IGNORED

win or out.

Hampshire reds

2 minutes ago, VT05763 said:

Same for all clubs when a new manager comes in, very few have the "option" to ditch 11 or 12 if they want though.

All clubs have players under contract the new manager wants to get rid of but is stuck with. 

Yep, but most aren’t having to let 10 OOC players go in the same summer.

Diedhiou is the worst example of this.  Not only going for free but taking a who years wage too.  I know the market is crap, but last summer we should’ve bit there bullet.

28 minutes ago, JonDolman said:

I'm sure I read or heard somewhere that there was no pressure for Nige to release any of those players.

I’m sure the Lansdown family are very supportive….but without losing £10-12m of costs, he can’t go and get Atkinson, Tanner, etc.  You need to read between the lines of what is being said Jon.

I know it's just an example but I don't believe Pearson would have wanted to keep Paterson anyway. He has said a couple of times how he likes pace and power. I think he wants a team that can attack quickly when winning back possession.

He did say say Pato was very unlucky to not still be here.  Yeah, we know he likes pace and power, doesn’t mean every recruit is though….James, King, etc aren’t pace and power are they?

Yeah not completely sorted like backroom staff, recruitment etc but just based on the squad on paper I wouldn't really call it a mess, and he has brought Rennie in so that is sorting the real mess from last season imo.

It’s less of a mess, but it’s still unbalanced, lacking in quality in some places.  It’s ok though, agreed, it’s a middle eight/ten squad.  It needs to find some cohesion.  It had a bit early season, but that’s gone a bit over recent weeks.

Even last season I thought the squad looked fine when I assumed Williams and Walsh would be back soon and not knowing what was to come with injuries.

I guess we will see how he shapes his squad, and then it might show if we have a poor balance to this squad if players coming in improves it.

we need to keep evaluating our position over time as players come in, players drift out, players leave, etc.

He says a striker is the missing link. And I can't think what type that is he is after. Maybe that will change everything.

That is the position he wants power and pace.  Watching that video of the managers coming and going, I think he’d like an Akinbiyi type.  I didn’t watch much in those days, but when I did he was a right handful.  That’s what Nige wants imho.  Our strikers are a bit one-dimensional, we need strikers who do more than one thing well.

⬆️⬆️⬆️

15 hours ago, Hampshire reds said:

For me super nige has to get a win on sat. another defeat and for me changes will be needed. only my opinion. the usual ones who dont have an opinion will be giving me stick for this post. It will be 18 games which is not good enough. believe it or not i want him to be good for city but so far it is not good enough. Or have i missed something 

Attention seeking again. Boring.

Edited by Tin Soldier

For me super nige has to get a win on sat. another defeat and for me changes will be needed. only my opinion. the usual ones who dont have an opinion will be giving me stick for this post. It will be 18 games which is not good enough. believe it or not i want him to be good for city but so far it is not good enough. Or have i missed something 

Again GIFs | Tenor

IF we win tomorrow, will you **** off and never come back?

Fool.

• Haha 1

Just out of interest, anyone who gives you stick for this post DOES have an opinion, by definition, surely?

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Hampshire reds said:

Redrascal 2. This is a forum where people have opinions.If you dont agree with me then fine. But if everyone cleared off when the likes of you dont agree with something they just as well shut it down. As for using the word poison  that is a bit off. I even think Davefevs might agree with me. i did use the word might.

I just thought as you want Pearson out based on tomorrow's result you might want to apply the same logic to yourself. But  anyway if we win then you will be no where to be seen anyway. And there is the problem. You do not seem prepared to be positive when we win. COYR win tomorrow if only to stop another couple of hundred Hampshire Red posts that I think everyone on the forum knows off by heart now.

I get this. I also get how Hampshire Red feels. I will be fed up, have doubts, start to feel there should be a change, etc, etc, etc. We all genuinely love City and I think if we’re all honest with ourselves we are all totally frustrated, particularly having to enjoy very few periods of real promise only to endure subsequent longer periods of dashed hopes. After and still supporting this club (now my 55th season), it is not about simply accepting second best, more a case of expecting second best. This has been the pattern of supporting the team on the playing wise during this time. Some great, proud moments, some awful lows, but generally pretty mediocre stuff in second or third tier over these years.

