IGNORED

Towler

the1stknowle

There was something about Towler possibly being recalled today- anyone heard anything?

Recalled in January I mean.

Not sure pulling him out mid season or midway through his loan spell would be a good plan- let him develop and flourish until May, assuming it's going well of course.

https://www.bristolpost.co.uk/sport/football/bristol-city-grimsby-town-loan-6347581

Edited by Mr Popodopolous

4 minutes ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

There was something about Towler possibly being recalled today- anyone heard anything?

Not sure pulling him out mid season or midway through his loan spell would be a good plan- let him develop and flourish until May, assuming it's going well of course.

I think it's only worth doing if he's going to be getting regular games. But there's Baker and Atkinson ahead of him as left-sided centre-back so I'm not convinced he will yet. 

EDIT: I suppose we could also decide we wanted to get him a League One or League Two loan, which could also make sense. Although - if he's playing regularly at Grimsby and enjoying it - maybe it is best to let him see out the season. 

Edited by LondonBristolian

3 minutes ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

https://www.bristolpost.co.uk/sport/football/bristol-city-grimsby-town-loan-6347581

Could it be that Baker will be out due to head injury?

5 minutes ago, LondonBristolian said:

I think it's only worth doing if he's going to be getting regular games. But there's Baker and Atkinson ahead of him as left-sided centre-back so I'm not convinced he will yet. 

EDIT: I suppose we could also decide we wanted to get him a League One or League Two loan, which could also make sense. Although - if he's playing regularly at Grimsby and enjoying it - maybe it is best to let him see out the season. 

We did this with Cundy last season. Gillingham to Cambridge 

6 minutes ago, LondonBristolian said:

Agreed. Unsure about fast tracking him even to L1 or L2 just yet tbh, but maybe- I do think though that with Semenyo it would have been better to leave him at Newport where he was in a good run of form or displays at least- yeah he is developing and yeah he is a talent but did the recall stall him a bit?

45 minutes ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

Agreed. Unsure about fast tracking him even to L1 or L2 just yet tbh, but maybe- I do think though that with Semenyo it would have been better to leave him at Newport where he was in a good run of form or displays at least- yeah he is developing and yeah he is a talent but did the recall stall him a bit?

It did because Johnson made a mess of using him.

If we're short of CBs I'd rather have Towler as back up than have to source another CB from elsewhere

Think the story is purely that City can’t commit to him staying at Grimsby at this present time.  That could be for various reasons:

• City want him back for their first team squad
  • City have an EFL loan planned
  • City are a bit worried he’s not starting in recent weeks as results have taken a disnturn
  • etc
  • Like 2

20 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

Think the story is purely that City can’t commit to him staying at Grimsby at this present time.  That could be for various reasons:

• City are a bit worried he’s not starting in recent weeks as results have taken a disnturn
  • etc

But why send Bell there when Ryley wasn’t getting minutes?

33 minutes ago, alexukhc said:

But why send Bell there when Ryley wasn’t getting minutes?

One month only, different positions too.  I’m not saying city have fallen out with Grimsby, just if Towler isn’t gonna get the minutes he was earlier in his loan, then they may look elsewhere.  I’m sure relations with Hurst are very good, otherwise they wouldn’t have sent Bell there.

• Like 4

11 hours ago, Davefevs said:

• etc

Benched for 2 games after they had a bad run, back in at LB (apparently) for the defeat where Bell scored. The next game not in the squad, I wonder if there was an injury, been at least in every squad until then. 
In that winning run, he had been regularly praised, the Aldershot game he gave away the free kick that lead to the goal (reading their report) and he was benched the following game. Bit early to take it he has been given up on IMO.  I don't see him being ready for the Championship yet, and with Pring able to cover LCB would we need him on the bench? That leaves a higher level loan maybe.
I hadn't seen the piece about him maybe being recalled, I guess it could be a L2 loan. He was getting rave reviews earlier in the season, someone may have made an approach before Grimsby's form dropped off. 

Towler was the 3rd LB Grimsby had used in a few games, they had had a few suspensions , so it may be they are searching for the right mix again. All a bit Lee Johnson ATM, one defeat in 10, 6 defeats in 7 and players in and out of the squad. 
There are 4 games before Jan 1st, we will see where he stands by then. I think you nailed the key sentence Dave. " City can’t commit to him staying at Grimsby at this present time". If they say anything definitely and someone comes in from L1, or we have a crisis etc, they look stupid. They won't commit until everything is decided.

• Like 2

49 minutes ago, 1960maaan said:

Benched for 2 games after they had a bad run, back in at LB (apparently) for the defeat where Bell scored. The next game not in the squad, I wonder if there was an injury, been at least in every squad until then. 
In that winning run, he had been regularly praised, the Aldershot game he gave away the free kick that lead to the goal (reading their report) and he was benched the following game. Bit early to take it he has been given up on IMO.  I don't see him being ready for the Championship yet, and with Pring able to cover LCB would we need him on the bench? That leaves a higher level loan maybe.
I hadn't seen the piece about him maybe being recalled, I guess it could be a L2 loan. He was getting rave reviews earlier in the season, someone may have made an approach before Grimsby's form dropped off. 

