IGNORED

George Tanner

ohhhshauntaylor

2 minutes ago, Merrick's Marvels said:

If he wasn't playing as his manager instructed him to do, he'd have been hauled off. How do we know this? Because that's exactly what happened the week before!

So I'd have thought that tucking in, playing close to Kalas, and leaving space out wide was, in fact, exactly what his manager had instructed him to do. 

Pring was doing exactly the same on the other side. Further evidence, if it were needed, that our full backs weren't having "a shocker" at all. 

As for "hoofing the ball forward" - presumably you missed the fact that, rather a lot of the time, our full backs had no-one available to pass to other than a ball down the line aimed at Chris Martin (in case you hadn't noticed, this has been our default way of playing since day 1 of this season).

My amateur analysis is that our full-backs often had no-one to pass for numerous reasons -  the way Barnsley set up, the fact we played with no width at all, the fact Bakinson is frequently a passenger, the fact Massengo's attempts to cover every blade of grass on the pitch, at least twice, means he ends up anywhere but central midfield, and Matty James can't be everywhere at once.          

So if anyone's had a shocker... 

All very interesting to hear your opinion but it is no more correct than mine is.

The fact that Nige was verbally helping and encouraging Tanner during the second half would indicate that he thought he needed a bit of guidance from the first half.

Why does Prings performance have anything to do with Tanners? One of them having a good game and one of them improving as the game goes on are not mutually exclusive. Funnily enough it can happen.

Your 'amateur analysis' as you say is exactly that - just your inexperienced opinion, no more correct or incorrect than anyone else's on here. No need to get so offended and protective of certain players. 

• Haha 1

On 30/10/2021 at 22:41, ohhhshauntaylor said:

Given what happened (unfairly IMO) last weekend, I think George deserved a thread for today. 
He was “one for the future” who’s now made the RB position his own, with pretty much no direct support, he has more than held his own, and I thought today, especially late on he did very well. 
considering his age, and experience, he’s made a very promising start, and certainly has some real steel about him with some crunching tackles! 

He will only get better, but already is starting to make himself a player who’s “type” we have so badly missed. 

Now- let’s get him a song! 

Totally agree and on songs for god sake give the DaSilva song a rest. There are players far more deserving of a song than him like Weimann for instance. Pathetic we select the song based on the tune rather than the player

18 minutes ago, Merrick's Marvels said:

If he wasn't playing as his manager instructed him to do, he'd have been hauled off. How do we know this? Because that's exactly what happened the week before!

So I'd have thought that tucking in, playing close to Kalas, and leaving space out wide was, in fact, exactly what his manager had asked him to do. 

Pring was doing exactly the same on the other side. Further evidence, if it were needed, that our full backs weren't having "a shocker" at all. 

As for "hoofing the ball forward" - presumably you missed the fact that, rather a lot of the time, our full backs had no-one available to pass to other than a ball down the line aimed at Chris Martin (in case you hadn't noticed, this has been our default way of playing since day 1 of this season).

My amateur analysis is that our full-backs often had no-one to pass to for numerous reasons -  the way Barnsley set up, the fact we played with no width at all, the fact Bakinson is frequently a passenger, the fact Massengo's attempts to cover every blade of grass on the pitch, at least twice, means he ends up anywhere but central midfield, and Matty James can't be everywhere at once.          

So if anyone's had a shocker... 

Ever since LJ our fullbacks ignore the winger and stand between the centre half and the line. This leaves the winger as a constant out ball. The winger gets the ball uncontested and can run at the full back who has the sprint out to him. Sometimes the wide midfielder takes the winger leaving his man free. On Saturday their right winger was their constant easy out ball. I know why we play the fullback narrow, We are trying the close off the ball down the channel between our full back and centre back but if our midfield was more effective perhaps the ball would not come that way so often.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, ohhhshauntaylor said:

I think this is somewhat down to how Kalas wants him to play- he seemed keen to keep Tanner close to him- and with no support ahead of him due to how narrow we were this was an issue and very evident! 

@Davefevs pointed this out I think in an earlier thread around this. 

Yes, and it’s really easy to say “Tanner left HIS man out wide”.  Was Jordan Williams HIS man?  Who was gonna mark Iseka then?  Tactical issues caused the probs, not Tanner having a shocker.  I might argue that 2 or 3 times first half, Massengo went into press Kitching on his own and made it even easier to get Williams on the ball in even more space.

5 hours ago, Clutton Caveman said:

Totally agree and on songs for god sake give the DaSilva song a rest. There are players far more deserving of a song than him like Weimann for instance. Pathetic we select the song based on the tune rather than the player

Weird isn’t it,I could never stand ABBA,but would find myself singing along to dancing queen ?

I have been really impressed with Tanner since he has come in to the team. Good attitude, has courage, defensively solid and good technical skills.

He has a lot to learn but that is only normal for a young player. He clearly is mentally strong after what went on at West Brom only to be in the starting the next game. Big future for the lad if he keeps developing.

I said it in another thread though but I really feel for him at times because him and whoever’s on the other side often don’t have any midfielder offering for the ball. You see the likes of Bournemouth and Fulham and there midfielders are always showing when their defenders have the ball but ours don’t a lot of the time. The most frustrating is on thrown ins, other than Martin our lads genuinely don’t see like they want the ball and not showing for it with the intent to receive it, just to make it look they are offering. It really needs addressing by Nige that.

Kalas has been great with him and I’m a big fan of those tackles! Good luck to the lad, already a favourite with a lot of fans for his commitment alone. I think he’ll look even better if we start getting it on the floor and passing it more instead of this direct play NP seems to be wanting.

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, Sheltons Army said:

In the current age , clearly he won’t be the only one , but credit to the lad , back from holiday with his girlfriend and straight into a private Football Camp (In Blackpool)

Attitude ✅

Desire ✅

Professional ✅

D3859D28-AFF7-4A2E-BB97-A59A75472D35.jpeg

Pearson's way ✅

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, Sheltons Army said:

In the current age , clearly he won’t be the only one , but credit to the lad , back from holiday with his girlfriend and straight into a private Football Camp (In Blackpool)

Attitude ✅

Desire ✅

Professional ✅

D3859D28-AFF7-4A2E-BB97-A59A75472D35.jpeg

With Matty James’s brother (?) and Joe Riley who signed for Walsall today (from Carlisle).

• Like 1