IGNORED

Press Conference Today...

The Original OTIB

51 minutes ago, billywedlock said:

This is a huge point and essential comment .

I posted yesterday a quote from Nige about how his Leicester side ( when returning) looked good on paper , but that was it . Took him time to get the right mental balance . And this is key for a successful side . There will be many similar players at this level on a technical level ( flawed …) but a promotion side needs big character . We are weak . That is recruitment looking at the wrong attributes . The most stupid thing … we know this . Look at our promotion side from L1 . It was shown to us what a promotion side feels like  , clear as hell . Yet we then let Ashton run amok aided by LJ . I recall after one usual summer of 6/7 signings Lee saying how happy he was with the new players . A month in he was citing lack of leaders and physical strength . I was astonished , that was when I was finished with both of them . They clearly had no plan or strategy . ( FWIW I think LJ is best when he has limited choices as that takes confusion out of his head )

I digress . The lack of mental strength and confidence is why on paper we might look a good team but in reality are nowhere at the races .

I read your post yesterday, and it really resonated with me.  How many times have we said there is rebuild going on, and results aren’t the only optic.

GrahamC talked about freezing players out, and I think that although to some it will feel like Nige is a big bully, I think he’s also testing them.

Lots of stuff going on that we can’t see.  Oh to be a fly on the wall.

• Like 2

9 hours ago, Hampshire reds said:

negative bore off. i assume you mean me :laugh:. Get real the manager is hardly positive is he or is he. i unfortunately was at St Andrews not sure if you were Dynamite red but i have every right to be negative having spent money getting to and watching what was total crap. But if you are happy with what you are watching then thats fine. good on you.

to be fair hr i did not go in the week but 5 of our lads did and they echo what you have said.as i said last week i was on the fence with np but he needs to turn it around quick.fair play to alot of posters on here for backing and i give them my full respect for that.what i cant understand is all the excuses being made for him,never known it with any other man in charge but as i said fair play to the posters that can stay postive.

• Like 1

Players Mental strength and confidence low!!! In their own ability or in what they are being asked to do by the manager?

These players individually have the quality to do much better. Imo, the coaching team should be getting more out of them.

Or are some of them under the impression they aren't good enough under the new regime and won't be in future plans...

For me...regardless of who's playing, have been set up poorly on some occasions. 

NP mentioned after the last game our inability to stop crosses coming in. This has been going on for years. I've never known a team allow so many balls into their own box.

Nearly every team exploits our weakness...the wide spaces between full backs and wider midfield. Diagonal balls, after drawing us across the other side of the pitch. So slow to move across and defend. 

It's so easy to play against us...it's basic...and I don't know why they don't resolve the problem.

• Like 6

7 hours ago, billywedlock said:

Oh yes . He is testing them . He mentioned players sulking again this week . We are going through a transition from a great team on paper to a great team . We need big characters . How the hell do fans think we will ever get promoted otherwise ! I’m enjoying the pain in a sense that this is done thing that has driven me bonkers post the L1 championship side being dismantled . 

IMHO we did not keep up with the physical change in football and the huge athletic need to conifer these days . You add in a squad assembled with no regard to mental and confidence , maybe bravery ideals and you get the total mess we have . 

I’m not oblivious to current rubbish on the pitch , but damn it I feel we are putting g right some massive issues at our club . Yes I need Nige to now sort recruitment a d bring in a top top coach . But finally I feel we will become a proper Prem club in waiting . Fans need to take some pain , too many thinking this is a quick fix . In 3 years this club should be something special. If then we get near the Prem we might actually have a chance of staying there .

too many superficial comments based on emotion not on hard reality . This is what happens when you change the culture of a club . About time for me . It’s what i have wanted . Raising the level everywhere, we still need recruitment and coaching to catch up  . We have been a L1 club for too long . 

Nige is making us face up to our superficial management of the last 5 years . Recognising your issues is the first step to progress . Step 2 is doing something about it .

Nige has to be allowed to do more and faster . It was crazy he was muddling by with 2 coaches that were far from ideal .

Anyway. Tough love right now . Get behind the team. 

Great post. Fans, plenty on here just look at the surface . Yes football is results based but, some wanting him sacked is just lazy. It’s a proper root & branch overhaul . 

• Like 1

Oh yes . He is testing them . He mentioned players sulking again this week . We are going through a transition from a great team on paper to a great team . We need big characters . How the hell do fans think we will ever get promoted otherwise ! I’m enjoying the pain in a sense that this is done thing that has driven me bonkers post the L1 championship side being dismantled . 

IMHO we did not keep up with the physical change in football and the huge athletic need to conifer these days . You add in a squad assembled with no regard to mental and confidence , maybe bravery ideals and you get the total mess we have . 

