IGNORED

Dasilva/Pring

The Dolman Pragmatist

2 hours ago, weepywall said:

Dasilva been a very disappointing signing in my opinion.

How can a footballer brought through the Chelsea Academy and who represented England at U-16 to U-19's be so poor?   It's like he's been taken over by an extra from "Invasion of the Body Snatchers".......WTF has happened to Jay?  He is beyond awful at present IMHO

3 hours ago, brad blit said:

I said to someone the other day that Pring had really impressed me this season, he had one bad game when he was moved back to left back (can’t rem who against) and hasn’t really featured since. One of the few players that can actually take a player on and put in a good cross, plus works really hard down left hand side and offers good protection to left back. 

I think having Pring infront on JD would really helps JD game as he’s obviously a talent but like most his form has been off for couple seasons. 

Alternatively the other way round: Pring is a better defender, could still get forward and put crosses in, while Dasilva (who is technically better) can get more involved in improving our passing in midfield?

• Like 1

Like many players, we do not play the football that suits their game. Also, the lack of options and movement from midfield and the strikers massively limits what JD can do.

Every pass from a centre back or Bentley to Jay is onto his right foot, so he has to either control with his weaker foot, or his first touch is with his left and it's coming back towards our own goal. If you watch Van Dijk pass to Robertson, look how many times it's in front of him so he can just step on to it and move forward at pace.

On the odd occasion that Jay does get the ball and is facing the opposition goal, no-one moves. The rest of the team are like statues. He has no-one to pass to inside, no-one makes a run down the line, or gets close enough to get some neat triangles going. His only options then are to chip it down the line to Martin (pointless), have a go at a mazy dribble (works probably 2/5 times) or pass back to Atkinson or Baker (who lump it down the line to Martin who hasn't moved in 3 minutes).

JD is not a bad player, we need to get the players around him that are on the same wave length of wanting to actually receive the ball.

Semenyo is our best hope for that, but the poor guy can only score with his arse blocking the ball.

Edited by grifty

4 hours ago, maxjak said:

How can a footballer brought through the Chelsea Academy and who represented England at U-16 to U-19's be so poor?   It's like he's been taken over by an extra from "Invasion of the Body Snatchers".......WTF has happened to Jay?  He is beyond awful at present IMHO

He joined Bristol City FC, we drag em down to our level ?‍♂️

3 minutes ago, Will b11 said:

Would still go for Dasilva IMO , was quality on loan and we need him to get back to that level , I wouldn’t say he’s been that bad imo either , still only 23 so still time for him to develop 

He’s actually younger than Pring, and has 78 Champ appearances under his belt.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, Gillies Downs Leeds said:

Said on another thread I think he is so overated and easily targeted by the opposition.

I’ve consistently said it for a very long time. Obviously a talented footballer with the ball at his feet. But he lacks any desire as a defender to actually defend. I’ve never seen him show any real willingness to stop his man get the ball into our box, it’s simply incredible how easily he allows attacking opponents to do this. 

• Like 1

I like Jay, and think he's a good player. Not as good this season as he has been in the past I'll accept.

I don't think we're playing a good game for him, as @grifty mentioned above.

Technically I think he's excellent. With the ball at his feet in a tight space he does some great things and is one of the best in the squad, often beating one or even two players - even in a dangerous area. His height is an issue, but not an insurmountable one imo. I think he wants the ball, to play a short one two up the line or into midfield, receive in a small space and work his way past someone etc. which just isn't what we're even trying to do at the moment. I don't think he's as interested in sprinting up the line to take a high ball down which was pumped up from the back, or smash one up the line for the guy in front of him to run onto.

As @Davefevs said above too, it's easy to forget how young he is as we've seen so much of him. Same age as Pring, Bakinson, Atkinson, Cundy etc. so while he has a lot more experience (and should be judged as such) he's also not the finished article by any means.

I'd be really disappointed if we ditched him at this point, although I've been very impressed with Pring.

Edited by IAmNick
  • Like 3
  • Flames 1

4 hours ago, JonDolman said:

I think game plan has really not suited him at all. Wouldn't surprise me if he had a fair bit of interest at this level if Nige doesn't fancy him. Especially with many teams playing wing backs nowadays.

What are you basing that fanciful theory on?

We have played 16 league games so far, Dasilva has featured in 15 of them, which would suggest Nige does see him as an important member of his 18 on that evidence.

Palmer or O’Dowda maybe, but not Dasilva based on this.

32 minutes ago, GrahamC said:

What are you basing that fanciful theory on?

We have played 16 league games so far, Dasilva has featured in 15 of them, which would suggest Nige does see him as an important member of his 18 on that evidence.

Palmer or O’Dowda maybe, but not Dasilva based on this.

Usual fan comment at times like these!

@JonDolman im picking on you now. ?

Nige once said (last season when injured) Callum is a key player, does Nige not fancy him anymore?  Is some of your recent criticism of Nige partly a reflection of him looking like he’s lost faith in O’Dowda.  You were backing Nige a few weeks back.

4 hours ago, sh1t_ref_again said:

That does not impact the fact wingers are running rings around him as he does not seem to have any pace now

They are not running rings round him? The Birmingham winger actually only got past him once. He put two good balls in early on and them the rest were hitting the first man.

Pace I will give you, but he was never lighting and isn’t a player who is going to get up and down the wing all game, so we shouldn’t really expect him too.

I think 1 on 1 (on the ground) Jay is pretty good actually, he is often let down by his positioning and teams targeting his height.

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, grifty said:

They are not running rings round him? The Birmingham winger actually only got past him once. He put two good balls in early on and them the rest were hitting the first man.

Pace I will give you, but he was never lighting and isn’t a player who is going to get up and down the wing all game, so we shouldn’t really expect him too.

I think 1 on 1 (on the ground) Jay is pretty good actually, he is often let down by his positioning and teams targeting his height.

Sorry you must be having selective memory the Birmingham winger done him several times for pace as did the WBA winger. Since his injury he is not the same player, ok going forward but a liability at the back

7 hours ago, grifty said:

Might’ve got beaten more than once, but a lot of the time Jay got a block in, etc.  I do think there is a tendency to see a winger attacking a FB and assume it’s a roasting.

A8A8C7B8-495E-4556-9005-E91377305B77.jpeg.30ffbe68302bc9003ac20d48e3590da8.jpeg

2BD11858-C20C-4162-9DD2-07155D42CAE5.jpeg.1fbc2abde4c26ec2ae511246d11342cc.jpeg

Graham first two, Dasilva below.

E4C9F9D9-75D0-40C2-AD82-D23A8B325761.jpeg.6beea952e73406a25a217b2daef6d066.jpeg

• Thanks 1