IGNORED

Pearson post match comments

And Its Smith

1 hour ago, The Dolman Pragmatist said:

He could have signed a striker in the summer, but he chose not to.

This is his squad.  He inherited some players, he signed others.  His squad.  I’m so fed up with the ‘emperor’s new clothes’ refusal to acknowledge what is right in front of our noses.  He is not delivering as our manager, and the way we are performing under him is unacceptable.  Nothing to do with Ashton, Johnson, Holden or anyone else.  This is about Pearson.

1 hour ago, VT05763 said:

Precisely.

It is his squad.  But it’s not a squad he’d have chosen given the constraints imposed is it?  That’s a Big difference.  In an ideal world he might’ve kept one or two that were OOC, he’d have moved on two or three that are in contract to either retain those he let go….or generate funds for other players.

The recent trend of performances isn’t great, but you have to see if that trend reverts to better performances like earlier this season.  For 55-60 minutes we played fine with a bit of a lack of quality when it truly mattered.  But we did create good situations last night in that hour.  I’d say we were the better team, not by much, but were.

What is indisputable is the financial mess we are in. And that is stifling squad building.

• Like 3

32 minutes ago, IAmNick said:

So which of the senior players you mentioned do you think he's lost the trust and respect of? And why?

It’s the usual stuff that comes out.  We had this last week, when VT said players has been thrown under the bus, then had to re-state, not everyone gets on with Nige.  Massive difference.  And pretty usual in the workplace, and even more so in football squads.

• Like 2

9 hours ago, Davefevs said:

Why?

I thought he played ok tonight.  He came in and did a reasonable job in a different position (most, me included thought he’d play RCB3, but he played in the middle).  He got done by Deeney for their second, admittedly.  He tried to pass the ball out at the back, not always successfully, but it was a bit better than we’ve seen of late…for the first hour.

Fine if you have a different view.

My view too but I’d bet my house he’ll be left out at Coventry based on his comments afterwards.

Expect him & Wells to be dropped.

9 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

It’s the usual stuff that comes out.  We had this last week, when VT said players has been thrown under the bus, then had to re-state, not everyone gets on with Nige.  Massive difference.  And pretty usual in the workplace, and even more so in football squads.

Will be interesting to see how this pans out in the next couple of weeks.

I thought I said he "throws players under the bus" meaning plural ? Did it again last night with the "soft" comment, implying not his problem, nothing he can do.

Of course he never names anyone, and yep not everyone in a workplace gets on.

Edited by VT05763

18 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

It is his squad.  But it’s not a squad he’d have chosen given the constraints imposed is it?  That’s a Big difference.  In an ideal world he might’ve kept one or two that were OOC, he’d have moved on two or three that are in contract to either retain those he let go….or generate funds for other players.

The recent trend of performances isn’t great, but you have to see if that trend reverts to better performances like earlier this season.  For 55-60 minutes we played fine with a bit of a lack of quality when it truly mattered.  But we did create good situations last night in that hour.  I’d say we were the better team, not by much, but were.

What is indisputable is the financial mess we are in. And that is stifling squad building.

This squad of players is far better that the mess we are currently seeing. Put all the other problems aside for a moment, the managers job is to get the best out of his team (goes for a regular workplace also) 

it is blindingly obvious that the current manager/coaching set up is failing in this basic requirement.

Many, many managers have gone into similar situations and succeeded or at the very least not made it worse.

Too much of a blame culture going on - IMO.

But of course I could be totally wrong and it is all the players fault.

Interesting times ahead for sure.

Edited by VT05763

2 hours ago, Lucan said:

That's the same in almost every managerial appointment though. It's rare you get to go in and clean the decks. Part of the job is working with what you have.

Absolutely. But it’s also indicative of the players he inherited either not being anywhere near good enough ability-wise, or being past their best. 

The fact that a RB who was playing L2 football less than three months ago and a CB who was in L1 last season are two of our better, more consistent players shows the shite left behind.

By the shite left behind I mean Vyner, Bakinson, COD, Palmer, Semenyo and increasingly Dasilva. Martin, Weimann, Wells, Bentley and Kalas could all be contributing much more than they are. 

Baker’s done OK but is injured again, leaving Massengo as the only exception of those signed under the previous regime — and let’s not forget Holden wanted to bomb him out in exchange for Birmingham’s Pedersen last January.

