IGNORED

And now for something completely different ...

headhunter

up front!!

Weimann & Martin upfront isn't working is it, even though Nige plays them week in week out. Both need a rest having featured in every league game this season.

Neither were prolific scorers in their prime and both are past their best.

Weimann has scored 4 goals but that was two braces so apart from that he's scoreless in 12 games. He's top of the assists chart here with 2, both against QPR and whilst the pass to Wells for the winner was sublime, the real credit for Martin's goal was HNM's surging run. Supporters defend AW by saying he runs around a lot but that's just not enough - would you associate him with the term controlled possession? The ball always seems to be running away from him, it doesn't stick - compare him to Grabban the other week. Foot on the ball, look up pass.

Based on players currently available I would pick this against the Tykes on Saturday in a 4-4-1-1 [I'm no fan of O'Dowda but he fits in this set up and Pring offers more physicality on that left side than Dasilva; time for Vyner to come off the naughty step as IMHO he's more energetic than Bakinson]:

Bentley / Tanner, Kalas, Atkinson, Pring / Vyner, Massengo, James, O'Dowda / Scott / Wells.

After 70 minutes you could swap Scott & Wells with Weimann & Palmer

As an aside, take a look at these stats from the BBC website, it ain't pretty https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/championship/top-scorers

• Like 2
  • Confused 1

13 minutes ago, headhunter said:

Neither were prolific scorers in their prime

Of the 3 (Martin/Wells/Weimann) Martin was the most prolific at this level in his prime

both are past their best

Weimann is the youngest of the three

14 minutes ago, headhunter said:

Wells

Conclusion: Start Wells!

Not saying I disagree, just being awkward ;) In fact I'd probably do the same, but with Weimann behind him.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, myol'man said:

Shuffling the deck chairs on the Titanic?

Clinging on to the lifeboat until January me thinks ?

Haha, good analogy!  In many respects it’s true.  The squad has not been assembled with a plan in mind, so Nige is trying to find a way of playing that clicks.  I think he had it early season, but has deviated away from it a bit.  It wasn’t exciting, but it was methodical, structured, disciplined.  From Luton onwards we’ve conceded too many chances in most matches (bar Millwall).

I don’t think a back 3 suits us.

Back in the summer I wrote about England going to a back three, and suggested that the only reason we were going with a three is because our CBs aren’t good enough and Southgate thinks playing 3 bad ones is better than 2 bad ones….whereas all it did (in my amateur analysis) was mean you have one less player in front of them providing protection….so they end up more exposed.

In City’s case Kalas, Atkinson and Baker are three of our better performers (unlike England), but I don’t think any of them suit a 3.  Kalas has always played in a 4 for Fulham, Boro, Czech Republic.  Atkinson partnered Elliott Moore in a typical back 4 for Oxford, and Baker has played the majority of his career in a 4 too. In fact it was him leading Flint in 15/16 as LJ went to a back 4 that many of us thought Flint would struggle in.  I think it’s been made worse by playing Atkinson and Baker the wrong way around (imho), certainly from a playing out from the back.  I’d add to this further that I don’t think either of them suit being the spare man….both like to mark and attack the ball.  Kalas is the only one who is comfy being spare….and there lies another issue with a back 3.

So, start with a back 4 and build out the other 6 from there.  Nige himself says he doesn’t really want to play a back 3….so don’t!

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Noooo - ffs let's try something different. I recall reading Scott ran further than anyone against Forest and that was just in 65 minutes. 

Yeah that's fair. I think part of me just wants to make sure we protect our bright youngsters - I'm really excited by Scott but also think he's looked pretty lost/overwhelmed in a couple of games.

If we go behind against a "must win" v Barnsley it could get pretty rough, that's all that's in my mind really.

I'd be more excited taking my seat on Saturday if it was Scott behind Wells that's for sure. On reflection I think I'd probably play:

Bentley

Tanner / Kalas / Atkinson / Pring

Massengo / James

Weimann / Scott / O'Dowda

Wells

I'm also not a fan of O'Dowda but he fits as you said above. I'd be happy with Dasilva for Pring too, I really rate Jay - don't know enough about Barnsley to make a decision there as that's what it'd probably come down to for me. I'd love to see Massengo in Scott's position really, but I'm not that happy with anyone else to partner James with Williams out.

Edited by IAmNick
  • Like 2

39 minutes ago, IAmNick said:

Bentley

Tanner / Kalas / Atkinson / Pring

Massengo / James

Weimann / Scott / O'Dowda

Wells

I'm also not a fan of O'Dowda but he fits as you said above. I'd be happy with Dasilva for Pring too, I really rate Jay - don't know enough about Barnsley to make a decision there as that's what it'd probably come down to for me. I'd love to see Massengo in Scott's position really, but I'm not that happy with anyone else to partner James with Williams out.

Your midfield 2 will get overrun - you need Vyner to provide break up opposition play. 

If fit Williams, Massengo, James & O'Dowda looks a good midfield combo with Scott [Palmer] / Wells [Weimann] in front.

Dasilva & O'Dowda is weak physically

That is a strong Weimann obsession that the OP consistently has. As soon as we lose he is on his case.

One of our best 11 players, AW would always be in my side.

Can see an argument for a Wells/Weimann pairing but expect Nige to stick with Martin & Wells (& play Weimann in midfield).

