IGNORED

Towler

the1stknowle

5 hours ago, The Horse With No Name said:

I know this is a Towler thread, but its a tad unfair he is getting all the negative comments about not being ready, but is the same criticism being chucked at Benarous , because I absolutely dont see anything there to suggest he is even close to being ready.

Hes better out wide than in midfield in my opinion

2 hours ago, Numero Uno said:

What he does is think of ideas that seem to make sense and differ from what the Manager is currently doing and then make them vague enough so that when his view turns out to be complete and utter bollocks he can counter with "I didn't suggest that".

As we all know the issue with youngsters who have the ability is that one week they are a world beater the next a panel beater. You get the odd special talent that quickly overcomes the inconsistency phase and starts to look a cut above........we all know who that is. It's been that way since the beginning of time. You also get the odd kid who totally rips up the rule book like Rooney who was doing it in the Prem at just 16 and people use the likes of him to mistakenly think "if you're good enough you're old enough" without realising what a monster of a kid you really have to be to do it at that level at that age.

This is very true Ian comes up with rediculous suggestions about playing square pegs  in round holeš then when it doesnt work retracts that he suggested it i think there is a player there in Towler just a gamble playing at the moment against burly big strikers .

• Thanks 1

44 minutes ago, RobintheRed Red said:

This is very true Ian comes up with rediculous suggestions about playing square pegs  in round holeš then when it doesnt work retracts that he suggested it i think there is a player there in Towler just a gamble playing at the moment against burly big strikers .

He’s 19, he’s not a terrific athlete in the Lloyd Kelly mould, so I’m not expecting great things from him at this stage.  I think he needs another 12-18 months developing physically, and let’s not forget, 24 months ago he was a nice ball-playing central midfielder.  He needs to tune his defensive instincts, he will have spent 10 years of football having defenders behind him and not being last man.

Nige has selected him, so it is right we judge the performance, and criticise the mistakes, but we should not be writing him off at 19.  He’s got 6-7 years to go before he reaches his peak years.  You don’t see many 19 year old CBs at Championship level.

Here’s a list of the youngest (red those who’ve played substantial minutes.

Bar Colwill (Huddersfield - on loan from Chelsea), they are all at struggling teams!  Bernard (Barnsley) is on loan from Man Utd

DA07340C-FB88-479D-9A54-AAF67B01B1D6.thumb.jpeg.5606d366831496ac0b9c9de420fd7f5a.jpeg

• Like 1

Honestly, I don't think  he looked to be struggling with the physicality of the game. I certainly didn`t see him being bullied. The way I saw it, he made a couple of poor errors of judgment due to inexperience when left exposed by mistakes from more experienced teammates. Up until the first goal, I'd been pleasantly surprised at how well he was playing. Personally, I don't think he's that far off. 

• Like 10

We have a number of very promising young players who will make some mistakes as they go. If you never make mistakes, you never make decisions and if you don't make decisions, you never learn anything or make mistakes.

The difficulty of making the right decision is highlighted by the first Millwall goal. Max and Towler had approx 1.5 seconds to judge how fast the ball was travelling, it's exact direction and could they position themselves to stop the goal.

So for Pearson to keep the young players as much as he is, shows how he believes in them. Subbing them off is not punishment. It is taking care of them as any good manager will do. He must trust them or he would not play them. At least he is playing them. Not like his predecessor who had a gem in Lloyd Kelly and brought in another left back rather than playing him!

We are in a reasonable league position, even with mistakes from the young ones so let them learn and improve to benefit City rather than flogging them off to another club.

Edited by cidered abroad
  • Like 5

6 hours ago, Davefevs said:

He’s 19, he’s not a terrific athlete in the Lloyd Kelly mould, so I’m not expecting great things from him at this stage.  I think he needs another 12-18 months developing physically, and let’s not forget, 24 months ago he was a nice ball-playing central midfielder.  He needs to tune his defensive instincts, he will have spent 10 years of football having defenders behind him and not being last man.

Nige has selected him, so it is right we judge the performance, and criticise the mistakes, but we should not be writing him off at 19.  He’s got 6-7 years to go before he reaches his peak years.  You don’t see many 19 year old CBs at Championship level.

Here’s a list of the youngest (red those who’ve played substantial minutes.

Bar Colwill (Huddersfield - on loan from Chelsea), they are all at struggling teams!  Bernard (Barnsley) is on loan from Man Utd

DA07340C-FB88-479D-9A54-AAF67B01B1D6.thumb.jpeg.5606d366831496ac0b9c9de420fd7f5a.jpeg

Yes not disagreeing like I said there is a talent there  just needs to beef up at centre back .

• Like 2

FFS - the lad is just a kid - he wasn't especially bad, but plays in a position where a screw-up gets noticed.

You could blame Max for the first equally - and I'm sure Afobe would have made far more experienced defenders than Towler make a rash challenge.

If NP thinks he can play at this level, and Atkinson is still unfit - then he plays next week.

