IGNORED

Benarous

GrahamC

40 minutes ago, Offside said:

I agree he struggled today. A surprising substitution and a massive gamble to bring him in in such a high pressure game. I would have thought that if NP doesn’t trust the likes of players like COD, then Scott would have been a more obvious choice seeing as he has impressed so far and we badly needed someone to hold onto the ball. 

Postives - it was good to see Benarous run at them with the ball (we don’t do that enough) and he took it into the corner to buy time when some of our other players seemed intent on giving them the ball. 

FWIW I think we missed Bakinson when he went off. 

I thought Bakinson did ok today….he was manhandled a lot and will need to stop getting muscled off it in tight spots.  But he did okay.

17 minutes ago, Dredd said:

Without knowing too much about him admittedly, is wide right his natural position? If not seems strange playing out out of position, in front of an also relatively experienced Tanner. I don’t think today was the right game for him to come in to. 
However to throw a big positive out there I was delighted to see him do what several senior pros have failed to do this season from a winning position and manage the game. Booted the ball away a couple of times, and twice looked to run the ball into the corner (I maintain we would have won a couple of games already if we were better at this). 

Left footed…but often plays right wing or right of a forward three.

• Like 1

Wasn’t there today but it sounds like it was a baptism of fire. Bottom line is he’ll either learn from it and get to the standard needed, or he won’t.

But we got the win so no harm done from his learning curve. Hopefully he will now understand a bit more about the step up in quality required and use that to develop and push himself forward. 

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

I thought Bakinson did ok today….he was manhandled a lot and will need to stop getting muscled off it in tight spots.  But he did okay.

Left footed…but often plays right wing or right of a forward three.

I'll be honest and I'm sure many will disagree but I thought James was very poor today, Massengo did not hit his normal heights (although that can be a high bar) and Bakinson actually did alright for me when you consider he had James alongside him who had a bit of a mare imo. Great pass for Wells which really should have resulted in a third goal whether that be from Wells himself or a tap in from a squared ball.

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, RoystonFoote'snephew said:

Not an easy start for the kid but he will from the experience. It would have helped if he wasn't tackled by his own team mates. 

You can see there is something to work with but the lad will need to be managed very carefully. He's not the biggest and in this league there will be occasions where he gets chewed up and spat out. That's already happened with Scott on at least one occasion this season when he got hooked after half an hour.........and Scott has got plenty of ability. 

• Like 1

At the time he was brought on City was being overrun in midfield and Barnsley was creating a lot of chances that were somehow missed. Benarous is a skilful player but, at this stage of career, he’s not a player who can strengthen the midfield in this sort of match. So, to me, a strange substitution 

2 hours ago, GrahamC said:

I don’t want to knock the kid, but how much off the standard was he?

Could see a case for taking him back off, so weak and letting his man go repeatedly.

It was like playing with 10 men, not sure he made a single positive contribution.

Have to agree. I’ve never watched him before but isn’t he a attacking midfielder ? He seemed very left footed but ended up playing right wing /wing back . Very risky sub imo. Bakinson wasn’t having the best of games although better than he has been. still a strange one . I like a midfield 3 but we were wide open far too much . Very happy with the win & will celebrate it but we got mountains to climb 

Edited by steviestevieneville
  • Like 1

From where I sat Barnsley were, if not running riot, certainly having the better of things down both our left and right, and for large chunks of the game. Playing 3 in midfield plus Weimann made us really unbalanced, and (this might be unpopular) Bakinson and HNM seemed to be leaving large gaps behind them. So whether young Ayman or anybody else came on the structure was wrong.

Big call by Pearson, mind.

2 hours ago, Davefevs said:

I thought Martin should’ve come off too…needed Bell’s legs to chase stuff down.

I am very concerned as we go forward into a season which is vitally important to the future of this football club, to see that NP has absolutely no apparent idea on how to use substitutes effectively and  correctly  IMHO.

1 hour ago, Dullmoan Tone said:

Or he is trying to make a point (rather like Cottrill did, but slightly differently) about only having these available because he doesn't trust the more senior pro's?

A very strange time.......when we are holding on to try to achieve our first home win since the signing of the Magna Carta.....to make his point, strange indeed?

