IGNORED

The Leaders

Edge1981

We used to hear LJ bang on about our lack of leaders and it seemed that he never addressed the issue.

Holden came in and again did not address the issue other than signing Williams. 

Pearson signed some experience and trusted players in James, King and Simpson. Players I thought were leaders and would take the game by the scruff of the neck but still nothing has changed. 

is it a case of the leaders are out injured or do we lack any true leaders on the pitch and around the squad?

53 minutes ago, Edge1981 said:

We used to hear LJ bang on about our lack of leaders and it seemed that he never addressed the issue.

Holden came in and again did not address the issue other than signing Williams. 

Pearson signed some experience and trusted players in James, King and Simpson. Players I thought were leaders and would take the game by the scruff of the neck but still nothing has changed. 

is it a case of the leaders are out injured or do we lack any true leaders on the pitch and around the squad?

You could argue that despite not having a great game personally, that one “leader” going off on 54 minutes cost us our shape and discipline. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

You could argue that despite not having a great game personally, that one “leader” going off on 54 minutes cost us our shape and discipline. 

Definite downturn after his replacement. Though his performances and effectiveness have been diminishing over recent games. Makes me wonder if he's been carrying an injury and we had nobody available to replace him, we certainly are thin on the ground regarding options for selection. That is, unless you select O'Dowda and Palmer as the stalwarts of the team, along with a few more inexperienced players from the development squad.

• Like 1

All managers use the lack of leaders excuse when things go badly, like they always say the squad isn't fit enough when the take over. Basically covering themselves.

Many people seem to associate shouting and aggression with leadership when in many cases it has the opposite effect and certainly over time any effect it has dwindles.

Kalas is a fantastic leader, Bentley leads, Weimann organises and encourages the younger players constantly.

Not everyone jumps when someone shouts.

Edited by VT05763

There’s no leaders at this club, it’s a disconnected shambles from the top down, our owner is rarely seen at the club, do we have a board? Jon Lansdown puts out a tweet when we win or the bears win, the manager was sat in the stand, who’s the leader on the pitch? Who had their sleeves rolled up ready for a battle and to lead the team? Pathetic, half hearted challenges standing miles off the opposition, bullied off the ball easily. It’s a cosy comfy set up where there’s a complete abdication of responsibility. Perhaps mr Lansdown might care to spend a bit more time around the training ground putting the fear of god into his employees as I’m sure he would at his other business. 

• Like 3

Not too worried about the lack of leaders. Bit overrated in my opinion. Enough experience around to sift through problems on the pitch, in theory anyway.

Our lack of good footballers is the real worry. Somehow our footballing ability gets worse the further forward you get. Opposite of what you want really. 

• Like 1
  • Flames 1

33 minutes ago, JoeAman08 said:

Not too worried about the lack of leaders. Bit overrated in my opinion. Enough experience around to sift through problems on the pitch, in theory anyway.

Our lack of good footballers is the real worry. Somehow our footballing ability gets worse the further forward you get. Opposite of what you want really. 

Every successful team needs leaders on the pitch, someone the rest look to when it’s not going well, who lead by example and won’t tolerate lack of effort and pride. Roy kean, Tony Adams John terry, winners, leaders,organisers. We have literally nobody who fits the bill, a group of players who stand about looking at each other when yet another soft goal is conceded, it’s embarrassing. 

21 minutes ago, Rob k said:

We had a leader in Pack and someone thought it was wise to sell him to Cardiff for a few million - still think that’s one of our worst ever bits of business we have done as a club 

Good business (£s), shit awful timing and succession planning.  Is that fair?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Dottie said:

During the huddle at kick off, Wells was taking the lead & doing the talking. It was the most animated I’ve ever known him, I thought it was good to see. 

I asked my boy when I saw this , “is Wells captain tonight “ as he was giving it some in the huddle. Good to see but unfortunately that’s where it stopped. 
Rest of season is going to be painful if performances continue like this. 

I for one cannot stand seeing Pearson sat on high, get on the touch line and ******* lead from the front like a manager should 

1 hour ago, Dottie said:

During the huddle at kick off, Wells was taking the lead & doing the talking. It was the most animated I’ve ever known him, I thought it was good to see. 

Yes, that was really interesting, wasn’t it?  I half expected him to emerge from the huddle wearing the captain’s armband.

I don't think "leaders" necessarily means older players. It's players of any age having the confidence to take ownership and initiative in games.

The Cotterill promotion team was largely players in their early/mid 20s with Wilbraham and Elliot. That team was full of "leaders" all over the pitch in that plenty of players were prepared to take ownership and initiative. That team in the 14/15 season won the majority of games.

I think it's a bit of a paradox - the confidence to take ownership and initiative comes from winning. I guarantee, if we were on a 5 game winning streak we'd have threads about Tanner, Massengo and Atkinson looking like "leaders" - and that is because in that situation they'd have the confidence to play in that way. 

There aren't any leaders in this whole squad. 

The fact that Nahki Wells, a bloke who clearly doesn't want to be here and has no loyalty or passion towards our club, was the one leading the pre match huddle says it all.

The only one who attempts to lead out there on the pitch is Bentley but a keeper as captain just doesn't work.

11 hours ago, Cardy said:

Our leader sits in the stand about 50 yards away from where his players need him. Perhaps he needs to lead from the front on matchdays…..

He says he doesn't coach, he clearly prefers a nice soft seat in the stand to being close to his players and he cannot organise and motivate.

He seems to think that talking to the press is below him.

What does he bring?