King and Simpson on one-year deals I have no issue with; both are PL winners who should be able to pass on valuable experience. But their best days are behind them. James is a good signing, look at the way we crumbled last night after he went off for evidence of that. 

What’s left is largely academy graduates who are learning on the job at this level and with no money to spend, I struggle to see what anyone could do with this squad. All my opinion, both now and last summer. 

Edited by tin
How could I forget COD!
  • Like 2
  • Flames 1

21 minutes ago, VT05763 said:

This squad of players is far better that the mess we are currently seeing. Put all the other problems aside for a moment, the managers job is to get the best out of his team (goes for a regular workplace also) 

it is blindingly obvious that the current manager/coaching set up is failing in this basic requirement.

Many, many managers have gone into similar situations and succeeded or at the very least not made it worse.

Too much of a blame culture going on - IMO.

But of course I could be totally wrong and it is all the players fault.

Interesting times ahead for sure.

I’d love to hear Nige’s comments on system and use of certain players, e.g. Martin.  I see problems, or at least things that I perceive to be problems and wonder what “they” see.

I don’t think anyone is saying it’s all the players fault, or Nige isn’t culpable btw.

He needs to find solutions, whatever they may be.

17 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

I’d love to hear Nige’s comments on system and use of certain players, e.g. Martin.  I see problems, or at least things that I perceive to be problems and wonder what “they” see.

I don’t think anyone is saying it’s all the players fault, or Nige isn’t culpable btw.

Yes it is strange and bordering on self inflicted stubbornness.

39 minutes ago, VT05763 said:

Yes it is strange and bordering on self inflicted stubbornness.

In fairness, you have to consider the audience.  Most aren’t interested in tactical stuff, and it’s probably for the domain of the training ground debrief today.  He could come out with “stuff” and then be seen as making excuses.

1 hour ago, Davefevs said:

I agree with that, Dave. IMO we look more solid in a back four, rather than a three, and I'd like to know why we've abandoned the solidity with which we started the season. There's not been more than a goal in it for most games this season, and I can accept the defeats to Bournemouth and WBA by more than one goal. But it was concerning to see the manner in which we lost last night. 

As for Martin, it's clear we don't have back-up for him. At the very least, we were a striker and a winger/wide attacker short when the August window closed. 

• Like 2

24 minutes ago, lukebcfc1989 said:

Look no further than the man in goal…

I remember when GJ took over and Steve Phillips seemed undroppable ?‍♂️ A fresh outlook is needed let O’Leary build and get confidence 

Whilst I don't think Bentley is having his finest season, I think we have bigger issues than the keeper right now. I can't think of many goals where it's been totally his fault.

I think firstly we need to stop the shots. It's been a longstanding issue but for me the midfielders need to do more to screen, harry, hassle, and generally disrupt our opponents play in the first half of our half. Stop the build up, stop the shots.

Bentley is currently having to deal with about 5 shots on target every game. That's high, most goalies will face around 3. Five a game (plus 10 more off target) creates a very high chance of something going wrong. Deflections, unpunished fouls, miscommunication etc, all get amplified.

Just looking at last night's goals. He has no chance with the first. The second he comes out to close the angle, which I think is the right thing there. The finish is good though and beats him. The third he's pressured into a hasty clearance which finds a blue player, Brum then happily pass through our midfield, take a free cross, and he's beaten at the post with a textbook header.

Does Max save all of those and so keep a clean sheet? I don't think so.

Secondly, do we want to disrupt this team even further by dropping one of the senior players, who last night captained the team? I'm not sure. You might argue that right now any change is good as we are that dreadful...but for me making changes for the sake of it isn't the answer.

Essentially, I think we've bigger issues in the outfield, and that's what we need to solve.

• Like 2

A couple of the issues for me is the protection in front of the back line and the inability to defend properly out wide at full back with way too much space given to attackers. This is way James & King are so important.

I disagree with a poster who said Bentley was poor. I think he's largely keeping us in games this season. 

• Like 5

Just now, Mr Chappers said:

Tanner & Atkinson look promising, but caught out a lot defensively, James looks shattered (understandably), Baker & Weimann bit of a stretch. King & Simpson have not really been a success.

Personally wouldn't have re-signed Baker on account of his injury record but there's more good signings than bad ones.  

