IGNORED

Lansdown should be embarrassed and ashamed

dREDful

18 minutes ago, steviestevieneville said:

Sick of hearing this bollocks. Because he’s spent money on the ground & HPC. He’s treated like a messiah. 
There’s no doubt this mess is 100% his fault. He appointed mark ashhton in 2012 to recruit the worse squad I’ve seen in decades. Then reappoints him to rip the heart out of the title winning squad & replace them with overpaid shit we got now. In over twenty years he got one manager appointment right GJ . That’s it . He’s made poor decision after poor decision & personally I’d be happy if he sold up. Apart from bricks & mortar , we’ve not really progressed , certainly on the pitch. 

Cotts?

• Like 2

28 minutes ago, steviestevieneville said:

Sick of hearing this bollocks. Because he’s spent money on the ground & HPC. He’s treated like a messiah. 
There’s no doubt this mess is 100% his fault. He appointed mark ashhton in 2012 to recruit the worse squad I’ve seen in decades. Then reappoints him to rip the heart out of the title winning squad & replace them with overpaid shit we got now. In over twenty years he got one manager appointment right GJ . That’s it . He’s made poor decision after poor decision & personally I’d be happy if he sold up. Apart from bricks & mortar , we’ve not really progressed , certainly on the pitch. 

Not by me he isn’t.

The man is a buffoon when it comes to football. He has absolutely no interest in BCFC other than what he can get out of it.

Many will talk about how grateful we must be and to be careful what we wish for.

Bollocks. All Lansdown has done is create a long term legacy for himself and his family built on freeholds in BS3.

Once where the football club owned its own ground and where fans were able to have a financial interest in their club we now have a situation where an ultimate beneficial owner who lives offshore to mitigate his tax owns all he can see - through a multitude of layered companies.

But hey. We can sit in comfort. We can pay nearly £6 for a pint of cider. Or nearly a fiver for a pie. **** me I paid an arm and a leg for 3 Killers tickets…

Kerching Mr Lansdown. You’ve got your hands firmly on the cash cow’s udders and bugger me are you squeezing on her teats.

Meanwhile we’ve got Capn Dan still lumping it forward. 

Christ alive. What an absolute shambles. Bet HL isn’t run like this….

• Like 14
  • Haha 2

29 minutes ago, BigAl&Toby said:

Not by me he isn’t.

The man is a buffoon when it comes to football. He has absolutely no interest in BCFC other than what he can get out of it.

Many will talk about how grateful we must be and to be careful what we wish for.

Bollocks. All Lansdown has done is create a long term legacy for himself and his family built on freeholds in BS3.

Once where the football club owned its own ground and where fans were able to have a financial interest in their club we now have a situation where an ultimate beneficial owner who lives offshore to mitigate his tax owns all he can see - through a multitude of layered companies.

But hey. We can sit in comfort. We can pay nearly £6 for a pint of cider. Or nearly a fiver for a pie. **** me I paid an arm and a leg for 3 Killers tickets…

Kerching Mr Lansdown. You’ve got your hands firmly on the cash cow’s udders and bugger me are you squeezing on her teats.

Meanwhile we’ve got Capn Dan still lumping it forward. 

Christ alive. What an absolute shambles. Bet HL isn’t run like this….

Or we can accept that Championship football now is big business, requiring an element of investment just to semi-keep up with the Jones’s. You might not like the structuring of the club and the family that have chosen to invest money that they are never going to see back, but to even have a chance of the dream of Prem football, this is the only way to do it these days. I’ll accept that Brentford have succeeded, but I think their success is a one off in the scheme of things and won’t be immediately repeated.

I don’t know what dream you have about have about how you want the club to be run and where you want it to be, but the UK football model of today and the funds needed to be successful is not set up for fan ownership and £2 a pint at the bar… That said I pay just under a fiver a pint at my local conference league south side…

Edited by bexhill reds
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Andrew_V1 said:

I don’t buy that look at the squad wilder assembled to take Sheffield Utd up?

Also look at Coventry and Blackpool this year there’s no way their wages and fees come anywhere near ours.

we have overspent like kids in a sweet shop on absolute litter we fans are suffering but the club are frankly getting what it deserves 

I like this post 

1 hour ago, Smokey said:

He has to subsidise the club due to his spending, yet for some reason gets praise for it

I like this one too, actually I like this one even more.

1 hour ago, Fuber said:

Was Dawe not Chairman until 2016?