However, for all this, I still get this often emotional, irrational hope that we will get there. It’s what makes me still go to watch, read this forum, etc. Supporting football is emotional. That’s why we love it and at the same time can resent it!

If we get poor results over the next few games but worse shit performances, then people will start to get more than twitchy. A larger number of the fanbase will start to want a change in manager. I will be frustrated, impatient (after 55 seasons - ha), and I will want a change. But if I try to logically look at the overall picture, I would have to say that at the moment it is too early to get rid. I believe we are still in the process of tearing down and looking at foundations, to that point we have to have courage to stick with it at the moment. If results get even worse by half way in the season and we’re in the bottom 3 with no improvement of performances then Nige probably knows he will be gone. He knows the score and scale of the mess the club is in football wise.

What I would be interested in from all the fellow fans on here is:

1) Do you trust the current Board to appoint a successor to Pearson, given their relative lack of success over the years, particularly not recruiting one to get us to the desired target of the Prem or play-offs (apart from 2008)? 

2) Do you think that the plan to get to the Prem is muddy, flawed, needs clarity, should change?  Do you think the board needs more Football World/streetwise expertise represented on it at Director level above the management team, who can help implement and guide the plan for the club? Should the plan be revised, torn up, or actually be communicated a bit better to the fans? Does the boardroom need a shakeup and change in dynamic before the team management? 

3) In the event of NP going, who or what type of manager should  we go for and why?

It would be good to get a picture of how people here think we can go forward and who with? 

So, I confess to thinking NP has to have more time at the moment. But I have to admit being at a bit of a loss to see where we go if this happens soon - haha you can tell by this long-winded post.

Whatever happens, I know that I’ll be full of hope again before tomorrow’s match - whether false or otherwise, and hope against all form we bloody well batter Barnsley - 1-0 will do!

I don't want to get involved in the discussion on sacking or not sacking Pearson, but can someone explain why everyone keeps saying we are broke and had to massively cut the wage bill and our finances will be screwed. Surely this logic applies to all league clubs not getting Premier League payments. Surely we are no more screwed than the majority of championship clubs. I didn't see all other clubs bin off double digit number of players in the summer. I'm not saying getting our finances in order isn't the right thing to do but are we the only club playing fair or are other clubs doing the same?

• Like 1

The thing I hate most about a thread like this is that when, inevitably, Pearson does leave us, posters like @Hampshire reds will cry that they were right all along, that they had the mystical foresight to see what no one else could see. Then they'll get on the next guys back as well.

Managers always leave eventually, and 90% of the time it's at the end of a very poor run of form. The easiest way to correctly predict anything in football is to constantly bang on about how a manager is crap.

• Like 3

1. Don’t know…would require Richard Gould to show his skills over and above SL/JL…and I’ve got nothing to go on in that respect yet.

2. It needs clarity, it has been mixed for a while.  Hoping the current regime have the plan.  I’d like to see a return to signing young players in the main.  More Tanner and Atkinson type signings please.

3. A good young, modern manager, backed up by a wily old, experienced one.  Not sure of the personal dynamics, but LJ needed a Nige-type, not Mark Ashton who both allowed each other to suck their own cocks and each other’s!  Excuse the language.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

7 minutes ago, Redsi2 said:

I don't want to get involved in the discussion on sacking or not sacking Pearson, but can someone explain why everyone keeps saying we are broke and had to massively cut the wage bill and our finances will be screwed. Surely this logic applies to all league clubs not getting Premier League payments. Surely we are no more screwed than the majority of championship clubs. I didn't see all other clubs bin off double digit number of players in the summer. I'm not saying getting our finances in order isn't the right thing to do but are we the only club playing fair or are other clubs doing the same?

Unfortunately we are more screwed than several other clubs, because we are trying to cut costs from a stupidly high cost base, out of kilter for the club revenues, at a time when we cannot rely on transfer profit to bail out our arses.

Thats the simple maths.

If we’d not wasted so much money, we could be as competitive as a number of smaller clubs are….and they are making us look bad (Coventry, Luton for example).

Plenty of other threads where me and others go into deeper explanations.

