IGNORED

Premiership promoted teams within the Lansdown ownership.

big p

How many different teams have been promoted to the Premiership since Steve Lansdown took control? This is not intended to having a dig, just curious. 

I've got, Burnley,Barnsley,Bournemouth,Brighton,Blackpool, Brentford,Westbrom,Wolves,Preston,Huddersfield,Fulham, Hull,Middlesbrough,Sunderland, Ipswich,Sheffield Utd, Qpr,Stoke,Reading,Swansea, Cardiff,Derby??, Leicester, Newcastle,Villa, Watford, Norwich..... 

Anymore?

Edited by big p
  • Like 1

• The title was changed to Premiership promoted teams within the Lansdown ownership.
2 hours ago, big p said:

How many different teams have been promoted to the Premiership since Steve Lansdown took control? This is not intended to having a dig, just curious. 

I've got, Burnley,Barnsley,Bournemouth,Brighton,Blackpool, Brentford,Westbrom,Wolves,Preston,Huddersfield,Fulham, Hull,Middlesbrough,Sunderland, Ipswich,Sheffield Utd, Qpr,Stoke,Reading,Swansea, Cardiff,Derby??, Leicester, Newcastle,Villa, Watford, Norwich..... 

Anymore?

Then why include all of those who have been in the top division since we last were? As those teams are in a much better place for reaching the premier league.

• Confused 1

2 hours ago, big p said:

Anymore?

Palace

Leeds

Birmingham 

Another question - how many clubs at Champ/L1 level have entered administration, a CVA, or some other form of serious financial distress during SL's tenure?

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Administration_(British_football)

Suggests it's about 20. And it includes a fair few of the clubs that have also gone up to the Prem in that time - clubs like Derby, Portsmouth, Bolton, Southampton, Leeds, Bournemouth, and Crystal Palace. 

Some might say that's a fair price for a season in the sun...I'm not so sure.

• Like 4
  • Flames 1

2 hours ago, Fordy62 said:

He’s invested a lot and for that I’m thankful. But he’s yet to pick the right manager to back. Unfortunately we’re now paying the price for just how dramatically he rolled the dice when he appointed LJ/MA and backed them so handsomely. 

Your ability to shoehorn LJ into so many of your posts is impressive ?

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

6 hours ago, Wiltshire robin said:

Way to many with much less investment.

im not quite sure where to put this as I didn’t want to start a new thread but multiple people told me on Saturday that the south stand is gonna be renamed to John pullin stand (after rugby player) . Anyone know if this is true?

**** me. Can’t be allowed to happen. Don’t know where they would’ve heard that though 

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, Bouncearoundtheground said:

**** me. Can’t be allowed to happen. Don’t know where they would’ve heard that though 

Yeh if it was just one person I would of thought bullshit but multiple people made me think somethings in it . Would be a complete joke tbh but I thought this would eventually happen when they took City of the dolman so it just said Bristol.

The history of Lansdown.

Take Lansdown as taking over club (chairman) 2002.

Legend:
Previously Prem team (PP), prior to 2002, or since
Team first time ever in Prem (FT), since SL taking over in 2002

Teams promoted to Premiership since 2002:
2002/3 - **Portsmouth(PP), Leicester(PP), Wolves(FT) - City were Division 2, finished 3rd
2003/4 - **Norwich(PP), WBA(FT), Palace(PP) - City were Division 2, finished 3rd
2004/5 - **Sunderland(PP), Wigan(FT), West Ham(PP) - City were League 1, finished 7th
2005/6 - **Reading(FT), Sheffield Utd(PP), Watford(PP) - City were League 1, finished 9th
2006/7 - *Sunderland(PP), Birmingham(PP), Derby(PP) - City were League 1, finished 2nd
2007/8 - ***WBA(PP), Stoke(FT), Hull(FT) - City were Championship, finished 4th
2008/9 - **Wolves(PP), Birmingham(PP), Burnley(FT) - City were Championship, finished 10th
2009/10 - **Newcastle(PP), WBA(PP), Blackpool(FT) - City were Championship, finished 10th
2010/11 - *QPR(PP), Norwich(PP), Swansea(FT) - City were Championship, finished 15th
2011/12 - *Reading(PP), Southampton(PP), West Ham(PP) - City Championship, finished 20th
2012/13 - *Cardiff(FT), Hull(PP), Palace (PP) - City were Championship, finished 24th
2013/14 - *Leicester(PP), Burnley(PP), QPR(PP) - City were League 1, finished 12th
2014/15 - **Bournemouth(FT), Watford(PP), Norwich(PP) - City were League 1, finished 1st
2015/16 - *Burnley(PP), Middlesborough(PP), Hull(PP) - City were Championship, finished 18th
2016/17 - ***Newcastle(PP), Brighton(FT), Huddersfield(FT) - City were Championship, finished 17th
2017/18 - *Wolves(PP), Cardiff(PP), Fulham(PP) - City were Championship, finished 11th
2018/19 - *Norwich(PP), Sheffield Utd(PP), Aston Villa(PP) - City were Championship, finished 8th
2019/20 - *Leeds(PP), WBA(PP), Fulham(PP) - City were Championship, finished 12th
2020/21 - **Norwich(PP), Watford(PP), Brentford(FT) - City were Championship, finished 19th
*All promotion slots taken by previous Prem teams - happened 9 times
** Two promotion slots taken by previous Prem teams - happened 8 times
*** One promotion slot slot taken by previous Prem team - happened 2 times
At no time has all three promotion slots been occupied by a team not previously in the Premiership.