I’m not oblivious to current rubbish on the pitch , but damn it I feel we are putting g right some massive issues at our club . Yes I need Nige to now sort recruitment a d bring in a top top coach . But finally I feel we will become a proper Prem club in waiting . Fans need to take some pain , too many thinking this is a quick fix . In 3 years this club should be something special. If then we get near the Prem we might actually have a chance of staying there .

too many superficial comments based on emotion not on hard reality . This is what happens when you change the culture of a club . About time for me . It’s what i have wanted . Raising the level everywhere, we still need recruitment and coaching to catch up  . We have been a L1 club for too long . 

Nige is making us face up to our superficial management of the last 5 years . Recognising your issues is the first step to progress . Step 2 is doing something about it .

Nige has to be allowed to do more and faster . It was crazy he was muddling by with 2 coaches that were far from ideal .

Great post BW. I share your confidence that given time NP will transform our club. Whilst I understand the emotion attached to poor results/performances I am trying to look at the bigger picture. You can’t make an omelette without breaking a few eggs and all that. 
It is difficult to watch some of the recent games and not vent your frustration. Our club has been too cosy for too long and this transition will be bumpy. I try and keep this in mind but it isn’t always easy!!

In reality the reshaping of the squad is the key thing. This will take time. I am all for NP testing the players and finding out who has what it takes. This will by nature lead to more inconsistencies as he comes to decisions on players. The reality is that there will be several he doesn’t want in the squad as our resources are limited. Managing this will be a challenge. As long as we stay up I really don’t care where we finish as long as the hard yards behind the scenes are taking place. The medicine won’t taste very good but we’ll be much better for it.

All that being said I will be as emotionally invested in the next game as anyone. I just hope that by Saturday night/ Sunday morning I will have regained my perspective.

• Like 1

Good post BW.  The Cosy Club ain’t very cosy at the mo’….and nor should it be.  Noses will be put out of joint.

1 hour ago, spudski said:

Players Mental strength and confidence low!!! In their own ability or in what they are being asked to do by the manager?

These players individually have the quality to do much better. Imo, the coaching team should be getting more out of them.

Or are some of them under the impression they aren't good enough under the new regime and won't be in future plans...

For me...regardless of who's playing, have been set up poorly on some occasions. 

NP mentioned after the last game our inability to stop crosses coming in. This has been going on for years. I've never known a team allow so many balls into their own box.

Nearly every team exploits our weakness...the wide spaces between full backs and wider midfield. Diagonal balls, after drawing us across the other side of the pitch. So slow to move across and defend. 

It's so easy to play against us...it's basic...and I don't know why they don't resolve the problem.

Fair post Spud.  Looks like they’re being asked to do the basics, work hard, show commitment, etc.  Most appear to have bought into that.

It is a difficult time managing the dynamic of trying to move on players you no longer need.  In an ideal world he’d have another 6 or 7 players in his first team squad, and he could ignore those not part of his plans.  But due to budget constraints he’s having to keep them involved 1) to enable training needs are met, e.g. intensive 11v11s and 2) in case they’re needed in the 18.  Ideally he would have plenty of others to pick from.

I think he’s started to confirm in his own mind who has a “ticket for the bus”, but he’s giving a few reminders that there won’t be “pay on the day”, so make sure you “buy now”. This is a gear up for January imho.  Players like O’Dowda could go “pre-contract” in January.

Tactical stuff, is a whole different discussion.

• Like 2

17 hours ago, Hampshire reds said:

i have taken alot of stick on here about wanting a new manager. I know they wont replace him anytime soon. He does not fill me with any hope he will turn this run of bad results around. he never shows any enthusiasm for the job at his press conference 3k fans going to Coventry on sat i prey me and all city fans have something to cheer. if not i fear the support will turn. 

I think he see's himself more like a director of football leaving things like coaching and sitting on the bench during games to others. Lets face it what does he have to lose? If he stays and we go down he still gets paid and he says he is suffering from a squad assembled by others. If he gets sacked he gets paid out.

Unlike oldies like McCarthy and Colin, he seems to have lost his passion and this is just a nice little interlude on the way into full retirement.

• Haha 1

13 hours ago, Sir Geoff said:

Atkinson had time to turn inside and roll a simple pass back to Bentley thus retaining possession. Instead he sliced an upfield punt out for a cheap throw in about 10 yards up the pitch.

I remember saying "oh no" when Atkinson was given the ball in that situation, can't remember who gave it to him but I recall thinking he shouldn't have had it there, lots of bodies about. I may remember incorrectly though.

9 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

Good post BW.  The Cosy Club ain’t very cosy at the mo’….and nor should it be.  Noses will be put out of joint.

Fair post Spud.  Looks like they’re being asked to do the basics, work hard, show commitment, etc.  Most appear to have bought into that.

It is a difficult time managing the dynamic of trying to move on players you no longer need.  In an ideal world he’d have another 6 or 7 players in his first team squad, and he could ignore those not part of his plans.  But due to budget constraints he’s having to keep them involved 1) to enable training needs are met, e.g. intensive 11v11s and 2) in case they’re needed in the 18.  Ideally he would have plenty of others to pick from.

