IGNORED

Birmingham City away match day thread

Getting dicked by WBA, not great, but it is what it is.

Getting dicked by a very average B’ham…most disappointing result of the season.

Thought we were well in it at half time. Time and time again however the other team finds it far to easy to create chances against us. If we cannot defend well we are dead in the water. Difficult to know what to say really. 

• Like 2
1 minute ago, Ivorguy said:

Sad to say but we are short of decent Championship players.  Some are at this level, but too few, some are making it to this level, some are falling off from this level, and some have never reach or will reach it.

Feel sorry for Nige.  All he can do is try and keep us up until he can sign new recruits

Some creative accountancy is required, if not in Jan but next summer to allow Pearson to get rid of the shite and spend some sensible money on key positions.

Brum are just a physical long ball team but we made it look so easy for them… their second from the long ball straight down middle of the pitch is an absolute disgrace to concede at this level. And I still don’t get why we are insistent on knocking high balls to Martin against 3 tall and muscular centre-halves, that has to be a game plan thing and not just an ineffective performance.

• Like 1
5 minutes ago, keflav said:

I have backed Pearson so far, but this could be a turning point for me it's just not working. We have no creativity, no goal threat and defend like rank amateurs.

Bakinson & vyner should no where near the first team there an absolute liability, no idea what Pearson see it them....

Tbf some people pointed out Nige has only done well when he had Shakespeare coaching. I'm beginning to worry that's true and he can't pull this off on his own.

• Like 2
1 minute ago, bexhill reds said:

Some creative accountancy is required, if not in Jan but next summer to allow Pearson to get rid of the shite and spend some sensible money on key positions.

Brum are just a physical long ball team but we made it look so easy for them… their second from the long ball straight down middle of the pitch is an absolute disgrace to concede at this level. And I still don’t get why we are insistent on knocking high balls to Martin against 3 tall and muscular centre-halves, that has to be a game plan thing and not just an ineffective performance.

Next summer will be too late!!

Clearly NP is drifting into the danger zone. I’m a supporter and I’m not going to slag him off. But I’m losing the desire to try and defend him by pointing out the other, deeply entrenched reasons for our decline. It may well be that tired indifference speaks louder than people yelling for him to be sacked. 

I’m from the more happy clappy side of the fan base probably but I’m so bored of watching City.  It’s not just the results, it’s the poor style of play and lack of ability to keep hold of the ball, plus no creativity, pace, skill or general excitement.  

I feel sorry for you lot who have season tickets and see a lot more of it. 

• Like 3
1 minute ago, Red-Robbo said:

What concerns me is that we seem worse than we were at the start of the season - and we weren't very good then. 

Agree.

I can take losing when I see the direction we’re trying to take.

But we just look like we’re going game-to-game with no direction or plan.

We were as bad as any football team I’ve seen play this year and possibly last tonight; that is very worrying.

• Sad 1
2 minutes ago, samo II said:

I’m not sure where I said “everyone is part of the problem” but I did say the likes of Kalas are - he might not want to be a leader here, but that alone tells you what type of person he is. I’m sure he’s nice enough, but he’s not what we need.

Add the likes of Wells and Martin to that - this feels like the squad of aging, listless, directionless ‘pros’ that Pulis assembled; no guts, no dynamism.

Sometimes you need to send a message - people will remember the end stage of GJ’s time, but his willingness to change the culture at the start by dropping players and pushing for a new direction, regardless of results is what built the bedrock of his success.

I’m not clear what NP is doing playing these aging, listless pros who offer us nothing, and yet still lose us games terribly; it’s clearly not changing anything, so for me the time for just sitting on our hands is done - start doing the hard things to get where we need to long term, as we’re getting nothing from the alternative.

Partially agree with you, but the issue is looking at our bench today what else would you have done? In the Kalas example, Vyner and Atkinson in a back two? Yikes.

Without Wells or Martin up front it'd be kids from the U23s pretty much.

I totally agree we need an overhaul (although we might disagree on who should survive it), and I'm sure it's coming, but it has to be done in stages. We have two of our back line who have barely played above L2 starting every game currently. Our best player in the middle is 20, alongside a new signing from the summer. Up front are the 2 you've mentioned. It's chaos.

Maybe you're right and we could just throw caution to the wind, but I have no idea what that'd do to the squad harmony or dressing room - or the development of the kids we'd be chucking in there. You can't just drop half the squad 1/3 of the way into the season. Rock and a hard place for me, unfortunately!

It's not pretty though, is it. As you said, we need to get to the long term, but imo we can't totally destroy everything in one go to get there.

• Like 3

Just some random thoughts .

I actually thought we had played quite well up until their second goal which really sealed the points.

We are sadly lacking up front.

I have noticed that Wells isn’t hungry enough to force a goal . Tonight and against Barnsley he wasn’t aggressive enough to  get to chances that he could have tucked away. He is powder puff and never outmuscles the opponents.

We never looked like scoring tonight.

Bakinson played quite well I thought but switched off at certain moments.

I know nothing about football but feel we should be doing better.