IGNORED

The Pearson Debate - Something Not Mentioned Yet…

Harry

Welcome back. Well sounds like you are not totally convinced by anything at present happening at the club presently. Where we have to defer opinion as you seem better informed on the recruitment staffs ability's. I not sure what to think. I feel the rebuild of club structure and players is at least a 5 season job. And we going to see it rough and bumpy at times, as it is at present. But I have a hope that we have started to see moves in the right direction with players and the backroom and higher members of staff. But it is only the start. So just hope it all worth it in the end. I am city till I die so what will happen will happen.

COYR

• Like 2
  • Robin 1

9 minutes ago, Lrrr said:

?

it’s been clear from your posting for a long time you have an axe to grind with recruitment analysis and data analysts as much as you try to say you don’t here it’s still evident from the way you write it. 

I had a huge axe to grind when Ashton was here as I knew exactly what his game was and that it wasn’t healthy for this club. I had personal dealings with him and knew he was a rotter. 
And now I have an axe to grind because Lansdown has let the club go from 1 man controlling everything to no one in control of recruitment at all. 
I don’t have anything against the data analysts whatsoever. They are a perfectly normal part of the modern game. 
But I do have a mountainous problem with a data analyst running the whole recruitment department and not taking phone calls from agents. 
Do you agree that a proper Head of Recruitment is needed? 

Edited by Harry
  • Like 12
  • Flames 1

The big problem as I see it with the "Lansdown model" is how can it work without a scouting network deeply embedded within the game?

If that is missing then how are we supposed to locate these players that other clubs have missed, snap them up for a bargain price and develop them into assets worth multiple millions?

on the flip side of the coin, Atkinson and Tanner both look like great signings who do fit the mold of the type of player we should be signing. Tanner was signed as that archetypal young player who we could mold into a first team regular and within a week or two he's already in the first team and starting.

That says something positive about our recruitment process if those two are anything to go by.

It would definitely appear that we have a significant amount of work to do to broaden and deepen our scouting and recruiting team but it can't be all bad if Atkinson and Tanner are anything to go by.

• Like 3

Good to see you back @Harry

My gut feeling was that a head of recruitment was being looked at in the summer, quite possibly Steve Walsh, but I believe he is currently in a job. When no one was appointed, I assumed that was because the people we were after, weren’t available or didn’t want to come, but the hunt remained.

When the Bristol Post story came out last week about the data guys, it did feel like a PR stunt by the club,

Do you think we are actually after anyone for that role? 

• Flames 1

And now to give a fuller description of this fella Sean Gilhespy:

https://www.bristolpost.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/inside-bristol-citys-recruitment-team-6030875

It's not full of the emotional baggage Harry seems to carry around, which on occasion seems to be a chip on the shoulder, but maybe City are a bit more discerning on the agents they talk too and Harry's 'agent acquaintances' aren't on City's, so don't get their calls returned?

The article gives a fuller insight to recruitment at City. Not traditional and probably not to everyones liking, but nor are Harry's personal ramblings about how he thinks recruitment should be done.

37 minutes ago, bcfcfinker said:

https://www.bristolpost.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/inside-bristol-citys-recruitment-team-6030875

It's not full of the emotional baggage Harry seems to carry around, which on occasion seems to be a chip on the shoulder, but maybe City are a bit more discerning on the agents they talk too and Harry's 'agent acquaintances' aren't on City's, so don't get their calls returned?

The article gives a fuller insight to recruitment at City. Not traditional and probably not to everyones liking, but nor are Harry's personal ramblings about how he thinks recruitment should be done.

City recruit is far from best in class . The current set up is only partially fit for purpose .  It has gaping holes . It needs upgrading ASAP . 

2 hours ago, Oh Louie louie said:

20 odd years now we have had sl.

Look where we are.

A dogfight.

Imagine another 20 years of this

As ever, it all leads back to SL. He’s invested… just not often well and I wonder what desire for success he has left in him. We’ve had 20 years of getting nowhere fast… but so has he. 

• Like 4

4 hours ago, bcfcfinker said:

I don’t see the benefit of only talking to certain agents? You’d always be missing out on certain players…it doesn’t make sense. I’m sure it does happen in other clubs where Brian doesn’t like talking to Jeff the Agent because he is a bit of a scallywag but you need to rise above that, it’s business! You employ the right people to deal with agents.

• Like 1

Given the money wasted on players, it baffles me why Lansdown has not used his money to create an elite recruitment department. Go and study how those sides that overachieve through good recruitment do it and identify the best person you possibly can to run it. It seems like a no brainer. Instead we’re nearly 20 years into Lansdown’s reign and we have a recruitment department made up of a small group of analysts / interns! 

Edited by SuperRed
  • Like 7

5 hours ago, bcfcfinker said:

Either way you’d be awfully naïve to not fully recognise just what ‘rebuild’ actually means.

The next few years is going to be a bumpy road and if a ‘bad 7 days’ gives you the shits then it might be best you look away now.

Edited by 054123
  • Like 6
  • Thanks 1

42 minutes ago, 054123 said:

Either way you’d be awfully naïve to not fully recognise just what ‘rebuild’ actually means.

The next few years is going to be a bumpy road and if a ‘bad 7 days’ gives you the shits then it might be best you look away now.

I agree - and goodness knows we've been in worse places than this in the past. The joy of this season would be seeing some young stars of the future emerge...and avoiding relegation.

However, I find it harder to get excited about the Lansdown 'rebuilds'...each appears to be followed by a squandering of the opportunities and back to square one. The last rebuild - under SOD and Cotts put us in a great position. SL threw it away. The temptation to 'look away' gets greater each time it happens.

• Like 11

36 minutes ago, Major Isewater said:

What’s the point in paying a Head of Recruitment when we haven’t got any money to bring anyone in? 

To find targets in the lower leagues that are affordable (Tanner etc) and to identify players that we'd look to bring in at a later date when there's more money available. Preparation and planning are never bad things.

• Like 5

As I remember, under Ashton we used scouting software/player database stuff licensed to us by a company he owns. IIRC that was implemented when he was a consultant with us, and then also used whilst he was CEO. The article with Gilhespy says we have "our own" database, but doesn't elaborate on that very much.

My question to @Harry - do you know if we still use Ashton's stuff, or did that get canned when Ashton left?

• Like 2