if only we had kept the faith

where's the joy

5 minutes ago, where's the joy said:

Where would this team be now

Bentley

Ayling, Webster, Kelly, Bryan

Brownhill, Smith, Patterson, Pack, Eliason 

Reid 

The problem isn't keeping our best players - they all got better offers than we could make except Smith who had been injured for 2 seasons.

The problem is replacing them with average league 1 players and players that prem teams are desperate to offload for over inflated prices.

So under all circumstances - those players would now all be elsewhere.

• Like 4

Let's not forget that a number of the signings- yes there were a number of out and out flops- but a number had their time here ruined by injury, thereby making it harder to judge what they could truly do in some cases.

Plus think a number were not great tactical fits but that cuts both ways- LJ and his tactics limited us in certain areas in his final year and a half. Say from 2019/20 to the end of his time. All that said, 3 or 4 of his starters got crocked within 6-7 weeks of his final season! Thereby destroying the blueprint as was.

Edited by Mr Popodopolous

2 hours ago, harrys said:

Wouldn’t have Pack anywhere near the team, decent third division player

And yet would walk into this team for seasons to come. 
Always wanted the ball, always trying for a pass. Yet another shameful departure. 

1 hour ago, Fordy62 said:

I think ten is the answer. Leaving us with a 0-0-0 formation. 

Similar formation to now then with our non existent defence, midfield and striker departments!

• Like 2

Just now, westex red said:

losing Eliason, Ayling and Webster was a huge mistake

And Pack is still sorely missed!

I don't remember much of an outcry when Ayling left. Eliasson was running down his contract so we needed to get some value for him. Webster wanted to go and the fee was too big to refuse anyway.

• Like 3
  • Flames 1

Just now, chinapig said:

That mistake is the wrong word given that we could not realistically have held on to 2 of them.

Ayling may look like a mistake in retrospect as he has been transformed by Bielsa but not many fans were complaining at the time.

I agree with you totally, just think we miss these players.

• Like 1

It still utterly astounds me how many on here do not get how modern football and FFP work.

Lets take Adam Webster as an example - was excellent for us, but that was noticed, Villa came in for him and we said no, que disappointed player due to the fact that Villa would probably have quadrupled his wages.

In come Brighton and they make an acceptable offer to the club and I am sure to the player too.

On what planet do people think he would want to stick around?

Answer he wouldn’t, it happens to all clubs and there is nothing we can do about it.

Edited by ScottishRed
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

... a number had their time here ruined by injury, thereby making it harder to judge what they could truly do in some cases.

Who were those players? Not saying you’re wrong, but I can’t remember ‘a number’ having their City careers ‘ruined by injury’ - happy to be proved wrong though and give my memory a jolt ... ???