IGNORED

Birmingham City away match day thread

1 minute ago, ExiledAjax said:

Suspect both would try and sell it as a 3412, but it's two sides of the same coin.

As I said earlier. I predict a lot of long balls as both teams that and bypass midfield.

With them playing Bela over Pederson (injured?) I suspect they fancy Bela to have a go at Tanner.  In fairness to Nige if we have gone back 3 / WBs it it’s a good match up with Brum playing Graham and Bela.

• Like 1
8 minutes ago, robin_unreliant said:

Can only imagine there is a concern about HNM's fitness. He was out for a bit after all. Can see no other reason for him being benched after saturday. 

Agree.. I was surprised he played at WBA and he has played poorly against them and Barnsley so I am assuming he was either bought back before being fit or is rusty and needs more time in training to be truly match fit

• Like 1
7 minutes ago, old_eastender said:

If it is that leaves James & Bakinson in a midfield 2, which I think would be a disaster.

Out of interest, why? Is that a reflection of the personnel themselves or that’s it’s just two?

With Brum playing a 5212, it could be a direct match up.  How do you rate James, Bakinson, Weimann versus Gardner, Sunjic and McGree?

Was thinking some kind of 3-4-1-2.

Obviously 3 can become a 5 reasonably easily. 5-2-1-2- Weimann the '1'?

In theory this could also help us avoid being overwhelmed in certain areas of the pitch...I'm not saying it'd be flowing football necessarily.

Bentley

Vyner Kalas Atkinson

Tanner Bakinson James DaSilva

Weimann

Wells Martin

In some phases, given he has played there before, Vyner can step into CM to create a loose 4-3-3/4-3-1-2...

...In some phases, Vyner and Tanner- or even at times, Weimann and Tanner- can double up on the right to block off or mitigate the 2 vs 1. Wells I don't really think will do likewise on the left though, so this could be an issue.

Out of possession it might look like this...

Bentley

Tanner Kalas Atkinson DaSilva

Vyner Bakinson James Wells

Weimann

Martin

Or this...

Bentley

Vyner Kalas Atknson

Tanner Bakinson James DaSilva

Weimann Martin Wells

Weimann can help out in phases- Wells pulling left, I have little faith in either offensively or defensively.

Pring was fit enough to make the bench then. If Baker was playing the risk of being 2 v 1 on the left could be mitigated ie Baker behind DaSilva but that seems an issue to me...potentially.

Birmingham have some useful individuals in there- Sunjic is not bad technically, is Gardner solid/experienced? Hogan I like technically speaking and Sanderson not an outlet? Bela too of course- talking technically. Jutkiewicz is of course a big threat at times but technically? Not so much.

Would not mind though Massengo starting, Scott too. Understand why you might be cautious over Pring given Saturday.

Edited by Mr Popodopolous