IGNORED

Josh Cavallo - Gay

Fordy62

Totally agree, good for him.

I have no idea whether this would lead to anyone doing so in England, the idea of several players all coming out at once to minimise press intrusion certainly makes some sense, but seeing as we all work alongside gay colleagues or have relatives who are (or both), then it seems odd we are living in a world where that cannot seemingly happen.

Incidentally Somerset cricketer Steven Davies did so a number of years ago & that was dealt with in entirely the way you would hope, to the extent it is never even mentioned nowadays.

7 minutes ago, Fordy62 said:

Adelaide United player Josh Cavallo has come out as gay. 

So many of you will say that it’s not a big deal. But given he’s the first pro footballer to come out as gay, it is a big deal. 

I see he’s been retweeted by Gerard Pique. I wonder which of our Premier League stars will give their backing too… I fear there won’t be many. 

Well done Josh, massively brave. Fair play. Sad it should be this way. 

https://twitter.com/JoshuaCavallo/status/1453172151914168320?s=20

Fair play to him. Its sad in this day and age that this is still big news, but hopefully it's the start of better things to come. 

However I do disagree with one part of your post, I do believe loads of Premier league players will back this and publicise this. Its been all over talksport this morning, so I'd imagine more and more will get on board with it. 

I've seen and noticed football has changed for the better over the last 15 years, it certainly isn't the beast it once was, where this sort of thing would've been met with vitriol and hate. There's always the risk of some drunken idiot showing their true colours, but you could get that anywhere sadly, but you'd like to think they'd be called out for it and thrown out if that's the case. 

Fair play to him and I'm sure others will now follow suit. Someone's sexual preference really shouldn't bother anyone, at all. 

Edited by Akira

4 minutes ago, LoyalRed said:

Really can't see why it matters, I have absolutely no interest in any footballers sexual preference.  

Good. The way it should be.  

Unfortunately homophobia is still out there and there are plenty of people that don’t see homosexuality as ‘normal’.  The more people in the public eye that are ‘out’ the better. Especially if breaking new ground aka professional football 

Edited by And Its Smith
  • Like 1

49 minutes ago, Fordy62 said:

Adelaide United player Josh Cavallo has come out as gay. 

So many of you will say that it’s not a big deal. But given he’s the first pro footballer to come out as gay, it is a big deal. 

I see he’s been retweeted by Gerard Pique. I wonder which of our Premier League stars will give their backing too… I fear there won’t be many. 

Well done Josh, massively brave. Fair play. Sad it should be this way. 

https://twitter.com/JoshuaCavallo/status/1453172151914168320?s=20

It's a big deal in pro football because its rare,

It really shouldn't be a big deal as someone sexuality is no one business except the individual and their partner,

Sadly that's not the world we live in,

Hopefully this will put a long held taboo to bed and we may see more players come out and hopefully the reaction will be positive but sadly I doubt it, in a age where we still see racist chanting 

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, LoyalRed said:

Really can't see why it matters, I have absolutely no interest in any footballers sexual preference.  

I agree, but it's important to those players as they can be true to themselves and not have to hide anything/deal with scrutiny around their private lives as to why they aren't married etc. That scrutiny shouldn't be there, but it is. Should hopefully help reduce the casual homophobia in football (and society) as well.

Fair play to the guy, must take some serious bottle to "come out".

• Like 1

The fact that I first encountered this story here rather than the local press (there is literally nothing that's immediately visible on the news) is probably indicative of two things. Broadly speaking Australian's…

1. …aren't really too fussed if you're gay or not
2. …don't really care about domestic football

That's not to say Australian's are perfect, or to deny any hostility exists, they just don't get as hung up on sexuality as most other nationalities.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

16 minutes ago, SydneyCity said:

The fact that I first encountered this story here rather than the local press (there is literally nothing that's immediately visible on the news) is probably indicative of two things. Broadly speaking Australian's…

1. …aren't really too fussed if you're gay or not
2. …don't really care about domestic football

That's not to say Australian's are perfect, or to deny any hostility exists, they just don't get as hung up on sexuality as most other nationalities.

https://amp.theguardian.com/australia-news/2021/jun/08/almost-all-australian-lgbtq-high-school-students-hear-homophobic-language-at-school-study-finds

From that, it seems that there is a lot of hang up In Oz on sexuality

12 minutes ago, And Its Smith said:

The sad thing is it’s the same in the uk.

