun watching Bristol.

4 hours ago, 054123 said:

I’ve watched Bristol most of my life and have season tickets.

Its nowhere near as fun watching Bristol.

I agree to an extent but at the Mem, in a packed crowd, in a tight match it was brilliant. You must remember the Bris v Gloucester game in the 06/07 season?

The last 10 minutes Gloucester were camped in our end. I was stood on idiots corner in the wind and rain and it was a thriller. Jason Strange dropped over in the last few seconds to send Bris top. What a night that was. 

I think the biggest difference between Footy and Rugby is that Rugby is a slow burner. Most matches are decided long before the final whistle. 

Footy can turn on a sixpence. As we know all too well from the recent Forrest match. 89 minutes of 1-0 up and 3 points turns to 2-1 down and nothing in the space of 3 minutes. You don't often get that sort of last minute turn around in Rugby. 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, S25loyal said:

Yet the same people wonder why we keep failing as a club, get battered on and off the pitch by everyone. 

Curious about this, can you tell me which clubs have gained promotion to the top flight by having the best "firm". I presume that's what you mean by not getting battered off the pitch?

If promotion was simply down to having the hardest fans I think someone should let Steve Lansdown know and maybe he'd stop investing in the team and open a gym instead.

• Haha 2

7 hours ago, Midlands Robin said:

I agree to an extent but at the Mem, in a packed crowd, in a tight match it was brilliant. You must remember the Bris v Gloucester game in the 06/07 season?

The last 10 minutes Gloucester were camped in our end. I was stood on idiots corner in the wind and rain and it was a thriller. Jason Strange dropped over in the last few seconds to send Bris top. What a night that was. 

I think the biggest difference between Footy and Rugby is that Rugby is a slow burner. Most matches are decided long before the final whistle. 

Footy can turn on a sixpence. As we know all too well from the recent Forrest match. 89 minutes of 1-0 up and 3 points turns to 2-1 down and nothing in the space of 3 minutes. You don't often get that sort of last minute turn around in Rugby. 

Yeah, there were some good times at the Mem. If anything, rather like football, the atmosphere has died with the move to an all seater stadium.

I just feel the decline has been even more so with Bristol.

• Like 1

Despite what an earlier person suggested, I think part of the problem is that a lot of people genuinely don’t know whether seats are unreserved or not.

If clubs were clear that seats were unreserved, people who wanted to sit would gravitate to the front. The problem is that many of these aren’t sure, so sit in their prescribed seats. These might be in the middle of the stand, where they don’t really want to be and tying up seats where the ‘lads’ want to be, forcing them to the front.

Everyone loses.

I like the idea of selling 2 classes of tickets, priced the same, but indicating ‘singing’ or ‘family’ sections. Surely this can’t be too difficult?

21 hours ago, harvey54 said:

Try driving a minibus of football fans to away matches. Eye opening and very sad. Gave it up about 3 years ago as I was sick of the disgusting behaviour. 

Corrected that, sadly it's not just City

20 hours ago, Magger1 said:

There doesn’t seem to be any reports of fan arrest so I’d say I well behaved afternoon 

It's only a crime if you get caught hey?

7 minutes ago, MarcusX said:

It's only a crime if you get caught hey?

Normally if people are directing aggrovation at stewards they will just get ejected from the ground before it turns nasty and the police have to arrest people.  Most stewards are quite patient until it gets dangerous. 

Edited by Lorenzos Only Goal

16 hours ago, Wiltshire robin said:

Look it is what it is , as said before on this thread no other club moans about it why are fans get so uptight about it even though we rarely sell out is weird .

Is this actually true though? How do you know that "no other club moans about it"?

Personally I rarely sit in my seat at away games, and that's purely because I usual go on my own and I like to locate myself in and amongst the "noisier" fans and have a sing song. On your own it's fairly easy to squeeze in next to like minded people and not have to worry too much

I can understand it's frustrating though for people who dont want to or can't stand for long periods. For various reasons those people might not always be able to get in early and be near the front.

11 minutes ago, Lorenzos Only Goal said:

Normally if people are directing aggrovation at stewards they will just get ejected from the ground before it turns nasty and the police have to arrest people.  Most stewards are quite patient until it gets dangerous. 

Exactly so lack of arrests doesn't mean lack of problems? I was being a little facetious to be honest anyway

15 hours ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

There has probably been a bit of a resurgence of it post Covid, generally- it isn't hooliganism, but I dunno the correct word for it.

I think you're right it's not particularly hooliganism, it's "lad" behaviour. It's not just football, it's any time a group of lads (and it's more common in lads but don't get me wrong a group of women can be just as awful)

Take them away from the daily grind for a day/weekend etc with no responsibilities, no one questioning their behaviour and then the group mentality of egging each other on to do something silly (plus multiple drinks/drugs).

This isn't limited to football, you'll see it on nights out, stag does, lads holidays etc - and as I said, big groups of women on hen dos can be a horrible group to deal with too. 

• Like 2