Yes, but he was suffering ill-health and had stepped back a bit from what I recall.  Was chatting to someone in recruitment the other day and he said Keith was bonkers!

15 minutes ago, bexhill reds said:

Or we can accept that Championship football now is big business, requiring an element of investment just to semi-keep up with the Jones’s. You might not like the structuring of the club and the family that have chosen to invest money that they are never going to see back, but to even have a chance of the dream of Prem football, this is the only way to do it these days. I’ll accept that Brentford have succeeded, but I think their success is a one off in the scheme of things and won’t be immediately repeated.

I don’t know what dream you have about have about how you want the club to be run and where you want it to be, but the UK football model of today and the funds needed to be successful is not set up for fan ownership and £2 a pint at the bar… That said I pay just under a fiver a pint at my local conference league south side…

Two things.

We aren’t keeping up. We’re going backwards. Have been for a long time.

Does Lansdown run his other business interests like he plays with the football club? Do his HL clients accept week on week poor portfolio performance?

Won’t get his investment back? Then what’s his motivation for doing it? He’ll have an exit plan - long before he put his hand in his pocket.

The clue is in the word freehold. The ground. Ashton Vale - ever wondered if he really wanted to develop a new stadium there? Or did he ride his Trojan nag over the rough land to get what he really wanted - a nice, lucrative resi consent?

One things for certain. If his fund managers were as inept as Ashton and the rest of the shower of shit we’ve become used to over the years the regulators would be crawling all over the shiny office in Canons Marsh.

Meanwhile us footy fans have to be grateful……

• Like 9

1 minute ago, Davefevs said:

I like this post 

I like this one too, actually I like this one even more.

Yes, but he was suffering ill-health and had stepped back a bit from what I recall.  Was chatting to someone in recruitment the other day and he said Keith was bonkers!

Yet still achieved better recruitment under him than Ashton.

How shite must the latter have been?

48 minutes ago, bexhill reds said:

One off? so Huddersfield, Cardiff, Swansea, Bournemouth etc etc need I go on? and £2 a pint where on earth did he say he expected that? a reasonable price maybe on a par with say a pub in the general area, come on the price for the casual visitor is a bit much, the family that run my local charge me £4 for a pint of Kronenbourg. they also have to make a living and don't charge me £40 before I have even bought one, look I know the players have to be paid but while people such as yourself keep making excuses for it it will just carry on.

• Flames 1

5 hours ago, pillred said:

One off? so Huddersfield, Cardiff, Swansea, Bournemouth etc etc need I go on? and £2 a pint where on earth did he say he expected that? a reasonable price maybe on a par with say a pub in the general area, come on the price for the casual visitor is a bit much, the family that run my local charge me £4 for a pint of Kronenbourg. they also have to make a living and don't charge me £40 before I have even bought one, look I know the players have to be paid but while people such as yourself keep making excuses for it it will just carry on.

You’ve missed my point entirely, the whole jumpers for goalposts, family club with everyone a shareholder does not work at this level anymore when you have clubs with literally 100s of £M from even a brief Prem status pitched against you. 

I suspect your local where you pay a £4 for a pint of Kronenbourg does not have a list of individuals who are on £15k to £30k a week, match day revenue is a useful source of income back into the club.

The post I replied to is from someone who clearly hates the Lansdowns for whatever reason and has this quaint idea of how the club should be run, I’m not going to defend the owners for every decision they’ve made, but the club is in a better place to actually compete in this division once the playing side has been sorted.

Still, Lansdown’s out and some form of dubious source of Russian, Chinese or Saudi money in then eh? Cos that the only places where that level of investment is going to come from….

• Like 3

6 hours ago, BigAl&Toby said:

Two things.

We aren’t keeping up. We’re going backwards. Have been for a long time.

Does Lansdown run his other business interests like he plays with the football club? Do his HL clients accept week on week poor portfolio performance?

Won’t get his investment back? Then what’s his motivation for doing it? He’ll have an exit plan - long before he put his hand in his pocket.

The clue is in the word freehold. The ground. Ashton Vale - ever wondered if he really wanted to develop a new stadium there? Or did he ride his Trojan nag over the rough land to get what he really wanted - a nice, lucrative resi consent?

One things for certain. If his fund managers were as inept as Ashton and the rest of the shower of shit we’ve become used to over the years the regulators would be crawling all over the shiny office in Canons Marsh.