It's up to Towler how he establishes himself - he will either suck this up and come out with a point to prove to his doubters, OR bottle everything and sink into obscurity.

I think it will be the former, and it would not surprise to see him have a long and successful career.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

On 04/01/2022 at 10:28, Davefevs said:

Yet the all-knowing Ian Gay, critical of his selection on Saturday, was a big advocate of him playing last season?  He’s 6’2” and likes a tackle.  So why was he happy last season to select a less experienced, less physically developed player but not now?

Because some peoples opinions are not based on fact and thus the person cannot remember what their view was last week let alone a few months ago.

My father taught me that I should always speak the truth as I see it, as it is almost impossible to remember what you said at a later date. It might not be a correct view according to others  but at least one is consistent.

• Like 1

I think the most important thing we should be looking at regarding towler, Benarous, Scott, pring et al is they either good enough or on the border of being good enough to play championship football. That in itself is massive that our academy has been able to produce youngsters with enough ability to compete in the championship. The other massive benefit is they have cost next to nothing and are on low wages so moving forward, if we can get rid of the highly paid and underused older players, our books will look much healthier in years to come and we will be looking at a very young but experienced and competitive team For the years ahead.

we just have to drag ourselves out of the shit that is the present

• Like 2
  • Flames 1

On 04/01/2022 at 13:08, Numero Uno said:

Think that's a harsh call tbh. Did you think that Alex Scott was YEARS AWAY when Pearson dragged him off after 25 minutes of one game earlier in the season?

Also, pring is how old now?? 24? Being able to compete in the championship at towlers age is extremely difficult,, i think technically hes good enough but in terms of concentration and experience he needs lots of games to build up to it,,, he might have a similar pathway to pring to get there,  but im fairly comfortable that he will be a good player for us in the years to come

On 04/01/2022 at 17:12, Colemanballs said:

Honestly, I don't think  he looked to be struggling with the physicality of the game. I certainly didn`t see him being bullied. The way I saw it, he made a couple of poor errors of judgment due to inexperience when left exposed by mistakes from more experienced teammates. Up until the first goal, I'd been pleasantly surprised at how well he was playing. Personally, I don't think he's that far off. 

I agree, the two goals you can blame on him and there were 3/4 times where he was hesitant to drive with the ball and give it forward but apart from that I really don’t remember much else wrong from him.

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, Hampshire reds said:

would be better if he stayed the whole season at Grimsby. not championship standard just yet. 

As a Devil’s advocate response, did Benarous look ready when he came on v Barnsley?  But then he played a decent role in a couple of next few games.  So, we should judge Ryley across a few more viewings.  He might not be ready, but sometimes Nige is gonna have to pick players we think aren’t ready…but they are only gonna learn from their experiences.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Flames 1

22 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

As a Devil’s advocate response, did Benarous look ready when he came on v Barnsley?  But then he played a decent role in a couple of next few games.  So, we should judge Ryley across a few more viewings.  He might not be ready, but sometimes Nige is gonna have to pick players we think aren’t ready…but they are only gonna learn from their experiences.

His first Championship game of the season after playing in non-league, he looked rusty and not up to the pace of the game.

= not surprising.

Will take at least another couple of games to get up to speed.

Has been brought back to play and fill in for Baker I think, so hopefully he gets 90 minutes on Saturday.

37 minutes ago, VT05763 said:

His first Championship game of the season after playing in non-league, he looked rusty and not up to the pace of the game.

= not surprising.

Has been brought back to play and fill in for Baker I think, so hopefully he gets 90 minutes on Saturday.

Cup-tied

17 hours ago, VT05763 said:

= not surprising.

I disagree that he looked “rusty”. 
He’s perfectly fit and has played plenty of minutes this season. He’s on it and sharp. 
The majority of his performance was good. His passing was assured, he was composed on the ball, he timed his tackles well. 
All he did was make 3 mistakes where he didn’t track the runner. This wasn’t because he was rusty, it was purely because he was in the wrong body position (square on rather than half turn), when the striker made the runs. 
I wouldn’t say it’s a case of rustiness. It’s just a case of a lack of experience against a much more experienced and clever striker. 
It’s a learning experience, no doubt, and I’d be absolutely certain that Pearson and the coaches will have worked on that aspect this week. 
The rest of his game was absolutely fine. 

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

31 minutes ago, Harry said:

I disagree that he looked “rusty”. 
He’s perfectly fit and has played plenty of minutes this season. He’s on it and sharp. 
The majority of his performance was good. His passing was assured, he was composed on the ball, he timed his tackles well. 
All he did was make 3 mistakes where he didn’t track the runner. This wasn’t because he was rusty, it was purely because he was in the wrong body position (square on rather than half turn), when the striker made the runs. 
I wouldn’t say it’s a case of rustiness. It’s just a case of a lack of experience against a much more experienced and clever striker. 
It’s a learning experience, no doubt, and I’d be absolutely certain that Pearson and the coaches will have worked on that aspect this week. 
The rest of his game was absolutely fine. 

Agree to disagree.