IGNORED

win or out.

Hampshire reds

4 hours ago, Hampshire reds said:

well done super nige for getting us over the line. how was that super nige he nearly cost us the win with substitute decisions. But we won thats the main thing. 

You slag him off every time we lose and now we win not  only do you give him no credit but criticise him again. Remarkable.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Hampshire reds said:

its the truth he did nearly cost us the game. no beef just facts. . ok Nigel said it himself it was a poor performance. 

So we won and it was a poor performance. Other games we've played well and lost. If we can get  the winning mentality the performances will follow. 

Edited by E.G.Red

1 hour ago, Redrascal2 said:

You slag him off every time we lose and now we win not  only do you give him no credit but criticise him again. Remarkable.

We won in spite of NP on Saturday, not because of him..! 

We had no apparent game plan, no shape... We were dreadful..! 

It was only the players sheer effort, Wiemann taking his 2 chances and an awful lot of luck, that saved that game from being an utter disaster and NP didn't have a clue what to do to sort it out. 

I'm still in the "hope (rather than believe) that NP can do something here" camp - but on the evidence so far, Bar a few little spells of encouragement, he doesn't seem to have a clue what his best line up, formation or style of play is...! 

I said last week that the next 20 games will make my mind up - 

1 game down and a very welcome 3 points certainly papered over an utterly woeful performance, from a managerial point of view. 

10 minutes ago, Bar BS3 said:

It was only the players sheer effort, Wiemann taking his 2 chances and an awful lot of luck, that saved that game from being an utter disaster and NP didn't have a clue what to do to sort it out. 

I'm still in the "hope (rather than believe) that NP can do something here" camp - but on the evidence so far, Bar a few little spells of encouragement, he doesn't seem to have a clue what his best line up, formation or style of play is...! 

1 game down and a very welcome 3 points certainly papered over an utterly woeful performance, from a managerial point of view. 

Playing poorly and winning has to be a positive.

Nige doesn’t know his best 11 because of availability. Both Williams and Baker would starters but they’re both out. Tanner is young and new to the Championship and he needs a rest if only to protect him. The relentless nature of the Championship buts pressure on all players but particularly younger ones.

City are less than a third into this season - let’s see where we are after two thirds thru.

Edited by Robbored

3 hours ago, Hampshire reds said:

its the truth he did nearly cost us the game. no beef just facts. . ok Nigel said it himself it was a poor performance. 

And I will ask again, and I will keep doing so - replace him with whom exactly?

You clearly must have someone in mind that is attainable or are you simply being a dick?

An answer would be appreciated @Hampshire reds @Hampshire reds

BTW your answer needs to be based on all of the facts e.g. Pep is unavailable and we are strapped by FFP.

I am waiting, along, I am sure, with a few others

Edited by ScottishRed
  • Like 2

7 minutes ago, Bar BS3 said:

I think it’s pretty obvious and most agree the performance wasn’t up to any kind of standard, but the OP set his own parameters with his no nonsense, thread title “win or out.” Nothing more, nothing less. 

• Like 2

42 minutes ago, Bar BS3 said:

We did have a game plan, we did have a shape….whether it was the right game plan or shape is another matter!  Players poorly executed it, whatever.  Nige didn’t just pick eleven players and say “off you go” did he?

Some credit to Barnsley for making us “dreadful”.  That’s the way they play their game.  A lot of teams will get dragged down, because that’s the way they play, they don’t want a pretty game of football.  City had 60% more aerial duels on Saturday than their season average.  They are a “disruptive” team.  But even direct teams have enough footballing ability if you allow them.

What we didn’t do was, do enough ourselves to make them change their way, e.g. force them to re-think their WBs.  Even though we bust their high line twice to score, they didn’t change.

I’m not disagreeing we were poor by the way, just that I wasn’t particularly surprised that it turned out the way it did.  How many fans said pre-game, “need a win, don’t care how we get it”?  It was a very important 3 points, it will feel like a huge relief to the players.  I over-analyse at times, but what I’m looking forward to is seeing if it has any affect on tomorrow night’s game, confidence, etc.

Its not an easy watch at the mo’, but the players are grafting, and that’s a start.

• Like 4

8 hours ago, Davefevs said:

We did have a game plan, we did have a shape….whether it was the right game plan or shape is another matter!  Players poorly executed it, whatever.  Nige didn’t just pick eleven players and say “off you go” did he?

Some credit to Barnsley for making us “dreadful”.  That’s the way they play their game.  A lot of teams will get dragged down, because that’s the way they play, they don’t want a pretty game of football.  City had 60% more aerial duels on Saturday than their season average.  They are a “disruptive” team.  But even direct teams have enough footballing ability if you allow them.

What we didn’t do was, do enough ourselves to make them change their way, e.g. force them to re-think their WBs.  Even though we bust their high line twice to score, they didn’t change.

