IGNORED

Is this a relegation season?

Marina's Rolls Royce

21 minutes ago, Shaun Taylor said:

Cheers Swede, including yourself there's some decent posters on here who have been more than welcoming over the years. 

I do follow your club closely and wish you well but I'm also mypthed why you can't get it right on them pitch considering everyting is in place to be successful.

Very welcome as far as I’m concerned although you could try explaining some of your Swindon slang.?

• Haha 1

15 hours ago, Wanderingred said:

A third of the season gone and we have 19 points from 16 games, 10 points off relegation and having beaten the teams below us that we’ve played. Over the course of the season, that would see us with 57 points. Given how poor the bottom few teams are, something like 48 will probably keep us up.

A relegation battle is surely on the cards, but it appears unlikely that we actually will succumb to the drop. A bit of bed wetting going on?

Agreed. Unsure we go down.

Hull, they have plenty of headroom for theoretical spending but the owner and fans hate each other, he's been cost cutting for years. Clawing back loans too.

Barnsley, they might improve now but losing Ismael, Mowatt, Murphy knocked the stuffing out of them a bit? Not just as individuals but the whole narrative...a great high pressing non stop running top 6 season, ending Brentford's long long unbeaten run in the runup.

Those 3 stay and rich owners and a strong financial position can see them kick on. Marcondes on a free? Sure why not! What a midfield that could be, Mowatt Marcondes or Mowatt, A N Other with Marcondes as the '1' in front but they were linked when they had those key personnel.

Peterborough, seem like they could be strong at home but inept or overpowered on the road.

Cardiff, surely bottomed out?

Preston, Seem okay at home albeit a lot of draws. Think they have a squad that probably should be doing better, inexperienced manager an issue?

That's to say nothing about the two points deduction sides.

1 hour ago, ExiledAjax said:

Regressing from what though? From where we were when NP took over? I don't think so. We're fractionally better in terms of output than we were then. We're taking more shots, more on target, scoring more, conceding fewer etc. We're not brilliant, and it started from a very low place, but we're better than we were.

Have we regressed from where we were after 6 games this season, perhaps yes, but in my opinion there is still time to get back closer to that early season stuff if we make a few changes and get one or two back to their fitness or full potential. Doing that would hopefully reconstruct the confidence, belief and organisation that you rightly point out is missing.

There's no doubt we are in trouble, but it remains possible to get out of it with what we currently have.

Correct….you are the unofficial auditor of my data ??? and have been tracking your own for some time.

59 minutes ago, lenred said:

Can’t believe we are having to look at results already ? but it was always going to be a bumpy ride this season.  Think we have enough because of others deficiencies but fear it could be closer than is comfortable. Just need to get through it by hook or by crook. 

I’m not, not when we are 10 points clear against a team in 22nd who are getting 0.6ppg. ???

I know Derby are getting 1.13, but when they get their additional 9, can’t buy anyone I’m not worried either!

just saying interesting fixtures tonight ???

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

I’m not, not when we are 10 points clear against a team in 22nd who are getting 0.6ppg. ???

I know Derby are getting 1.13, but when they get their additional 9, can’t buy anyone I’m not worried either!

You may not be but I am ?

• Haha 1

37 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

Correct….you are the unofficial auditor of my data ??? and have been tracking your own for some time.

Especially when we are on 1.1 ppg over the past 10 games. I'd suggest that 1.1 is about all we need to maintain in order to avoid relegation. Gives us 33 more points, for a final tally of 52. Rubbish, but enough to avoid the bottom three.

Can we do 7 wins, 12 draws, 11 losses?

Edited by ExiledAjax
  • Like 1

32 minutes ago, TonyTonyTony said:

I did say hopefully ...

You did…I really hope he does it as well because I’m sure he has the potential….I’m grasping at straws though.

32 minutes ago, Ska Junkie said:

He's one of few potential answers CR. Whether he can do enough to be the answer is another point entirely.

I hope so SJ

• Like 1

Relegation Season?  Mmmm....very possibly.
When were we last relegated - 2012/13 season.  There are soooo many similarities.  It's actually very concerning.

2012/13 were an overpaid, aging squad, with very little quality in possession and were gutless and spineless with a lack of leaders.
2021/22 - Yeah, pretty much the same.

