IGNORED

Ampadu red card at Veneziana

Leveller

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-10140003/Chelsea-loanee-Ethan-Ampadu-sent-inch-perfect-tackle-loan-spell-Venezia.html

This has been much debated on Twitter and in the press but I haven't seen it mentioned here, so perhaps people haven't seen it?

A few people have defended the ref, but not many. I'm old school and see it as a perfect tackle, even if Ribery was tripped (not hurt) by the follow through.

What do others think? is a tackle illegal now if there is any contact with the tackled player?

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

The only defence of the ref i can give us that it’s a slight studs up lunge, and as the striker is through on goal it’s denying a chance and therefore a red.

But it’s a shocker imho.

There's one angle where it looks like he gets the players foot first.

The others it looked a perfect challenge. 

Think it's a tough decision for the ref, he clearly didn't think it was a foul at first viewing and was told something through his earpiece.

He does take his foot first by the looks of it but I’m not sure whether I agree with that being a sending off.

We had one go for us last year at Southampton that never got much discussion but I thought was also pretty controversial like this one. Vestergaard won the ball in a similar situation but caught Vardy after, the question was whether Vardy could still get there or not. Didn’t seem clear that he would and DOGSO was given as the reason. Tbh he deserved sending off for endangering an opponent but it wasn’t the reason given.

Milan Djuric there in the video too. Forgot he existed. Remember when Ampadu was gunna be the next big thing? Hasn't done shit... except get sent off.

... and why do Venezia shirts not have a badge? Are they like the crap Man City ones?

Edited by TBW
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 1

2 hours ago, TBW said:

Milan Djuric there in the video too. Forgot he existed. Remember when Ampadu was gunna be the next big thing? Hasn't done shit... except get sent off.

... and why do Venezia shirts not have a badge? Are they like the crap Man City ones?

Ampadu is just 21 years old, has lots of International caps for Wales, has played in the Premier league, the German league, and now the Italian league, he is still a Chelsea player.

I repeat, he is 21 years old…. not exactly someone who “hasn’t done shit”!!

Edited by Portland Bill
  • Like 4

11 hours ago, TBW said:

8 hours ago, Portland Bill said:

Ampadu is just 21 years old, has lots of International caps for Wales, has played in the Premier league, the German league, and now the Italian league, he is still a Chelsea player.

I repeat, he is 21 years old…. not exactly someone who “hasn’t done shit”!!

Spot on @Portland Bill, knowing how players proceed through the Chelsea system, I'd agree with you that he's doing pretty well as a 21 year old. Gaining a lot of experience abroad is exactly what he should be doing now.

@TBW

He may or may not become a big thing, but he certainly has done way more than your appraisal of his career to date.

I've watched it a few times, I thought he tries to block the ball, which he comes away with. If you toggle backwards and forwards it's hard to tell what he gets first, but from the clip it looks fairly clean.
My problem is with the Ref. Initially he turns to follow play up field, why? It shows it's not a knee jerk reaction , normally a Ref seems to stare at the incident while deciding. To turn as though to play on is odd. Did he get a shout from the Line? That would be odd too, Ref far closer.  If VAR got involved , maybe, but to start to move away then change your mind? To suddenly decide it's worthy of a Red, wrong IMO. 
That Ribery seems to jump the contact, only to go down like he's been shot is another question.