IGNORED

Lansdown should be embarrassed and ashamed

dREDful

10 hours ago, Psychopomp said:

BCFC are set up to be a Championship side not a Prem side. Outside investors can be found but there are reservations over many aspects, not least control, ground ownership (and expansion) or Bristol Sport, plus the loans/debt. If it is put up for sale, there are buyers. Of course, but it depends what you are selling and what the price is. As ever. 

The infrastructure is definitely Premier league ready, the rest of it not so much. 

He almost certainly wants a legacy - he wants to be remembered fondly far and wide long after he has passed.

At the moment his legacy is going to be for HL so not exactly far and wide and no one in investment banking gets remembered fondly by the general public. While he has a fairly good reputation with fans for his role in funding the stadium redevelopment and training ground, at the moment City is probably a stain on his legacy as the stated goal is prem football, the stadium and training ground are infrastructure to support that not "that" in itself - having his name on the big stand that's not in the prem is a bit like having a personalised numberplate on a 1990s ford Mondeo when your trying to present a Lamborghini image.

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, IAmNick said:

I agree, same as (on a bigger scale) Bezos with his space flight, Gates with malaria, Musk with going to Mars, and so on.

He'll make it back, but I don't think that's why he did it. If he could have a legacy and lose money in the process, he'd take that in a shot over a failed legacy but topping up his bank balance even more.

I'm fairly sure if someone could guarantee Bristol city could replicate Man U success in the 90s but he had to spent a billion on it he wouldn't think twice about the money.

19 minutes ago, Pezo said:

He almost certainly wants a legacy - he wants to be remembered fondly far and wide long after he has passed.

At the moment his legacy is going to be for HL so not exactly far and wide and no one in investment banking gets remembered fondly by the general public. While he has a fairly good reputation with fans for his role in funding the stadium redevelopment and training ground, at the moment City is probably a stain on his legacy as the stated goal is prem football, the stadium and training ground are infrastructure to support that not "that" in itself - having his name on the big stand that's not in the prem is a bit like having a personalised numberplate on a 1990s ford Mondeo when your trying to present a Lamborghini image.

Yes, his "legacy" at City will mostly be remembered in bricks and mortar at the moment. 

He's been one of the wealthiest owners in English football (top 15) throughout his time in charge at City, yet only the following has been delivered:

1) Football League Trophy winners 2003

2) Third division runners-up 2007

3) Second division play-off finalists 2008

4) Third division champions and Football League Trophy winners 2015*

5) League Cup semi-finalists 2018

And that's it. 

The * is there because the manager that delivered those two pieces of silverware was not even SL's choice. The FL Trophy win in 2003 was delivered by Wilson, who was already at the club when SL took over.

So really we are down to SL's football achievements at City being a couple of years under Gary Johnson and a League Cup win over Man United. In 20 years. With £100m+ spent on the playing side. 

Sad to say, but it's appalling underachievement.

• Like 10

14 minutes ago, Kid in the Riot said:

Yes, his "legacy" at City will mostly be remembered in bricks and mortar at the moment. 

He's been one of the wealthiest owners in English football (top 15) throughout his time in charge at City, yet only the following has been delivered:

1) Football League Trophy winners 2003

2) Third division runners-up 2007

3) Second division play-off finalists 2008

4) Third division champions and Football League Trophy winners 2015*

5) League Cup semi-finalists 2018

And that's it. 

The * is there because the manager that delivered those two pieces of silverware was not even SL's choice. The FL Trophy win in 2003 was delivered by Wilson, who was already at the club when SL took over.

So really we are down to SL's football achievements at City being a couple of years under Gary Johnson and a League Cup win over Man United. In 20 years. With £100m+ spent on the playing side. 

Sad to say, but it's appalling underachievement.

Think Cotts would disagree with this.....

3 hours ago, the1stknowle said:

So you think if he sold Bristol City now he'd get over 150m quid? 

With property investments, sporting/image rights, etc, he will probably get his money back.
But can’t see him achieving that currently due to COVID etc. The financial impact of COVID etc is gonna cost him a few more millions soon.
Also if his rumoured “control freak” approach to biz is right, then he is going to struggle to find a willing investor in the current climate. Think avoiding relegation will be paramount as his asset worth will drop if we get relegated.

7 hours ago, Wiltshire robin said:

Why not everyone from those countries are bad people. If there is evidence of foul play then I understand but could end up with a gem like Leicester did .

We aren't talking about the general population though. To obtain real wealth in Russia, China or Saudi Arabia, almost certainly means a direct connection to a corrupt and/or authoritarian, human rights abusing regime. Maybe some Russian money might be legitimate. Regarding your Leicester comment - that investment came from Thailand.