Theres a gay guy where I work and even the directors take the piss behind his back. 

2 minutes ago, Wiltshire robin said:

The sad thing is it’s the same in the uk.

Theres a gay guy where I work and even the directors take the piss behind his back. 

Yep absolutely. Same in my workplace. 

I think Sydney Red saying that it’s not being reported over there because there’s no hang up is wrong. The opposite is probably true.  

My own mother said that two men shouldn’t be dancing on Strictly as it ‘normalises’  homosexuality.  Exactly what it is trying to achieve. 

I really hope more or even all gay footballers come out off the back of this. They probably wont but I think they would be surprised at the amount of support and understanding they would get from their club, fellow pros and supporters these days and of course their family and friends if they didn't already know.

It doesn't seem to be an issue at all in the ladies game. Plenty are openly gay and even in relationships with one another.

Sad reflection of society unfortunately.

56 minutes ago, KegCity said:

I agree, but it's important to those players as they can be true to themselves and not have to hide anything/deal with scrutiny around their private lives as to why they aren't married etc. That scrutiny shouldn't be there, but it is. Should hopefully help reduce the casual homophobia in football (and society) as well.

Fair play to the guy, must take some serious bottle to "come out".

Couldn't have put it better myself. Anyone that thinks this isn't a big issue is clearly missing the point and not able to empathise with this lads situation.

2 hours ago, Port Said Red said:

It is, but the idea that he has to "come out" is the saddest thing, it shouldn't matter what his sexuality is in a normal society.

It is sad, but until people come out it will remain taboo, and so long as it remains taboo there will be the negative attitudes that hold society back.

Just now, cidered abroad said:

Do we really need to know about anyone's sexual, religious, food, ethnicity, etc preferences? 

As long as they do their job to the best of their ability, obey laws ofthe country, be a decent person in relation to others, why do we need this information.

We don't need to know but they need to be able to freely and comfortably talk about it.

A lot of it is just the little things, such as if someone wants to talk about what they got up to at the weekend. Usually you'd say "I went to x with my wife" or "I saw such-and-such with my boyfriend". Way harder if you feel the need to hide their gender. 

• Like 2

Around 15 years ago, I posted a thread before a game with Brighton urging our fans to refrain from homophobic chanting towards their fans and players. From my memory, the majority of the responses were hostile, calling me a snowflake and that it was just “banter”… One or two people even said that homosexuals deserved to be the target of abuse. It’s amazing how we’ve progressed in such a short space of time and that unanimously on this thread, people would have no issues with a gay player at the City and encourage them to speak out and feel comfortable.

Edited by Wanderingred
  • Like 2

2 minutes ago, cidered abroad said:

Do we really need to know about anyone's sexual, religious, food, ethnicity, etc preferences? 

As long as they do their job to the best of their ability, obey laws ofthe country, be a decent person in relation to others, why do we need this information.

In the context of an equal society no we don't.

In the context of our society whereby footballers feel they have to hide their homosexuality because of perceived consequences, it really could help.

• Like 2
  • Flames 1

3 minutes ago, cidered abroad said:

If you read above on this thread you should find your questions have already been answered 

1 minute ago, Davefevs said:

Does the term “come out” really help here?  Seems a crass, outdated term.

Good question. I wonder if it’s been wholly embraced by the gay community and they’ve made it theirs, a little bit like the word “queer”.

I don’t know the answer to this by the way, but just a thought. 

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

Does the term “come out” really help here?  Seems a crass, outdated term.

Therein lays the whole problem for me Dave. It shouldn't be a thing but society deems it to be. Therefore it has to be an 'event' regardless of the term used.

• Like 1