IGNORED

SURPRISE SELECTIONS?

ooRya

Back on topic I doubt the squad will be all that different from the last few games, aside from the fact that Baker is out.

If fit & healthy Bentley & O’Leary, Tanner, Simpson, Pring, Dasilva, Kalas & Atkinson will all be in it. So will James, HNM, O’Dowda & Scott, so will Martin, Wells & Weimann. That takes us up to 15, in all probability Bakinson will, so if Bell is also involved again then that only leaves one spot. With one of Vyner, Palmer or Janneh the likeliest to step in & either Sam Pearson or Benarous a possible wildcard. 

I’ll be very surprised to see a squad on Saturday with more than one of Janneh, Benarous or Pearson involved.

Edited by GrahamC
  • Like 4

9 minutes ago, VT05763 said:

No names, like this week a subtle "some are not with us" etc etc. Nothing wrong with that and actually honest and clear to all.

BUT you must follow through with threats like that and several times last season he did not. Admittedly injuries were worse and choice perceived to be less, which is even more reason not to make "empty threats". - IMO.

If fans don't like the manager it's called throwing under the bus. If they like him it's called being honest.

• Like 3

46 minutes ago, maxjak said:

Dare I say ..........considering our belt tightening financially........    King and Simpson's recruitment seems to echo looking after your old mates, and does not reflect very well on Nige's use of the available budget?   Both are well past their best, and IMHO a waste of valuable resources.....that could have been used to pay for an absolutely essential extra striker?  Nige keeps reiterating that he does not see the point in recruiting players that are not an improvement on what is already here, and yet signs these two "has beens"??

At a guess, King and Simpson are on £5-6k p.w. each.  We don’t get a striker of the calibre needed for free and on £10-12k p.w.  Both are one year deals too.

I don’t think either are has-beens, but that’s about opinion.  As it stands Simpson is getting picked over Vyner.  I’d really like to know what’s happened to Zak?

43 minutes ago, JamesBCFC said:

Dylan Kadji is highly rated I believe. 

Not sure we're likely to see him around the first time yet though.

Looks useful….but miles off 1st team imho.  When players like Britton aren’t part of the first team training squad, players like Kadji have got some work to do.  Players like Sam Pearson haven’t had a look-in this season.  We have to be careful banding names around from the u23s.  The reasons why the likes of Bell, Conway (when fit), Scott are up with the first team is because they are at a level above the ones who played the other day for the 23s, with the exception of Britton, who is trying to get fit enough to be park of it.

38 minutes ago, DaveF said:

I don't remember him throwing anyone under the bus, I may have missed it though.

Nor me.  If anything he was quite protective of players, e.g. both Hunt and Lansbury after poor games were given the “they’re playing with injuries” reason.  Last week with Tanner it was a reasonable explanation.

33 minutes ago, VT05763 said:

No names, like this week a subtle "some are not with us" etc etc. Nothing wrong with that and actually honest and clear to all.

BUT you must follow through with threats like that and several times last season he did not. Admittedly injuries were worse and choice perceived to be less, which is even more reason not to make "empty threats". - IMO.

Maybe the some are not with us we’re in fact the two coaches? ??‍♂️ They certainly aren’t anymore!

Last season he had little choice, until finally picking the kids.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, JamesBCFC said:

Dylan Kadji is highly rated I believe. 

Not sure we're likely to see him around the first time yet though.

James, I have seen 3 or 4 U23 games this season and Dylan has some lovely touches, but if people think Tyreeq is too laid back they would change their mind very quickly if they saw them on the pitch together.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

We have to be careful banding names around from the u23s.  The reasons why the likes of Bell, Conway (when fit), Scott are up with the first team is because they are at a level above the ones who played the other day for the 23s, with the exception of Britton, who is trying to get fit enough to be park of it.

Understand that Dave, was just responding to someone asking who other young prospects might be.

1 minute ago, Port Said Red said:

James, I have seen 3 or 4 U23 games this season and Dylan has some lovely touches, but if people think Tyreeq is too laid back they would change their mind very quickly if they saw them on the pitch together.

I'm going to try and catch a few more. Almost every time they've had a game there's been something else that took priority for me. I'm just aware he's rated fairly highly.