37 minutes ago, Numero Uno said:

I'll be honest and I'm sure many will disagree but I thought James was very poor today, Massengo did not hit his normal heights (although that can be a high bar) and Bakinson actually did alright for me when you consider he had James alongside him who had a bit of a mare imo. Great pass for Wells which really should have resulted in a third goal whether that be from Wells himself or a tap in from a squared ball.

Agree with all of that no1.  Massengo not very disciplined at times….but more encouraging signs he can offer more in the attacking third.  Great pass to Martin for the second goal, another to Wells second half which was not offside.

22 minutes ago, steveybadger said:

From where I sat Barnsley were, if not running riot, certainly having the better of things down both our left and right, and for large chunks of the game. Playing 3 in midfield plus Weimann made us really unbalanced, and (this might be unpopular) Bakinson and HNM seemed to be leaving large gaps behind them. So whether young Ayman or anybody else came on the structure was wrong.

Big call by Pearson, mind.

The 4312-diamond didn’t really work without the ball, balls going back and forth negating Weimann, meaning their wingbacks could play high and with nobody on them.  We got away with that, but I guess you can argue that they lost Weimann twice and it cost them.  Swings and roundabouts…..but 3rd man runners (like Weimann) beat a high line easily with well timed runs.

I said earlier in this thread that it was tough for him today and in interview he thought he could have done better, but the club and more importantly the management feel that he is a level headed young man who will only learn from his experience. They certainly seem to have more faith in him, and Scott and Bell, than they do in Palmer and Vyner who can't make the bench. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, GrahamC said:

I don’t want to knock the kid, but how much off the standard was he?

Could see a case for taking him back off, so weak and letting his man go repeatedly.

It was like playing with 10 men, not sure he made a single positive contribution.

Embarrassing how our ‘fans’ write a player off on 25 minutes, wasn’t the most complete performance, however it’s a start and hopefully more to come, plenty of energy and if you listened to his interview you’ll see he’s level headed enough to recognise his personal performance wasn’t at the level he wanted/expected. 

We’ve got some good young lads that will no doubt come good, fans have to play there part with a bit of reality abs patience. 

• Like 8

24 minutes ago, The Bard said:

For someone miles off of it he did quite a lot.

He wasn't great but frankly he wasn't helped by his team mates. 

I will remind the original poster of this in the years to come.  I think he's got a future

I haven't heard Pearson wax lyrical about any of our players like he did about Ayman pre- and post-match. Lee Johnson also named him as "the" player coming through the Academy that would have a big future in the game.

He was the only category 2 Academy player called up to England under 17s, in a squad which included the likes of Harvey Elliott and Louie Barry. 

So, yes, he is a player of huge potential and personally I'm glad he's had that experience today because he'll be a better player for it. 

• Like 16
  • Thanks 1
  • Flames 1

This young lad scored 3 cracking goals for the under 23s in their last match and has been playing very well. He's earnt his chance but this was a difficult match with the team under pressure to win at home. Hope he stays in the first team squad and gets on for 20 in the next match. 

First chance with the first team, a bit green but full of running, did not shy away from a challenge!

2 underperforming forwards decided to make sure he did not outshine them - I think he was a breath of fresh air and well deserved his first chance.

Great time to get a slagging from some supporters! How many times was Wells caught offside again and because of that how many chances went begging?

put the blame where it belongs! 

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, dave36 said:

First chance with the first team, a bit green but full of running, did not shy away from a challenge!

2 underperforming forwards decided to make sure he did not outshine them - I think he was a breath of fresh air and well deserved his first chance.

Great time to get a slagging from some supporters! How many times was Wells caught offside again and because of that how many chances went begging?

put the blame where it belongs! 

Well said Dave.  Once again OTIB rushes to the court of instant judgement.  Ridiculous.  Let’s see what the lad looks like after he’s had a run of games.

• Like 3

Can’t see that @GrahamChas said anything wrong here. Outmuscled in his first challenge on the pitch which set the tone for the rest of his 25 minutes on the pitch.  He’s looking at his performance today objectively. 