Towler was the 3rd LB Grimsby had used in a few games, they had had a few suspensions , so it may be they are searching for the right mix again. All a bit Lee Johnson ATM, one defeat in 10, 6 defeats in 7 and players in and out of the squad. 
There are 4 games before Jan 1st, we will see where he stands by then. I think you nailed the key sentence Dave. " City can’t commit to him staying at Grimsby at this present time". If they say anything definitely and someone comes in from L1, or we have a crisis etc, they look stupid. They won't commit until everything is decided.

Yeah, no idea for reasons for not playing, but it wouldn’t surprise me if when managers are under pressure for results it is often the youngsters who get left out.  People’s livelihoods and all that!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, JonDolman said:

I see Pring as more of left centre back in our current system. He has the pace, power and technical ability to be the perfect left wing back, but he really doesn't have the stamina to get through the work needed in that position.

I expect we will be in for a left sided player who is suited to playing full back and wing back. We are apparently scouting Guinness Walker who I think looks a very promising player.

I have no idea on Towler. I thought he looked good in 2 games for us, but also very bad in 2 games. Maybe he's brought back as emergency back up and doesn't play, which would be a shame for his development.

But it might be necessary as Baker is out and even when Baker is back he isn't someone we can rely on.

Wasn't Cundy training on grass too ? Another month could put him close to the bench. I don't see Towler coming back to play.

Don't see why missing a couple of games would result in a recall. That's a reality of football, and whilst you want your young players playing you also want them to understand the fight to get back into the team. 

I could understand why we take him back to loan him higher. I am over that way next month so will tempted to drop in if they are there. 

Edited by Rebounder

4 hours ago, JonDolman said:

Yes actually Nige did say that didn't he. I think though the only place for Cundy in our current system is middle of the back 3 so Kalas would have to move to Vyner's position. So that's an option if Vyner gets injured or Pearson wants to drop him. Or maybe he might go back to a back 4.

He’s quite capable on the ball though.

18 minutes ago, JonDolman said:

Yep he can play it out the back but I think he's probably more suited in the middle of the 3 

Same old debate Jon….what role do you want your side CBs to perform?  In our current system, Kalas is the “sweeper” / cover man.  Is that best the use of Cundy?  Does it mean we have to change the construct of the back three to play him centrally?  Or do you want him to mark?

Cundy has played virtually all his EFL football in a back 4….so I’m not sure we know what his best role / position is…and it might depend on who the other two are also.

1 hour ago, Davefevs said:

Same old debate Jon….what role do you want your side CBs to perform?  In our current system, Kalas is the “sweeper” / cover man.  Is that best the use of Cundy?  Does it mean we have to change the construct of the back three to play him centrally?  Or do you want him to mark?

Cundy has played virtually all his EFL football in a back 4….so I’m not sure we know what his best role / position is…and it might depend on who the other two are also.

There’s also the fact that it’s quite likely Cundy will never actually play for City.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Agard Days Night said:

Thanks Dave.

Do you think we’ll ever see Cundy line up for the Reds? Can’t see him becoming a regular at this level. 

Probably not.  Contract up end of this season, having already exercised the option, he’s got to find a way to get game time over the current incumbents.

Would at least like to see him once….FA Cup???

16 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

Probably not.  Contract up end of this season, having already exercised the option, he’s got to find a way to get game time over the current incumbents.

I think he’ll rack up less than 120 minutes of competitive football in total for City before he leaves and finds a League Two club. Happy to be wrong on this one but can’t see it going any other way.

6 minutes ago, Agard Days Night said:

I think he’ll rack up less than 120 minutes of competitive football in total for City before he leaves and finds a League Two club. Happy to be wrong on this one but can’t see it going any other way.

Reckon his stint with Gillingham last season will see some Lg1 interest.  I hate prematurely writing him off because I’ve not seen him in a City shirt.

20 hours ago, Agard Days Night said:

Thanks Dave.

Do you think we’ll ever see Cundy line up for the Reds? Can’t see him becoming a regular at this level. 

17 hours ago, Davefevs said:

Without saying anything about it, I took the impression that Pearson kind of likes Cundy. That may only mean he give him until the end of the season to win a Contract, or just a short term contract to prove fitness. 
It could also mean I don't know what I'm talking about . 

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, JonDolman said:

He played very well in league one last season. Performed better than Tucker did for Gillingham imo.

At his age to be playing well at that level, I would be surprised if he doesn't end up above that level as long as he can stay fit.

The injury is a massive blow as I reckon he would have had his chance by now like maybe against Coventry where Vyner played central in a back 4.

With Baker having a possible longer time out, I wonder if we might see him on the bench in the coming weeks.
Recently we've had Pring and DaSilva, who pretty much cover the same position. Cundy would add cover for CB while it would leave (probably) Pring to cover anywhere down the left side .