Meanwhile us footy fans have to be grateful……

Don’t know the man, so can’t comment on his business model, it is clear that Ashton Gate is a much better place to got to now than when I first started going in the 80s and 90s, and the facilities to attract and develop players is exceptional and we stand a chance of competing with Prem academies for local talent. 

Championship football is not cheap at any level when you are paying salaries of £15-£30k per week, and the prices we are seeing for tickets and food / drink prices reflect that, and clearly they’ve been pitched at a level that some are prepared to pay, but the club needs to do all it can to bring in additional revenue either through match day income or making use of the facilities all year round, which I suspect is the thought process behind the hotel and arena bolt-ones that are planned.

If he’s got plans for some residential portfolio to bring about some form of ROI then good for him, but I don’t think that is the sole purpose of his ownership, and I suspect certainly not why he became involved.

I’m not going to defend all of his decision making on the playing side though, in that respect some of the things put in place have have poor and bringing in a football CEO with pretty much a free reign has probably been the worst of them, combined with this well intentioned but largely overly optimistic of a team based on local talent, which is something that Pearson has recently remarked on.

You reap what you sow is an often used cliche but that is pretty much where we are now on all aspects of the footballing side, and the drivel that we’ve had to put up with for the last 18 months is tough to watch, and I can’t see any form of magic wand that is going to be waved to correct this anytime soon.

I don’t think that any reasoned argument will do much for your opinion and it is something you are entitled to hold, but I genuinely believe that we are in a better place to compete with higher number clubs who are either receiving or have benefitted from parachute payments that are in the Championship now.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

8 hours ago, BCFCGav said:

I honestly do fear change. I’d rather suffer with this club than lose it altogether. We just can’t know what we’d end up with.

If thats your feelings, then you are of course welcome to them, but its a very backward way of looking at things. Change happens & i would be 99.9% sure it would not lead to the end of the club.

Clubs like Bury & Macclesfield can’t be used as a yard stick to say “i never want this club to change”. Lansdown has had his time in my eyes, & apart from a stadium (which is now tied to him) & a training ground, he aint done anything of note on the pitch.

Edited by Mr Hankey
  • Like 2

19 minutes ago, bexhill reds said:

Don’t know the man, so can’t comment on his business model, it is clear that Ashton Gate is a much better place to got to now than when I first started going in the 80s and 90s, and the facilities to attract and develop players is exceptional and we stand a chance of competing with Prem academies for local talent. 

Championship football is not cheap at any level when you are paying salaries of £15-£30k per week, and the prices we are seeing for tickets and food / drink prices reflect that, and clearly they’ve been pitched at a level that some are prepared to pay, but the club needs to do all it can to bring in additional revenue either through match day income or making use of the facilities all year round, which I suspect is the thought process behind the hotel and arena bolt-ones that are planned.

If he’s got plans for some residential portfolio to bring about some form of ROI then good for him, but I don’t think that is the sole purpose of his ownership, and I suspect certainly not why he became involved.

I’m not going to defend all of his decision making on the playing side though, in that respect some of the things put in place have have poor and bringing in a football CEO with pretty much a free reign has probably been the worst of them, combined with this well intentioned but largely overly optimistic of a team based on local talent, which is something that Pearson has recently remarked on.

You reap what you sow is an often used cliche but that is pretty much where we are now on all aspects of the footballing side, and the drivel that we’ve had to put up with for the last 18 months is tough to watch, and I can’t see any form of magic wand that is going to be waved to correct this anytime soon.

I don’t think that any reasoned argument will do much for your opinion and it is something you are entitled to hold, but I genuinely believe that we are in a better place to compete with higher number clubs who are either receiving or have benefitted from parachute payments that are in the Championship now.

See I have met the man. Several times.

I don’t hate him. I hate what football has become. And Stevie is a part of that. A big part.

Attract and develop? I don’t see any evidence of that. Results over time certainly don’t seem to support we’re attracting anyone. And as for developing….

Those that have been developed are then sold. To cover losses on many others who we brought in but proved to be useless. Or perhaps to provide someone with a dividend?

And to suggest that the club needs to increase revenue opportunities is a nonsense. The club doesn’t get that revenue does it? Surely it filters back to the man squeezing those teats.

But again here’s the question. How can someone who’s been so successful elsewhere in his professional life get it so wrong when it comes to BCFC?

As I said if all those individuals with funds invested in HL portfolios had suffered such inept performances over the years and were told to accept it and enjoy their glossy brochures  would they put up with it?

