IGNORED

Towler

the1stknowle

Good to see him on the pitch at the end getting some love from Matty James etc. I thought his ball retention is something we’ve been missing. He also hit a smashing cross-field ball which didn’t quite make it but encouraging signs for me. I thought the crowd hassled him into playing forward when there weren’t enough options. He’s a kid. Give him time and support! 

• Like 11
  • Flames 2

Nice being a local lad but let’s not take away from the facts.

He’s come back from a loan in the conference where he had been dropped from the side.

He was poor throughout.

He was at fault for both goals 

None of this means he won’t be a good player in the future, he is young and learning his trade, but In no world should he be ahead of Atkinson in a championship league game.

Poor management for me, especially putting him in a 2!

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

32 minutes ago, super slick said:

He’s come back from a loan in the conference where he had been dropped from the side.

He was poor throughout.

None of this means he won’t be a good player in the future, he is young and learning his trade, but In no world should he be ahead of Atkinson in a championship league game.

Steady mate your not allowed to criticise academy players on here 

1 minute ago, Hocca said:

Steady mate your not allowed to criticise academy players on here 

I don’t think that’s the issue tbh. It’s when lunatics condemn them out of hand for one bad game then make shit, uneducated comments like “career in League 2 beckons”. That isn’t criticism, it’s childish.

• Like 10

35 minutes ago, super slick said:

He was poor throughout.

Putting him in the 2 was crazy for me too. As you say, no shame in having a poor game at his age and experience. Think converted midfielder too so has work to do to be a defender. Not 100% convinced he can make it at this level though. 

2 hours ago, super slick said:

He was poor throughout.

No, he wasn’t (imho).  He did several decent things on the ball / in challenges.

Yes, he lost his man for the goal, and got done by a great run from Afobe….after Kalas got caught forward following a poor pass.

But he wasn’t poor throughout (imho).

• Like 17
  • Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

No, he wasn’t (imho).  He did several decent things on the ball / in challenges.

Yes, he lost his man for the goal, and got done by a great run from Afobe….after Kalas got caught forward following a poor pass.

No need for the imho Davros.

Got beaten twice by two good players. Had Max stepped out a second earlier then he'd have been saved on the first, and had a moment of madness on the second, while trying to redeem himself for his earlier 'mistake'.

Fine margins, and easy for those who haven't really played the game to call that a bad performance (imho).

He did very well with his control and distribution of the game. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

12 minutes ago, ZiderEyed said:

No need for the imho Davros.

Got beaten twice by two good players. Had Max stepped out a second earlier then he'd have been saved on the first, and had a moment of madness on the second, while trying to redeem himself for his earlier 'mistake'.

Fine margins, and easy for those who haven't really played the game to call that a bad performance (imho).

He did very well with his control and distribution of the game. 

Exterminate!

• Haha 1

53 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

You think not. Probably at fault got the 5’9” ish bloke scoring the header and dreadful challenge for the pen. He might make it but miles off at the present. 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, aa_bcfc said:

You think not. Probably at fault got the 5’9” ish bloke scoring the header and dreadful challenge for the pen. He might make it but miles off at the present. 

To be fair, that was a fantastic whip by Wallace, it was one of those that, I'd argue, is nigh indefensible.

The same 5"9 bloke who is also in fairly exceptional form if I'm incorrect.

Challenge for the penalty 100% a straight error. Young and Rash.

3 minutes ago, TomThumb84 said:

I worry for the lad.

Mad he is playing Championship football to be honest.

I will defend a Bristol lad to the hilt but Towler is way off.

The Watford (a) shambles last year was a hard watch and the fact he is near the first  team says more about the club than him.

Needs managing carefully.

Have to assume mental strength in the face of evidence to the altenative imo.

Some harsh comments on here. Both Towler and Benarous were pulled at half time for a tactical change. Plus Afobe and Bradshaw is one of the harder pairs of strikers to face in this division. Thought the first goal was a great cross but O’Leary should have come out for it. As for the penalty, Afobe did what Afobe does so well, running into a through ball ahead of the defender. Did Towler need to dive in? Well if he didn’t, Afobe was about to shoot anyway and would likely have scored.

I think Towler has something about him that gives him a chance of making it at this level. He didn’t get done physically, which is something for a 19 year old centre back, he looked comfortable on the ball, and as noted already, he looks like he can play a good long pass. There is plenty there to build on to improve his game further.

• Like 15
  • Thanks 1

6 hours ago, super slick said:

He was poor throughout.

Spot on. 

He may develop into a decent Championship player, and I hope he does, but the idea that he is ready now is preposterous. That’s not his fault.

He’s looked out of his depth in every appearance if we’re honest (the rave reviews at Sheffield United were absurd - he was unbelievably timid in that game). Picking him was ridiculous, especially in a two. It was 9 v 11 in the first half. I’ve rarely seen a player affect a game less than young Ayman. But his future looks bright.

Edited by firstdivision
  • Like 2

4 hours ago, Finley_Smith10 said:

Tbf he should be no where near that starting team considering he’s only just come back from a conference loan in which he wasn’t playing a lot before he was recalled. God knows why NP fancied towler instead of Atkinson today 

He must be carry some injury or fatigue.

7 hours ago, Davefevs said:

He must be carry some injury or fatigue.

Some mention of him still suffering from the effects of covid. His body language when he does come on is quite timid and passive. Whether it's a confidence, or physical thing is up for debate.

Certainly not the player we saw in the first few months of the season anyhow.

I’m not sure what people expect from our academy to be honest. We have to realise that not everyone of them will make it with us and that is just life.

Whilst the academy has improved vastly from where it was 15-20 years ago i still think it is unrealistic for us to expect to bring through 4 or 5 championship players simultaneously through year on year.

We have had an excellent past few seasons in bringing through Reid, Kelly and Bryan and the next homegrown batch in Pring , Benarous , O’leary and Towler (who IMO needs a couple more loans at a higher level) all look like they have huge potential. Add the likes of Scott and Semenyo who whilst haven’t been with us through all the age groups but were all brought in for little to no fee’s at academy level then the future is bright IMO.

Edited by bris red
  • Like 1