12 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

At a guess, King and Simpson are on £5-6k p.w. each.  We don’t get a striker of the calibre needed for free and on £10-12k p.w.  Both are one year deals too.

I don’t think either are has-beens, but that’s about opinion.  As it stands Simpson is getting picked over Vyner.  I’d really like to know what’s happened to Zak?

Looks useful….but miles off 1st team imho.  When players like Britton aren’t part of the first team training squad, players like Kadji have got some work to do.  Players like Sam Pearson haven’t had a look-in this season.  We have to be careful banding names around from the u23s.  The reasons why the likes of Bell, Conway (when fit), Scott are up with the first team is because they are at a level above the ones who played the other day for the 23s, with the exception of Britton, who is trying to get fit enough to be park of it.

Nor me.  If anything he was quite protective of players, e.g. both Hunt and Lansbury after poor games were given the “they’re playing with injuries” reason.  Last week with Tanner it was a reasonable explanation.

Maybe the some are not with us we’re in fact the two coaches? ??‍♂️ They certainly aren’t anymore!

That's my point on "empty threats"

1 minute ago, VT05763 said:

That's my point on "empty threats"

Depends what the threat was?  Your place in the team?  A new contract?  On the first he acted eventually, the second he acted as per threat.

But we aren’t party to it are we?

1 minute ago, Davefevs said:

Depends what the threat was?  Your place in the team?  A new contract?  On the first he acted eventually, the second he acted as per threat.

But we aren’t party to it are we?

Fair enough you may well be right on the contract front

but on team selection there were what ended up to be empty threats.

1 hour ago, SuperRed said:

Would like to see Janneh on the bench at least as we are in desperate need of some pace. 

It's a given that I don't have a great track record of spotting a player ....

That said,
I'm not seeing what's needed with Janneh just yet. Has a bit of pace, but control and touch has looked off when I've seen him. Wells gets murdered for a poor touch, wonder if Janneh would be afforded more time. 
I look forward to Conway getting fit. May not have that real pace, but touch and movement is really good. 
Not sure about Britton, drifts a bit. Hasn't got pace, seems a little like Martin when running in behind, can't quite shake the defender. But give him a chance and nearly everything hits the target. 

Will be interesting to see which, if any of these really make it.

2 hours ago, pongo88 said:

I agree that Nigel is unclear about his best line up, but I don’t think it’s his fault.  There are players who have been given chances but haven’t taken them - eg Bakinson, Palmer and Vyner. Then there are those that who could play but are injured. So who has he got left to bring into the team?  I’ll answer that myself, some of the academy players, hence his comments today. This season is just going to be about hanging on 

I am not surprised he doesn't know his best team. Most players are blowing hot and cold, great one week OK the next. It seems whoever he piks he has no idea how individually they will perform

39 minutes ago, 1960maaan said:

It's a given that I don't have a great track record of spotting a player ....

That said,
I'm not seeing what's needed with Janneh just yet. Has a bit of pace, but control and touch has looked off when I've seen him. Wells gets murdered for a poor touch, wonder if Janneh would be afforded more time. 
I look forward to Conway getting fit. May not have that real pace, but touch and movement is really good. 
Not sure about Britton, drifts a bit. Hasn't got pace, seems a little like Martin when running in behind, can't quite shake the defender. But give him a chance and nearly everything hits the target. 

Will be interesting to see which, if any of these really make it.

He may not be ready / good enough but we will not know until he plays and he couldn’t make us any less of a threat! He will hopefully have the fearlessness to run at people and make things happen. Martin currently looks like a centre backs dream so I think we need to try something different. Maybe Wells and Weimann to start up front with Janneh or Bell off the bench. 

6 minutes ago, Fordy62 said:

Just putting it out there… I’m still well behind Nige if we lose tomorrow. We backed unproven managers to the hilt, it’s time to afford the same treatment to Nige. 

Absolutely. Bristol Live posted an article few days ago saying that fans are starting to turn and Saturdays game is ‘do or die’.

Im still enjoying this season far more than the last couple, albeit starting from a very low base!