Loving the obligatory “give Palmer another go” mention, too ?

Edited by GrahamC
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, headhunter said:

up front!!

Weimann & Martin upfront isn't working is it, even though Nige plays them week in week out. Both need a rest having featured in every league game this season.

Neither were prolific scorers in their prime and both are past their best.

Weimann has scored 4 goals but that was two braces so apart from that he's scoreless in 12 games. He's top of the assists chart here with 2, both against QPR and whilst the pass to Wells for the winner was sublime, the real credit for Martin's goal was HNM's surging run. Supporters defend AW by saying he runs around a lot but that's just not enough - would you associate him with the term controlled possession? The ball always seems to be running away from him, it doesn't stick - compare him to Grabban the other week. Foot on the ball, look up pass.

Based on players currently available I would pick this against the Tykes on Saturday in a 4-4-1-1 [I'm no fan of O'Dowda but he fits in this set up and Pring offers more physicality on that left side than Dasilva; time for Vyner to come off the naughty step as IMHO he's more energetic than Bakinson]:

Bentley / Tanner, Kalas, Atkinson, Pring / Vyner, Massengo, James, O'Dowda / Scott / Wells.

After 70 minutes you could swap Scott & Wells with Weimann & Palmer

As an aside, take a look at these stats from the BBC website, it ain't pretty https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/championship/top-scorers

Vyner right midfield? Can’t see how he would be good there really. 

Saturday is more about players being positive and playing with confidence than it is about personnel and formations though 

• Like 4

2 hours ago, Davefevs said:

Nige is trying to find a way of playing that clicks.  I think he had it early season, but has deviated away from it a bit.

Early season it seemed to be , Weimann off of or along side of Martin. That did seem to work to a degree. Last few games we've tried to use Nige's favoured  3 up front , or trying to squeeze players in, bit like the back 3 because they are 3 of the better players.

My Option 1

Wells has to play through  the middle. Baker's injury gives the option of the 4 at the back. 

Williams & Semenyo probably not available. Options for change are limited.

My Option 1
I would either play Vyner as a proper DMF shield , James & HNM with a little more licence . COD & Weimann pushing wide and Wells on his own to run channels. 

My Option 2
JD LMF, James & HNM central, COD RMF and Weimann and wells strikers.

I doubt NP sees it this way though.

Any team I think about has to have Nhaki in a central role. He's mobile, and for all his faults, a finisher.

2 hours ago, IAmNick said:

In fact I'd probably do the same, but with Weimann behind him.

Hasn't Weimann scored all his goals playing off of Martin, seemed to dry up when he started moving around.

Edited by 1960maaan
  • Like 1

39 minutes ago, The Dolman Pragmatist said:

Apart from the three tap-ins he missed against Bournemouth…

I can remember the one where COD smashed a ball slightly behind Wells, and the one where he slid in 2nd half. Neither one was a tap in.

I'm not saying he's top quality, but of everyone at the club at the moment, if you get a chance you want it to fall to Wells.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, GrahamC said:

That is a strong Weimann obsession that the OP consistently has. As soon as we lose he is on his case.

Can see an argument for a Wells/Weimann pairing but expect Nige to stick with Martin & Wells (& play Weimann in midfield).

If Weimann has to be in the starting 11 it cannot be in midfield. He simply is not a good enough ball player to be in there. I get his attributes and why his energy/intelligent running are crucial to a team. He is the sort if player who looks best when he does things instinctively and in midfield he has potentially too many options and doesn’t do the simple thing well enough for me.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, GTFABM said:

If Weimann has to be in the starting 11 it cannot be in midfield. He simply is not a good enough ball player to be in there. I get his attributes and why his energy/intelligent running are crucial to a team. He is the sort if player who looks best when he does things instinctively and in midfield he has potentially too many options and doesn’t do the simple thing well enough for me.

No argument from me, but I don’t pick the team!

Tinkering with formations not the way forward IMO. Ignoring the personnel, play the back 4 higher up the pitch. Plenty of pace at the back with Kalas (& Baker). Would make a difference to our exposed midfield and may even play more of the game in the opponent’s half.

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, Beni71 said:

Tinkering with formations not the way forward IMO. Ignoring the personnel, play the back 4 higher up the pitch. Plenty of pace at the back with Kalas (& Baker). Would make a difference to our exposed midfield and may even play more of the game in the opponent’s half.

First time I have ever seen Baker & pace in the same sentence without the words “lack of”.

Highly unlikely to be available anyway due to concussion protocols.

10 hours ago, GrahamC said:

First time I have ever seen Baker & pace in the same sentence without the words “lack of”.

Highly unlikely to be available anyway due to concussion protocols.

I should qualify my words. His recovery is good (Fulham/Cardiff are good examples). 

14 minutes ago, walnutroof said:

For something completely different we could try putting O’Dowda in a midfield 3 to hopefully provide a little pace whilst having James there to cover for him 

As the OP I had him in a midfield 4 to add pace and width: Bentley / Tanner, Kalas, Atkinson, Pring / Vyner, Massengo, James, O'Dowda / Scott / Wells

On 27/10/2021 at 11:48, GrahamC said:

Strange with Palmer, seems a bit more prepared to work but if killer ball seems to have gone