For Heaton see Bentley - the experienced, well paid keeper, who's a decent shotstopper but can't command his box.
For Foster see Simpson - the full back trusted by the manager from their old days, but who is a waste of a squad place.
For Maloney see Tanner - the young fullback brought in during the season who wasn't ever ready but you had to stick him in anyway because the alternative was awful.
For Dasilva see Cunningham - the young attacking full back with international caps, but who ultimately was a bit weak really.
For Fontaine see Vyner - the academy graduate who gets torn apart by any decent opposition.
For Nyatanga see Kalas - the well paid experienced international who you were hoping could be a leader but ultimately needs better players alongside them to thrive.
For Stephen Pearson see James - the old injury-prone pro who you were hoping would give you quality and leadership but ends up being dragged down to the poor level of those around them.
For Kilkenny see King - the well-paid never-was-been who you expected to bring some kind of organisation to the team.
For Marvin Elliot see Joe Williams - the tough tackling one who's hardly ever fit.
For Skuse see Bakinson - the one from the youth team who occasionally looks decent on the ball but jogs about and doesn't understand the meaning of the words 'track your runner'.
For Baldock see Wells - the well-paid striker who's notched a good number of goals in the past but seems to miss a host of chances.
For Stephen Davies see Martin - the well-paid ex Derby man who never looks fit.
For Weimann see - jeez, Weimann is in a league of his own - I can't even think of someone from that 2012 squad who is so braindead on the ball and lacks so much quality in a final pass.

So many similarities.  That 2012/13 team quite literally gave up in most games and showed zero interest in fighting for the cause.  I hope some of this current crop can at least make an attempt to sow some fight - otherwise it's quite literally 2012/13 again.

• Confused 1
  • Sad 1

2 minutes ago, Harry said:

When were we last relegated - 2012/13 season.  There are soooo many similarities.  It's actually very concerning.

2012/13 were an overpaid, aging squad, with very little quality in possession and were gutless and spineless with a lack of leaders.

For Heaton see Bentley - the experienced, well paid keeper, who's a decent shotstopper but can't command his box.
For Foster see Simpson - the full back trusted by the manager from their old days, but who is a waste of a squad place.
For Maloney see Tanner - the young fullback brought in during the season who wasn't ever ready but you had to stick him in anyway because the alternative was awful.
For Dasilva see Cunningham - the young attacking full back with international caps, but who ultimately was a bit weak really.
For Fontaine see Vyner - the academy graduate who gets torn apart by any decent opposition.
For Nyatanga see Kalas - the well paid experienced international who you were hoping could be a leader but ultimately needs better players alongside them to thrive.
For Stephen Pearson see James - the old injury-prone pro who you were hoping would give you quality and leadership but ends up being dragged down to the poor level of those around them.
For Kilkenny see King - the well-paid never-was-been who you expected to bring some kind of organisation to the team.
For Marvin Elliot see Joe Williams - the tough tackling one who's hardly ever fit.
For Skuse see Bakinson - the one from the youth team who occasionally looks decent on the ball but jogs about and doesn't understand the meaning of the words 'track your runner'.
For Baldock see Wells - the well-paid striker who's notched a good number of goals in the past but seems to miss a host of chances.
For Weimann see - jeez, Weimann is in a league of his own - I can't even think of someone from that 2012 squad who is so braindead on the ball and lacks so much quality in a final pass.

So many similarities.  That 2012/13 team quite literally gave up in most games and showed zero interest in fighting for the cause.  I hope some of this current crop can at least make an attempt to sow some fight - otherwise it's quite literally 2012/13 again.

Most terrifying post on OTIB this season. I'd forgotten that particular season and crop of players but you've brought it back with total clarity. Cheers, Harry ?

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, Harry said:

Some good comparisons Harry.  I’d say (at the moment) that Kalas is streets ahead of Lewin, likewise James above Pearson and King over Kilkenny the latter two for their consciousness and apparent value to the dressing room if nothing else. However you could also argue that Heaton was way above Bents, Skuse was better than Bakinson currently is performing and Davies was decent imho compared to Martins current form anyhow. So it’s close but I’d still say we’ve currently got a better team than back then and have enough to stay up. Just.  

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, lenred said:

Some good comparisons Harry.  I’d say (at the moment) that Kalas is streets ahead of Lewin, likewise James above Pearson and King over Kilkenny the latter two for their consciousness and apparent value to the dressing room if nothing else. However you could also argue that Heaton was way above Bents, Skuse was better than Bakinson currently is performing and Davies was decent imho compared to Martins current form anyhow. So it’s close but I’d still say we’ve currently got a better team than back then and have enough to stay up. Just.  

I hope you are right.  But the way we've thrown in the towel in a few games of late has me very concerned of a deja-vue.  They need to get some fight back in them.

3 minutes ago, Harry said:

I hope you are right.  But the way we've thrown in the towel in a few games of late has me very concerned of a deja-vue.  They need to get some fight back in them.

Yep there is definitely a similar feeling to it at the moment, there is no doubt.  Still feel a combination of poor teams below us, better players (just) and better management will see us right.   

1 minute ago, lenred said:

Yep there is definitely a similar feeling to it at the moment, there is no doubt.  Still feel a combination of poor teams below us, better players (just) and better management will see us right.   