BUT he’s clearly highly rated and hopefully has a bright future in the game, ideally in our red and white.  It’s great to see the players coming through the academy and playing for the first team. Some will make it, some won’t. Would like to see Him get more game time so we can see properly what he can do. Same as the likes of Bell, Conway etc. 

COYR

• Flames 1

10 minutes ago, SuperDziek said:

Can’t see that @GrahamChas said anything wrong here. Outmuscled in his first challenge on the pitch which set the tone for the rest of his 25 minutes on the pitch.  He’s looking at his performance today objectively. 

BUT he’s clearly highly rated and hopefully has a bright future in the game, ideally in our red and white.  It’s great to see the players coming through the academy and playing for the first team. Some will make it, some won’t. Would like to see Him get more game time so we can see properly what he can do. Same as the likes of Bell, Conway etc. 

COYR

I thought he did make some positive contributions, accepting that view is subjective rather than objective. We were a lot further up the pitch than in recent similar scenarios, that wasn’t him alone, but he was part of it. Also helped keep things in the corner in the very dying embers. Looked energetic and positive. Also made mistakes and was out of position at times (see rest of team for ditto). Nothing astonishing, but in my view, a lot better than the OP’s view. 

3 hours ago, cidered abroad said:

How many of the members of this forum can remember the debut of a seventeen year old, still skinny and very raw in football terms? I can't remember his name but he did have one or two tidy games for two City's.

Well you could be seeing the beginnings of another one!

I assume you are referring to Gerry Gow - Bristol and Manchester City.

Gerry was certainly skinny and raw when he made his first team debut, but I would suggest that GG and AB are (were) somewhat different characters - Gerry was always a confident, brash even, hard man, especially as part of that wonderful youth team, whereas I perceive AS as being more of a skilful, graceful player; not to say that GG wasn't skilful.

3 hours ago, Alan Dicks said:

Tom Ritchie?

He only played for one City, albeit twice.

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, redsquirrel said:

other teams know scott,o dowda etc and how to mark them,bring on benarous and they have to be careful until they suss him out. good to see him come on,now knows he wont rot in the u23s

Not sure we have a policy of letting players "rot" in the u23s - Anything but IMO.

15 minutes ago, JonDolman said:

Probably not his most suited role but yeah agree thought Bakinson wasn't bad today. Looks a bit fitter to me. Won a lot of headers too in the middle of the park.

Yep but he seems to be the fall guy with people. I know why Pearson kept James on (because he wouldn't want Bakinson trying to do James job) BUT James was having a mare and it affected both Massengo who was only at 80% today imo and Bakinson who was certainly nowhere near the worst of the performers on that pitch today and played our ONLY quality pass of the second 45 minutes.

• Like 2

50 minutes ago, SuperDziek said:

COYR

It's about management with these young players, something I think Pearson is very good at for all the criticism he gets on here by a few. I think we will see Scott affecting games come the end of the season and it's right that he is being eased in so that he reaches that level.

• Like 1

Just now, JonDolman said:

Yeah Bakinson has got a lot of quality and I am glad he's still here because if he can improve in the areas that need improving then he could become a real talent. 

The funny thing is start of last season in his first ever championship games he looked comfortable and a reliable midfielder to me. 

Today was more like it in how he worked for the team and wasn't sloppy in possession either so he is improving.

I don't think Nige trusts him just yet, stamina wise, to do it for 90 minutes but the fact he started him is a step forward.

1 hour ago, Jasper Testimitanu said:

Embarrassing how our ‘fans’ write a player off on 25 minutes, wasn’t the most complete performance, however it’s a start and hopefully more to come, plenty of energy and if you listened to his interview you’ll see he’s level headed enough to recognise his personal performance wasn’t at the level he wanted/expected. 

We’ve got some good young lads that will no doubt come good, fans have to play there part with a bit of reality abs patience. 

I don’t think anyone is writing off Benarous.  People are questioning the substitution, with some justification given the state of the game at the time.  He is hardly the first youngster to look out of his depth on his debut, but given the way Scott has performed, for instance, his introduction seems bizarre.  I hope he goes on to be a very good player for us but sadly it was far from a memorable debut, and it might have cost us dear.

• Like 2