IGNORED

Towler

the1stknowle

34 minutes ago, cidered abroad said:

I wonder if NP will bring him back on Jan 1 to play left centre in a three or left back in a four.

Either way it would leave Pring to go left side midfield in three, four or five. The may make errors but are both hardworking and will help each other in defence and attack.

It`s certainly worth thinking about. Hopefully Bakes is as OK as he can be but you never know with neck/head injuries, he could be out for a while yet.

34 minutes ago, JonDolman said:

I fancy him to make it with us for sure. Reminds me of Lloyd Kelly.

Yes - which worries me because you have to be supremely talented to be that laid back and not put a foot wrong. 

I'd much prefer Towler to make better use of his size, e.g. be more like Nathan Baker (a fit one) than Lloyd Kelly. He might learn to physically impose himself on opponents but - as a converted midfielder - I'm not sure he's a warrior centre half at heart. 

6 minutes ago, GrahamC said:

I think he has a great chance of making it but the step up between where he is currently playing & our level is enormous.

Not sure about that, Graham!!

In all seriousness, it's sill pro football, and the gap between the top of the Conference and L2 is not that big as the likes of Harrogate, Sutton and Salford have shown recently...

If he really is looking a level above though, then I wonder if we will look to find him a L1/L2 loan move in January?

2 minutes ago, Kid in the Riot said:

In all seriousness, it's sill pro football, and the gap between the top of the Conference and L2 is not that big as the likes of Harrogate, Sutton and Salford have shown recently...

If he really is looking a level above though, then I wonder if we will look to find him a L1/L2 loan move in January?

No argument, I doubt there is much between the standard & the bottom third League One but to face say, Forest, Bournemouth & WBA, as we have in our last 3, that’s a big step up.

If he could get a L1 club in January that would be ideal.

Like him as a player though, think he’s got a chance of making it.

• Like 2

34 minutes ago, Merrick's Marvels said:

Yes - which worries me because you have to be supremely talented to be that laid back and not put a foot wrong. 

I'd much prefer Towler to make better use of his size, e.g. be more like Nathan Baker (a fit one) than Lloyd Kelly. He might learn to physically impose himself on opponents but - as a converted midfielder - I'm not sure he's a warrior centre half at heart. 

Lloyd is now a very strong and imposing CB. He’s grown into an athletic frame and muscles players off the ball these days.

As you say Ryley will need to do the same. 

37 minutes ago, Merrick's Marvels said:

Kelly has improved a lot since he was here as was expected. He’s now easily good enough for premier league in my opinion 

• Like 1

47 minutes ago, Kid in the Riot said:

I have to say I was very surprised he didn't get one to start the season with.  I know Tins has always preferred to place players where they'll get exposure to men's football, but after some of his displays at this level in the few chances he had I found it strange that National League was the highest level that we could get that guarantee for someone with such promise. 

10 hours ago, Dolman_Stand said:

I like the optimism but Kelly was far more comfortable at Championship level at a younger age than Towler. I hope RT makes it here long term but the comparison is miles off.

I think this is very harsh. Maybe struggled sometimes out of position at left wing back but generally Towler did pretty well at LB or LCB. Definitely saw Kelly struggle a number of times in championship - both for us and also at start of Bournemouth career. 

17 hours ago, Davefevs said:

Lloyd is now a very strong and imposing CB. He’s grown into an athletic frame and muscles players off the ball these days.

As you say Ryley will need to do the same. 

Needs to do the same body conditioning regime as Bobby Reid did, he seemingly took one summer to totally change body shape. 

I keep telling myself I'll do the same one summer. Honest. 

17 minutes ago, the1stknowle said:

I think this is very harsh. Maybe struggled sometimes out of position at left wing back but generally Towler did pretty well at LB or LCB. Definitely saw Kelly struggle a number of times in championship - both for us and also at start of Bournemouth career. 

I do feel that, age for age, Kelly looked the better, classier player at a comparable stage in his development, but nevertheless you do have a very valid point. I can recall LJ subbing Kelly very early on at least one occasion, in response to a sloppy and complacent performance, and then omitting him from the match day squad altogether, with the apparent intention of providing him with a sharp reality check.

He, Kelly, didn’t look a Rolls Royce of a footballer every time he took to the field, which is easily forgotten. I can’t remember him going out on loan, though. It may be that my memory is at fault, but I think LK was kept closer to our own first team environment. Whether a young, developing player’s best interests are served by the kind of experience Towler is currently getting depends, I suppose, on the particular individual in question.

12 hours ago, CliftonCliff said:

I do feel that, age for age, Kelly looked the better, classier player at a comparable stage in his development, but nevertheless you do have a very valid point. I can recall LJ subbing Kelly very early on at least one occasion, in response to a sloppy and complacent performance, and then omitting him from the match day squad altogether, with the apparent intention of providing him with a sharp reality check.

He, Kelly, didn’t look a Rolls Royce of a footballer every time he took to the field, which is easily forgotten. I can’t remember him going out on loan, though. It may be that my memory is at fault, but I think LK was kept closer to our own first team environment. Whether a young, developing player’s best interests are served by the kind of experience Towler is currently getting depends, I suppose, on the particular individual in question.

He Kelly stayed with City for personal/family reasons.

• Thanks 1

On 25/10/2021 at 13:09, cidered abroad said:

I wonder if NP will bring him back on Jan 1 to play left centre in a three or left back in a four.

Either way it would leave Pring to go left side midfield in three, four or five. The may make errors but are both hardworking and will help each other in defence and attack.

Personally hope he stays on loan, whether that’s at Grimsby or in the EFL. Potential promotion would be a great experience for him

On 25/10/2021 at 14:09, Merrick's Marvels said:

Tell that to Chris Martin! Lloyd Kelly won almost every header against Martin

9 minutes ago, Henry said:

Tell that to Chris Martin! Lloyd Kelly won almost every header against Martin

It was obvious that Lloyd Kelly was a class act just a few games into his career at City but that’s not what Towler has shown in few games hes played for City.

His loan spell will give ‘miles on the clock’ and he may return the better for it but based on what I saw in the few games he featured for us I seriously doubt it.

He’s nowhere near the quality of Kelly - if he were then he’d be a starter every match.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Robbored said:

It was obvious that Lloyd Kelly was a class act just a few games into his career at City but that’s not what Towler has shown in few games hes played for City.

His loan spell will give ‘miles on the clock’ and he may return the better for it but based on what I saw in the few games he featured for us I seriously doubt it.

He’s nowhere near the quality of Kelly - if he were then he’d be a starter every match.

I agree with that but I’m not sure what your reply has to do with my post?