IGNORED

Nigel’s post match thoughts

HappyClapper

1 hour ago, JonDolman said:

Yeah it just seems so inconsistent. The general belief for Holden and any manager we have ever had after just having one window is, if we look rubbish on the pitch then they are largely blamed. They pick the team, they tell them how to play on the pitch.

With Pearson it seems the rules have changed because he is popular. I think it's fine to say he's proven I back him, I back him too believe it or not. I wouldn't sack him, I want him to be here and be successful.

But I expect there's many who have moved the goalposts from we look rubbish, Holden is clueless. To we look rubbish, god what a difficult job this is for Pearson! ?

I'm only as critical of Pearson as I am any other manager. I haven't been that impressed so far. Otherwise it wouldn't be fair on Holden and the others who I would also criticise!

Yep. And even those early games he had some missing.

Baker out for the season, Mawson not fit.

Kalas then gets injured, Mawson then back and plays with Moore and Vyner. Mawson then bad injury, Kalas returns.

So pretty much all season never having 2 of his 3 main centre backs available at the same time. That alone is bad.

He also didn't have Dasilva or Williams from the start. It was far from ideal but blimey how bad things got after that!

Agree Jon….people are not consistent with how they build their opinions.

Dean made mistakes imho, but what manager hasn’t.  I’ve often said that 352 is an “all-in” system, and in our case was really dependent on a few key players….who got injured.  Mawson and Weimann in particular.  Mawson the solid defender but classy builder from the back. Weimann the link-man.  We couldn’t recreate that at the back, nor in midfield….and the subsequent switch to a back 4 (necessary) had players not really suited, or played out of position.

In many respects, Nige is still dealing with that, trying to fix it.  And nor am I implying it’s all Dean’s fault, far from it.  It goes back further.

That is why Nige gets my patience….he certainly gets my critique for what happens on the pitch, but I think he gets big praise for the non-90 minutes stuff.  He’s trying to rebuild on and off the pitch.  Once again, no idea of the personal dynamics, but Holden with Pearson would’ve been a good combo.  Essentially we’ve lacked a football-rudder in the club to steer it in the right direction.  Ashton is not a football-person (and you know what I mean by that), he is a football-business person.

I hope that Nige at some point gets to ease back, because I do think the modern game has changed, but I think he will eventually hand over first team footballing matters in a far better place than he took over.

• Like 2