So the list I believe is: Wolves, WBA, Wigan, Reading, Stoke, Hull, Burnley, Blackpool, Swansea, Cardiff, Bournemouth, Brighton, Huddersfield, Brentford.
Fourteen new clubs in the Premiership since SL has taken over (as Chairman).

Since 2002, there have been 57 opportunities for promotion from the second tier to the top division, only 14 new clubs have made it. 25%

However, City have been in Championship for only 12 years, so only had 12 opportunities to get promoted to the Premiership.
During this time, only 9 teams have been promoted to the Premiership for the first time, out of 36 opportunities: Stoke, Hull, Burnley, Blackpool, Swansea, Cardiff, Brighton, Huddersfield, Brentford
25%

It appears that any team wanting to break into the Premiership has a 25% chance of achieving it (obviously once they've gotten into the Championship) i.e. the odds are stacked against breaking into the Premiership for the first time (now isn't that a surprise considering parachute payments and the likelihood that teams coming down will likely retain the quality of their teams?).

In that time, we've had Danny Wilson (2000-2004), Brian Tinnion (2004-2005), Gary Johnson (2005-2010), Steve Coppell (2010), Kieth Millen (2010-2011), Derrick McInnes (2011-2013), Sean O'Driscoll (2013), Steve Cotterill (2013-2016), Lee Johnson (2016-2020), Dean Holden (2020-2021), Nigel Pearson (2021-).
Only 2 have taken City up.
Only 3 had Premiership experience, Danny Wilson (can say that SL was responsible for his recruitment?), one left after a very short time (not SL's fault but he was lauded for being positive for the recruitment) and the other is our current manager. Personally, I've raised an eyebrow with some of his choices but supported the manager as best I could, possibly with the exception of DM.

Fans can read into why City have never been promoted to the Premiership anyway they like and this is evidenced on this board. The odds however indicates it requires a special team/manager to be in place, with a touch fo luck, against capable ex-Premiership teams. 

Factor in Financial Fair Play regulations and it is clear that a owner has their hands tied and can not use their own money to buy their way in.

And to top it all off, recently, Covid came along and knackered up a lot of club's finances.

Here's to NP turning things around.

• Admin
8 hours ago, bcfcfinker said:

The history of Lansdown.

Take Lansdown as taking over club (chairman) 2002.

Legend:
Previously Prem team (PP), prior to 2002, or since
Team first time ever in Prem (FT), since SL taking over in 2002

