IGNORED

Players you’d lose no sleep over if you never saw them in a City shirt again…

Fordy62

• Admin

Would some of those on your list, Bakinson springs to mind, become better players with more quaility and proper on field leaders around them?  If the answer is yes, then may be some get a reprieve if and when we can sign some players that can find space, make and receive a pass and open up options for others.

As strange as it may sound i think last night showed us why Pearson brought in Simpson and King, once James went off we were rudderless as well as leaderless and it was pretty much last seasons team. Had one of them been on the pitch we’d have had that bit of leadership on the pitch even if both of their best days are behind them. 

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Maesknoll Red said:

Would some of those on your list, Bakinson springs to mind, become better players with more quaility and proper on field leaders around them?  If the answer is yes, then may be some get a reprieve if and when we can sign some players that can find space, make and receive a pass and open up options for others.

Fair one. 

There’s a few in that list, Dasilva and Wells for instance that are capable of much, much better than they’re delivering at the moment, there were a lot of jealous clubs when we secured their services.

What the hell has happened and can they be that good again? 

I also think Bakinson and Vyner could flourish given a run in a team that was performing to a decent standard.

15 minutes ago, Red-Robbo said:

Simple economics means we aren't going to be waving goodbye to the majority of those on that list, in the summer.  However the departure of any one of them wouldn't concern me, and in some cases would cheer me. 

And the thing which stresses me out is that when we do gradually shed the dead wood we'll have to be replacing them with better players...on a shoestring budget.

The risk is that we end up with a squad filled with players trying to make the step up from lower leagues (or U23s), and we struggle to get a Championship worthy side together.

It will be a success in terms of reducingthe wage bill, but could be disastrous if we don't do incredible recruitment.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, mozo said:

And the thing which stresses me out is that when we do gradually shed the dead wood we'll have to be replacing them with better players...on a shoestring budget.

The risk is that we end up with a squad filled with players trying to make the step up from lower leagues (or U23s), and we struggle to get a Championship worthy side together.

It will be a success in terms of reducingthe wage bill, but could be disastrous if we don't do incredible recruitment.

Precisely. Which is why I think it'll be still work-in-progress at the start of next season, rather than a sea of new faces.

I'm quite optimistic in that I think if the right gems can be unearthed, the remaining team can click together and become more than the sum of its parts.  No one in Gary Johnson's 07/08 season was individually outstanding, but they did mesh as a team well enough to earn a play-off shot.

Time to find another Vardy, Nige! 

• Like 1

I can only comment on Saturdays performance ( 1st game I’ve been to in a long time ), but I think you could add a few more to that original list personally. 1st thing I always look for is ability, touch, composure, time on the ball, football intelligence & I didn’t see a lot of it on display on Saturday or last night ( all be it on the tv ). So I won’t chuck anyone under Pearson’s bus quite yet, but I have my doubts as to whether a few not mentioned are capable of being a middle/top end championship player. But as with managers, I’m happy to give them some time & hopefully they prove me wrong. COYR 

17 minutes ago, mozo said:

You’ve summarised the mess.

When did we last hear from SL?  If it is a mess, then come out and tell us why, and what the plan is.  That’s not me trying to deflect away from Nige or the players, because they are front of house and in the firing line.

I think he needs to be brutally honest with us.

Soundbites of “the accounts will be horrible”, are just that, soundbites.  Explain to us, why, and what the plan is.  I will not be fobbed off with….it’s all down to covid.

If he’s asked Nige to cut the wage bill by £x, tell us.

It can’t just be “words” and it can’t just be “covid”.

On the pitch, Nige needs to deliver more.

• Like 5

45 minutes ago, Red-Robbo said:

I'm quite optimistic in that I think if the right gems can be unearthed...

Time to find another Vardy, Nige! 

Didn't the thread about our recruitment team not dent your optimism?! I hope they know what they're doing?!

38 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

If he’s asked Nige to cut the wage bill by £x, tell us.

It can’t just be “words” and it can’t just be “covid”.

On the pitch, Nige needs to deliver more.

I think SL set NP the following objectives:

Reduce the wage bill - on target ✅

Progress our U23 talent - some success ?‍♂️

Begin to create a winning culture - failing ❌

Improve on 2020-21 season - achievable, but it'll be close ?

Then all of these carry on to the next season.

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, mozo said:

Didn't the thread about our recruitment team not dent your optimism?! I hope they know what they're doing?!

The departure of Ashton and the naive "throw some mud at the wall and see what sticks" Lee Johnson makes me a bit more optimistic.

Apart from Simpson, who has just lost whatever it was he had, all Nige's incomers have strengthened the team, without breaking the bank.  

We're still a weak, unbalanced, unconfident side, but players like Tanner and Atkinson should improve further as they play more Championship games and move into their mid-20s.

With the right coaching of course!