IGNORED

Lansdown should be embarrassed and ashamed

dREDful

15 hours ago, bexhill reds said:

Still, Lansdown’s out and some form of dubious source of Russian, Chinese or Saudi money in then eh? Cos that the only places where that level of investment is going to come from….

I'd never set foot in the ground out of principle if our owners/investment came from those places, so bring it on.

1 hour ago, ray savino said:

Although I must confess, after 55 seasons of following this club, it’s really beginning to test my patience, not so much the lack of real success, but more the lack of exciting football, let alone “good” football.

Yes, we are dull. But then, at this level, when are we not pretty drab? We remember AD and 76 to 80 fondly but no football fan anywhere beyond Bristol does (like neutrals might remember say Bobby Robson's Ipswich, or West Brom in the late 70s, for example).

Credit to LJ, we were lively and enjoyable, at this level, for about 4 months (and the odd game either side of the 17/18 season). 90/91 was good, too.

If it's entertainment we want at AG and enjoyable, attacking football, then we'll have to drop back down to L1 (but it's not guaranteed at that level either, mind).

• Like 2

BCFC are set up to be a Championship side not a Prem side. Outside investors can be found but there are reservations over many aspects, not least control, ground ownership (and expansion) or Bristol Sport, plus the loans/debt. If it is put up for sale, there are buyers. Of course, but it depends what you are selling and what the price is. As ever. 

• Like 1

Just need to find another City-supporting, billionaire Bristolian who's keen to throw millions away every year just to stand still. He can't spend any money on players now because of FFP but would need to be a billionaire if we ever got to the Premier League. New or old, the owner could chuck millions and millions at the problem in January but it would be very likely we'd be the next Derby County. 

Realistically if a new owner took over tomorrow, what could he (or she!) actually do that SL can't or won't? 

Foreign ownership is a big risk, never mind any possible ethical issues. 

On 03/11/2021 at 09:01, Wiltshire robin said:

He’s oblivious to football matters and whilst us as fans can appreciate the ground re build and the training ground on the pitch I can’t see us progressing past a mid table side under his watch.

I would grab mid table ATM because I fear it will get worse? 

Edited by bpexile
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, Psychopomp said:

BCFC are set up to be a Championship side not a Prem side. Outside investors can be found but there are reservations over many aspects, not least control, ground ownership (and expansion) or Bristol Sport, plus the loans/debt. If it is put up for sale, there are buyers. Of course, but it depends what you are selling and what the price is. As ever. 

Ground ownership and BS are major hurdles to bringing in new investment.  A position that has been obvious for years, and commented upon by some of us for the same period of time; and still some see SL as a hero.  Unbelievable, Jeff.

33 minutes ago, Major Isewater said:

SL dropped hugely in my esteem after the infamous RB interview when he basically told the fans to shut the **** up because it was his money and his club. 

That’s true and SL is in a position to say what he likes. I know for a fact that he’s always thought that.

• Like 1

On 02/11/2021 at 22:02, ashton_fan said:

Not much, most of it went on the stadium and I don't hear anyone complaining about that. The trouble is we don't get enough income to pay Championship wages, that's why SL has to subsidise the club every season.

Going to have one of the best stadiums in first division, and crowds of how many?

2 hours ago, Major Isewater said:

SL dropped hugely in my esteem after the infamous RB interview when he basically told the fans to shut the **** up because it was his money and his club. 

Agreed, me too.
Lansdown has manoeuvred himself into a win/win as whoever buys him out (if anyone does), will get his millions back with profit. The Bristol Sport concept protects his investment. Bristol City football club is just part of the bigger picture as far as Bristol Sport goes. Mind you, if you were SL, you would do the same as he is going to have to find another £30million+ soon I would imagine due to COVID and loss of £ income?

43 minutes ago, Tin Soldier said:

Agreed, me too.
Lansdown has manoeuvred himself into a win/win as whoever buys him out (if anyone does), will get his millions back with profit. The Bristol Sport concept protects his investment. Bristol City football club is just part of the bigger picture as far as Bristol Sport goes. Mind you, if you were SL, you would do the same as he is going to have to find another £30million+ soon I would imagine due to COVID and loss of £ income?

So you think if he sold Bristol City now he'd get over 150m quid? 

3 minutes ago, Peter O Hanraha-hanrahan said:

Surely any buyer would have to buy the whole lot, football/rugby/kabbadi etc, otherwise things could get quite complicated?

I'd like to think part of the idea behind that is to make us more attractive to outside investment. It would rule out chancers like the guy at Rovers, and only really interest groups with serious money behind them.

Owning an entire sports franchise could be quite appealing to a large US consortium for example. 

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, Phileas Fogg said:

I'd like to think part of the idea behind that is to make us more attractive to outside investment. It would rule out chancers like the guy at Rovers, and only really interest groups with serious money behind them.

Owning an entire sports franchise could be quite appealing to a large US consortium for example. 

That is a good point that I never really considered. The only thing is I’m not sure how many serious wealthy investors that also could put off?

Obviously it depends on the individual but yes, I’m sure a package of different clubs that appeal to a large proportion of sports fans in a big City all cantered in one place could be attractive to the right kind of investor.

1 hour ago, Tin Soldier said:

Agreed, me too.

I don't think it'd be win/win for him getting his money back or even profit at all personally.

People like him (billionaires) are proud, and have more money than they know what to do with. Imo as they get older they usually move on to satisfying their ego (aka dick waving).

I don't think they buy clubs because they want to make money, it's because they want to be able to say they own a premiership club or whatever when they're brushing shoulders with other people in their social class at some wanky dinner or whatever. Same as the ones who own an F1 team, or the largest yachts in the world, fire one of their cars towards mars, take a space flight, eradicate a disease... whatever.

If Lansdown sells up (and he may well do) after 25 years with us still scrubbing around in the champ/L1 and £150m spent with his name on a stand it'll be a massive bruise to his ego imo. It's a very public failure for someone who isn't used to failing in his life.

Edited by IAmNick
  • Like 1

16 minutes ago, IAmNick said:

I don't think it'd be win/win for him getting his money back or even profit at all personally.

People like him (billionaires) are proud, and have more money than they know what to do with. Imo as they get older they usually move on to satisfying their ego (aka dick waving).

I don't think they buy clubs because they want to make money, it's because they want to be able to say they own a premiership club or whatever when they're brushing shoulders with other people in their social class at some wanky dinner or whatever. Same as the ones who own an F1 team, or the largest yachts in the world, fire one of their cars towards mars, take a space flight, eradicate a disease... whatever.

If Lansdown sells up (and he may well do) after 25 years with us still scrubbing around in the champ/L1 and £150m spent with his name on a stand it'll be a massive bruise to his ego imo. It's a very public failure for someone who isn't used to failing in his life.

My view is that Steve wants to leave a bit of a legacy, i.e. here’s what I did for Bristol, which is fine.  Might be a bit of a guilt trip re Guernsey tax situation….speculation?

I think with all the housing / flats stuff, he will make back what he’s invested on football, sport, etc.

6 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

My view is that Steve wants to leave a bit of a legacy, i.e. here’s what I did for Bristol, which is fine.  Might be a bit of a guilt trip re Guernsey tax situation….speculation?

I think with all the housing / flats stuff, he will make back what he’s invested on football, sport, etc.

I agree, same as (on a bigger scale) Bezos with his space flight, Gates with malaria, Musk with going to Mars, and so on.

He'll make it back, but I don't think that's why he did it. If he could have a legacy and lose money in the process, he'd take that in a shot over a failed legacy but topping up his bank balance even more.

• Like 2