I’m not disagreeing we were poor by the way, just that I wasn’t particularly surprised that it turned out the way it did.  How many fans said pre-game, “need a win, don’t care how we get it”?  It was a very important 3 points, it will feel like a huge relief to the players.  I over-analyse at times, but what I’m looking forward to is seeing if it has any affect on tomorrow night’s game, confidence, etc.

Its not an easy watch at the mo’, but the players are grafting, and that’s a start.

I agree in general and I hope you are right. 

To me, it just feels like we are going backwards & NP hasn't got a clue how to impact a game when it's not going our way. 

Yes, absolutely, 3 points was the oder of the day on Saturday - but (as good as it felt at the time) I think we'd all agree that we very very lucky to hold out for the win, against a poor team, who could easily have done what Forest did. 

The players gave everything - but we have to be better, or we are in big trouble! 

• Like 2

9 hours ago, Robbored said:

Playing poorly and winning has to be a positive.

Nige doesn’t know his best 11 because of availability. Both Williams and Baker would starters but they’re both out. Tanner is young and new to the Championship and he needs a rest if only to protect him. The relentless nature of the Championship buts pressure on all players but particularly younger ones.

City are less than a third into this season - let’s see where we are after two thirds thru.

My post literally said let's see where we are in 10 games time (9 now) 

I'm not sure why you'd make 2/3's a review point..? 

9 hours ago, ScottishRed said:

And I will ask again, and I will keep doing so - replace him with whom exactly?

You clearly must have someone in mind that is attainable or are you simply being a dick?

An answer would be appreciated @Hampshire reds @Hampshire reds

BTW your answer needs to be based on all of the facts e.g. Pep is unavailable and we are strapped by FFP.

I am waiting, along, I am sure, with a few others

He's simply being a dick.

• Thanks 1

40 minutes ago, Bar BS3 said:

I agree in general and I hope you are right. 

To me, it just feels like we are going backwards & NP hasn't got a clue how to impact a game when it's not going our way. 

Yes, absolutely, 3 points was the oder of the day on Saturday - but (as good as it felt at the time) I think we'd all agree that we very very lucky to hold out for the win, against a poor team, who could easily have done what Forest did. 

The players gave everything - but we have to be better, or we are in big trouble! 

Given the number of times this season that we didn't hang on, I would call that an improvement, albeit one that doesn't help our hearts. This win is like a striker ending a goal drought by having the ball go in off his backside, lets hope that the result is the end of our particularly poor run of home results rather than a flash in the pan

50 minutes ago, Bar BS3 said:

My post literally said let's see where we are in 10 games time (9 now) 

I'm not sure why you'd make 2/3's a review point..? 

Because the season is 46 fixtures and it’s pretty much impossible to perform well in every one of them - particularly as Nige is rebuilding the squad.

Many of us thought that a mid table finish would be acceptable in Nige’s first campaign and that will mean runs of good, bad and indifferent form with corresponding results. I’d not be worrying  if after 30 games City have won 10, drawn 10 and lost 10 - plenty of the managers critics would be having a field day tho.

• Like 3

33 minutes ago, semblar said:

Given the number of times this season that we didn't hang on, I would call that an improvement, albeit one that doesn't help our hearts. This win is like a striker ending a goal drought by having the ball go in off his backside, lets hope that the result is the end of our particularly poor run of home results rather than a flash in the pan

I completely agree - problem is, its just that... "hope" rather than seeing much else in terms of improvement. 

10 minutes ago, Robbored said:

Because the season is 46 fixtures and it’s pretty much impossible to perform well in every one of them - particularly as Nige is rebuilding the squad.

Many of us thought that a mid table finish would be acceptable in Nige’s first campaign and that will mean runs of good, bad and indifferent form with corresponding results. I’d not be worrying  if after 30 games City have won 10, drawn 10 and lost 10 - plenty of the managers critics would be having a field day tho.

I doubt they would. 

That would leave us needing 2 or 3 wins from the remaining 16 games to ensure safety. 

Surely half way ish is a good point at which to review things, once we've played everyone once and have a realistic indicator as to we are doing. 

At 2/3's point there will always be an eneven review, based on who we've played twice and who we've still got to play. 

I know it's not an overnight fix - but we seem to be going backwards, after a few false dawns in terms of performance. 

We are never out playing teams, we rarely have more possession or passes, or attacks  and when we are playing the better teams, we seem to just let them play their game, without doing much to try and disrupt their flow. It feels like the only thing that scrapes us results at the moment is either players giving everything in throwing their bodies in the way, or a huge amount of good fortune.... How many times have the opposition hit the woodwork against us this season...?! 

We need more shape & game plan - that's Nige's job to sort out and it doesn't seem to be happening. 

I hope he sorts it out, but are very few indicators that that's happening... His starting selections are often questionable, our shape/game plan seems to change game on game & the players often look lost. His substitutions are often baffling and his man management seems questionable. 

If it's a season of rebuilding, that's fine - but then pick a bloody shape, system & game plan & work on it...!

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, Bar BS3 said:

I doubt they would. 