Just like the world outside of football….some companies in a given industry are thriving, others are going bust.

1 hour ago, Davefevs said:

That is the position he wants power and pace.  Watching that video of the managers coming and going, I think he’d like an Akinbiyi type.  I didn’t watch much in those days, but when I did he was a right handful.  That’s what Nige wants imho.  Our strikers are a bit one-dimensional, we need strikers who do more than one thing well.

Yes, I totally agree here. We need a striker who has enough about them to occupy an opposition. If anything it buys the team some time, papers over the cracks until we get better players in different positions to expand our play.

It means when all we can do is lump it forward, at least we have an outlet who might stretch the play, keep possession a bit longer, and add a genuine threat.

Look at it this way. Think back to Kodjia. Yes raw when he came, but was unpredictable to play against, had pace, skill, would take on and beat people. A defender had always to keep an eye on him. He wasn’t a target man but was a handful. Bobby Reid, skill, vision and above all energy to press defenders. Not a target man, but could lead the attack (okay in a team set up to press in its most successful times). Tammy Abraham, not a traditional target man, in fact a bit of a finisher, raw, but had positional awareness and an eye for movement. 

With Akinbiyi, all different sizes and styles, but all had attributes to worry the opposition defence at times on their own. I’d put Assombalonga (when first at Peterborough) in the same category. A fully fit and firing pre- injury Afobe too. The nearest to a traditional big CF that we could have spent money on is probably Keifer Moore, but he’s out of our range now. And I would prefer more mobility to be honest.

We are far too static, not always the forwards fault, but with the previous forwards I’ve named, you always thought there was a chance they might just do something special or out of the blue for themselves. We presently have decent forwards (no they’re not totally crap), but not one capable of worrying a defence on their own, being a truly effective focal point for our play. I think Wells would carry the best threat but is so dependent on service and team structure far more than the names listed we’ve had before.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, ooRya said:

I can understand the whole thing about "3 year project" "sorting out the mess" £clearing the dead wood" etc, but the thing that concerns me is that, every single team that comes to Ashton Gate plays better football than us. They run the midfield playing passing football and playing out from the back.

We play kick it long and hope for the best.

If nothing else, surely the blame for that can be laid at Pearson's feet.

Can it? Or is that the fault of the previous regime for signing a load of shit? Pearson's in credit for the transfers he's been able to do, IMO. Atkinson and Tanner will be good players in time, James is solid at this level, the others are PL title winners who can surely pass on some experience to what is a young dressing room. 

To the OP and others who want NP out if we lose tomorrow, name me someone to come in? I'm sure as hell no-one in their right mind would fancy taking us on with no cash to spend, players we can't sell, and probably having to rebuild the backroom staff again as Rennie and Fleming will leave when NP does. 

This modern era of instant gratification is complete bollocks. Whatever to having a bit of patience and offering support? Massive game tomorrow. Let's hope we get this monkey off our backs once and for all. 

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

Unfortunately we are more screwed than several other clubs, because we are trying to cut costs from a stupidly high cost base, out of kilter for the club revenues, at a time when we cannot rely on transfer profit to bail out our arses.

Thats the simple maths.

If we’d not wasted so much money, we could be as competitive as a number of smaller clubs are….and they are making us look bad (Coventry, Luton for example).

Plenty of other threads where me and others go into deeper explanations.

Just like the world outside of football….some companies in a given industry are thriving, others are going bust.

Thanks mate for your reply, so our business model of having players to sell to cover losses is clearly flawed because at some point you run out of good players to sell or the market plunges. There must be a few other clubs playing roulette like we did!!

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Redsi2 said:

Thanks mate for your reply, so our business model of having players to sell to cover losses is clearly flawed because at some point you run out of good players to sell or the market plunges. There must be a few other clubs playing roulette like we did!!

Yep, exactly that.  In a post a while ago, I likened us to Bristol Rovers.  Everything was fine and dandy selling Stewart, Taylor, Ellington, Hayley’s, etc, etc….and over time they stopped finding their replacements….and out of the league they eventually went.  In fact when I first started looking at the finances best part of 4 seasons ago, my thought was, it’s fine selling players if you replace them well, hopefully use to money to fund 2 or 3 each time, but when you don’t you’re snookered.  That is what we’ve become, speeded up in part by covid.

