IGNORED

Big Nige unwell again

CyderInACan

43 minutes ago, CyderInACan said:

I do hope that C-word a typo. 

Unfortunately, the habits of an older generation.

I remember well how, when discussing what to eat, almost as a last resort, somebody would sometimes suggest ‘What about a takeaway ‘Chinky’ - with apologies for repeating it.

On a similar, currently topical note, when in urgent need of a small household item out of normal shopping hours, it would not be uncommon for somebody to suggest trying the P shop on the corner.

Hopefully, most of us have progressed.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

5 hours ago, PHILINFRANCE said:

Unfortunately, the habits of an older generation.

I remember well how, when discussing what to eat, almost as a last resort, somebody would sometimes suggest ‘What about a takeaway ‘Chinky’ - with apologies for repeating it.

On a similar, currently topical note, when in urgent need of a small household item out of normal shopping hours, it would not be uncommon for somebody to suggest trying the P shop on the corner.

Hopefully, most of us have progressed.

Got any P’s ? 

Edited by Major Isewater
  • Haha 1

6 hours ago, pillred said:

A chinky, your brave, I can almost hear disgusted from Tunbridge Wells' tapping his keyboard  as I sit here.

sorry to anyone offended,i didnt realise this had changed as well.  it was reference to the chinese takeaway  i will efit it if my mistake causes offence, however,the comments regarding it,make more sense with with the original post there and i cant get slated for trying to cover a genuine unknown error if i do so.  ,i didnt know it would. if there are any offended chinese here,drop me a pm and i will personally apologise to you. 

• Like 7

41 minutes ago, redsquirrel said:

sorry to anyone offended,i didnt realise this had changed as well.  it was reference to the chinese takeaway  i will efit it if my mistake causes offence, however,the comments regarding it,make more sense with with the original post there and i cant get slated for trying to cover a genuine unknown error if i do so.  ,i didnt know it would. if there are any offended chinese here,drop me a pm and i will personally apologise to you. 

Too many people being offensive and too many people being over-sensitive to offence. The stupidity of modern times can be measured by the number of apologies being issued.

Anyway, come on you Reds! (apologies to any reactionaries who may be offended by my apparent call to Communism)

Edited by TedsHeadIs Red
  • Like 1
  • Haha 2

37 minutes ago, redsquirrel said:

I grew up with that term being used as a reference for a Chinese takeaway. However wrong it is now with the benefit of much greater racial awareness- I dont think any of us used the term knowing ( or wanting) it to be offensive. Well done for being honest enough to admit to being out of step and apologising....... back to the footie now. 3 points guaranteed. Massengo hat trick...... possibly......

• Like 2

7 hours ago, pillred said:

A chinky, your brave, I can almost hear disgusted from Tunbridge Wells' tapping his keyboard  as I sit here.

Not sure that disgusted from Tunbridge Wells would get it (i go there quite a lot). 
Pleased to say that Bristol in 2021 is the sort of place where most people would instinctively. Times change- sometimes v quickly- and my view is that it’s always worth distinguishing between those who use derogatory terms deliberately and with the aim to hurt, and those who do so clumsily or because they haven’t had a chance to catch up (this seems to be easier to acknowledge when, like me, your 56). As to the P word, I spent time in Australia in 1991 and the tv commentators used it routinely to describe players from Pakistan or the team as a whole. 
Meanwhile get well soon big Nige- Covid badly, twice- football, bloody hell.

1 hour ago, Bedred31 said:

Not sure that disgusted from Tunbridge Wells would get it (i go there quite a lot). 
Pleased to say that Bristol in 2021 is the sort of place where most people would instinctively. Times change- sometimes v quickly- and my view is that it’s always worth distinguishing between those who use derogatory terms deliberately and with the aim to hurt, and those who do so clumsily or because they haven’t had a chance to catch up (this seems to be easier to acknowledge when, like me, your 56). As to the P word, I spent time in Australia in 1991 and the tv commentators used it routinely to describe players from Pakistan or the team as a whole. 
Meanwhile get well soon big Nige- Covid badly, twice- football, bloody hell.

Your a mere youngster, it's very difficult for me as I grew up in the 60s and 70s the world was very different then, even though I try my hardest to keep up with modern terminology occasionally I have slipped up and have quickly been told on here in no uncertain terms, my common mistake is coloured or black and your right sometimes ignorance is a legitimate excuse as people even as young as you will have grown up using certain words and phrases and use them in all innocence, and yes if anyone was in any doubt about the dangers of covid our poor manager should be a lesson to us all, some people almost get away scot free others it hits like a sledgehammer the problem is nobody knows for certain which category they will fall into hence the importance of at least doing all you can and getting vaccinated to at least improve your chances of a good outcome.   

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1