Why worry anyway, I'm welcoming this investment to free up my Saturday's :)

1 hour ago, Sleepy1968 said:

We aren't talking about the general population though. To obtain real wealth in Russia, China or Saudi Arabia, almost certainly means a direct connection to a corrupt and/or authoritarian, human rights abusing regime. Maybe some Russian money might be legitimate. Regarding your Leicester comment - that investment came from Thailand.

Why worry anyway, I'm welcoming this investment to free up my Saturday's :)

Yeh I understand and completely agree about the human rights connections your bringing up .

It blows my mind how companies like sky push for equality yet have absolutely nothing to say about the new Newcastle owners .

All sky seem to be doing is bigging them up but then I guess it’s exactly the same as the World Cup next year, estimated 6500 deaths is vile . I would honestly be in support of England boycotting.

• Like 1

22 hours ago, Kid in the Riot said:

Yes, mate. Link below:

www.robboredisacock.com

Uncertainty due to pandemic, apparently... 

**** me I haven’t burst out laughing at something written on this forum like I did in a long time ? call me juvenile I couldn’t care less that was 10/10

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Wiltshire robin said:

It blows my mind how companies like sky push for equality yet have absolutely nothing to say about the new Newcastle owners .

It's all virtue signalling and window dressing, they don't really care about equality they just don't want to be accused of being discriminatory. That subject needs wider debate because everything is discriminatory - picking the best candidate for a job, picking which jobs to apply for, choosing sexual partners, picking an ice cream.

If they speak out about China or Russia then those countries just stop them from being able to sell there and as they are multi billion dollar markets and there ability to be able to pay for the next premier league contact hinges on how much money they can make they aren't going to speak out because it will cost them there job and reputation.

And there is the truth, they care about social issues as long as it is limited to internal policy they can inflict upon staff and never at the expense of the execs jobs.

• Like 1

On 04/11/2021 at 10:29, Steve Watts said:

You're absolutely right....3 points off relegation is very much at risk.  But we're not 3 points off relegation.  We're 8 points off.  9 when Reading get their 9 point deduction soon.

Not sure what you mean mate? We were talking about 2016 or whenever it was.

On 04/11/2021 at 11:05, Galley is our king said:

I think actually YOU should be ashamed!

If he walks away now I wouldn't blame him and it would be ****'s like you who would be responsible.

What are we getting under Lansdown's leadership then? He stands the debts, you can't argue with that, and he builds nice facilities. However we are a FOOTBALL CLUB and I've barely seen a proper, decent game of football at Ashton Gate in three years. People like you might walk out after the win last week and convince yourself we played well and all is rosy in the garden but I walked out knowing I had just watched another 90 minutes of turd, YET AGAIN and that we would get walloped Tuesday and Saturday (we didn't get walloped yesterday but if anything it was even more embarrassing than getting walloped by 11 men).

How long do people have to wait before they can walk into Ashton Gate on a semi-regular basis and enjoy a game of football? Another 3 years? We have to be grateful to Steve's leadership for that do we? If he ***** off he ***** off as far as I'm concerned and you can hold me responsible all you like.

• Like 6

14 minutes ago, Numero Uno said:

What are we getting under Lansdown's leadership then? He stands the debts, you can't argue with that, and he builds nice facilities. However we are a FOOTBALL CLUB and I've barely seen a proper, decent game of football at Ashton Gate in three years. People like you might walk out after the win last week and convince yourself we played well and all is rosy in the garden but I walked out knowing I had just watched another 90 minutes of turd, YET AGAIN and that we would get walloped Tuesday and Saturday (we didn't get walloped yesterday but if anything it was even more embarrassing than getting walloped by 11 men).

How long do people have to wait before they can walk into Ashton Gate on a semi-regular basis and enjoy a game of football? Another 3 years? We have to be grateful to Steve's leadership for that do we? If he ***** off he ***** off as far as I'm concerned and you can hold me responsible all you like.

I'm not quite so angry this morning, but you have hit the nail on the head. It's supposed to be about watching entertaining football, not an excruciating loyalty test. I'll be back at the Gate when I think there is a chance of seeing skilled players competing in a well organised and ambitious Bristol City team. As you say, not seen that in a long while. I'm taking a break.

• Like 1

Just now, Red Exile said:

I'm not quite so angry this morning, but you have hit the nail on the head. It's supposed to be about watching entertaining football, not an excruciating loyalty test. I'll be back at the Gate when I think there is a chance of seeing skilled players competing in a well organised and ambitious Bristol City team. As you say, not seen that in a long while. I'm taking a break.

