Jump to content
IGNORED

Learn from past mistakes, give him time.


Coolrunnings
 Share

Recommended Posts

Sensible, realistic post. Refreshing to see.

We are doing on the whole as expected so far, this is the beginning of a rebuild and we're not the type of club to chop and change manager every 5 minutes.

This season is all about consolidating while Nige's stature grows within the club and for him to continue with the backroom reshuffling, there will be some highs and lows along the way but we just need to stick with the team and trust the process for now.

I truly can't get my head round the Pearson out brigade at this point.

  • Like 8
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Agree with much of what the OP says except I'd argue we do have a quality finisher already in Wells, just need to play him up front supported by Scott and bin off Martin & Weimann. If NP can't see past picking those 2 to start every game, and our poor run continues I will have little sympathy for him.

  • Confused 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Good post OP, what most sensible fans think, its only a few moaners with unrealistic expectations constantly posting that make it feel more.

In some way its good that this is early in the season rather than the normal late season collapse as at least NP has another transfer window and time to turn around and its amazing how many teams that struggler early, end finishing strongly.

Its at times like these that the team need the fans behind them more than ever and not start moaning or jeering ever little mistake. We have been within minutes of a home win several times and it will come, but is becoming harder the more the run goes on and the nervous energy of the crowd and players combine in the closing minutes of games. 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Coolrunnings said:

With some of the natives starting to get restless with NP it’s time to get realistic .

The mess he has had to sort out is way beyond what we all realised. 


Minimal money to spend and obviously under big wage constraints too.

Get the impression he’s not a moaner about what he’s got but it’s far from ideal.

Our biggest issue is in the attacking third ,wide players zero , centre forwards all ageing with best years behind them .

Defence will be decent in time , Tanner has potential, Kalas ✅ , Atkinson will be good just left back to sort in long term . Jay not big enough for Championship full back ? Pring.

Midfield with Williams , Massengo and James is good enough for top half finish .

Then the problems start as the forward options are limited and unreliable. Width ❌ Forwards with pace and finishing either inconsistent or none. Genuine big target man I’m talking 6’ 2 “ ❌.

We have wanted a manager with a pedigree for a long time , we have one who has done a decent job in the prem and at Leicester. He’s no nonsense and will sort out the problems but at the moment he’s trying to build a team with his hands tied , getting players in with the financial issues is going to be a slow process we just need to have faith and be patient.

Think what’s changed so far , medical team changed , coaching set up changed . New assistant manager . Players are the most difficult to change and most expensive.

If we had a decent wide player and quality centre forward we will be a lot closer we just need to get them when we can .

 

The side,above all else is badly in need of an injection of pace..

Alongside another forward option displaying genuine presence/physicality.

Of course,,Nigel's aware of what we need & no doubt has sights fixed on one or two eventual additions.

Very frustrating for everyone,,least of all Nigel,,being currently hamstrung to a degree by the lack of control within the club over recent years.......I'm sure he knew what he was signing up for ??....

I'm not certain he was absolutely aware of the scale,,root & branch,,of what was being asked of him..

He knows now.

Edited by Son of Fred
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Coolrunnings said:

With some of the natives starting to get restless with NP it’s time to get realistic .

The mess he has had to sort out is way beyond what we all realised. 


Minimal money to spend and obviously under big wage constraints too.

Get the impression he’s not a moaner about what he’s got but it’s far from ideal.

Our biggest issue is in the attacking third ,wide players zero , centre forwards all ageing with best years behind them .

Defence will be decent in time , Tanner has potential, Kalas ✅ , Atkinson will be good just left back to sort in long term . Jay not big enough for Championship full back ? Pring.

Midfield with Williams , Massengo and James is good enough for top half finish .

Then the problems start as the forward options are limited and unreliable. Width ❌ Forwards with pace and finishing either inconsistent or none. Genuine big target man I’m talking 6’ 2 “ ❌.

We have wanted a manager with a pedigree for a long time , we have one who has done a decent job in the prem and at Leicester. He’s no nonsense and will sort out the problems but at the moment he’s trying to build a team with his hands tied , getting players in with the financial issues is going to be a slow process we just need to have faith and be patient.

