IGNORED

The Bristol Pitbulls

The Nest Egg

Yep, after nine years in exile, Bristol's ice hockey team finally has a home.

First game is tonight against Romford; delighted to say that there's a pretty big queue outside the new Planet Ice rink! (shout out to the bloke who said 'it's a bigger queue than the Gas get!' as he walked past me.

Currently we are quite low down the league although have at least seven (!) games in hand due to the delayed opening of the rink. But who cares, we're here now!

Anyone who hasn't seen ice hockey before; go. It's a pretty unique spectacle and a nice foil for those who may be becoming disillusioned with modern football...

Edited by Newquay-Red

14 hours ago, Newquay-Red said:

Yep, after nine years in exile, Bristol's ice hockey team finally has a home.

First game is tonight against Romford; delighted to say that there's a pretty big queue outside the new Planet Ice rink! (shout out to the bloke who said 'it's a bigger queue than the Gas get!' as he walked past me.

Currently we are quite low down the league although have at least seven (!) games in hand due to the delayed opening of the rink. But who cares, we're here now!

Anyone who hasn't seen ice hockey before; go. It's a pretty unique spectacle and a nice foil for those who may be becoming disillusioned with modern football...

SL will be pricking up his ears at that, something to add to the Bristol Sport umbrella?

What's the pricing like?

3 hours ago, Port Said Red said:

SL will be pricking up his ears at that, something to add to the Bristol Sport umbrella?

What's the pricing like?

£12 adults, £7 kids.  Their website is dire. Frustratingly they aren’t selling tickets past today’s game. If tickets for their next 3-4 home games were online I would now be buying two tickets to one of them!

• Thanks 1

7 hours ago, And Its Smith said:

£12 adults, £7 kids.  Their website is dire. Frustratingly they aren’t selling tickets past today’s game. If tickets for their next 3-4 home games were online I would now be buying two tickets to one of them!

You are not wrong.Website is practically illegible. 

Two questions.

• How many is a sellout crowd? I've not been to the new ice rink.
  • Why do the Pitbulls social media have them actually as 'The Bristol Pitbulls' instead of just Bristol Pitbulls? Be a bit weird if the Bears, Flyers, New Jersey Devils, New York Rangers etc. did that, no?

9 hours ago, And Its Smith said:

Pretty easy to sign up to Eventbrite and get tickets up online too. Strange they've had so long to get a system up and not just used one that already exists in the short-term.

/EDIT

Just found the ticketing page, but it was not AT ALL easy or natural to find. What a terrible website and only having one game at a time on there? Genius.

Edited by TBW

6 hours ago, And Its Smith said:

Hopefully it improves. They should have videos on there explaining some of the rules as well. The average person isn’t going to know what offside is in ice hockey or icing, for example 

Even the text in that weird blue lettering.Very strange choice.

7 hours ago, Mr X said:

Are you able to have a beer when watching? 

Yep 

2 hours ago, OneTeamInBristol said:

Looking on the website it seems to suggest they have a game on Sat 13th Nov and then another one the next day?

Is this correct? 

I've never watched an ice hockey game in my life but think I will attend one in the next couple of weeks. As others have asked can you buy tickets on the day?

The second team usually play on the same weekend; they will be listed as the 'Bristol Pitbulls 2'. Hopefully the website will improve in time 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, OneTeamInBristol said:

Looking on the website it seems to suggest they have a game on Sat 13th Nov and then another one the next day?

Is this correct? 

I've never watched an ice hockey game in my life but think I will attend one in the next couple of weeks. As others have asked can you buy tickets on the day?

I don't think there is POTD at present, depends on how many will continue watching once the novelty of a new team wears off. 

I've included a basic rules guide here; 

It does a really good job of describing the fundamentals. 

I cannot recommend the game enough. It's certainly all left on the ice, that's for sure! I don't think that fighting is part of our league although it kicked off a few times on Saturday between teams; good to see its got that edge 

5 hours ago, OneTeamInBristol said:

Looking at the pictures from Saturday's game it seemed that large portions of the stadium were cordoned off?

Not sure if the venue isn't quite finished yet or whether it's due to no nets in front of the two goals or something similar?

It's for the safety certificate; they can't be at full capacity until a few games in at least.

That side also still had paint drying and needed a little bit of work. They will be putting the second net in as they're allowed to have more people, I'm guessing 

Edited by Newquay-Red
  • Like 1