IGNORED

January..

PFree

So, the transfer window opens again soon.

Just a thought but on the positives, might we be able to get a decent loan or two in..?

On the negative, and as we will most certainly have to sell to help balance the books, imagine what’s left of our side if we sell Bents, HNM or Kalas, or more than one, now that’s frightening..!

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, JonDolman said:

The problem is we get in a good player from elsewhere and they'll probably be crap for us.

Matty James was just about the most guaranteed championship quality player we could have signed. And recently fans wondering if he's good enough. Well he clearly is in my opinion, but the problems aren't as simple as players not having the ability.

Probably best to go for a big man up top and if Semenyo returns then go 4141 out of possession and 433 in possession. Nige has talked about going 433.

Hopefully at least try and look solid and have a bit of an awkward big man up top opposing defences have to worry about.

Could really do with a prime Diedhiou back actually at the moment. He was far from perfect but a handful at this level.

As for realistic targets, I have no idea. Would Smith from Rotherham be an option. And can we even afford him.

Based on what I've seen of Smith - I can't see him being a massive upgrade on Martin. A tad quicker perhaps, but that's about it. 

It's all a bit depressing - the only way out of this, considering our financial constraints, is to discover unknown players. That won't happen very easily if our recruitment isn't up to scratch. 

I don't think we'll see much movement of players into or out of the club. I believe NP alluded to this previously. 

Fans forget that even loans have fees - they're not free. If we do recruit, it may well be a "George Tanner type" signing (lower league, relatively cheap, not expected to immediately make a big impact in the starting 11).

In terms of outgoings, we'll struggle to get rid of any of the players we might want to (e.g. Palmer). I'm not sure anyone will come in for our best players just yet - think that's probably more likely in summer.

• Like 1

Money tight, options limited and January notoriously bad for value signings.....  Vs. ..... We might be desperate

I don't see us doing much business, I'm still hoping that the change in coaching staff improves what we have, it  has to really.
Alternatively the obvious one is to sign a real target man, but who? I still think we missed a trick not going for Deeney, exactly what we could do with. Not saying he would have chosen us, Brum being his boyhood club etc. If we did go for a traditional target man, we could do with one that has experience at this level, which reduces options even more.  But it's either that, or pace, and it looks like Pearson wants a Martin type judging by the amount of games he's played. 

What's Andy Carrol doing these days ?

You know things are bad when you start looking to the Jan window to save your season.

That said, we certainly need a couple in. I hope we have somehing lined up already and don't get involved in the panic driven chaos that the Jan window often becomes.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Gazred said:

You know things are bad when you start looking to the Jan window to save your season.

That said, we certainly need a couple in. I hope we have somehing lined up already and don't get involved in the panic driven chaos that the Jan window often becomes.

Yes.  Right now, it feels to me we desperately need, as a minimum,  someone with presence up front - who can also help defend set pieces at the back…. a Diedhiou type…. But that will be expensive!

As you say, unless things dramatically improve,  we need that on 1Jan not 31 Jan. 

I'd like us to get a winger in. Run out of patience with CO'D but feel we're missing balance as Semenyo and CO'D feel the only natural options and both have been injured of late. Pring, Palmer, Scott, Weimann can play there but it doesn't feel as comfortable to me. Going back to when we signed Wells, I've felt that creating chances and progressing the ball is a bigger issue than actually finishing the chances and I hope this would help address that. Also, I want to see something exciting after a poor couple seasons and it'd be great to see a winger that can make something out of nothing for us rather than the opposition! 

Wouldn't want to say how realistic it is (Shakespeare link??) but Jaden Philogene-Bidace from Villa might be an option on loan. 8 goal involvements in 1,018 minutes in 20/21 and 5 goal involvements in 225 minutes so far in 21/22 suggest he is ready for a test away from PL2. However he's barely getting around the first team for Villa who have played with wing backs frequently this season, and if that's something they continue with I imagine that would limit his opportunities too. 

Edited by CheddarReds

As a minimum we need 3

Need a Left back - Pring can cover and also play wide. Would move JD on if can he can’t defend. Would give better balance to squad and allow players to cover elsewhere.

Need a striker - only have 2 at the club mistake to not get someone in the summer.

Need a midfielder - James, HNM & Williams can’t play every game and no one else good enough.

If we could I would like to see a winger in as well.  