That would leave us needing 2 or 3 wins from the remaining 16 games to ensure safety. 

Surely half way ish is a good point at which to review things, once we've played everyone once and have a realistic indicator as to we are doing. 

At 2/3's point there will always be an eneven review, based on who we've played twice and who we've still got to play. 

I know it's not an overnight fix - but we seem to be going backwards, after a few false dawns in terms of performance. 

We are never out playing teams, we rarely have more possession or passes, or attacks  and when we are playing the better teams, we seem to just let them play their game, without doing much to try and disrupt their flow. It feels like the only thing that scrapes us results at the moment is either players giving everything in throwing their bodies in the way, or a huge amount of good fortune.... How many times have the opposition hit the woodwork against us this season...?! 

We need more shape & game plan - that's Nige's job to sort out and it doesn't seem to be happening. 

I hope he sorts it out, but are very few indicators that that's happening... His starting selections are often questionable, our shape/game plan seems to change game on game & the players often look lost. His substitutions are often baffling and his man management seems questionable. 

If it's a season of rebuilding, that's fine - but then pick a bloody shape, system & game plan & work on it...!

My view is that we should constantly review, looking for trends, either up or down.

4 games ago we were sat in 9th.  Today we sit 15th.  Performances in the main have trended down before the win at Peterborough, where I thought 3-2 flattered them - two worldies from SS.  I wouldn’t say we were too far above average that day, but despite Peterborough knocking it around ok, if you push your CBs on to create an extra man, expect to get pick off if you lose the ball.  Had we played like them, I’d have called us naive.

We then had Bournemouth where we were totally outclassed.  Same with West Brom, but against Forest I thought we were the better team first half, their chances came from our mistakes, and we actually created chances from passing moves.  Second half we weathered an early storm, and could’ve taken the game away from Forest if Wells had scored or Scott got the penalty.  We didn’t and we got punished….punished badly.

So even in a trending down run, there were still some small “ups”.

Its gonna be like this all season.

There will be another checkpoint (for me) after Coventry as we hit another international break.  And probably another review at Xmas, then end of window.

If I was plotting our season, both results and performances have been up and down, not necessarily at the same time.  I suspect many clubs around us in the table are saying the same thing.

I don’t think we’ve had one really good performance this season, Reading was pretty decent, and Cardiff is probably the best, but still areas to improve.

As fans o think we have to ride the ups and downs….I think it’s gonna feel a struggle all season, but I think we have some character to get us through.

In the last few years, I’ve been a bit fed up of teams coming to AG, playing a bit crap and getting the points, so maybe we are doing that back to them in this period.

I don’t get too excited after a win, I don’t get too low after a loss.  I get a bit animated by lack of effort, or sloppy stuff, but I’m calmed down by the reality of the effing mess Nige has taken over.  As individuals we have enough tidy players, but there isn’t a natural playing fit (yet).  A couple of key injuries returning may help that, we will have to wait and see.  I know none of us pick the side, but there is still tonnes of debate about best eleven / system amongst us, none of us are right or wrong.  From Nige’s side, he can’t seem to get consistent performances either, so that makes it harder.

I’m happy to constantly review, tweak my view from what I see.  I’m happy enough at the mo’….although the season started with low expectations and a slow burner to improvement, so we are in a good place at the mo’ from my perspective.

• Like 4

23 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

i’m happy to constantly review, tweak my view from what I see.  I’m happy enough at the mo’….although the season started with low expectations and a slow burner to improvement, so we are in a good place at the mo’ from my perspective.

Id much rather that, than start of with a bang and then fade away after Christmas, as has been the case the last few seasons. You want momentum at the business end. If the team is finding its feet now, with as you say a slow improvement then im happy with that. Its all about consolidation this year

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Bar BS3 said:

I completely agree - problem is, its just that... "hope" rather than seeing much else in terms of improvement. 

We've massively reduced the wage bill, we've signed 2 good up coming defenders for peanuts

Until the likes of palmer vyner Wells etc are moved on, our hands are very much tied

You are conveniently forgetting to factor in 3 morale sapping defeats in a row, one where the players were very much creast fallen in (forest)

That has a massive effect on players which is why we were under such pressure in the last 20 minutes

We've conceded so much in the latter part of the second half it effects them mentally, 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Monkeh said:

We've massively reduced the wage bill, we've signed 2 good up coming defenders for peanuts

Until the likes of palmer vyner Wells etc are moved on, our hands are very much tied

You are conveniently forgetting to factor in 3 morale sapping defeats in a row, one where the players were very much creast fallen in (forest)

That has a massive effect on players which is why we were under such pressure in the last 20 minutes

We've conceded so much in the latter part of the second half it effects them mentally, 

Yes I've taken all that into account... 

It wasn't just the last 20 mins... We were 2nd best, against the team bottom of the division, for most of the game. 

Can you describe our favoured game plan, playing style & formation...? 

I don't think I can...! 

And more worryingly, I don't think that NP can either..!