Think what’s changed so far , medical team changed , coaching set up changed . New assistant manager . Players are the most difficult to change and most expensive.

If we had a decent wide player and quality centre forward we will be a lot closer we just need to get them when we can .

 

An excellent summary of where City are and what Nige is having to currently deal with. It’s just a shame that some posters can’t see the full picture and are already complaining particularly about our home form. 

Nige has a three year contract and he’s just 14 games into his first year and any sensible City fan will know that Rome wasn’t built in a day.

At the start of this season many of us said that we’d be happy enough with a mid table finish and that’ll mean several defeats, several wins and draws over 46 games and who knows -  maybe City will go on an unbeaten run and zoom up the table?…………:dunno:

 

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Coolrunnings said:

With some of the natives starting to get restless with NP it’s time to get realistic .

The mess he has had to sort out is way beyond what we all realised. 


Minimal money to spend and obviously under big wage constraints too.

Get the impression he’s not a moaner about what he’s got but it’s far from ideal.

Our biggest issue is in the attacking third ,wide players zero , centre forwards all ageing with best years behind them .

Defence will be decent in time , Tanner has potential, Kalas ✅ , Atkinson will be good just left back to sort in long term . Jay not big enough for Championship full back ? Pring.

Midfield with Williams , Massengo and James is good enough for top half finish .

Then the problems start as the forward options are limited and unreliable. Width ❌ Forwards with pace and finishing either inconsistent or none. Genuine big target man I’m talking 6’ 2 “ ❌.

We have wanted a manager with a pedigree for a long time , we have one who has done a decent job in the prem and at Leicester. He’s no nonsense and will sort out the problems but at the moment he’s trying to build a team with his hands tied , getting players in with the financial issues is going to be a slow process we just need to have faith and be patient.

Think what’s changed so far , medical team changed , coaching set up changed . New assistant manager . Players are the most difficult to change and most expensive.

If we had a decent wide player and quality centre forward we will be a lot closer we just need to get them when we can .

 

win or out.

  • Haha 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, old_eastender said:

Agree with much of what the OP says except I'd argue we do have a quality finisher already in Wells, just need to play him up front supported by Scott and bin off Martin & Weimann. If NP can't see past picking those 2 to start every game, and our poor run continues I will have little sympathy for him.

Do you not rate Martin or Weimann?

You've not said....

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, old_eastender said:

Agree with much of what the OP says except I'd argue we do have a quality finisher already in Wells, just need to play him up front supported by Scott and bin off Martin & Weimann. If NP can't see past picking those 2 to start every game, and our poor run continues I will have little sympathy for him.

I like both Weimann and Martin, both have had good games this season, but the way we are playing currently (which is different to a month ago) is not helping them.

I believe that if you play Wells up top he’d get you 1 in 3.  If you pair him well, with whoever, whether that be the two above or Scott or Palmer, and it comes off, he’d get you more.

As it stands I don’t think we know the best partner for Wells.

If we could get good possession in the final third, I’d say Martin could bring the best out of him…like early last season, with good lay-offs around the box.  But we aren’t playing like that.  We might do if we can get Williams, Massengo and James on the pitch together.  This sums it up for me.

C5BBD290-8CDA-4BD8-9EBF-2B7CCAAAAF9B.thumb.jpeg.b30845370867a6ad96d15388b0032ab4.jpeg

Just one game so far this season where all three have been in the 18…..QPR, where Williams was an unused sub.

Nige needs to find the right partner(s) for Wells, might not be a pair, might not be a no10 per se….but I would like to see Scott / Wells at some point.

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

27 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

I like both Weimann and Martin, both have had good games this season, but the way we are playing currently (which is different to a month ago) is not helping them.

I believe that if you play Wells up top he’d get you 1 in 3.  If you pair him well, with whoever, whether that be the two above or Scott or Palmer, and it comes off, he’d get you more.

As it stands I don’t think we know the best partner for Wells.

If we could get good possession in the final third, I’d say Martin could bring the best out of him…like early last season, with good lay-offs around the box.  But we aren’t playing like that.  We might do if we can get Williams, Massengo and James on the pitch together.  This sums it up for me.