There are other clubs, Derby, Wednesday, Reading, etc….all who’ve sold their ground, Birmingham who took a points penalty, Cardiff struggling now they can’t loan the likes of Ojo and Wilson.

The PP clubs are fine, the small efficient clubs like Cov and Luton are fine….it’s clubs like us and those running out of PPs that are struggling….the cumbersome, inefficient juggernauts (or juggernauts in their own minds).

Edited by Davefevs
  • Like 1

7 hours ago, Robbored said:

You’re probably referring to 8 league defeats. There were two cup defeats in that run iirc.

Even if there was a couple of cup games in there (which there wasn’t by the way) you said you’d ‘sat through ten consecutive defeats’ - so you went to every game home and away during that run and tolerated ten consecutive defeats? Yet you constantly  complain bitterly about a tannoy?! If a tannoy can annoy you so much how did a run like that not push you over the edge?!

• Haha 1

Rocky. lets get it right i want city to win every game. i just think a defeat and a change is needed. to say if we win will i f off. no i wont unless the police block me. so a defeat tomorrow will you still think nige is the man. The games we have in November is a worry.  If we dont win at home we are in real trouble. 

• Sad 1

43 minutes ago, Red_Alligator said:

I want to be stood outside his office when you drop by to deliver your version of justice Hampshire. 

Game of Thrones will look like Larry Grayson's Generation Game in comparison.

I’d imagine the only similarity would be when Hampshire goes into his office and NP says “shut that door”!

• Like 1

52 minutes ago, Hampshire reds said:

Dean Holden had a 44% win ratio.

Super nige so far has a 21% win ratio.

The fan base wanted rid of Dean but seem to think the world of super Nige. i wait for Davefevs and his followers to give me stick

Why not have a go at replying to one of my posts?  Tell me on each point why your view is different to mine. The thing is I completely get why you have your view.  You seem to have little inclination to understand why others have a different view to yours.

For info, I didn’t want to get rid of Dean.

Do I have followers?  Whoohoo….how exciting.  Maybe it’s because I articulate my thoughts into posts that allow discussion, rather than think anyone with a different opinion is wrong.

I wait for @Hampshire redsto write a constructive reply to a post where I’ve replied to him / her.

• Like 4
  • Haha 1
  • Robin 2

10 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

Why not have a go at replying to one of my posts?  Tell me on each point why your view is different to mine. The thing is I completely get why you have your view.  You seem to have little inclination to understand why others have a different view to yours.

Do I have followers?  Whoohoo….how exciting.  Maybe it’s because I articulate my thoughts into posts that allow discussion, rather than think anyone with a different opinion is wrong.

I wait for @Hampshire redsto write a constructive reply to a post where I’ve replied to him / her.

@Davefevs is the messiah!!

I should know I’ve followed a few.

• Haha 2

16 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

Waiting.........

Davefevs.i could reply by telling you to F off like some do to me. but what is the point. you have plenty to say which is fine that is what an open forum is all about. some on here dont start topics just like slagging fellow city fans off. in my mind that is very sad. i want super nige to be a success but up to now its been dreadful. hopefully a win tomorrow to get things going at home. i stand by what i say defeat and a change is needed. 18 games at home would be embarrassing. 

• Sad 1

12 minutes ago, Hampshire reds said:

Davefevs.i could reply by telling you to F off like some do to me. but what is the point. you have plenty to say which is fine that is what an open forum is all about. some on here dont start topics just like slagging fellow city fans off. in my mind that is very sad. i want super nige to be a success but up to now its been dreadful. hopefully a win tomorrow to get things going at home. i stand by what i say defeat and a change is needed. 18 games at home would be embarrassing. 

Still waiting.......

• Like 2

9 hours ago, Hampshire reds said:

Redrascal 2. This is a forum where people have opinions.If you dont agree with me then fine. But if everyone cleared off when the likes of you dont agree with something they just as well shut it down. As for using the word poison  that is a bit off. I even think Davefevs might agree with me. i did use the word might.

Opinions are like assholes, we all have one, and you happen to be a massive opinion 

• Haha 2