6 minutes ago, Slippin cider said:

NP seemed very down and pissed off after that display and rightly so .

Yeah, Saturday he said the performance wasn't great but the result was more important. I wonder if that's given a little license in the players heads to not necessarily have to put the performance in, it would be very unprofessional but that is what we are seeing.

• Sad 1

So Nige, come and build us a wonderful new house please...

We are a bit short of mortar and the only tools we have are a fairly short ladder, screwdriver and hammer sorry. That said as you’ve built a few nice new houses before and therefore have great experience, I am sure you’ll be fine. We don’t have a spirit level as we can’t afford one but, just use your eye, you’ll be fine.

Oh, and that nice new shiny hammer you’ve been given, it might be that if we get the right offer, we might have to replace it with an old one with a dodgy handle, we need the money sorry.

You have some labourers to work with but all the decent ones have gone sorry, we had to trim costs hence we’ve been left with those who like to cut the odd corner and are a little work shy sorry.

Good luck with the build.

Yours Faithfully,

A multi-millionaire owner ?

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 3

8 minutes ago, PFree said:

So Nige, come and build us a wonderful new house please...

We are a bit short of mortar and the only tools we have are a fairly short ladder, screwdriver and hammer sorry. That said as you’ve built a few nice new houses before and therefore have great experience, I am sure you’ll be fine. We don’t have a spirit level as we can’t afford one but, just use your eye, you’ll be fine.

Oh, and that nice new shiny hammer you’ve been given, it might be that if we get the right offer, we might have to replace it with an old one with a dodgy handle, we need the money sorry.

You have some labourers to work with but all the decent ones have gone sorry, we had to trim costs hence we’ve been left with those who like to cut the odd corner and are a little work shy sorry.

Good luck with the build.

Yours Faithfully,

A multi-millionaire owner ?

And the previous owners built their house with straw, on dodgy foundations, so you'll need to demolish it before building yours. 

Edited by Merrick's Marvels
  • Like 2
  • Haha 2

19 hours ago, keflav said:

Stop sitting in the ******* stands and get on the touch line and instruct your players and get them playing... hiding in the stand like its not your fault is piss poor...

I imagine that he's trying to figure out who the passengers are - it's a much better view up there.

It's been said on this thread numerous times...

...for me, this is on the PLAYERS. They ain't good enough. And they aren't a team. 

It's a total car crash. If we avoid going down, it will be nothing short of a miracle.

I refuse to pay to watch this shambles. Nothing has changed since the loss at home to Blackburn - the last game I went to in Dec '19. There is zero movement. Ever. The players are lazy. There's no runs to pull teams out of shape in the midfield. It's like we're playing walking football against a team playing football. There's never a pass on. It's pathetic. 

• Like 1

11 hours ago, The Dolman Pragmatist said:

He could have signed a striker in the summer, but he chose not to.

This is his squad.  He inherited some players, he signed others.  His squad.  I’m so fed up with the ‘emperor’s new clothes’ refusal to acknowledge what is right in front of our noses.  He is not delivering as our manager, and the way we are performing under him is unacceptable.  Nothing to do with Ashton, Johnson, Holden or anyone else.  This is about Pearson.

Totally depends on your agenda re “is this his squad”

Tanner and Atkinson were good “new to club” signings and both  of them were well within our price/wages. James/King/Simpson defo his signings but only James signed to play 40+ games, whilst King/Simpson signed to be his eyes and ears round the club.

Baker a sensible resigning given our shortage of CB’s and also his championship experience on a reduced wage. Other options would have been someone like Tom Lees from Weds now at Huddersfield.

I think he would have taken Pato/Wash  over Palmer but contracts and our crazy wage bill (£30m) caused by Ashton (and some what LJ) have left us in a precarious position. Who knows but we could be Reading next season negotiating a points deduction….

I think NP quoted he didn’t want to bring players in that weren’t better than what we have already. That’s part of the problem we had under LJ in that we brought in volume rather quality. I know there was plenty of speculation around Michael Smith from Rotherham, but TBH £2m for a 30 year old league 1 player who has scored 18 career goals in the championship would have not been a good purchase IMO.

So yes this is some of his squad but not all his squad. We’ve been a team in decline for 3 years. Even under LJ results papered over our performances. There is no quick fix here and will take time. Patience required. 

• Like 6