IGNORED

Nigel Pearson

Alan Dicks

Pearson played a blinder sucking a 3 year deal out of Lansdown as he knew we were vulnerable after the Holden debacle, and as others have said, knew how soft the club is from top to bottom - proven by the sanctioning of those 3 Leicester old boys who look an absolute waste of a wage. 

• Flames 1

Have we been taken in by the Pearson hype. Previously successful managers can lose their mojo and he may have.

I think we have got to the stage where we really should have seen more of an improvement in the team and we haven't.

He has brought in 5 players who should have made the team look a bit better but they haven't really. Plus decent managers have the skill to get better from squads they inherit. 

• Like 6

5 minutes ago, Redstart said:

It's likely anyone would struggle to get a tune out of these players to be honest. We just seem to be hanging on to the January window, I hope we can afford and attract the type of players we desperately need. 

If not - job for Nuno ?

On paper it's not a bad team I don't think? Maybe Pearsons ways are too old school and they don't want to play for him. I wanted him here but nothing has changed even though there's been a over haul in the backroom staff we just aren't doing the basics. 

10 minutes ago, pl00peh91 said:

Too late to pry Ryan Lowe away from Plymouth?!

I think there was a grand sum of 2 posters on OTIB who wanted him at the right time, 18 months ago.

Far too frikking late now and I don't think we can expect the owners to make the right decision when the fans don't want it.

• Like 1

This is starting to feel so much like the O’Driscoll era. Comes in to get the wages down and rebuild, but doesn’t have the resources to change things quickly. Performances and atmosphere just goes down and down.

Having real doubts if NP can change things and at least motivate this lot. Our forwards don’t get the service, but are so truly average at this level. Wells can’t play in this team. Martin is too slow and cumbersome. What does it say about Palmer and O’Dowda if they can’t get in this team.

One hope? Still two thirds of the season left to get their fingers out - provided they find a way of getting a few combative loans in January.

• Like 3

7 minutes ago, pl00peh91 said:

Too late to pry Ryan Lowe away from Plymouth?!

Probably! They are flying and I think if it was me, might be hard to leave that at the minute.

8 minutes ago, Countryfile said:

He really must go with the youth until Christmas and then recruit as well as possible.

James has been injured for some time, hence his poor performances, Wells and Martin are probably the worst front pairing in the league.

Weimann has had his one good game in ten, headless chicken tonight.

Said to my mates on the weekend it was nice to see Weimann. Look forward to seeing him again around Boxing Day ?

3 minutes ago, Redpool said:

Why do people believe this squad is average or should be doing better?

Its been over 3 years of proof now this is a squad built of league one calibre players under the direction of Ashton, Johnson and Holden.

And who let them run riot unchecked and unchallenged? Steve Lansdown

This is Lansdowns mess. Thus, should be him dishing out the money to sign new players in January. Regardless of how much he’s put into the club.

Because this really isn’t an awful squad but it is offering up awful performances and lately awful results. Looking at the table, you might say it is about where we should be. I can accept that. 

The problem is, it feels like it is getting a lot worse real quick. Bad enough where this is a bottom 3 side. And while a mess, this isn’t close to a bottom 3 squad. We should be seeing decent performances at the very least. That isn’t happening. We are regressing and it is a serious worry. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, AG City said:

Pearson played a blinder sucking a 3 year deal out of Lansdown as he knew we were vulnerable after the Holden debacle, and as others have said, knew how soft the club is from top to bottom - proven by the sanctioning of those 3 Leicester old boys who look an absolute waste of a wage. 

Great point... certain fans keep saying that Nige needs transfer windows to bring in his own players but King and Simpson were poor options.

And whilst i don't think Matty James is the worst player in the world, he doesn't deserve anywhere near the plaudits he's received to date.

We are in a long relegation battle and there is no sugar coating it

Just now, JoeAman08 said:

Probably! They are flying and I think if it was me, might be hard to leave that at the minute.

Said to my mates on the weekend it was nice to see Weimann. Look forward to seeing him again around Boxing Day ?

Because this really isn’t an awful squad but it is offering up awful performances and lately awful results. Looking at the table, you might say it is about where we should be. I can accept that. 

The problem is, it feels like it is getting a lot worse real quick. Bad enough where this is a bottom 3 side. And while a mess, this isn’t close to a bottom 3 squad. We should be seeing decent performances at the very least. That isn’t happening. We are regressing and it is a serious worry. 

It is an awful squad filled with journeyman and league one standard players. It’s not difficult to see 

• Like 6

I think we need to understand that the club is currently 3-5 months into a transition process that is going to be, as they tend to be, a bumpy road.

We played ok for around an hour, James got injured, we tactically and mentally capitulated. That is both completely unacceptable and hugely concerning, and I don’t begrudge anyone who watched how tonight unfolded and questions if Pearson is the man to oversee the project.

With that said, I continue to be confused by how {essentially} everyone agreed this would be a very difficult season, survival is the aim, performances then reflect expectation but suddenly monocles are falling out. To say things like ‘we haven’t improved from last season’ is simply untrue. Not on the last 30 tonight, perhaps, and performances have tailed off lately (I really don’t give much consideration to results vs Bournemouth/West Brom), but we have shown sprouts of life at times that were absolutely nowhere to be seen as the shambles of last year drew to a close.

Slash the wage bill, stay up. Slash the wage bill, stay up. Slash the wage bill, stay up.. That is what this season is about. On the last 30 minutes of tonight there’s a real worry we might not manage the latter however we’re currently 10 clear of the drop so, taking a breath, on course to meet our aims.

Edited by S_C
  • Like 13

2 minutes ago, JoeAman08 said:

I think this the concern for many now.

1 minute ago, JonDolman said:

Holden had us 8th going into February, with injury numbers ranging from 5 players to over half the squad throughout the whole season.

Otib: 'He is clueless, sack him!'

Pearson loses 3-0 away at Birmingham and has us 18th. Looking like a team heading for relegation.

Otib: 'Pearson has such a difficult job.'

Have a day off you boring ****.

• Like 1

As someone else has said it's similar to the O'Driscoll situation, a good reputation elsewhere (Leicester & Doncaster), talk a great game and both taking over a following a basket case of recent years (Johnson/Ashton, Holden & Coppell, Millen, McInnes) and then having the unenviable task of clearing up the mess. 

Both are eloquent speakers and talk a good game and no doubt put a lot of hard work behind the scenes to improve things but ultimately being associated with absolutely turgid performances on the pitch.

Edited by !james
  • Like 3

2 minutes ago, JonDolman said:

Holden had us 8th going into February, with injury numbers ranging from 5 players to over half the squad throughout the whole season.

Pearson loses 3-0 away at Birmingham and has us 18th. Looking like a team heading for relegation.

Holden lost 0-6 at Watford, and Pearson had us 4th in August.

Picking out random points in time to make a non-point is easy.

• Like 9

3 minutes ago, JonDolman said:

I thought Dean Holden had a lot of sympathy from many. 

I think Pearson has also taken on a difficult job.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, JonDolman said:

Can you not recollect just how shit we were under Holden?

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, cidercity1987 said:

I think there was a grand sum of 2 posters on OTIB who wanted him at the right time, 18 months ago.

Far too frikking late now and I don't think we can expect the owners to make the right decision when the fans don't want it.

Plymouth fans were calling fir his head only 12 months ago

6 minutes ago, JonDolman said:

So you are saying that we should have stuck with Holden then?