IGNORED

Is this a relegation season?

Marina's Rolls Royce

2 hours ago, daored said:

How much can we use , covid in consideration I’d guess not a lot?

It depends.

Do we want to go shit or bust and say "Screw it" and say if we invest this cash and we get promoted, win the playoffs then happy days- £20-25m I expect, but certainly £20m in amortisation and wages- added costs basically, net of any savings or sales.

The problem is it really would be promotion or nothing- or we would be in deep trouble. Talking embargo, possible deduction, business plan and so on. Other than that, could we stretch to a loan or 2? Really it's about building a base this and perhaps some of next season for a possible big push in 2023/24 barring big sales, big increases in club income etc. IMO anyway.

Edited by Mr Popodopolous
  • Thanks 2

1 hour ago, RobintheRed Red said:

Got to hope Derby dont win appeal or the 12 point deduction is only 6 worrying times .

They have another 9 to come with 3 more on top of that suspended according to recent reports. That's additional and separate to the administration deduction.

News tonight that Reading's deduction might be 9 points with 3 more suspended effective this season. Then there's Hull, Barnsley, Peterborough- all willing sides but lacking in certain areas.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

They have another 9 to come with 3 more on top of that suspended according to recent reports. That's additional and separate to the administration deduction.

News tonight that Reading's deduction might be 9 points with 3 more suspended effective this season. Then there's Hull, Barnsley, Peterborough- all willing sides but lacking in certain areas.

Hope your right mate it dont bare thinking about going back down there.

1 hour ago, Marina's Rolls Royce said:

It was much much better with Lee but that's not part of the NP messiah narrative.

Was it? Was it really “much much better with Lee”?! Under LJ we won ONE game from 10 December 2016 to 11 March 2017 - and that run included the most consecutive defeats in our history - yeh, it was “much much better with Lee” ... ???

• Like 1

A third of the season gone and we have 19 points from 16 games, 10 points off relegation and having beaten the teams below us that we’ve played. Over the course of the season, that would see us with 57 points. Given how poor the bottom few teams are, something like 48 will probably keep us up.

A relegation battle is surely on the cards, but it appears unlikely that we actually will succumb to the drop. A bit of bed wetting going on?

Edited by Wanderingred
  • Like 4

1 hour ago, RobintheRed Red said:

Hope your right mate it dont bare thinking about going back down there.

Hope so too.

Would be terrible wouldn't it- we now off the pitch by which I mean infrastructure, revenue streams and the like are as strong as in my time- perhaps ever. Relegation would be appalling and what a waste.

I think it could be a tough season but we survive- possibly as much as due to the failings of others as much as ourselves.

3 minutes ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

Hope so too.

Would be terrible wouldn't it- we now off the pitch by which I mean infrastructure, revenue streams and the like are as strong as in my time- perhaps ever. Relegation would be appalling and what a waste.

I think it could be a tough season but we survive- possibly as much as due to the failings of others as much as ourselves.

Cant see us getting away with it year in year out same last year

26 minutes ago, woodsyred said:

I honestly think Coventry will beat us 3 or 4 nil 

That’s the spirit! Thank God you obviously weren’t around when we were following Terry’s heroes everywhere from 1983 - we reached rock bottom but we just trusted our manager and supported our team to the hilt - there was no sense of entitlement back then, we just backed our boys because they were wearing our shirt and they needed our help - the wailing these days when we lose a game in the 5th best division in Europe is just pitiful ... our modern fans wouldn’t have stayed the course when our club needed us the most back in the ‘80s ... I’m so grateful that I was able to witness those times and be part of a proper crowd of Bristol City supporters - home and away, we were proud to represent Bristol even though our team had limited abilities - but boy did they run their hearts out for our club, loved ‘em all ...

• Like 8
  • Thanks 3
  • Robin 2

23 minutes ago, BS4 on Tour... said:

That’s the spirit! Thank God you obviously weren’t around when we were following Terry’s heroes everywhere from 1983 - we reached rock bottom but we just trusted our manager and supported our team to the hilt - there was no sense of entitlement back then, we just backed our boys because they were wearing our shirt and they needed our help - the wailing these days when we lose a game in the 5th best division in Europe is just pitiful ... our modern fans wouldn’t have stayed the course when our club needed us the most back in the ‘80s ... I’m so grateful that I was able to witness those times and be part of a proper crowd of Bristol City supporters - home and away, we were proud to represent Bristol even though our team had limited abilities - but boy did they run their hearts out for our club, loved ‘em all ...

Well said BS4!!

• Thanks 1

28 minutes ago, Wanderingred said:

A third of the season gone and we have 19 points from 16 games, 10 points off relegation and having beaten the teams below us that we’ve played. Over the course of the season, that would see us with 57 points. Given how poor the bottom few teams are, something like 48 will probably keep us up.

A relegation battle is surely on the cards, but it appears unlikely that we actually will succumb to the drop. A bit of bed wetting going on?

I will be disappointed if we end up in a relegation battle.  I think we are (?), will be better than that.

