IGNORED

Downsy

Henry

Just now, S25loyal said:

Ah, the great “I’m alright jack” attitude.

Racism only affects a small portion of the UK population, does that not matter either? 

Covid only kills a small % does that not matter? 

There’s a massive list of what only affects a small %, that many don’t care about, that doesn’t mean it’s ok.

What a wonderful outlook you have. 

Or the no one in the video is offended by it most probably think it’s funny! 
its the I’m not going to get offended on someone else’s behalf because I’ve got nothing better to do! 

And yes none of it matters racism is a societal problem and can be solved by kneeling on a football pitch, it’s needs investment in education on the matter and lots of time as racism is no where near as bad as it was 40 years ago give it another 40 years it’ll be even better perhaps not perfect but who’s cares I’ll be dead! 
 And as for COVID I’ve had it stayed in and isolated like I was supposed too and no it wasn’t that bad to be fair! 

In short you can’t solve the worlds problems by sitting behind a keyboard in forum for average championship side! 

• Confused 1

6 hours ago, S25loyal said:

Your last part, of course it wouldn’t be, as he wouldn’t be sexualising other employees/humans. 

You are basically saying, it’s fine for a male to do that on other males, but not males on other females etc. 

No, no I'm not.

7 minutes ago, Wiltshire robin said:

On the Twitter thread people are saying he did a few sackable things in his first season. Anyone know what that’s all about?.

Was just reading that myself.  Not got a clue but to be honest I don’t think I’ve ever heard anything he “announces” - that may be more to do with the speakers in the Dolman mind!

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Wiltshire robin said:

On the Twitter thread people are saying he did a few sackable things in his first season. Anyone know what that’s all about?.

I think he asked a young female child if she came to watch the players with nice legs….or something like that.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Riaz said:

Had some young kids on the pitch at half time and ask them which team team they support… when representing city ??‍♂️??‍♂️??‍♂️
He was like “Man Utd? Liverpool”

No ya doughnut, they are here to support city.. your employers ?

Surely that’s the point…get them to reply, “no, I support Bristol City!”

The blokes a professional broadcaster and has openly admitted that he is a rugby man at heart. The football side was added to his duties and he clearly struggled with it certainly early on. He did a lot of work on that, coming to away games for example, to try and get into what he sees as a different mindset among the fans. There are a lot of fans that would rather have some local fan who had never used a microphone before, learning to be a broadcaster, than someone who is learning to be a "football fan".

For this, he has always had a negative press on here, I think that a lot of that is to do with the average age of this forum, because his role is a) More aimed at the kids and b) He is seen as an example of the modern game that is less acceptable.

Personally, I think the original tweet was lets say "misjudged", but the reaction of some people seems to be motivated by their overall view of him, rather than the tweet itself. An opportunity to perhaps get him replaced, who knows? As always though, those with an agenda will be quick to deny it.

• Like 3

7 minutes ago, Port Said Red said:

The blokes a professional broadcaster and has openly admitted that he is a rugby man at heart. The football side was added to his duties and he clearly struggled with it certainly early on. He did a lot of work on that, coming to away games for example, to try and get into what he sees as a different mindset among the fans. There are a lot of fans that would rather have some local fan who had never used a microphone before, learning to be a broadcaster, than someone who is learning to be a "football fan".

For this, he has always had a negative press on here, I think that a lot of that is to do with the average age of this forum, because his role is a) More aimed at the kids and b) He is seen as an example of the modern game that is less acceptable.

Personally, I think the original tweet was lets say "misjudged", but the reaction of some people seems to be motivated by their overall view of him, rather than the tweet itself. An opportunity to perhaps get him replaced, who knows? As always though, those with an agenda will be quick to deny it.

I wont deny it. I'd love for him to be replaced. Nothing personal. Just dont think he's a good presenter. I mute the TV at half time when i'm watching robins TV

• Like 8

56 minutes ago, IdliketoRogerMoore said:

Some people (by that I mean like 2) have got upset on behalf of a group of rugby players (who don’t care and probably aren’t aware why this is even a issue, just like everybody else!)

Given your user name, one might have thought that you would have a more nuanced contribution to this thread ?

