IGNORED

SURPRISE SELECTIONS?

ooRya

We are missing Famara, was not a fan in 2017, 2020 or 21 but 2018 and 19 version, defensively and causing problems up front with the odd goal or two

Or a player like that who can impact, we need strength at the front and at the back but think we are too light apart from defensive line,

A player with some stature is missing, maybe old fashioned view but I think we are a bit too soft.

The tackling  of Tanner but more of it across the field with 'some' aggression.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Chivs said:

Well with @Fordy62 I assumed he was trying to denigrate LJ.  But with, as you put it, his two dreadful runs, did we not win at home for this many games?  Or indeed with any other manager in the history of the club?

Didn't we set the club record for consecutive losses?

Eight defeats in a row, and losing 11 in 12 leaving us in 20th?

Edited by IAmNick

I don't see why we need to make big changes from the Forest team. It wasn't that we played badly or couldn't cope with them. It was a mental attitude problem in the second half, compounded by poor substitutions.

NP has to change the team's approach late in games rather than fixate on changing certain players imho. 

• Like 1
  • Hmmm 1

1 hour ago, JonDolman said:

Against Stoke last season Bell and Wells worked quite well together before Bell got a bad injury. The whole team seemed to suffer once he went off.

Probably won't be that, but at least they looked quite lively together. Bell is quick and very hard working. A high press with those 2 would certainly be different to anything we have seen this season.

Maybe a bit too radical a change for Nige. It's unlikely he will drop Martin and/or Weimann.

They did indeed….my only real good look at Bell.

We pressed well, caused a couple of awful passes out of defence from defender and keeper, and were on top.  Bell did his hammy, Stoke scored with their first attack….arghhhh!

FWIW I thought we pressed well v Blackpool with Martin and Scott.  It’s one of the reasons why I think Scott, not a natural Forward, has got good football intelligence.

7 minutes ago, JonDolman said:

I think Bell seemed to be more highly rated by the club than Conway a year or so back. They both look to me to have similar pace and work rate, but Bell looks like he has some tricks on him.

But Conway no doubt went ahead of him when given the opportunity as it looked like he is more aggressive, stronger and better in the air. And has a decent touch when linking play too.

For me, Conway looks to have the better game and brain (and a bit of edge)….but haven’t seen enough of Bell in all honesty.  Most of my view on Bell is based on his pace coming to the fore when I’ve watched, not the rest of his game. But we will see if he gets a chance.

2 hours ago, JonDolman said:

Against Stoke last season Bell and Wells worked quite well together before Bell got a bad injury. The whole team seemed to suffer once he went off.

I’m all for looking for positives but Bell went off injured then after 16 minutes!

Not exactly the greatest sample size & I don’t know what it says about the side on that day if they “suffered” because a kid on his full debut lasted so little time. Hardly like losing Kalas, is it?

I must admit I haven’t seen anywhere near enough of him to comment but would want a bit more to base it on than the first 15 minutes of one game.

Having seen far more of him I do like the look of Conway, though.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, GrahamC said:

I’m all for looking for positives but Bell went off injured then after 16 minutes!

Not exactly the greatest sample size & I don’t know what it says about the side on that day if they “suffered” because a kid on his full debut lasted so little time. Hardly like losing Kalas, is it?

I must admit I haven’t seen anywhere near enough of him to comment but would want a bit more to base it on than the first 15 minutes of one game.

Having seen far more of him I do like the look of Conway, though.

3 hours ago, Davefevs said:

For me, Conway looks to have the better game and brain (and a bit of edge)….but haven’t seen enough of Bell in all honesty.  Most of my view on Bell is based on his pace coming to the fore when I’ve watched, not the rest of his game. But we will see if he gets a chance.

Bell was very much outshone by Janneh in the FGR game.

Other than being enthusiastic and a bit nippy, Bell didn't really show what his strengths are in that game. He just seemed a keen young player that needed to work on physical strength. 

Edited by mozo
  • Thanks 1
  • Robin 1

1 hour ago, mozo said:

Bell was very much outshone by Janneh in the FGR game.