C5BBD290-8CDA-4BD8-9EBF-2B7CCAAAAF9B.thumb.jpeg.b30845370867a6ad96d15388b0032ab4.jpeg

Just one game so far this season where all three have been in the 18…..QPR, where Williams was an unused sub.

Nige needs to find the right partner(s) for Wells, might not be a pair, might not be a no10 per se….but I would like to see Scott / Wells at some point.

I think it is a wider issue and a hangover from both last season and our scattershot recruitment policy. We have got three senior strikers and I don’t think any of them are natural partners for each other.

The closest I have seen to a strike partnership between two players at the club is Semenyo and Martin but

a) that was once in a league cup game over a year ago 

b) Semenyo is injured 

c) I’d not advocating for a Martin and Semenyo partnership as being part of our best eleven.

I think both Wells and Martin get a fair amount of criticism but both them and Weimann are not being used to their strengths and I am not sure whether we have the players to do that in any case.

As for the OP, I agree and I think calling for Pearson to leave at this point is like dismantling your rickety old garage to build a summerhouse in its place, and then scrapping the whole thing mid-build because the pile of dismantled bricks and foundations in your garden doesn’t look enough like a summerhouse.

  • Like 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, Coolrunnings said:

With some of the natives starting to get restless with NP it’s time to get realistic .

The mess he has had to sort out is way beyond what we all realised. 


Minimal money to spend and obviously under big wage constraints too.

Get the impression he’s not a moaner about what he’s got but it’s far from ideal.

Our biggest issue is in the attacking third ,wide players zero , centre forwards all ageing with best years behind them .

Defence will be decent in time , Tanner has potential, Kalas ✅ , Atkinson will be good just left back to sort in long term . Jay not big enough for Championship full back ? Pring.

Midfield with Williams , Massengo and James is good enough for top half finish .

Then the problems start as the forward options are limited and unreliable. Width ❌ Forwards with pace and finishing either inconsistent or none. Genuine big target man I’m talking 6’ 2 “ ❌.

We have wanted a manager with a pedigree for a long time , we have one who has done a decent job in the prem and at Leicester. He’s no nonsense and will sort out the problems but at the moment he’s trying to build a team with his hands tied , getting players in with the financial issues is going to be a slow process we just need to have faith and be patient.

Think what’s changed so far , medical team changed , coaching set up changed . New assistant manager . Players are the most difficult to change and most expensive.

If we had a decent wide player and quality centre forward we will be a lot closer we just need to get them when we can .

 

Obviously to sack him now would be a bit kneejerk, but remember Lee Johnson, some would rightly argue he was given too much time, what is the right amount of time? I would hope to see signs of improvement at the very least in the next six months if not even the normally patient SL may get a bit twitchy. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, old_eastender said:

Agree with much of what the OP says except I'd argue we do have a quality finisher already in Wells, just need to play him up front supported by Scott and bin off Martin & Weimann. If NP can't see past picking those 2 to start every game, and our poor run continues I will have little sympathy for him.

Weimann is statistically our best player and Martin has scored the 6th most Championship goals in history.

Yeah bin em off 🤣

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, Robbored said:

An excellent summary of where City are and what Nige is having to currently deal with. It’s just a shame that some posters can’t see the full picture and are already complaining particularly about our home form. 

Nige has a three year contract and he’s just 14 games into his first year and any sensible City fan will know that Rome wasn’t built in a day.

At the start of this season many of us said that we’d be happy enough with a mid table finish and that’ll mean several defeats, several wins and draws over 46 games and who knows -  maybe City will go on an unbeaten run and zoom up the table?…………:dunno:

 

 Already Complaining particularly about our home form, in the words of a certain tennis player you cannot be serious, what the home form which is the worst in the clubs entire 125 year history tut tut people are so impatient aren't they, Robbo even for you this takes the biscuit. And 14 games where the hell did you get that figure from it's double that isn't it?  

Edited by pillred
punctuation
  • Confused 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, Robbored said:

An excellent summary of where City are and what Nige is having to currently deal with. It’s just a shame that some posters can’t see the full picture and are already complaining particularly about our home form. 

Nige has a three year contract and he’s just 14 games into his first year and any sensible City fan will know that Rome wasn’t built in a day.