The "better management" is currently debatable.

• Haha 1

22 minutes ago, Harry said:

Thanks for that☹️,is your nick name ‘Harry the B******’.

We are playing as poorly as I’ve  ever seen us, and it’s a blessing that the sides currently in the bottom 3 are quite far adrift of us. 

We feel like a makeshift side. I was expecting that this season. But we are so very low on quality and we don’t have much to compensate for that at the moment, like a coherent style of play. I was hoping NP would be able to deliver that, but after some encouraging signs early in the season our performances are falling apart to a degree I was not expecting. 

Will we be relegated? Possibly, yes, we look like a side bad enough to end up in the bottom 3 and confidence is shot. We can barely string any passes together and are often wide open. I’m just hoping the teams below us will continue to find it difficult to pick up points. 

Just now, Harry said:

The "better management" is currently debatable.

Yep dont disagree, it’s definitely debatable.  But I’d have Pearson over either of our managers that year in our current position. Far more proven than either. Just my opinion. Hopefully its right! 

34 minutes ago, Harry said:

You didn't mention Mr Ashton's previous involvement at the club...

We'll get away with it just because there are a few car crashes below us.  As you have posted elsewhere the recruitment side of the club simply has to be sorted asap.  I'd feel a lot more confident if it was..

Luckily Derby haven’t got enough to stay up, Hull are rubbish, final place between us Peterborough & Barnsley, if we don’t add some sort of decent striker in January I think it will be us, we barely look like scoring and are incapable of keeping a clean sheet, this manager has been a major disappointment, so angry that we didn’t go for a modern day manager like Cooper or Martin who understands the importance of keeping possession, i watched the start of the game like night and switched off after five seconds when we kicked it long and straight out of play from the kick off, please tell me the point of that

Just saw my Facebook memory from precisely three years ago today:

“Cast your mind back to Boxing Day - City 2 Reading 0, nicely nestled behind Wolves in the promotion places and on the back of a League Cup quarter-final defeat of Man United.

There's no denying that we have gone backwards in a big way since. How do we steady the ship?”

That season actually turned out to be our best since ‘08, albeit we were never really serious promotion contenders after a bad spell in the February. But I think the question still very much stands.Things have clearly degenerated from fizzling out to mid table from a good position. :(

55 minutes ago, NOTBLUE said:

Thanks for that☹️,is your nick name ‘Harry the B******’.

Amongst other things, there have been a few people who know me as that, yes. 

39 minutes ago, The Bard said:

You didn't mention Mr Ashton's previous involvement at the club...

We'll get away with it just because there are a few car crashes below us.  As you have posted elsewhere the recruitment side of the club simply has to be sorted asap.  I'd feel a lot more confident if it was..

Indeed sir. Ashton’s paws get everywhere. But I’ve done that one to death ?

1 hour ago, Harry said:

What about SO'D, though? Who do we see there? Not Nige, cos I'd imagine he's "up for the fight," probably gagging for a scrap. 

53 minutes ago, Moments of Pleasure said:

What about SO'D, though? Who do we see there? Not Nige, cos I'd imagine he's "up for the fight," probably gagging for a scrap. 

Pearson doesn’t strike me as a man who is up for a fight any more. He’s just shrugging his shoulders and laughing at our situation in most interviews. 

The one straw I’m clutching is that in our last three relegations from this level (1995, 1999, 2013) it’s been obvious to anyone who had eyes to see that we were doomed to relegation from very, very early in the season. This year we made a steady if unspectacular start (in terms of results if not performances).

That’s not to say teams haven’t gone down after a better start than we’ve had (Millwall topped the Old First Division in Sept ‘89 and finished bottom) but I’m hoping it’s a pattern. Just trying to keep it light!

What @Harry neglects to mention is that under O'Driscoll we gave it a good go for a time...

We had a lengthy unbeaten home run, mostly wins from late January to mid March- prior to the International break. A notable turning point perhaps was the Wolves away, a real relegation 6 pointer in which we crumbled to a 2-1 loss after being ahead- we had a strong home record under him and a reasonable run of home fixtures to end the season, but it seemed to implode following that Wolves game.

3 minutes ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

What @Harry neglects to mention is that under O'Driscoll we gave it a good go for a time...

We had a lengthy unbeaten home run, mostly wins from late January to mid March- prior to the International break. A notable turning point perhaps was the Wolves away, a real relegation 6 pointer in which we crumbled to a 2-1 loss after being ahead- we had a strong home record under him and a reasonable run of home fixtures to end the season, but it seemed to implode following that Wolves game.

We have history of imploding after a Wolves result.?‍♂️

• Haha 2
  • Flames 1

31 minutes ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

Is that Wolves game where our goal was a really odd own goal iirc. Thought our luck had changed but no.  Knew we were down driving home that day.