IGNORED

Andreas Weimann

Davefevs

17 minutes ago, petehinton said:

A goal contribution every 3.5 games over a 4 season period in a team that can’t create or score for shit. 

God knows where we’d be without him this season. 

Yep, there was a pass in the first half that wouldn’t have looked out of place in park’s football.

Yet with 5 minutes to go he was still busting a gut to get challenges in playing wide left.

Great pro (& top scorer).

• Like 7

20 minutes ago, Major Isewater said:

Most of us are happy to have a team of players who will bust a gut for the shirt. We accept that they are rarely world beaters otherwise they wouldn’t be with us.

Interesting - did you see that today?

HNM aside, I didn't think the closing down (outside defence) was visible - Martin was static and hardly putting in a shift, Bakinson wasn't even trying to cover and close down in the the middle of the pitch and James was hardly putting it about. I thought very few players bust anything today aside from Pring's foot?  

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

53 minutes ago, Henry said:

Before he scored, I would have taken him off at half time. I’m not sure of him in the number 10 role. He lacks the composure and the pass to play there IMO.

Me too, but have to say two very composed finishes for once. In contrast to Wells sky'ing it over the bar with about 15 mins to go, then taking the ball of benarous toe when he was about to shoot.

He came to City because LJ said he would be played as a central striker. Since then he’s been played in that position, wide right, central midfield and just about anywhere in midfield or up front. There must be a reason for this. Perhaps it’s because he brings  a lot to the team 

• Like 5

1 hour ago, Major Isewater said:

Who else can we have a go at ?

:disapointed2se:

Most of us are happy to have a team of players who will bust a gut for the shirt. We accept that they are rarely world beaters otherwise they wouldn’t be with us.

AW has some moments of class , like those two , well taken, goals today but always gives his all and , although , nobody is above criticism can’t we just say ‘ well done ‘ to ALL who put in a shift today in a high pressure match that we had to win? 

This 

1 hour ago, Major Isewater said:

Who else can we have a go at ?

:disapointed2se:

AW has some moments of class , like those two , well taken, goals today but always gives his all and , although , nobody is above criticism can’t we just say ‘ well done ‘ to ALL who put in a shift today in a high pressure match that we had to win? 

I get all of that but that particular level of performance today is not sustainable however hard the players work. When you think about it applauding a player for "putting in a shift" is about as feint as praise gets. Whilst we know what a job Nige has on his plate we do have players running about out there who are picking up £20K plus per week and there is no way that those particular players should be getting a free ride from anyone or be excused for having piss poor standards just because we were so desperate for a win. These guys need to be setting an example to the younger players in the squad and lately it's not been happening. Turning up in an attacking sense for literally a few minutes out of 100 on a regular basis will lose you games week-in and week-out. It's not even an argument.

The Manager clearly recognised the level of our performance in his post-match interview and I wouldn't mind betting that the majority of the players out on that field today with the red shirt on will be gone in the next 18 months...........most out of choice by the Manager as much as necessity to bring in funds. We were all desperate for the win and most of us realise that the Manager needs to be given time but you'll have to excuse me for missing out the platitudes after getting ******* battered by Barnsley for 96 minutes out of 100 and hanging on to an undeserved win (but a win is a win so fair enough on the effort side of it), a Barnsley side that will be lucky to get near 10 wins this season - no, I'll save that for when they put a decent performance on the table - hopefully Tuesday.

42 minutes ago, JonDolman said:

It would be interesting to have seen Weimann and Wells up there today though if we have a suitable player in behind, there was so much space in behind their back line. I think certain teams suit Weimann up top more than others, and Barnsley might have been one of them with their high line. We still have not seen that Wells and Weimann combination under Pearson. A couple of times under LJ.

When Martin is getting bullied, getting nothing from the referee, getting little service apart from long balls, you e really got to question whether it’s worth having him on the pitch (apart from goal-line clearances!).  There were different options available today that would have improved what we had out there from an hour onwards.

And as you say getting Weimann alongside Wells and a someone like Scott on would've been better.

42 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

When Martin is getting bullied, getting nothing from the referee, getting little service apart from long balls, you e really got to question whether it’s worth having him on the pitch (apart from goal-line clearances!).  There were different options available today that would have improved what we had out there from an hour onwards.

And as you say getting Weimann alongside Wells and a someone like Scott on would've been better.

Honestly believe he only stayed on for defensive duties & we can’t be picking a forward based on that.  This isn’t an anti Martin post as seen him play very well this season but we needed energy & was out on his feet.

• Like 1

57 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

Have to have a target man for direct style football.

Their 2 CHs today were absolute monsters !

13 minutes ago, VT05763 said:

Have to have a target man for direct style football.

Their 2 CHs today were absolute monsters !

Therein lies the problem. Barnsley had two big centre halves and City kept hitting long balls to 5’ 10” tall Martin who can’t jump very high. As Albert Einstein said:

”The definition of insanity is doing the same thing over and over again and expecting a different result.”

• Like 1