Other than being enthusiastic and a bit nippy, Bell didn't really show what his strengths are in that game. He just seemed a keen young player that needed to work on physical strength. 

Interesting.

I must admit I would like to see Janneh in the match day squad, he got 2 v FGR which got him a brief sub appearance at Boro but he dropped back out soon after.

He might be a bit raw, but he has pace (which we badly lack) & a bit of strength about him.

Ideal sub.

• Like 1

On 28/10/2021 at 13:53, Mad Cyril said:

On 28/10/2021 at 13:57, VT05763 said:

NP has form for chucking the players under the bus after a defeat and then picking the exact same team for the following game. 

Wouldn't expect many surprises.

My team would be .

Bentley

Kalas     Atkinson     Pring

Tanner                                                     DaSilva

James     Massengo

Palmer

Weimann     Britton

Switch Weiman for Palmer and put in Wells alongside Britton.

12 minutes ago, VT05763 said:

Yes your team is more likely.

Britton has to be given a chance.  He may not be the quickest - is he any slower than Martin - but he'll rough up and unsettle defenders as he did against Brentford end of last season. He's also better at putting the ball in the net. A penalty area player.

3 minutes ago, WECANDO said:

Britton has to be given a chance.  He may not be the quickest - is he any slower than Martin - but he'll rough up and unsettle defenders as he did against Brentford end of last season. He's also better at putting the ball in the net. A penalty area player.

He is currently playing for the 23s, Bell, Pearson, Janneh & Benarous didn’t get involved in midweek.

All 4 are far more likely to be in the squad tomorrow than him.

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, WECANDO said:

When he starts training with the first team he’ll then be up for selection, if warranted.  As it stands he’s not, although someone did inform me he recently passed Rennie’s beep test….so his fitness / stamina must be getting better.

• Like 3

22 hours ago, Super said:

What are you enjoying about it? We are truly terrible to watch and barely have any attempts on goal. It's pretty depressing.

Since the 2nd International break its been poor but we were fine up until Peterborough away I thought.

Only the one good half since the return from the 2nd International break though, that at home to Nottingham Forest.

Edited by Mr Popodopolous
  • Like 1

11 minutes ago, VT05763 said:

Is recovering from injury and is not yet fit to be considered for selection.

Thanks.

Given that there have been two International breaks already to break up the season and there will be a real intense period after the third, has the injury situation improved that much? Comparing like for like, 10-15 games into last season.

Hopefully the answer will prove to be YES. Hopefully the recuperation over the coming weeks ending with the third International break will prove decisive. After that we have 9 games in 44 days from Blackburn at home to Millwall at home, 20th November to 2nd January.

In addition to Cundy, Semenyo and Williams are two medium to long term already, in and out- King is out until December and so on.

Edited by Mr Popodopolous

1 hour ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

Since the 2nd International break its been poor but we were fine up until Peterborough away I thought.

Only the one good half since the return from the 2nd International break though, that at home to Nottingham Forest.

Fulham was OK but we really should have lost. The other home games have been dreadful.

• Hmmm 1

5 hours ago, Super said:

Fulham was OK but we really should have lost. The other home games have been dreadful.

Vs Blackpool we had our good points a Blackpool who are doing quite nicely this season tbh, Preston too but we drew each- Swansea we really shouldn't have lost, although possibly got a bit lucky vs Luton to get a point. Don't get the negativity with home games results aside, up to Fulham at home. Luton was the worst of the first 5 IMO.

On 28/10/2021 at 14:32, VT05763 said:

No names, like this week a subtle "some are not with us" etc etc. Nothing wrong with that and actually honest and clear to all.

BUT you must follow through with threats like that and several times last season he did not. Admittedly injuries were worse and choice perceived to be less, which is even more reason not to make "empty threats". - IMO.

Chucking people under the bus is publicly naming them . He never does that 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

8 hours ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

Vs Blackpool we had our good points a Blackpool who are doing quite nicely this season tbh, Preston too but we drew each- Swansea we really shouldn't have lost, although possibly got a bit lucky vs Luton to get a point. Don't get the negativity with home games results aside, up to Fulham at home. Luton was the worst of the first 5 IMO.

Swansea first half was good in fairness.

• Like 1