• Haha 2

1 minute ago, Riaz said:

I wont deny it. I'd love for him to be replaced. Nothing personal. Just dont think he's a good presenter. I mute the TV at half time when i'm watching robins TV

He's not as bad as he was a couple of seasons ago, but he is still awful compared to just about every announcer we have had previously.

It's an interesting discussion, I can see both sides of it.

I'm sure the Rugby lads aren't bothered in any way, and without the emojis I don't see any issue with the video.

Some will say if a male employee reacted like that to a video of the women's team it would probably cause more of a stir. As @LondonBristolian rightly pointed out, there's a history to the leering and sexualisation of women, and the discussion of their looks over their ability that often happens.

At best, it's unprofessional from him IMO, and his reaction to the keyboard warriors hasn't helped him really.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, LondonBristolian said:

First off, what Downsy has done is inappropriate. It is inappropriate for a member of staff/representative of the club to be or appear to be sexualising other employees. Absolutely no doubt on that.

However I completely disagree that him doing this is identical to if a male member of staff did it to female athletes/sportswomen. There are two key differences.

1) Generally speaking, male athletes/sportsmen tend to be talked about in the media and on social media in terms of their ability and merit whereas there is a long history of female athletes in the media or social media being talked about primarily in terms of their attractiveness with their sporting ability being ignored or trivialised. Yes, Downsy is objectifying male athletes but he isn't contributing to a continual narrative of sportswomen's achievements being trivialised or ignored in the way that people are when they objectify women.

2) As we've seen in US Gymnastics, US Football and in aspects of the women's game here, there is a long and unfortunate history of female athletes being exploited or abused by male coaches or other employees. A female footballer who is leered at (in person or on social media) by a male employee has utterly reasonable grounds to fear for her own safety as that male employee may well be bigger than her and able to physically assault her if she is alone with them. The rugby players may find Downsy's comments uncomfortable or inappropriate - and should of course complain if they do so - but is unlikely any of them will physically fear Downsy, which a sportswoman might reasonably do.

I absolutely agree someone should remind Downsy of the expectations for a member of staff and, if a member of the rugby team chose to complain, that should be taken seriously. But I think drawing a direct equivalence to lewd comments made about women ignores both the actual level of physical danger women may feel when drooled over by men and also the historical exploitation and oppression that plays into. Neither are right but nor are they equivalent. 

Very well put.

One thing I would add is that to me this is a classic double standard.

Just because in this case the male on male objectification Carry's less threat than the Male on female objectification you describe doesn't mean it is acceptable. It isn't.  

Do straight female employees or women who work in Rugby tweet like that?  No.  They aren't fools and want to be taken seriously. They would've probably experienced the sexism and objectification themselves in all likelihood that this ***** clearly hasn't. 

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, The Bard said:

Very well put.

One thing I would add is that to me this is a classic double standard.

Just because in this case the male on male objectification Carry's less threat than the Male on female objectification you describe doesn't mean it is acceptable. It isn't.  

Do straight female employees or women who work in Rugby tweet like that?  No.  They aren't fools and want to be taken seriously. They would've probably experienced the sexism and objectification themselves in all likelihood that this ***** clearly hasn't. 

I'd also add whether it would be acceptable for a lesbian employee to tweet about the women's team in the same manner? (Just to be fair)

9 hours ago, Riaz said:

Had some young kids on the pitch at half time and ask them which team team they support… when representing city ??‍♂️??‍♂️??‍♂️
He was like “Man Utd? Liverpool”

No ya doughnut, they are here to support city.. your employers ?

An absolute prat isn't he. How the hell is he still in the job 5 years later, he is one of the reasons match days at AG have gone downhill so quickly as well.

Needs his marching orders as I'm sick of hearing his annoying man child style voice

Edited by 2015
  • Like 2

19 minutes ago, Tomo said:

Unprofessional behavior full stop and he's made it worse by reacting to fans suggesting they meet him 'for a coffee at the stadium' 

He should have immediately deleted his post and realised his actions. 

He is on thin ice imo. 

All he needs to do is apologise if any offence caused, then don't do it again. Why be stubborn?

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, 2015 said:

An absolute prat isn't he. How the hell is he still in the job 5 years later, he is one of the reasons match days at AG have gone downhill so quickly as well.

Needs his marching orders as I'm sick of hearing his annoying man child style voice

I think they intentionally recruited someone who will appeal to kids so you're probably not supposed to like his man child style.

• Thanks 1