Teams promoted to Premiership since 2002:
2002/3 - **Portsmouth(PP), Leicester(PP), Wolves(FT) - City were Division 2, finished 3rd
2003/4 - **Norwich(PP), WBA(FT), Palace(PP) - City were Division 2, finished 3rd
2004/5 - **Sunderland(PP), Wigan(FT), West Ham(PP) - City were League 1, finished 7th
2005/6 - **Reading(FT), Sheffield Utd(PP), Watford(PP) - City were League 1, finished 9th
2006/7 - *Sunderland(PP), Birmingham(PP), Derby(PP) - City were League 1, finished 2nd
2007/8 - ***WBA(PP), Stoke(FT), Hull(FT) - City were Championship, finished 4th
2008/9 - **Wolves(PP), Birmingham(PP), Burnley(FT) - City were Championship, finished 10th
2009/10 - **Newcastle(PP), WBA(PP), Blackpool(FT) - City were Championship, finished 10th
2010/11 - *QPR(PP), Norwich(PP), Swansea(FT) - City were Championship, finished 15th
2011/12 - *Reading(PP), Southampton(PP), West Ham(PP) - City Championship, finished 20th
2012/13 - *Cardiff(FT), Hull(PP), Palace (PP) - City were Championship, finished 24th
2013/14 - *Leicester(PP), Burnley(PP), QPR(PP) - City were League 1, finished 12th
2014/15 - **Bournemouth(FT), Watford(PP), Norwich(PP) - City were League 1, finished 1st
2015/16 - *Burnley(PP), Middlesborough(PP), Hull(PP) - City were Championship, finished 18th
2016/17 - ***Newcastle(PP), Brighton(FT), Huddersfield(FT) - City were Championship, finished 17th
2017/18 - *Wolves(PP), Cardiff(PP), Fulham(PP) - City were Championship, finished 11th
2018/19 - *Norwich(PP), Sheffield Utd(PP), Aston Villa(PP) - City were Championship, finished 8th
2019/20 - *Leeds(PP), WBA(PP), Fulham(PP) - City were Championship, finished 12th
2020/21 - **Norwich(PP), Watford(PP), Brentford(FT) - City were Championship, finished 19th
*All promotion slots taken by previous Prem teams - happened 9 times
** Two promotion slots taken by previous Prem teams - happened 8 times
*** One promotion slot slot taken by previous Prem team - happened 2 times
At no time has all three promotion slots been occupied by a team not previously in the Premiership.

So the list I believe is: Wolves, WBA, Wigan, Reading, Stoke, Hull, Burnley, Blackpool, Swansea, Cardiff, Bournemouth, Brighton, Huddersfield, Brentford.
Fourteen new clubs in the Premiership since SL has taken over (as Chairman).

Since 2002, there have been 57 opportunities for promotion from the second tier to the top division, only 14 new clubs have made it. 25%

However, City have been in Championship for only 12 years, so only had 12 opportunities to get promoted to the Premiership.
During this time, only 9 teams have been promoted to the Premiership for the first time, out of 36 opportunities: Stoke, Hull, Burnley, Blackpool, Swansea, Cardiff, Brighton, Huddersfield, Brentford
25%

It appears that any team wanting to break into the Premiership has a 25% chance of achieving it (obviously once they've gotten into the Championship) i.e. the odds are stacked against breaking into the Premiership for the first time (now isn't that a surprise considering parachute payments and the likelihood that teams coming down will likely retain the quality of their teams?).

In that time, we've had Danny Wilson (2000-2004), Brian Tinnion (2004-2005), Gary Johnson (2005-2010), Steve Coppell (2010), Kieth Millen (2010-2011), Derrick McInnes (2011-2013), Sean O'Driscoll (2013), Steve Cotterill (2013-2016), Lee Johnson (2016-2020), Dean Holden (2020-2021), Nigel Pearson (2021-).
Only 2 have taken City up.
Only 3 had Premiership experience, Danny Wilson (can say that SL was responsible for his recruitment?), one left after a very short time (not SL's fault but he was lauded for being positive for the recruitment) and the other is our current manager. Personally, I've raised an eyebrow with some of his choices but supported the manager as best I could, possibly with the exception of DM.

Fans can read into why City have never been promoted to the Premiership anyway they like and this is evidenced on this board. The odds however indicates it requires a special team/manager to be in place, with a touch fo luck, against capable ex-Premiership teams. 

Factor in Financial Fair Play regulations and it is clear that a owner has their hands tied and can not use their own money to buy their way in.

And to top it all off, recently, Covid came along and knackered up a lot of club's finances.

Here's to NP turning things around.

This just backs up that something needs to be done with regard to parachute payments, it totally skews the Championship and as far as I am concerned it’s a joke of a league.  There must be some way of levelling up, whether that be allowing owners to add funds up to the value of the PP without counting against FFP, or the Premier league paying the differential in wages to players that are relegated until end of contract, so the club does not receive money for failure.  Another option would be a compulsory clause in Premier league player (and footballing staff, Managers, coaches etc.) that reduces their salary to Championship level in the event of relegation.

How such a system is allowed to continue and disadvantage 21 clubs every season is a disgrace and should be dealt with as a matter of urgency, this season is looking quite likely that three failures will be rewarded handsomely with PP and a return to the Prem.