IGNORED

Laptop/IMAC

Red Army 75

Please could one of the more technical posters give me some advice on which is the best one to buy. We are buying one for my lad for Xmas as he has exams coming up in 18 months . With several family members chipping funds are available. So value for money is there any models you could suggest. 

Any feedback is greatly appreciated. Thanks 

A Windows PC/Laptop will offer better value for money. Unless you specifically need an Apple device, i know which way I'd go.

All about your budget really. With a Windows device, even £100 more or less can make a difference to what you are getting. Little bit more performance, more storage or even a larger screen for example.

Worth popping into your local high street computer shop, they can often offer custom builds to a budget and you have someone to take it to if you have issues.

• Thanks 1

16 minutes ago, Gazred said:

A Windows PC/Laptop will offer better value for money. Unless you specifically need an Apple device, i know which way I'd go.

All about your budget really. With a Windows device, even £100 more or less can make a difference to what you are getting. Little bit more performance, more storage or even a larger screen for example.

Worth popping into your local high street computer shop, they can often offer custom builds to a budget and you have someone to take it to if you have issues.

Thank you. Helpful 

• Like 1

On a vaguely related subject, I am still running my PC using Windows 7!

Despite the regular reminders from Microsoft that it is no longer supported and that I should update/upgrade to Windows 10, I have encountered no problems so far.

I use my computer for Internet, Mail (Outlook) and MS Office (Version 2010) - essentially Word and Excel.

Is there anything I should be wary of?

While I haven't had an IMAC, I've had a few MacBook Pros and Airs and they are easily the best thing I have ever bought. They are so easy to use, never go wrong/freeze/get viruses. They are also good for University due to the various video editing softwares already built in (depending on course obviously). They are also easy to sync up if he already has an iPhone/iPod, etc.

Also, its worth noting Apples support once you've purchased one is second to none (in my experience). I took mine in to an apple shop after a year due to me deleting some files, they took it out the back, came back out around 20 mins later and not only had sorted my issues, but also upgraded the processor and sense pad for the keyboard all for free because I was still under warranty. It was about £400 worth fo work (apparently) for nothing.

However I do agree with the above that in terms of value for money, a Windows based laptop will get you a good machine for a lot less money, potentially 30% less.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I got so sick and fed up of Windows operating systems that I went apple a few years ago. Friends had recommend Apple, as they had had theirs for years with no issues. I love the desk top , and I have a MacBook Air . Now if money is no issue I would go Apple, if you have to think budget then you could replace a PC a couple of times and not have spent as much as you could on an Apple device. I've had the Air for about 8 years, still going strong. 
I can't speak for current Windows systems, I really couldn't take any more from around Vista. 

• Haha 1

I'm a huge fan of the MacBook's, they are just easier to use, and last a lot longer in my experience. These new ones that have just been released are absolute monsters that will crush any Windows equivalent CPU-wise.

That said, per £, they are far worse value for money than a decent Windows laptop. You get 90% of the benefit for a fraction of the price.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, TomF said:

Vista was comfortably the worst OS microsoft ever produced. However 7 & 10 are absolutely fine since and a world away from that crap. 

It was horrible, talking to experts to be told .... "it shouldn't do that"  well no shit ! 

8 minutes ago, nebristolred said:

I'm a huge fan of the MacBook's, they are just easier to use, and last a lot longer in my experience. These new ones that have just been released are absolute monsters that will crush any Windows equivalent CPU-wise.

That said, per £, they are far worse value for money than a decent Windows laptop. You get 90% of the benefit for a fraction of the price.

Before I got my MacBook, I tried another Laptop. Budget version and I ended up sending it back. The MacBook was probably 2 or 3 times the price, but as I said, 8 years and still going strong (*touches wood ) . Previously after about half that Time I have had to replace , or at the very least reboot. 
My problem now is, as everything is Apple, means I'm stuck. So used to everything linking together it would be hard to go back.
Totally agree with what you say about value, but I balanced the price against longevity , plus I had the chance to get the Mac stuff at employee prices so saved a little. So far I'm pleased with the decision

• Like 1