IGNORED

Downsy

Henry

7 hours ago, richwwtk said:

My problem with Downsy is the hyping up of everything all the time. I don't need to be reminded that I am there to see the boys in red, I don't need to be told that the kickoff is coming up next, I don't need to be told that my 'heroes' are in the tunnel and will be out soon, I don't need to be told who we are playing. All of it in an over excited voice. Also, please stop telling us we are special fans in some way. We are not. 

The replacement on Monday was a lot more measured and a damn sight better for it. 

Especially with how terrible we’ve been at home for god knows how long. It’s very annoying hearing all that when you know what’s coming…

On 20/04/2022 at 20:44, Henry said:

Seen this on Facebook and then obviously on Twitter, hilarious. Don’t think he said anything out of line mind but there is a part clearly muted. 

8 hours ago, 2015 said:

He's crap that's why.

Tim Shires the previous man on the tannoy was got rid of was far better and a big City fan. Exactly the same with Adam Baker.

I’m personally not a fan, don’t think he has the connection with the City fans, would want him to stick to the rugby and have Toby Osbourne or a City fan on announcements.

Tim Shires and Adam Baker had completely different roles to him though

1 hour ago, OddBallJim said:

Not a fan of Downsy, much preferred David Lloyd and also his immediate predecessor (unsure of the name) circa 2003-2005 who did the massively elongated “come on you redssssssss” before kick off. Much better.

Why be so precious over a hat? :dunno:

Probably due to his lack of hair I’d imagine 

On 21/04/2022 at 14:31, richwwtk said:

Plus, sack whoever played Blackbird after a home win a few games back, just for good measure ?

What’s wrong with “Blackbird”?! The boys down at Somerset CCC play it, and sing it, after a victory and so do the Bears - a classic West Country ditty - what have you got against it?

Edited by BS4 on Tour...
  • Like 1

18 minutes ago, BS4 on Tour... said:

What’s wrong with “Blackbird”?! The boys down at Somerset CCC play it, and sing it, after a victory and so do the Bears - a classic West Country ditty - what have you got against it?

No problem with the Blackbird song but shouldn't it be "Drink up thy cider" for us when we win?

• Like 4
  • Flames 1

Go on then, seems like we all get to voice an opinion here, so my turn.

Does the enthusiasm appeal to me on the mic? No. But I don't imagine I am the target audience.

A huge number of us here won't be excited by someone trying to drum up the crowd, we are all way too cynical and have likely made our minds up as to how City will perform before we have finished our last pre match pint.

The kids on the other hand, seem to like his enthusiasm, they are the ones who enjoy being gee-d up and get more excited as kick off approaches.

Not a fan, just try and ignore it, in the same way you probably tune out listening to commercial radio when the ads start.

If you do enjoy it, then great.

Aside from having about a dozen different people delivering the same message before the game with their own take on things, they will never appeal to everyone.

Trying to remember the name of the fella who was pitch side when I was a teen, almost constantly trying to move tickets for a club quiz or something, proper city fan, absolutely; professional mic controller? Undoubtedly not.

Like red lights at a junction, some things you just need to accept. 

Does the enthusiasm appeal to me on the mic? No. But I don't imagine I am the target audience.

A huge number of us here won't be excited by someone trying to drum up the crowd, we are all way too cynical and have likely made our minds up as to how City will perform before we have finished our last pre match pint.

The kids on the other hand, seem to like his enthusiasm, they are the ones who enjoy being gee-d up and get more excited as kick off approaches.

Not a fan, just try and ignore it, in the same way you probably tune out listening to commercial radio when the ads start.

Aside from having about a dozen different people delivering the same message before the game with their own take on things, they will never appeal to everyone.

Trying to remember the name of the fella who was pitch side when I was a teen, almost constantly trying to move tickets for a club quiz or something, proper city fan, absolutely; professional mic controller? Undoubtedly not.

(Maybe I was thinking of Mike Lewis).

• Like 2

6 hours ago, BS4 on Tour... said:

Nothing wrong with the song at all, but for as long as I can remember it's been Drink Up Thy Cider when we win and Blackbird when we don't.

• Like 3

6 hours ago, Bristol Rob said:

I get exactly what you're saying and I've tried to ignore him, I really have, but something about his presenting style just grates. You say it's like ads on the radio, I never listen to commercial radio precisely because of the ads and the excitable overhyped presentation style they all use, I don't even watch TV with ads if I can avoid it. Trouble is I can't choose to not go to City. 

Also, I have never seen a kid getting enthusiastic because of his style. Mine hate it, but that might be my influence of course. 

• Like 3

8 hours ago, BS4 on Tour... said:

Only City should be allowed to play it, anywhere else it makes me feel queasy.

*the fact that I support Glos CCC and Glos RFC is nothing to do with it ?

Just once, it would be good to see somebody lose higher or lower (not for the kiddie involved of course but I would happily pay for the same prize for him/her just to see it). As others have said, I'm far from the target audience, but the four youngsters I bring with me love it all

3 minutes ago, semblar said:

Just once, it would be good to see somebody lose higher or lower (not for the kiddie involved of course but I would happily pay for the same prize for him/her just to see it). As others have said, I'm far from the target audience, but the four youngsters I bring with me love it all

I agree with you about higher or lower, and that doesn't bother me too much as it is obviously for the kids. It would be funny though, just for once, to see a contestant with a bit of nous about them trying to deliberately lose.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, richwwtk said:

I agree with you about higher or lower, and that doesn't bother me too much as it is obviously for the kids. It would be funny though, just for once, to see a contestant with a bit of nous about them trying to deliberately lose.

"...and it's a 1 - higher or lower?"

"Lower!"

?

• Like 1

7 hours ago, richwwtk said:

I’m sure someone lost last season.