Undoubtedly, Nige has to do better on the playing front.

A re-build isn’t pretty is it.  But it’s better trying to do it in the Champ than League One.  I’m not lowering my expectations of this season….but we need to improve.

• Like 3

26 minutes ago, BS4 on Tour... said:

Ran their hearts out for the club, there in a nutshell is the problem we have, lack of ability not being compensated by a team willing to run their hearts out, and until we can get somebody who can get the players themselves to realise that we are what we are and if FFP is to be adhered to then it's down to the coaches and management to get the best out of what we have plenty of other teams seem to be able to do it. 

39 minutes ago, Wanderingred said:

In theory.

6 hours ago, BS4 on Tour... said:

Terry Cooper had no money and worked with what he had at least he seemed to be able to coach players ,now wonderful Pearson has many players bought for large fees who have done well for other clubs but just can't get anything out of this team I will be at Coventry on Saturday and unfortunately can see us losing a third away game on the trot by 3 or more

It's a rebuild year, for a club that was in proper relegation form last season.

We've just had a summer with much reduced spending capacity, in fact the main thing we had to do was reduce the spending on wages.

As fevs said, I'd much rather do a rebuild as a weak team in the championship than as a strong/okay team in league one.

I think we'll stay up, but might be closer than we would have liked. Hopefully see some reinforcements in January; maybe some loans working those contacts of Nige's!

• Like 1

9 hours ago, BS4 on Tour... said:

And we didn't even have a high performance centre back then!

• Flames 2

It just feels like an incredibly Bristol City thing to happen that we get relegated and battle out for top 6 against Mark Ashton's Ipswich and Lee Johnson's Sunderland whilst Plymouth Argyle canter to automatic promotion.. we then miss out on the playoffs after a disappointing draw to a plucky Shrewsbury side managed by Steve Cotterill. Also, Rovers go up from League 2. 

• Sad 1

11 hours ago, Marina's Rolls Royce said:

Enough of the Ashton Johnson Lansdown blame triangle.

I've been supporting City long enough to get the feel- and the feel is that we are fodder. NP has been a top manager in his day but his day has gone- just look at the stats.

Is it Nige's fault? Probably not but , imo, a different solution is needed sooner than later. It was much much better with Lee but that's not part of the NP messiah narrative.

We will go down unless SL/JL take financial and coaching action now.

Well I think we have played just about every combination our squad allows. It seems that the team spirit is dropping week by week as the squad start to lose faith in the plan. Many players are staying in the team by doing nothing wrong rather than doing something right. The manager has started openly criticising some players and I suspect behind closed doors some players are criticising the management. We have several players who are on high wages and are not delivering and the chances to move them on even for no fee seems remote.

I would like to think that NP spends a night on Glastonbury Tor and comes back reinvented to invigorate his failing team but guess what I think NP thinks he is fine as he is.

Will the January window save us? If we could find a Tanner type bargain for midfield winger and striker perhaps, but!! oh yes that was a pig flying past my window

So in answer to your question, does this seem like a relegation season. Yes.

• Like 2

I dont reckon we will be in a serious relegation fight. The bottom 3 + Cardiff and P'boro look worse than us. Derby + Barnsley look like they are down already. I agree its piss poor right now, and last night was a real low point, but all the foreboding of doom isn't healthy. I doubt Pearson is going anywhere, and fantasies about expensive new signings in January are just wet dreams. Just knuckle down for a scrappy few winter months, and hope NP finds a formula that starts to work. 

There’s no making excuses for this squad anymore. From front to back utterly appalling. 0 creativity, 0 pace and worst of all 0 talent. Chris Martin would make a bigger impact sat at home in his lounge. Yes we best Barnsley but can we really be proud of that performance, we were absolutely embarrassing and beat the only team worse than us in the league.  This is not an over reaction it is real talk. We WILL be relegated if we do not spend big in January and replace Pearson. 

We are so tactically off its unbelievable, how anyone can sit and defend Pearson or this squad is beyond me. I don’t want to be negative but right now we have no choice to save our club from travelling to Accrington and Stanley on a Tuesday evening!

Form under Nigel since joining is about (and still is with current):

Win qtr Draw qtr and Lose half.

We have 19 pts so far  with 30 games left.

W7, D8, L15 (from 30 games)

Total 48 pts.

I see 52 pts as the line, so need a slight improvement in form to survive, just...

W8, D9, L13.

Edited by MattWSM
typo

Thanks Mr P, Fevs etc. for continued insight into FFP. 

Last night was woeful, not only is the squad lacking in quality, but it is evidently far too light. With injuries as they are, and with some players evidently not trusted by Nige, the lack of options off the bench was scary really. For all the talk of the ineffectiveness of loan options, Nige has to try and get at least 2 in January - it might be a bit punty, but needs must I think. We lack in a lot of areas currently, but one thing that I believe can be easier to find in young loan players is pace, and it is something we seem to lack in spades. 

Edited by underhanded
  • Like 1