IGNORED

Dasilva/Pring

The Dolman Pragmatist

6 minutes ago, Kid in the Riot said:

Dasilva has been a major disappointment, and to think we all thought we'd mugged Chelsea by only paying £2m for him. 

He was terrific on loan, well the 2nd half the season. 

Hasn't come back from the injury, is it confidence? Is it coaching?

• Like 1

I said to someone the other day that Pring had really impressed me this season, he had one bad game when he was moved back to left back (can’t rem who against) and hasn’t really featured since. One of the few players that can actually take a player on and put in a good cross, plus works really hard down left hand side and offers good protection to left back. 

I think having Pring infront on JD would really helps JD game as he’s obviously a talent but like most his form has been off for couple seasons. 

• Like 2

While I partly agree with the sentiment, the comparison is a little misleading in that Pring hasn't been played in his 'normal' position of left back as much as Dasilva. Not sure of the exact stats on that (sure someone will oblige), but I'm sure that's the case.

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, Selred said:

Yeah, he was. Unlike Palmer who we still went on to spunk £3m on.

3 minutes ago, brad blit said:

I think having Pring infront on JD would really helps JD game as he’s obviously a talent but like most his form has been off for couple seasons. 

Did this at Reading away and both of them did play well. 

Edited by Kid in the Riot
  • Like 3

I thought until he picked up an injury v Millwall, Jay was starting to find form again.

OP - just thought I’d share the game by game / position by position breakdown.  For info, Cam has started 3 games at LB for City, 1 at LWB, 6 at LM/W.  Baker played some at LB when Cam was LM/W.

43B2FE25-45D1-49AF-9B25-CDC5AD36F732.thumb.jpeg.176b481e6ef2b27dcef50fb6f5dec59a.jpeg
From a physical perspective I definitely see the advantages of Pring.  As for Saturday, I’d go Baker LB, Pring LM/W…..but I’d pick Pring over Dasilva at this point.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

I thought until he picked up an injury v Millwall, Jay was starting to find form again.

OP - just thought I’d share the game by game / position by position breakdown.  For info, Cam has started 3 games at LB for City, 1 at LWB, 6 at LM/W.  Baker played some at LB when Cam was LM/W.

43B2FE25-45D1-49AF-9B25-CDC5AD36F732.thumb.jpeg.176b481e6ef2b27dcef50fb6f5dec59a.jpeg
From a physical perspective I definitely see the advantages of Pring.  As for Saturday, I’d go Baker LB, Pring LM/W…..but I’d pick Pring over Dasilva at this point.

Dave - do you think Baker at left back is a good idea? Square pegs in Circular holes and all that…… 

4 minutes ago, Selred said:

Never made any sense that deal.

Yet wasn’t it so exciting? Signing three Chelsea youngsters who essentially made the spine of a new team to build around. 

One looks an expensive flop. 

Another is an expensive good player who doesn’t perform for us. 

And the last is an expensive tea cosy. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

5 minutes ago, brad blit said:

Dave - do you think Baker at left back is a good idea? Square pegs in Circular holes and all that…… 

Yes, because I think he’s looked fine playing their this season, and he brings physicality to our starting eleven.  Means you have an extra “big un” for defensive and attacking set-pieces….which in some respects means you can rest Martin.

A slightly different comparison view - goals for and against whilst a player is on the pitch.

image.thumb.png.01ca4c5cfe42a0fbb9f87e6db30f422a.png

29 minutes ago, Selred said:

Hasn't come back from the injury, is it confidence? Is it coaching?

It's more likely that he just isn't the same player he was before his injury. It happens all the time, and he's a shadow of his old self. 

• Like 3

In reality none of our full backs are good enough for Championship football, Pring and Tanner have potential, but not for two games a week, DaSilva and the bloody useless Simpson are just not good enough.

If we have any ambition, as a club, to avoid relegation we must bring in experienced replacements for RB and LB positions In January 

1 minute ago, Grey Fox said:

In reality none of our full backs are good enough for Championship football, Pring and Tanner have potential, but not for two games a week, DaSilva and the bloody useless Simpson are just not good enough.

If we have any ambition, as a club, to avoid relegation we must bring in experienced replacements for RB and LB positions In January 

Of course, in League One next season Pring and Tanner will be fine, if that is the plan.

And yes, I am seriously pi….Ed off

It wasn't too long ago that Dasilva was regarded as one of the best LB's in the league, I'm not sure what the solution is but definitely wouldn't give up on him just yet. He has that bit of class about him and feel he will start firing again with a bit of confidence.

As others have said, a left side of Dasilva with Pring in front could be the answer long term, this looked fairly strong earlier in the season.

• Like 2

23 minutes ago, JonDolman said:

Dasilva has been quite disappointing this season.

I think it's a bit like Pato in that he's not really suited to Pearson tactics, we are unlikely to see the best of him playing in this team.

I imagine if a team like Swansea signed him from us then their fans would be raving about him!

Looking at player performances in general, many could and should do better.

Even people starting to wonder if Matty James is good enough. Well he looked quality for Coventry and apparently was very good for Barnsley before that.

Seems to be a bit of a pattern here.

Pring gets back in when 100% I think.

A pattern of sign for Bristol city and play absolutely crap and be inconsistent.. How many players have we signed since Johnson walked through the door up until Pearson. The turn over is incredible. Johnson must of signed at least 5 X starting 11 squads in his period 60 odd players.

1 hour ago, Red7 said:

While I partly agree with the sentiment, the comparison is a little misleading in that Pring hasn't been played in his 'normal' position of left back as much as Dasilva. Not sure of the exact stats on that (sure someone will oblige), but I'm sure that's the case.

59 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

And I was also fairly sure that the someone would be @Davefevs ?

• Haha 2

DaSilva since being injured has lost all pace, he is continually be skinned by wingers now, he always had a problem with his height, but that coupled now with lack of pace makes him a liability at LB. If he plays at all, then it would be in front or Pring, but you may as well play Odowda who offers more going forward

I actually think Dasilva has been ok, not a world beater but ok.

His availability record this season has been decent, too.

I’m not as convinced as others about him defensively (he got a chasing from Jordan Graham first half last night) but at the time we bought him £2m was relatively little.

I’d rather see him playing in front of Pring or Baker but am not about to write him off.

I’m struggling with the comment above about the 3 Chelsea players though, Palmer has been a flop, but for me Kalas certainly has not & at 23 I’m not giving up on Dasilva yet.

• Like 4

3 minutes ago, GrahamC said:

I actually think Dasilva has been ok, not a world beater but ok.

His availability record this season has been decent, too.

I’m not as convinced as others about him defensively (he got a chasing from Jordan Graham first half last night) but at the time we bought him £2m was relatively little.

I’d rather see him playing in front of Pring or Baker but am not about to write him off.

I’m struggling with the comment above about the 3 Chelsea players though, Palmer has been a flop, but for me Kalas certainly has not & at 23 I’m not giving up on Dasilva yet.

Dasilva has had an awful time with injuries and that has to be seen as part of the context. I think he has struggled this season but we've seen that - before his injuries - he looked very good at this level and I certainly agree it would be a mistake to write off a 23 year old. The club really need to look at how to get him back to his previous level though and, at the moment, Pring or a fit Baker have to be ahead of him. 

• Like 1