I think he’s started to confirm in his own mind who has a “ticket for the bus”, but he’s giving a few reminders that there won’t be “pay on the day”, so make sure you “buy now”. This is a gear up for January imho.  Players like O’Dowda could go “pre-contract” in January.

It's going to be difficult I think. Experienced players getting older and past their best, youngsters still not got enough under them for next season to be relied upon. Who's going to want to come here on lower wages that has the ability to play as NP wants and get us improve our situation. Bumpy ride this year and next imo.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, spudski said:

It's going to be difficult I think. Experienced players getting older and past their best, youngsters still not got enough under them for next season to be relied upon. Who's going to want to come here on lower wages that has the ability to play as NP wants and get us improve our situation. Bumpy ride this year and next imo.

Yep, it’s definitely not “it’ll be all fine once Jan window concludes”.  I would expect to see a clear playing style / identity evolve and become established as the season evolves though.

We need Recruitment nuggets.  We have little capability in Europe it seems from the Gilhespy interview, and that would be a good source of finding players under the radar who we don’t have to fight with the bigger boys to get.

I often think, we get player x because he’s our level, the teams above don’t want him.  We rarely win a race / fight to sign a player. 

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

I'm sure a few league one clubs will be at the ready. Ipswich, Oxford etc. Maybe Sunderland.

• Like 2

8 hours ago, billywedlock said:

I wish I could see what you're seeing, but I can't.

If I could at least see Pearson trying to impose a style of "football" instead of trying to rely on percentages, then I might think differently.

1 hour ago, steviestevieneville said:

Great post. Fans, plenty on here just look at the surface . Yes football is results based but, some wanting him sacked is just lazy. It’s a proper root & branch overhaul . 

A quick look through @Nogbad the Bad's thread from preseason, shows that very few (albeit a small sample size) expected us to finish top half.

Yet here we are with people losing their shit. I get the last few performances have been (very?) disappointing but there is a major job on here. The owner has no idea what to do, the chairman is a waste of space, so thet leaves Nige and Richard Gould to steer us in the right direction. Let them get on with it I say.

BTW, where is Noggers, not like him to have a month off...? Hope he's well.

Edited by glynriley
  • Like 3

38 minutes ago, JonDolman said:

Other teams have built their teams with cheap signings, frees and loans that are higher than us.

Surely NIge can do the same?

Depends on the coaches he brings in imo. He's a good man manager and motivator but imo he needs decent coaches around him.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, And Its Smith said:

Prediction time:

Coventry  2 v 0 Bristol City

Possession  57%   43%

Total Shots    13      6 

Shots on Target 7   2

Shots off Target 6   4

Big Chances     3     1

Pass Success 77%  65%

Corners          7      3

xG               1.8       0.5

MOTM Ian Maatsen 

2 shots on target. Progress ?

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, And Its Smith said:

Prediction time:

Coventry  2 v 0 Bristol City

Possession  57%   43%

Total Shots    13      6 

Shots on Target 7   2

Shots off Target 6   4

Big Chances     3     1

Pass Success 77%  65%

Corners          7      3

xG               1.8       0.5

MOTM Ian Maatsen 

You might have nailed it tbf.

Does 1 big chance only give an xG of .5?

17 minutes ago, billywedlock said:

I guess I could have also suggested, you get 10 George Tanners for the price of one Palmer. 

You probably also sell 10 George Tanners for a bit more profit than one Kasey Palmer. Buy KP for 3.5, maybe if he comes very good sell him 2 years later for for 10m and so 6.5m profit. Ten Tanners at 350K, even if you sell each one for an average of 1.5m, that's an average of 1.15m on each one, is 11.5m profit. Yes you're probably paying ten Tanners a bit more per annum than you pay one Palmer, and this is a very basic fag packet calculation, but if you're in it for the capital gains, then it's better to have more smaller items than one mega ticket.

I appreciate that this is very much a Football Manager view of things, and there's all sorts of variables that could wreck this, but as a hypothetical thought experiment it has minor merit imo.

23 hours ago, Shuffle said:

We have such a low bar where Bakinson is concerned that when he has a reasonable half, some become all upbeat about his ability. Second half was the performances we are use to for Tyreeq & the booking was embarrassing as it showed up his complete lack of pace. I hope I’m wrong & I eat my words but for his height, does he dominant in the air ? I’d love to see him race Martin as it would be close. I don’t see him flying into tackles & to the opposite I’ve seen him pull out of challenges.  On the plus side he can pick a pass & looks to play forward but mobility is going to be his biggest challenge.

Personally, he would be no where near my starting 11 but appreciate options are low.

That's exactly it in a nutshell. The bar is so low, and I'm looking for something vaguely positive to take from Tuesday.

• Like 1