I have had a season ticket since I stopped playing football around 15-16 years ago but my patience and loyalty are being severely tested now. If my elderly uncle who comes to the Gate for the social more than anything wants to carry on then so will I. If he knocks it on the head I will be seriously thinking about groundhopping from next season. The football is so bad that I just won't miss it. Like others I just stayed in my seat when we equalised last week because I was so bloody disappointed in the 40 minutes that preceeded it - I had no enthusiasm whatsoever and that can't be right. I don't blame Nigel Pearson for that because I know what a shambles he has inherited and also this has been going on for years. Grateful to our Owner for the current state of affairs - **** that.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Numero Uno said:

I have had a season ticket since I stopped playing football around 15-16 years ago but my patience and loyalty are being severely tested now. If my elderly uncle who comes to the Gate for the social more than anything wants to carry on then so will I. If he knocks it on the head I will be seriously thinking about groundhopping from next season. The football is so bad that I just won't miss it. Like others I just stayed in my seat when we equalised last week because I was so bloody disappointed in the 40 minutes that preceeded it - I had no enthusiasm whatsoever and that can't be right. I don't blame Nigel Pearson for that because I know what a shambles he has inherited and also this has been going on for years. Grateful to our Owner for the current state of affairs - **** that.

I took a break for a variety of reasons in the Millen/McInnes/SOD era. Fortunately most of those reasons no longer apply, but the common thread is incompetent management of the club and squads assembled that can barely compete, a total lack of ambition.

Came back with gusto when Cotts got the job...the break did me and my relationship with City a lot of good. I fear we are back in the bad old days.

Just now, Red Exile said:

I took a break for a variety of reasons in the Millen/McInnes/SOD era. Fortunately most of those reasons no longer apply, but the common thread is incompetent management of the club and squads assembled that can barely compete, a total lack of ambition.

Came back with gusto when Cotts got the job...the break did me and my relationship with City a lot of good. I fear we are back in the bad old days.

Agreed. You get the impression that the football side of the operation is wholly dependent upon the Owners latest "whim".

Sadly the entire infrastructure of football in England needs radical reform, which it is unlikely to get.

At our level we are likely to see a severe drop in attendances over the next decade which will of itself necessitate change.

The top league may split into two but whatever happens it will become divorced from the rest of the football pyramid; perhaps even being promotion and relegation restricted to Premier League A and B

Not to worry I am happy down here in Sussex to watch the progress of Worthing led by a young owner and an experienced manager.  Football played without mega bucks at a very acceptable Isthmian League standard, and no car park full of the players’ expensive cars!

• Robin 1

Decided not to renew my season ticket this year, first time in 13 years. And now I'm on the outside looking in I really don't miss it, even if City were doing well I'm not sure I would still renew.

No where to park, £5 per pint in pre poured  plastic glasses and utter rubbish being played on the pitch. And we are still supposed to be grateful for fantastic facilities and how great the Lansdown family have been?

I was always a great defender of the Lansdowns but I was told once you stand back and take a look, you will see them in a different light.

I started a thread the other week to ask how many other teams had been promoted within the Lansdowns tenure. And I was not surprised to see the amount of other football clubs around the same size which had made it to the Premiership promise land, some of which are still there.

So the big question is how can a massively successful businessman, be so unsuccessful in football. Or is success measured on the profitability on the construction project surrounding the football club? 

I guess we will find out eventually!

Edited by big p
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, Red Army 75 said:

Lansdown has admitted he is seeking new investment. Jon won’t be carrying on with it. People come and go . IMO the club needs freshening up . Bristol City football club. Not the Bristol Sport nonsense that can go no interest in that at all. Time for a change 

We are not an attractive investment proposition at the mo’.  Costs are too high, and I very much suspect SL wants too much £ for what he’s offering.

• Like 1

On 04/11/2021 at 11:05, Galley is our king said:

I think actually YOU should be ashamed!

If he walks away now I wouldn't blame him and it would be ****'s like you who would be responsible.

Think you need to take off those rose tinted glasses and wake up to what is happening at AG. Punters like you are just what Jon and Steve Lansdown rely on. This football club has been on the slide for some time now, has been run with no Board (joke) so no ability to challenge internally and no chairman (Jon Lansdown is not a Chairman). It is a complete and utter shambles. I have made my views clear about Bristol Sport which IMO  is just an accountants plan to protect Lansdown's investment.
In the meantime, the football club drifts from one mess to another.