1 hour ago, Better Red said:

As a minimum we need 3

Need a Left back - Pring can cover and also play wide. Would move JD on if can he can’t defend. Would give better balance to squad and allow players to cover elsewhere.

Need a striker - only have 2 at the club mistake to not get someone in the summer.

Need a midfielder - James, HNM & Williams can’t play every game and no one else good enough.

Wishful thinking.

32 minutes ago, Grey Fox said:

Two full backs, right and left and at least one strong ball winning midfielder, minimum.

Funny how different people view what we need. At the moment you could argue we need that and a big man up top, but I dont think we will be getting more than 2 and I imagine we will have to see outgoings too.

For me ideally i would see Palmer and COD go because they clearly aren't good enough for this level. COD is a strange one because he has had some brilliant games but was in and out of the LJ teams and i think it affected his confidence. 

27 minutes ago, Kodjias Wrist said:

Funny how different people view what we need. At the moment you could argue we need that and a big man up top, but I dont think we will be getting more than 2 and I imagine we will have to see outgoings too.

For me ideally i would see Palmer and COD go because they clearly aren't good enough for this level. COD is a strange one because he has had some brilliant games but was in and out of the LJ teams and i think it affected his confidence. 

If we sign 1 more than we get rid of I will be surprised (maybe a loan). I can't imagine we will be paying for anyone.

If we offload COD or Palmer I will be very surprised - both are on good contracts that they wouldn't get anywhere else.

The only saleable asset that's worth more to someone else than to us is HNM, if he goes then we would need to spend that money very very well on players that are at a great price, play in the positions we need filled, can compete in the championship, young and have good resale value. Basically perfect players - so good luck with that.

8 hours ago, Better Red said:

As a minimum we need 3

James, Williams, and Massengo can not see that fit that the big problem

10 hours ago, Better Red said:

As a minimum we need 3

It would be lovely if Williams could actually play a game every now and then!!

21 hours ago, JonDolman said:

Probably best to go for a big man up top and if Semenyo returns then go 4141 out of possession and 433 in possession. Nige has talked about going 433.

Hopefully at least try and look solid and have a bit of an awkward big man up top opposing defences have to worry about.

Could really do with a prime Diedhiou back actually at the moment. He was far from perfect but a handful at this level.

As for realistic targets, I have no idea. Would Smith from Rotherham be an option. And can we even afford him.

Keinan Davis might be the right type, but it seems Stoke were close to making that deal before his injury. He does seem quite injury prone and Nige doesn't seem to be interested in loans anyway, but that might have changed with the situation we are in.

A bit depressing if what we want is a big lump up front to receive all the long kicks from Bentley. I would hope this isn't the vision the Nige has. Not exactly an entertaining style to watch is it.

A bit more pace is what I'd like to see up front and out wide. 

Edited by robin_unreliant
  • Thanks 1

I’m no expert on finances but it was my impression that FFP rules regarding budget and amounts allowed to be spent aren’t adjusted mid-season as they are based on end of year financial reports. 
Therefore if we didn’t have much money to spend in the summer there won’t be much or indeed any in the winter window either. 
Unless a saleable asset is sold on (ie HNM or Kalas) then we’d probably be looking at loans.

What do we need? Pace and energy up top, mainly competition for an aging Martin who’s playing a thankless role with no1 to help 

2 hours ago, brad blit said:

I’m no expert on finances but it was my impression that FFP rules regarding budget and amounts allowed to be spent aren’t adjusted mid-season as they are based on end of year financial reports. 
Therefore if we didn’t have much money to spend in the summer there won’t be much or indeed any in the winter window either. 
Unless a saleable asset is sold on (ie HNM or Kalas) then we’d probably be looking at loans.

What do we need? Pace and energy up top, mainly competition for an aging Martin who’s playing a thankless role with no1 to help 

FFP - clubs have to submit projected accounts in March for the current season.

Essentialky though, at the start of the season (ignoring FFP for the mo), club would set their budget(s).  They can flex that however they like through the season, as long as they don’t spend more than FFP (or face the consequences).

As it currently stands, we have considerable wiggle room in FFP for the cycle of seasons that goes up to the end of this season.  Shock, horror….so why aren’t we using it?  Good question….because the profit of 18/19 (£11.9m) drops off at the end of this season.  So we’d have to have a fire sale this summer….and not sure we have lots of valuable assets.