IGNORED

Reading accept points deduction

Waconda

2 minutes ago, phantom said:

How bad is it that we are relying on others having points deducted now !!

Though it will be interesting to see how accurate this story turns out to be

We aren't.

We're on the same points as reading already, 10 points clear of Hull in the relegation zone and even without their deduction Derby would be below us.

• Like 9

This is vindication if or when it happens for those clubs who act correctly. Such as ours.

That said, I'd hope that we would be looking at surviving or even hitting lower midtable this season irrespective of failings of others.

All the same, there is no point in rules and regulations with attached punishment if not upheld and enforced.

It is as @ExiledAjax said good to see a club accepting that they have screwed up seemingly but at the same time, their position could have forced their hand somewhat.

10 players out injured, defeats on the bounce and seemingly a wide range of key players expiring in the summer. Perhaps accepting now would enable them to get a couple of frees and loans in within some limits of course and give them a bit more freedom in terms of contract renewal, as opposed to risking total disaster next summer.

Swift eg is out of contract, and no way would he renew on £8.5k per week! Chipped in 60% of their goals and assists I believe.

In these scenarios the EFL can sit tight and in a sense say "You need it more than us". Who blinks first kinda thing. 

Edited by Mr Popodopolous
  • Like 1

51 minutes ago, phantom said:

Of course you might argue (I definitely would) that if we broke ffp we might be doing better than 18th.  So I don’t see it as relying I see it as “they cheated, it’s actually impacted us….so f##k ‘em”.

When I see clubs like Wycombe who got relegated purely on time taken to get a penalty imposed, I don’t ever see it as per your bold sentence.

• Like 5
  • Flames 1

8 minutes ago, Bazooka Joe said:

Maybe EFL could allocate some additional points to our meagre total, just because we have been so compliant.

It’s interesting that in the salary cap proposals that the financial penalties incurred by non-compliant clubs would be shared back out to those clubs that were compliant.  Good idea imho.

• Like 4

19 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

It’s interesting that in the salary cap proposals that the financial penalties incurred by non-compliant clubs would be shared back out to those clubs that were compliant.  Good idea imho.

What does "imho" mean, Dave?

20 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

Its a bit shit tbh, they need to be punished, but what punishment is it to a club who are 17th and the points deduction won't put them in the relegation zone. 'Oh well onto next season after we see out this one' with the same squad. Really their 3 year period losses allowance should be made smaller imo. From £39m to say £30m (or less for more serious breaches), reduce their budget by almost a 1/10 per season and see what they have to do with their squad to meet new amount. Having to sell players/work with a smaller budget would be much tougher for teams, further breach leads to more significant punishment. 

3 hours ago, phantom said:

It's just a matter of pragmitism........we are a pretty dire football team at the moment....... who have to take any crumb of help we can get....Ha!

Edited by maxjak

3 hours ago, VT05763 said:

It’ll need to be far more than 9 points to help our cause.

1 hour ago, Frenchay Red said:

I think the points deduction is far too complicated. Any club that has breached the FFP rules should be handed a far simpler yet harsher penalty.

Namely:  "your final league position will be below Bristol City"

Just need to find one more naughty club

:noexp:

I vote for Cardiff.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

5 minutes ago, Peter O Hanraha-hanrahan said:

It’ll need to be far more than 9 points to help our cause.

Agreed. And I'm not convinced Derby won't overhaul us either, unless they get a further points penalty. I certainly can't see us beating them where it really counts - out on the pitch.

Unless January brings a miracle, we're in a scrap with Barnsley, Hull, Peterborough and Preston. Which leaves very little margin for error and I don't like those odds one bit.  

• Like 1
  • Hmmm 1

3 hours ago, Lrrr said:

Its a bit shit tbh, they need to be punished, but what punishment is it to a club who are 17th and the points deduction won't put them in the relegation zone. 'Oh well onto next season after we see out this one' with the same squad. Really their 3 year period losses allowance should be made smaller imo. From £39m to say £30m (or less for more serious breaches), reduce their budget by almost a 1/10 per season and see what they have to do with their squad to meet new amount. Having to sell players/work with a smaller budget would be much tougher for teams, further breach leads to more significant punishment. 

I think their situation is a bit more complex in the present to the future- they will have to be under a business plan of some kind I would suspect and 19 > 10 drops them into a relegation scrap potentially in the here and now- timing can be everything. Psychologically this could be a blow for them too.

They may have to make further cutbacks or sales for next season in addition to the deduction, the final agreement/imposed arrangements will be interesting to see. The same squad? Questionable. Quite possible that the expectations will be to work towards- by which I mean hit or do better than- a £13m FFP loss this and next season.

31 minutes ago, Merrick's Marvels said:

Agreed. And I'm not convinced Derby won't overhaul us either, unless they get a further points penalty. I certainly can't see us beating them where it really counts - out on the pitch.

Unless January brings a miracle, we're in a scrap with Barnsley, Hull, Peterborough and Preston. Which leaves very little margin for error and I don't like those odds one bit.  

We've got Derby at home on Dec 4th so that'll be a 6-pointer!

• Like 2