At the start of this season many of us said that we’d be happy enough with a mid table finish and that’ll mean several defeats, several wins and draws over 46 games and who knows -  maybe City will go on an unbeaten run and zoom up the table?…………:dunno:

 

Confused about what? that people are rightly p off with the worst home form in over 125 years, well I'm confused as to who this manager is that has only been in charge for 14 games.

  • Confused 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, Son of Fred said:

The side,above all else is badly in need of an injection of pace..

Alongside another forward option displaying genuine presence/physicality.

Of course,,Nigel's aware of what we need & no doubt has sights fixed on one or two eventual additions.

Very frustrating for everyone,,least of all Nigel,,being currently hamstrung to a degree by the lack of control within the club over recent years.......I'm sure he knew what he was signing up for ??....

I'm not certain he was absolutely aware of the scale,,root & branch,,of what was being asked of him..

He knows now.

Well, he is certainly at the right club for that, but, as you say, surely he must have known what he was signing up for. 😉

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Looks like Robbored is having one of those days where he states something like "some supporters are already complaining about our home form" what our worst home form in 125 years then gets confused when I point out how ridiculous that sounds. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

24 minutes ago, PHILINFRANCE said:

Well, he is certainly at the right club for that, but, as you say, surely he must have known what he was signing up for. 😉

I’m sure he knows exactly what a mess he’s signed up for.  In an ideal world he’d tell us what he thinks about every player, staff member, which ones are here, which ones have gone, and why.  We’d probably understand better what the task ahead is if so.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, Son of Fred said:

The side,above all else is badly in need of an injection of pace..

Alongside another forward option displaying genuine presence/physicality.

Of course,,Nigel's aware of what we need & no doubt has sights fixed on one or two eventual additions.

Very frustrating for everyone,,least of all Nigel,,being currently hamstrung to a degree by the lack of control within the club over recent years.......I'm sure he knew what he was signing up for ??....

I'm not certain he was absolutely aware of the scale,,root & branch,,of what was being asked of him..

He knows now.

Good post & whilst I accept he is hardly likely to break any goal scoring records, Semenyo (whether starting or on as a sub) is a big miss in that regard, quick & although occasionally erratic, he takes his man on.

Huddersfield away last season for instance he frightened them to death.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

18 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

Nigel,being currently hamstrung to a degree.

'Well, he is certainly at the right club for that, but, as you say, surely he must have known what he was signing up for.' 😉

I’m sure he knows exactly what a mess he’s signed up for.  In an ideal world he’d tell us what he thinks about every player, staff member, which ones are here, which ones have gone, and why.  We’d probably understand better what the task ahead is if so.

Hmmm.

It would seem my attempt at humour wasn't as humorous as I thought, even though it was posted with a 😉.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

30 minutes ago, Gillies Downs Leeds said:

I am fully behind the rebuild project under NP after the shambolic running of the club in recent years. My big worry is that SL won't see the plan through and get rid of NP. SL doesn't seem to stick to a plan for too long..

That's a bit unfair on SL given the time he gave LJ to be successful. He generally keeps managers on unless there is a dire threat of relegation around the end of the calendar year, he remembers the years struggling to get out of L1 and can't contemplate going through that again.

NP has said he doesn't do the coaching so with Simpson and Downing leaving the team play is going to be down to Fleming. Also NP doesn't get involved in negotiating transfers so really he just seems to be a figurehead reliant on others in the organisation to deliver his 'vision'. So long as we stay in mid-table then I think he'll be ok but if say we lose to Barnsley and then have other poor results this month we will be near the bottom and then he would be at risk come December. I hope he's successful but I still have doubts.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 minutes ago, ashton_fan said:

That's a bit unfair on SL given the time he gave LJ to be successful. He generally keeps managers on unless there is a dire threat of relegation around the end of the calendar year, he remembers the years struggling to get out of L1 and can't contemplate going through that again.

NP has said he doesn't do the coaching so with Simpson and Downing leaving the team play is going to be down to Fleming. Also NP doesn't get involved in negotiating transfers so really he just seems to be a figurehead reliant on others in the organisation to deliver his 'vision'. So long as we stay in mid-table then I think he'll be ok but if say we lose to Barnsley and then have other poor results this month we will be near the bottom and then he would be at risk come December. I hope he's successful but I still have doubts.