I know i wouldn’t. You might take a different view though…. ?

• Like 2

46 minutes ago, BigAl&Toby said:

I don’t hate him. I hate what football has become. And Stevie is a part of that. A big part.

Attract and develop? I don’t see any evidence of that. Results over time certainly don’t seem to support we’re attracting anyone. And as for developing….

Those that have been developed are then sold. To cover losses on many others who we brought in but proved to be useless. Or perhaps to provide someone with a dividend?

And to suggest that the club needs to increase revenue opportunities is a nonsense. The club doesn’t get that revenue does it? Surely it filters back to the man squeezing those teats.

But again here’s the question. How can someone who’s been so successful elsewhere in his professional life get it so wrong when it comes to BCFC?

As I said if all those individuals with funds invested in HL portfolios had suffered such inept performances over the years and were told to accept it and enjoy their glossy brochures  would they put up with it?

The whole point of FFP means that match day revenue is important, as is income derived from selling assets such as players. The more the club makes the more they can spend on the playing side.

Can’t see much taken in the form of dividends based on the company accounts, more additional shares issued to cover the losses. I suspect the balance sheet for last season will be apocalyptic…

They are players coming through the systems that we have and will benefit from, and I suspect we’ll see the long-term benefit of the HPC in the future, and I’ll agree our transfer policy in the past few years aside from a few notable exceptions has been really poor, and I suspect they know that and I suspect the Lansdowns appreciate that and are not going to throw good money after bad.

Good debate, and one I don’t think we’ll ever see eye to eye on though. I’d still buy you a 6 quid pint though….

Edited by bexhill reds
  • Thanks 1

9 hours ago, Ivorguy said:

But to pretty well nil effect

With no Board worth the name

With Bristol Sport

and with snide comments about fans

I for one have absolutely no patience left.  He simply isn’t good enough for The City

Agreed.

The whole Bristol Sport idea was just a clever “accountants” pipe dream. I for one hate the Bristol Sport concept, too much distraction involved from other sports. It just dilutes and takes away the focus of Bristol City FC. Bristol Bears is now no.1 sport at AG.
The concept was doomed to fail, backed up by totally ridiculous appointments at management level. Giving Ashton so much power was just crazy. I was slagged off about it years ago, well now the chickens have come home to roost. Shambolic. Which is why I am glad I didn’t get a ST this season. 
This is not the Bristol City I have supported since the 80s. 

Edited by Tin Soldier
  • Like 3

10 hours ago, daored said:

How much has Lansdown put into this club ?

And due his to falling asleep at the wheel that we are in such a difficult position on the pitch-that's where it matters..generosity re; infrastructure is another story - for what my opinion's worth I see that "Bristol Sport" has been a massive distraction for Mr Lansdown & detrimental to BCFC on the pitch & engagement of our supporters.

Make no bones,,we are indeed poor enough to be relegated.

What will you then say about stadium & HPC ??....the best in league one?

Edited by Son of Fred

9 hours ago, steviestevieneville said:

Always honest .Doesn’t  name names , but I’d be amazed if we see vyner in a city shirt again. 

wrong  thread 

This shower of no hopers I think will make NP very ill, he looked very very sick of what's been happening on the pitch and it wouldn't surprise me if he walks away and we will be back to the head coach taking over again. I really hope it doesn't happen and he can turn things around. Unfortunately while he has to work with some of these players, I can't see it happening soon and it will be a real struggle for him to keep us out of the relegation zone.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, BigAl&Toby said:

I think Hargreaves had a lot to do with SL's success in his financial profession.

• Like 1

Personally I would rather see investment in decent players than in a fancy stadium or a fancy (laughably mis-named) high performance centre or a rugby team or a basketball team.

I've been a supporter since before the Dolman stand was built and have seen all the ups and downs and I don't understand how anybody thinks the millions he's spent could possibly have been worth it if you have actually watched the quality of the football for the last few years.

• Like 2
  • Confused 1

13 minutes ago, EstoniaTallinnRed said:

I think Hargreaves had a lot to do with SL's success in his financial profession.

Well of course; it was a partnership.

There's no need to start slating his main career given that it was wildly successful!

To my mind his only real disaster at City was his blind faith in Mark Ashton over far too many years despite the latter's terrible record pre-City as was widely pointed out at the time of his appointment.

And that disaster is still casting a very long shadow.

• Like 2