• Like 4
  • Hmmm 1
  • Robin 1

51 minutes ago, Fordy62 said:

Just putting it out there… I’m still well behind Nige if we lose tomorrow. We backed unproven managers to the hilt, it’s time to afford the same treatment to Nige. 

I think for me it will be a turning point. If we can't beat a struggling team who are statistically the worst in this league then I can't see us ever winning at home. I can't begin to imagine the reaction if we concede late to lose or draw. 

50 minutes ago, Henry said:

Absolutely. Bristol Live posted an article few days ago saying that fans are starting to turn and Saturdays game is ‘do or die’.

Im still enjoying this season far more than the last couple, albeit starting from a very low base!

What are you enjoying about it? We are truly terrible to watch and barely have any attempts on goal. It's pretty depressing.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, SuperRed said:

He may not be ready / good enough but we will not know until he plays and he couldn’t make us any less of a threat! He will hopefully have the fearlessness to run at people and make things happen. Martin currently looks like a centre backs dream so I think we need to try something different. Maybe Wells and Weimann to start up front with Janneh or Bell off the bench. 

I'm with you on Wells & Weimann. Hopefully have the game won with 30 to go and give the kids a run ?

1 hour ago, Fordy62 said:

I've wanted "Nige" sacked for a long time now.  It amazes me how people keep finding positives to praise Nige despite all the evidence. (But of course Covid, no money blah blah blah)

But the highlighted bit interests me.  Who have we backed "to the hilt" recently?  Who has had 16, 17 (I forget to be honest) home games without a win who we have backed? 

(But Covid, no money, awful squad blah blah blah)

9 minutes ago, Chivs said:

I've wanted "Nige" sacked for a long time now.  It amazes me how people keep finding positives to praise Nige despite all the evidence. (But of course Covid, no money blah blah blah)

But the highlighted bit interests me.  Who have we backed "to the hilt" recently?  Who has had 16, 17 (I forget to be honest) home games without a win who we have backed? 

(But Covid, no money, awful squad blah blah blah)

Obviously referring to LJ and his two dreadful runs. 

• Like 2

5 hours ago, footie said:

Think i'd like to see something a bit like this for Barnsley, enough pace and creativity in a bit of a wide diamond formation so the two wide ish midfielders can tuck in when required.

Bentley

Tanner            Kalas          Atkinson      Dasilva

James

Massengo                                      Scott

Palmer

Wells                 Weimann

I'm not quite done with Kasey yet, maybe a fixture like this could spark a bit of life into him.

I think I'd have Jennah and Benerous on the bench and aim to give them about 30 mins each if the games not going our way. 

6 hours ago, footie said:

Bentley

Tanner            Kalas          Atkinson      Dasilva

James

Massengo                                      Scott

Palmer

Wells                 Weimann

I think this is a fairly sensible starting line up, I'd swap Palmer with Benerous and Jenneh with whoever was looking least effective from Wells or Weimann.

42 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

Who you leaving out

Would go for

Bentley

Tanner Kalas Atkinson DaSilva

Massengo James

Weimann Scott Pring

Wells

In terms of Pearson's "surprises" I'm not sure how I can be surprised by any selection, considering that we don't seem to actually have a standard team or formation this season? I guess the most surprising selection would be one that looks like they might win at home?

• Like 1
  • Flames 1

2 hours ago, Kodjias Wrist said:

Obviously referring to LJ and his two dreadful runs. 

Well with @Fordy62 I assumed he was trying to denigrate LJ.  But with, as you put it, his two dreadful runs, did we not win at home for this many games?  Or indeed with any other manager in the history of the club?

20 minutes ago, Chivs said:

Well with @Fordy62 I assumed he was trying to denigrate LJ.  But with, as you put it, his two dreadful runs, did we not win at home for this many games?  Or indeed with any other manager in the history of the club?

Dont think we ever have had a worse run at home however worth pointing out that it started back end of last season and we were an absolute disgrace. What was it at one point ...2 shots on target in 5 games, 2 corners too wasnt it ? Its an improvement.

If only he had swapped the win at qpr or posh for the forest and swans result. For those fans who dont travel away i can completely understand frustrations not physically witnessing wins.