He’s said he will be more involved in coaching now.  I think it’s a misnomer that he doesn’t coach, just that he does prefer do be more observational. He’s there on the training pitch, he’s not like Alex Ferguson who was stuck in the office.

Again, doesn’t get involved in negotiating transfers, why would he?  But you can bet your bottom dollar he will have spoken to the players themselves to get a better feel for what they are like.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

30 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

He’s said he will be more involved in coaching now.  I think it’s a misnomer that he doesn’t coach, just that he does prefer do be more observational. He’s there on the training pitch, he’s not like Alex Ferguson who was stuck in the office.

Again, doesn’t get involved in negotiating transfers, why would he?  But you can bet your bottom dollar he will have spoken to the players themselves to get a better feel for what they are like.

I haven't heard him say he's going to do more coaching but that would make sense, I was only going on what he's said himself in club interviews.

Regarding transfers it's normal for managers to get involved, eg remember when LJ gave a presentation to Chelsea on why Tammy Abraham should come to Bristol City? With Mark Ashton and LJ gone there's a bit of a void in this area so someone needs to take the initiative.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Just now, ashton_fan said:

I haven't heard him say he's going to do more coaching but that would make sense, I was only going on what he's said himself in club interviews.

Regarding transfers it's normal for managers to get involved, eg remember when LJ gave a presentation to Chelsea on why Tammy Abraham should come to Bristol City? With Mark Ashton and LJ gone there's a bit of a void in this area so someone needs to take the initiative.

He said it yesterday in media interviews.

Id suggest the signing of Tammy (or Eddie) is a bit different to Tanner and Atkinson, but get your point.  I’d imagine if we were after a PL startled and needed to pitch to a club, Nige would be right on it.  Although, I suspect Nige might also say “eff off, does he wanna come here or not”! 🤣🤣🤣

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, pillred said:

Confused about what? that people are rightly p off with the worst home form in over 125 years, well I'm confused as to who this manager is that has only been in charge for 14 games.

I understand that our squad is poor and we have no money to improve it, so you need to be a hard working well organised team. This approach gained us some nice away points BUT in more recent times we have been anything other than hard working and well organised. 

The job of the coaching team is to set a game plan and drum it into the squad. The job of the manager is to motivate the team to work hard and carry it out.

Yes confidence comes into the equation but the best way to destroy confidence is to set a game plan and selection that the team do not believe in. In recent times we start games poorly and we don't look like we believe we can win. If we get a bit of luck and score some belief comes in and things improve BUT if the 11 that walk across the line do not have faith in the plan or their team mates that is down to the manager. Remember Wycombe last year. Clearly their squad was not Championship level but they worked their *** off each game and punched above their weight.

You only have to look at Man U to see that when the players stop believing in the plan you are done for.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 hours ago, Davefevs said:

I believe that if you play Wells up top he’d get you 1 in 3.  If you pair him well, with whoever, whether that be the two above or Scott or Palmer, and it comes off, he’d get you more.

As it stands I don’t think we know the best partner for Wells.

Simples - we go get Eze, Chair and Osayi-Samuel 😀 - the guys providing the ammo the last time Wells was scoring consistently!

Then he joined us!

Signing Wells is actually a great example of how scattergun dysfunctional our recruitment has been - we don't have any players remotely like the ones named above (Palmer is totally unreliable) and the ones we do have don't seem to dovetail with Wells at all. If our squad was a jigsaw, it would be made up of pieces that don't actually fit together!

Alternatively, Lee Johnson has a property portfolio. Does he choose a wide variety of different colours that clash alarmingly when doing up a place, to the point the whole thing gives him a migraine?? I bet not. I bet he starts with the latest on trend shade of whatever, then adds complementary colours until the whole thing is a harmonious blend. You cannot say the same for our recruitment.

Perhaps Ashton was colour blind.   

Edited by Merrick's Marvels
  • Flames 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

 Share

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    • No registered users viewing this page.
×
×
  • Create New...